PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides The Big & Dandy LSD & Shroom Tolerance FAQ and Discussion Thread

So if I take
day 1: 1 hit
day 2: 2 hits
day 3: 4 hits
on day 4 I would need 10 hits or 8? Does the previous tolerance add to it? Do I need like more than 10, maybe 12 or 16 to trip on day 4?

Tripping only once a year is best. Like people were saying other than physical 5-HT2 receptor tolerance etc. there's a certain psychological tolerance. You need to integrate one trip for the next one to be good and deep. Also have the time pass for new events in your life to happen and time to grow intellectually/emotionally, that next trip will be on a whole new level.

It's actually been 2 years since my last psychedelic digging (I had some MDMA/2C-B last summer with a few friends around a fire, one of the funnest nights of my life and I'll never forget, but it didn't dig or show me anything in particular).

Tripping once a year is best if you actually integrate the trips and make time for events and growth to happen between them.

I understand the psychedelic honeymoon though, I used to trip weekly, bi-weekly for a year or two. It just seemed to get more and more spaced out. I would trip every month, then every second month, and on, it stabilized around once every 6 months for a bit, now it's once a year, and last year's was mostly recreational without any real revelations.

Maybe tripping once a decade is better? ;)

This graph is genius. It can really help out if you have a slightly impatient personality or are just curious for one reason or another.
I've had an experience where one Monday i had taken some clean hits and come friday night i just calculated according to the graph and voila got the magic flowing again that night. Definitely useful.

But it seems word to the wise is to reign in on your appetite some :) and develop patience.
~Safe Journeys Aloha and Mahalo

Very glad to hear it, the sample size used to make it was not huge but consistent enough to project some expectations... after that I haven't really heard that much feedback about people actually using it. Of course people react differently and this graph is only an indication and not an exact science, because other factors basically being set and setting are always at play.

Happy tripping

aguythatlikessmoke, please don't post multiple times in a row. If you want to add something to your post, click the "Edit" button at the bottom right hand side of the post and add the information there :)

You really need to space your trips out more if you want to continue having such magical experiences. When anyone is new to psychedelics it's a natural response to trip rather often at first, overwhelmed by the novelty and excitement these compounds provide. Having had all that though I can honestly say I can far more from a single trip each month than I would tripping each week for example.

A huge part of the psychedelic experience is the integration period after your trip in which the thoughts, ideas, and experiences that you underwent during your trip can be used to make positive changes to your life. If you don't give yourself proper time to do this, your trips will stop benefiting you.

so.. how can one add new data points to this research? or is it long stopped?

cheers!

A huge part of the psychedelic experience is the integration period after your trip in which the thoughts, ideas, and experiences that you underwent during your trip can be used to make positive changes to your life. If you don't give yourself proper time to do this, your trips will stop benefiting you.

Can you integrate a psychedelic experience into your every day life tho JG? I always had trouble doing that. I can't really see how you can bring anything from a mushroom trip into getting up at 5am in the pissing rain and going to work. I tended to see a trip as a few hours holiday from ordinary life.

The long-term benefit I got from mushrooms was that they cured my depression tho - they just did something permanent to my brain that stopped me getting such serious depression.

^ I'd say that's integration right there :) sometimes it's smaller stuff like boosting creativity, giving you ideas for work, getting you out of a bad situation.. other times it's a more permanent mindset change that can happen all by itself, but usually needs a little help (whether that's during the trip, after, or both).

In my case for example, AMT helped me overcome my social anxiety. That was helped along by me taking it with my friend and talking about my trouble though - and then to integrate it fully I took those lessons and acted upon them, went out, faced my fears.. and I'm now proudly anxiety free :D

The long-term benefit I got from mushrooms was that they cured my depression tho - they just did something permanent to my brain that stopped me getting such serious depression.

I've read some studies on the affects of ketamine on depression, and it appears to make the brain less 'wired' for depression. Mushrooms might have a similar affect.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...lieve-depression/story-fn5fsgyc-1226387277231

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/depression-new-medications-on-the-horizon/all/1/

^ I'd say that's integration right there :) sometimes it's smaller stuff like boosting creativity, giving you ideas for work, getting you out of a bad situation.. other times it's a more permanent mindset change that can happen all by itself, but usually needs a little help (whether that's during the trip, after, or both).

In my case for example, AMT helped me overcome my social anxiety. That was helped along by me taking it with my friend and talking about my trouble though - and then to integrate it fully I took those lessons and acted upon them, went out, faced my fears.. and I'm now proudly anxiety free :D

This could be the case aswell. MDMA helped me overcome my social anxiety. And after dropping acid every weekend for about a month almost 2 years ago, I ditched my bipolar meds. I find on acid I get a temporary boost in perception/intelligence/insanity. Problems are amplified, but so is my ability to solve them - which leads to a promising outlook, where before it was kinda bleak.

And now to the OP. Thanks for the info. I came here looking for some more information on tolerance because I read elsewhere that you needed to wait 72 hours in between trips, and I was finding that wasn't the case.

So when does the tolerance start to diminish? After you peak? Im trying to figure out if tripping mon at 5 oclock will make me have to wait thur at 8pm or friday morn 5 oclock

Day 0 100%
Day 1 150-200%
Day 2 100-150%
Day 3 or greater 100%

I can't comment beyond 3 days. They make me happy, so I'll keep taking them.

Tom

Thanks, good of you to share either way Thomas but we stopped integrating more data into the graph (or, I did). There was an apparent range that was used to average and calculate a trend. For anyone wondering why maybe it's not that interesting to keep refining it is that this is not an exact science anyway and I doubt it would matter for our purposes. With typical polls this is not the best approach I realize, but we should all realize that it is more important that we take this as indication and rough guideline, and we should all use a proper and safe margin when redosing not to go too high. I never meant to give anyone a false sense of security.

I high dosed acid (600mcg) last weekend, does that graph mean:

A) after 14 days a 600mcg trip would feel the same strength, whilst a 100mcg trip would not be felt fully(as if I'd only done 100mcg fortnight before) and I need another few weeks for tolerance to drop.

B) after 14 days a 100mcg trip feels like I have no tolerance from fortnight before

Cheers

The graph is plotted as a function of the percentage of dose needed to take.

What this means is that if you tripped recently and within a couple of days want to trip again, you would need to take more (a higher dose) to achieve the same approximate level of intensity.

After about 14 days you see that the trendline falls back to about 100%. Independently of dose this would mean that any dose you take should be about as effective as it ever is without any tolerance.
There is chronic psychological tolerance and maybe even chronic downregulation (physiological tolerance), but we can't cover that here because it is way too complex, depends on a lot of factors and it depends on the person.

A week should drop the tolerance significantly, enough for a lot of people to assume it is gone and they can just take the dose they would take "normally". But of course, two weeks can give a better result because you allow yourself to return to baseline better. Still, you are not precisely back to square one because of the chronic psychological tolerance building (there is a recent thread on LSD and the novelty disappearing which is a result of this).
In this thread we deal mostly with tolerance of acute significance, we average it to at least provide *some* guidelines.

As far as crude tolerance goes, the extent to which a dose is felt "fully" does not depend on how large the dose is. Yet for psychological tolerance, this can mean that if you get used to large doses and positively expect them, lower doses can be a disappointment. Not necessarily because of actual tolerance but because you may be comparing the effects.

if i dose, then wait a week and dose again, i find the experience to not be as comfortable. the come up may be rougher, i may not feel as engulfed in the experience as i may like etc. if i wait 2-3 weeks, it helps alot with these things. trying to cut back and not do it more than once a month. done it alot the last year and rather have fewer, more meaningful trips at this point.

I've got a friend at school who did mushrooms every day for a week. I never really talked to him about it, but by the end of that week I have to imagine he wasn't getting much from them at all. Probably just a small buzzy feeling if anything.

I am asking my question in regards to low dose LSD (20-40ug) for its nootropic/cognitive enhancement effects (not regarding big psychedelic trips, although the mechanism of building up the tolerance will probably be the same).

Is there a way to shorten the time needed to get the same effects with the same low dose of LSD?
Any supplements?
Anything else that will help prevent serotonin receptors from down-regulating (that as I understand are the main cause for the tolerance)?

From my experience with low doses of LSD, there is a 3-4 days period needed to get almost the same result from the same low dose of LSD.
On the day after, the dose have almost no effect or let's say 10-20%.
On the second day after, it has about 50% effect.
On the third day after, it has about 80%.
On the fourth day, I would say it gets to 100% again.

Or is there a way to increase the effectiveness of LSD without increasing the dose?

Have you considered classical nootropics like racetams added to your low dose LSD? It wouldn't really take care of the downregulation but it can increase the effectivity of the LSD. However this can be pretty serious and unpredictable at full LSD doses as several people report, including myself. So you might wanna try that out on days you don't have commitments and responsibilities, and your mileage may vary...

But generally, no I never heard of an easy way to fix your problem... and if it turned out some heavy psychiatric medication could speed up recovery during the off periods of your cycle then I would find that a disproportionate measure - people get them through actual indications and prescriptions for a very good reason.

Have you considered classical nootropics like racetams added to your low dose LSD? It wouldn't really take care of the downregulation but it can increase the effectivity of the LSD. However this can be pretty serious and unpredictable at full LSD doses as several people report, including myself. So you might wanna try that out on days you don't have commitments and responsibilities, and your mileage may vary...

But generally, no I never heard of an easy way to fix your problem... and if it turned out some heavy psychiatric medication could speed up recovery during the off periods of your cycle then I would find that a disproportionate measure - people get them through actual indications and prescriptions for a very good reason.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Actually recently I've been having little amount of Piracetam (600mg) every other day. But I didn't expect it to improve LSD effectiveness although I've heard some people reporting this. Anyway I haven't paid enough attention to it so far, but I am going to research your suggestion now.
How much of Piracetam should I take and when exactly - just before low-dosing LSD?

I agree with you in regards to the heavy psychiatric stuff, but do you think it would have to be so heavy to "fight" the downregulation or we just don't know enough about its mechanism and this is what makes things seem hard for the moment.

Could you share what your experience with full dose of LSD and Piracetam was? How much of LSD (how many mcgs? ) and Piracetam (mg?) have you taken and when (Piracetam before LSD?)? What were the differences in effects in comparison to using full dose of LSD without Piracetam?