Best Song of 09 Contest *Voting Thread*

Out of the choices, which song do you think was the best of 09?

• Fake Blood - Mars (Jack Beats Remix)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zinc - Bunt Edge

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hard decision. For me it's between:

Florence & the Machine - You've Got the Love (The xx Remix)
La Roux - In For The Kill (Skream Remix)
Joker - Digidesign

I think either this forum needs to be renamed into Dubstep/Electro Discussion, or this thread into Best Dubstep/Electro Song of 09

Deadmau5 = only Prog House artist on here, and that's kind of sad (not to mention there's no trance on here, which is the most popular EDM subgenre, if I'm not mistaken)

voting for him I guess

These are the songs that were nominated by the members of EMD, if you disagree then you should have voiced your opinion in the nominations thread

ftr, the fact that trance is the most popular EDM genre sadens me, but to each their own.

I considered voicing my opinion, but it would just be that, an opinion. I don't see many prog house/trance tracks in that thread either, and even if they were nominated, it's not like they would've won if nobody else was going to vote for them.

About your trance comment, let me quote Armin:

"For some reason, some people tend to be very negative about trance in particular. I think "trance" as a genre has been declared "dead" by these people and the press for the 6th time now. And yet, it remains to be the most popular genre in dance music. In fact, in my experience, trance has never been bigger as it is right now! Maybe this is because several people have very different definitions of the genre "trance". Some people consider "trance" to be similar to "commercial" or "cheese". For me trance is the only genre that isn't a prisoner of it's own style. People that like real trance, are very open minded to all kinds of dance music. For example, I play a lot of records that are labelled "progressive" or "techno" in my recordstore. Trance to me is a journey through different kinds of dance music, not the formularic crap some call "trance". Trance is part of modern day music now. Face it." - Armin Van Buuren

The only reason trance is so big is because all the little wanna-be-kiddie-ravers cling to it.
Trance is now generic and cheese, the fact that armin thinks his tracks are any different makes me laugh. Look at trance from the late 90's/early millennium - its actually good and nice to listen to. Now look at todays trance, its all the same sound, and all the same boring vibe. Trance is dead; cheese has taken over.

and ftr, these nominations are from posters making them each posters opinion. If you refuse to voice your opinion, you shouldnt be moaning.

(good lord thats the second time ive had to say that this weekend)

Not trying to sound like a dick here, just voicing my opinion ;)

Lets get back on topic here

"I do not see any big differences, it's all about perspective, people who say it was better in the early days are ignorant and are starting to talk like their parents." - Sander Kleinenberg

and what's your opinion abut the matter? Ive heard everyone but yours

if you'd like to start a big and dandy trance thread be my guest as i don't want this thread turning into a "lets talk trance" type thread.

hah, I don't want to start a thread, that's not the point of this. I just pointed out that this is a thread about the Best of Dubstep/Electro '09, not Best of EDM.
a proper thread for this would end with one song per genre, not one song out of 6 dubstep/5 electro/1 prog house or whatever the actual breakdown here is.
it's not a question of my opinion really, I don't care much whether or not the tracks I like the most win; it's a question of correct labeling.
not saying there's something I want done right now, just a suggestion for the future: make the nomination process longer, and separate entries into categories that posters will agree upon beforehand.

p.s. I copied quotes that I remembered that expressed exactly how I felt lol. writing down their content without attributing them to the people that said them wouldn't be quite fair, I think.

Deadmau5 = only Prog House artist on here

Dude, I nominated 2 progressive house tracks! If you had bothered to second either of them, then they would have made it into this final poll!!!

There are plenty of Bluelighters who are into progressive house and trance, but none of them bothered contributing to the nominations thread!!!

Dude, I nominated 2 progressive house tracks! If you had bothered to second either of them, then they would have made it into this final poll!!!

There are plenty of Bluelighters who are into progressive house and trance, but none of them bothered contributing to the nominations thread!!!

the truth is I saw the whole thing too late lol :/

was picking out songs when it closed

the point I also made, though, is that I don't think they would've won if they barely got nominated (hence the songs by genre suggestion)

hmm a few stand out but last jungle gets my vote. other tracks like digidesign and hyph mngo are great but don't give me the chills. the second last jungle comes on the bassline sends shivers down my spine.

I think we should have youtube links to each track in the poll, and we should then encourage as many Bluelighters as possible (including people who don't normally venture into this section of Bluelight) to listen to the songs, and pick their favourite.

And seeing as I've got a bit of time on my hands right now:

(Thizzer - feel free to copy and paste these links into your original post in this thread)

Damian Marley - It Was Written (Chasing Shadows remix)

Emalkay - When I Look At You

Basement Jaxx - Raindrops

La Roux - In For The Kill (Skream's Let's Get Ravey remix)

Boys Noize - Jeffer

Royksopp - Happy Up Here

Shpongle - I Am You

Joy Orbison - Hyph Mngo

Florence + The Machine - You've Got The Love

Fake Blood - Mars (Jack Beats remix)

Sub Focus - Last Jungle

Joker - Digidesign

Zinc - Blunt Edge

Far Too Loud - Bass Association

Deadmau5 - Moar Ghosts N Stuff

mdmahead, add &fmt=18 to each of those links
it forces the video to load in high quality (= 160 or 192 kbps audio bitrate)

mdmahead, add &fmt=18 to each of those links
it forces the video to load in high quality (= 160 or 192 kbps audio bitrate)

I deliberately sought out the highest quality youtube clip for each track in the poll. For clips that had a 'high quality' option, I used it (if you rollover my links, you'll notice that some of them have '&fmt=18' on the end.

However, for most youtube clips, adding '&fmt=18' (or pressing the 'HD' button) makes absolutely no difference!!!

oh shi- MDMAhead, you're awsome, i didnt even think of doing that!
thanks so much!

and chemsmile - to be officially nominated a song had to be nominated by a poster twice. Maybe thats why you're thinking there would be more