Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Legitimate pain medication question?

allupinyohair

Greenlighter
Hello all,

I'm currently on Endone for an incident I have shed some light on here a month or so ago but I'm wondering if there is anything else out there I can take because I'm not really liking the Endone anymore. I have tried Digesic but it didn't help with my pain relief, I cannot take any NSIADs (Ibuprofen) because my stomach is very sensitive (I was stabbed), Panadeine Forte along with any other product containing codeine also upsets my stomach a great deal. I am not allowed to try Tramal because I am currently on Prozac and the risks of Serotonin Syndrome are far too high. I have talked this over with my doctor but have told him I want to get off the Endone because like the codeine, it also upsets my stomach but he is unable to find a suitable substitute.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers.

have a read of this, its written for cancer patients however it gives a good run down of available meds in australia

pain meds

otherwise have you considered going the natural therapy path?

Talk to your doctor about Norspan.

or even durogesics, norspan would be the better option in this persons case. though theyll definitely try norspan (buprenorphine) before the durogesic (fentanyl)

all we can do is really give you suggestions when its ultimately you and the doctor who are making the decision

There may be some medical reason unknown to me as to why you shouldn't do this but I don't see any reason why you can't try smoking a bit of cannabis. When I broke my leg a while ago, I spent most of my time on codeine + cannabis and it really helped, they synergize very well.

I recently hurt my knee (pulled a tendon) and a strong indica and 60mg of codeine was the only thing that would have an effect on the pain. Codeine alone was good but the marijuana added a whole new level to it, it worked wonderfully for my pain. Definitely worth trying it out.

is medical marijuana available in australia yet? (couldnt be arsed googling!)

i believe there is a four year trial in nsw currently and also in act and the nt i believe you can even grow your own plant but with some restrictions. sorry my grammar is shit. candy flipping and touch phones dont mix.

"candy flipping and touch phones dont mix".......especially on a wednesday night! ;) fookin top show tripman %)

cheers for info....I just dont know about pot in a pill - have the fun is riipping the bong!

haha i just aslo realised it is tuesday not wednesday. fuck i am out if it. but happy to help mate. i know how hard gooble can be haha

i believe there is a four year trial in nsw currently and also in act and the nt i believe you can even grow your own plant but with some restrictions. sorry my grammar is shit. candy flipping and touch phones dont mix.

Have you got a source for that? I have never heard of anything like that happening here in Australia ever. Plus I am in the A.C.T and there is definitely no trial going on here.

Have you got a source for that? I have never heard of anything like that happening here in Australia ever. Plus I am in the A.C.T and there is definitely no trial going on here.

It's news to me as well.

I've never heard of any trials anywhere in Australia. A friend of my mother who had breast cancer a couple of years ago asked about medical marijuana and she was basically told the only way she would get it was if she grew it herself/ purchased it illegally.

NSW to trial medicinal marijuana

Posted Tue May 20, 2003 3:26pm AEST
Updated Wed May 21, 2003 12:34pm AEST

The New South Wales Government says it will introduce legislation to allow a four-year trial of the medical use of cannabis.

Premier Bob Carr says the case for the decriminalisation of cannabis is stronger than ever but only for people who cannot be assisted by conventional treatment.

People suffering from cancer, HIV, spinal injuries and other conditions will be eligible for registration with a new Office of Medical Cannabis.

Mr Carr says he is not pushing the legislation as a step towards the wider decriminalisation of marijuana use, which he says he opposes.

Compassion

Mr Carr says after a long period of deliberation the Government has decided the medicinal trial would be a compassionate scheme.

"It does help suppression of pain," he said. "More specifically, it helps the stabilisation of nausea; that enables people to eat meals and avoid wasting away.

"We've just got an obligation where we can make a difference to human suffering."

Mr Carr says the plan will help people like a man in his 80s suffering from prostate cancer.

"He had radiation therapy and he was losing weight. More tragically, he was losing the will to live," Mr Carr said.

"Eating marijuana biscuits helped bring back his appetite and strengthened his determination to fight the cancer."

The move has at least in-principle support from the major political parties in NSW Parliament.

Liberal leader John Brogden has given the proposal his in-principle backing, as has National Party leader Andrew Stoner, who says he would only support marijuana-derived medication, but not for example the medical use of joints and hash cookies.

"On that basis we'd support a trial," he said.

The Greens argue that the trial should be extended to include children who are dying from degenerative diseases.

Scandalous

The cannabis trial move has also been welcomed in principle by the Australian Medical Association and the New South Cancer Council.

But the director of the Quit Marijuana Program in Sydney, Jill Pierman, has described the decision as scandalous.

Ms Pierman says all parents should oppose authorising use of the drug.

"Every taxpayer in New South Wales should be absolutely enraged that this has been announced, that this is even being entertained and every parent should write to Bob Carr immediately and say that they do not wish this to happen if they care at all for their children," she said.

"This drug is the only drug out of all the drugs that is fat soluble.

"This creates an effect in the brain that sends people into a state of depression, into a state of anxiety, into a state of mental illness very quickly."

ABC News

NOTE: This article is from 2003.

Wow. I had never heard anything like that. I always thought Australia was dead against Cannabis.

Any more info on the alleged A.C.T. trial?

iirc the NSW trial was discussed here when it first surfaced. I wonder what the outcomes and recommendations were...

well this is a pretty shit source as its wikipedia!
but anyway...

"After politicians in the Australian Capital Territory voted to allow doctors to determine when cannabis was appropriate for their patients, intense lobbying by the federal government resulted in the legislation being overturned.

In May 2003 the then Premier of New South Wales (Australia's most populous state), Mr Bob Carr, promised patients a four-year trial into the medical uses of cannabis - but little to no action was taken.

Northern Territory use of Cannabis is decriminalized, and in Western Australia, ACT, and Northern Territory you can grow your own plant (For personal use ONLY) subject to height restrictions.

In January 2009 the Premier of New South Wales approved a four-year trial of medicinal cannabis to treat chronically ill or terminally ill patients. The trial is currently underwa"

Thanks for that, I'd never heard of the first sentence.

Not too sure about the height restrictions bit though.

hello there allupinyohair.
i can sympathise with your pain relief situation as i have severe chest & stomach pain (as yet undiagnosed despite m.r.i. and endescope scans etc) and like yourself can`t take NSAID`s as they aggravate my stomach real bad.
my doc started me off on fentanyl 25mcg/hr patch`s about 18mths ago, which were of some use but tolerance rapidly built up so now on 100mcg/hr patch`s at times using up to 8 of them to try to take the edge off the pain.
according to my doc and a consultant at the pain management clinic this is all that they can do!
i do find that smoking dope helps ease things and occasionally smoking some brown when its proper bad.
ask your doctor for some fentanyl patch`s.
i also find soluble co-codamol, 30mg codeine phosphate hemihydrate / 500mg paracetamol, of some use and they don`t bother my stomach too much.
good luck. franko.

Last edited: