Best Song of 09 Contest *Voting Thread*

Out of the choices, which song do you think was the best of 09?

• Fake Blood - Mars (Jack Beats Remix)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zinc - Bunt Edge

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lol, maybe the reason there are no trance on here is because its WACK, and unfunky to boot. respect <3

Anyway, if you're into your leftfield soul/house/dub/beats/whatever, 2009 has been absolutely vintage.

late inclusion beats to the rescuee, dizzz1 - here we go again

I think we should have youtube links to each track in the poll

i just started typing a reply that was going to include links for all of the people who haven't heard every track - you have saved me a load of time. thank you! :)

as for the list leaning heavily in favor of electro house and dubstep, i find certain genres are really hot for a while in terms of killer production and then tend to get stale and/or fall off. electronic music is cyclical, and sometimes a certain sound explodes with creativity for a while before an obvious formula emerges. 2009 was an especially good year for punchy house and dubstep, so the 'best of' list is going to reflect that.

and yeah, nominations were open to everyone and every style so save your tears :p

Thizzerfershizzer said:
oh shi- MDMAhead, you're awsome, i didnt even think of doing that!
thanks so much!

@lterEgo said:
i just started typing a reply that was going to include links for all of the people who haven't heard every track - you have saved me a load of time. thank you!

No worries guys! My ego now feels nicely massaged :)

I haven't voted yet - I'll probably vote for 'Sub Focus - Last Jungle' (the only one of my nominations that made it through to the final poll), but I'll give all the tracks another listen before I make my final decision.

There's some killer dubstep tracks in this poll that I'd love to hear in a club, but that's unlikely to happen before voting closes, so I'll just have to use my imagination!!!

I voted for Emalkay - When I Look At You. I had a lot of fun rolling down the street with my windows down, bumping the fuck out of my system with this song. Constantly rewinding it so the beat drops when I'm at a red light. Good times. It's not my favorite track of '09, but it's my favorite track on this list.

I think either this forum needs to be renamed into Dubstep/Electro Discussion, or this thread into Best Dubstep/Electro Song of 09

Deadmau5 = only Prog House artist on here, and that's kind of sad (not to mention there's no trance on here, which is the most popular EDM subgenre, if I'm not mistaken)

voting for him I guess
Yeah, I agree bro. The reason there aren't any trance songs on the list is because the Electronic Music Discussion portion of this forum consists of oldschoolers downing everyone for their taste in music. Many of the older people here have a superiority complex and down the new generation of EDM listeners as ignorant. Instead of accepting that music tastes change, they call modern trance, progressive house, and electro house shit and are done with it.

Many of us trance fans didn't bother posting our picks because we knew we'd probably get a lethargic response from one of these assholes, claiming that modern trance is terrible (especially uplifting trance) and why the golden age of trance was better (either the early 90's, late 90's or the early 00's, depending on the age of the asshole). Anyway, the demographics of this forum are obviously not a good representation of the world at large.

If you don't like EMD, the exit is only a click away, feel free to leave at any time and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Or, instead of bitching and moaning you could respectfully PM me or AE to talk about your problems with the forum. We are always up for suggestions and will always take your suggestions into consideration.

You and klkl both state you have problems with the way the forum is and yet i see neither of you doing something about it other than complain.

IMO you guys have no right to complain if you wont take some action.

The choice is yours.

Last edited:
I voted for the Royksopp track; I've only heard about half of the nominated tracks, of which I've bought a few of the albums, and junior has easily had the most play time on my ipod out of those :)

Fake Blood - Mars (Jack Beats Remix)

and damnit caspas remix of where my money shoulda been on here... i Have a bad memory or I woulda mentioned it.

*I dont think where's my money came out this year.....and consider your wish graned. Ill move your vote* -thizzer

yeah, where's my money is from 2008.

i listened to all of the tracks before voting, and WOW some of these have terrible vocals :\

a few of these jams were pleasant surprises but others were totally ruined by shitty singing.

For me it was hard to choose between Last Jungle and I am you. They were both really good tracks. Ultimately, I had to go with the Shpongle track.

What time does the polling end new years?

mid day I believe -thizzer

Last edited by a moderator:
Emalkay - When I Look At You....

Subfocus - last jungle a close second

Voted for Basement Jaxx, but after listening to that deadmou5 track i would change my vote.

Oh and btw, im not a huge trance fan but alot of my friends like it and I enjoy it sometimes. This forum isn't suppressing trance music, the fact is that most people here like other stuff. If you think trance should have a larger presence in this forum post about it more, dont complain about it.

vote changed -thizzer

Last edited by a moderator:
Arggggggggggg. The more I listen to the options, the more I just end up tying myself up in knots!!! Such a tough decision!!! I really like all the dubstep tracks in the poll (which is amazing given that a year ago I swore that the only dubstep artist I liked was Burial).

I've narrowed it down to either 'In For The Kill', 'Hyph Mngo', 'Last Jungle', or 'Digidesign'. Gonna need a couple more days listening to make my final decision I reckon :)

Voted for the Damian Marley remix, some dutty bass there, I am one of those people who doesn't "get" Shpongle at all unfortunately.
Reward for most horribly overplayed and rinsed out track has to go for the Skream version of In for the Kill, fuck me I was tired of it by April :D. Was kind of a good "intro to dubstep" track though and got a lot of people I know into giving a bit more 'step a blast so it's not all bad.

Voted for the Damian Marley remix, some dutty bass there, I am one of those people who doesn't "get" Shpongle at all unfortunately.
Reward for most horribly overplayed and rinsed out track has to go for the Skream version of In for the Kill, fuck me I was tired of it by April :D. Was kind of a good "intro to dubstep" track though and got a lot of people I know into giving a bit more 'step a blast so it's not all bad.

I don't really 'get' Shpongle either. I mean I haven't heard that many of their tracks, but, of what I've heard, there's only 1 track I really like, and 'I Am You' isn't it. If I wanna listen to some chilled-out psychadelic music, I'll listen to Primal Scream/The Orb/Aphex Twin :)

I didn't go to any festivals this year, and so I've never heard 'In For The Kill' played out, but it was quite clearly designed to be an anthem, and a good anthem it is too :) The same goes for 'Last Jungle' - a real emotional end-of-night track.

As far as originality goes, imo the best track in this poll is 'Digidesign' - it's not a tear-jerker, but it's got a really sick hip-hop/dubstep rhythm, bass so rude it should be illegal, and a cool melody, albeit not a spine-tinglingly beautiful one. And unlike 'In For The Kill', it's got a real underground feel to it.

'Hyph Mngo' is a track I'd love to hear out in a club over a good soundsystem. I reckon it could be absolutely mindblowing if it was dropped at the right moment in a house/techno set. I could well imagine deciding right there and then that it was my track of the year, and simply having to go and ask the DJ what it is :)

Decisions decisions..................