• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 18.12.09 - Dangerous solvents sold as party drugs

I still dont see whats the big hype about it here with GHB/GBL. Nothing special, feels exactly like being drunk but being way more dizzier. The taste is gross too, but i guess people who cant get it legally want it even more if its illegal.

I read the story closely, you missed my point. People, in my experience, don't call it "liquid ecstasy". Also the story seems to suggest that "liquid ecstasy" (GHB) is a stimulant, which it is not. Just like GBL, it is a depressant.

The ABC story isn't too inaccurate, at least it point out the fact that GBL gets metabolized into GHB - it's just the second article which has gross factual errors.

I have heard of it being called liquid ecstasy before particularly when I was younger.

It really is more of a depresent so I can see how you find it difficult that people call it liquid ecstasy.

Its Cheap, Nasty and very easy to make. But if you do it, like most things if you know how to pace it you wont have much trouble from it straight up, long term..... I dont know.

Funny how one time a few people i met at a club asked me if i have tried liquid ecstasy. I replied u mean GHB? Them: GHwhat? Had to explain there isnt such a thing called liquid ecstasy if we were referring to MDMA.

I still dont see whats the big hype about it here with GHB/GBL. Nothing special, feels exactly like being drunk

That's why I use it every now and then. In some situations beer is incrediably expensive and people need to line up. In times like that GBL has been my substitue, its cheaper and I don't have to line up. I also thought it was non-toxic (GHB at least) untill this thread.

almost as bad as "got any fantasy? 8o "

It was called fantasy or usually just "fanta" about 10 years ago

I have heard the term liquid ecstasy used but no where near as often

Over the past 5 years everyone seems to just call it "G"

Another slow news day

Love how they call it GHB and GBH in the same article :\

Oh, Mein Gott!!!!
A solvent! No one drinks solvents for a good time!!!

Phasedancer:- 10 mg/kg can cause neurotoxicity? Doesn't the GHB and GBL in mammals bodies coss the BBB? How come endogenous GHB causes damage? I thought it just caused memory recptors to become stupid, like with marijuana until abuse stops and causes lots of dehydration?

Firstly, while specific GHB and GABAb receptors are located at several regions of the brain and spinal cord, the amounts of endogenous GHB produced in the body are normally very small. GHB biosynthesis appears to be at least in part regulated by the enzyme Succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase. The rare disease involving a deficiency in this enzyme results in GABA not being oxidized to succinic acid, but reduced to GHB, resulting in an accumulation of GHB.

Glutamate is a major excitatory neurotransmitter. Excitotoxicity is a process which results in the death or damage to neurons and is thought to be involved in several neurological diseases and in age related dementia.

The systems that govern apoptosis (programmed cell death) and exitotoxicity are numerous and complex and it would be thought the amount of GHB produced normally in the brain would be unlikely to cause neurotoxicity via glutamate release. The administered levels of 10mg/kg -from the quoted paper -are sufficient to cause damage. Why larger levels are not reported to produce an proportional increase I don't know. Perhaps the neuroprotective properties of GHB - increased ability to bind to glutamate activated GHB neurons? - come into play at higher levels. It will be interesting to see what follows this paper and whether these results are reproduced by other researchers.

While GBL is more lipophilic than GHB, and is absorbed faster following oral administration, most GBL is converted to GHB in the blood by lactases (which open the furan ring). Research published in 2006 suggests the more rapid onset of GBL is not explain by brain-blood-barrier permeability.

^umm.. are you thinking straight about that comment?

you can buy practically pure ethanol in most bottleshops here..

Spiritus anyone?

Yea i know u can buy it. It will mess u up bad drinkin it straight hahaha best to make a beverage with it. When i was younger we went to my mates place n found a whole bottle n took that with us to go clubbin, gave sum to one of ur friend and he passed out, looked pretty bad from it. The things u do when ur young n dumb.

Thought lab ethanol was 99.9%? the ones in the shops are 70% i think. Still bloody strong shit lol

Spirytus is 95% and comes with directions on the back for preparing it as floor cleaner

95% alcohol is the most concentrated you can get from regular distillation. This is because alcohol forms an azeotrope with water ( simply put; a combined boiling point). Regular distilling of alcohol of this purity does not result in a higher concentration. I'd suggest anyone who's interested in alcohol in the slightest to read the wiki link and understand vapour phase diagrams. It's easy (year 12-1st year uni chem), so you'll all be tested on it in the future ;)

97%, 99% and even 99.9% ethanol can be obtained via various methods. One older method is to add something like benzene which forms a lower boiling point azeotrope with water. This is then boiled off. Naturally, as benzene is carcinogenic, and traces will likely remain, you couldn't drink the stuff, but you wouldn't want to anyway as ethanol >95% would be very nasty indeed.

I would advise against drinking anything that concentrated (95% +). It will suck water from your body and cause nasty burns to your mouth, throat, esophagus etc. Also, the spiritus mentioned will be denatured, as it's illegal to sell it any other way - unless the duty is paid or you have an exemption. An exemption is easily obtained if your intentions are right. Denatured means it will contain denatonium benzoate. Not very long ago, a well know Bler wrote and told me about an experiment he did to see what residue remained after he evaporated off the ethanol from metho. He remarked how awful the remaining residue tasted. I had to laugh and replied by telling him he just ate denatonium benzoate, the most bitter substance known to man :p =D

The Spirytus I get from Dan Murphy's has all the duty paid. It costs the same as two cheap bottles of bourbon but is only 500mls. It works great for extractions.

Last edited:
Probably should remove your price Verybuffed. Sounds about right though, I'll have to check it out when I'm next at DM's. BTW, if you obtained a duty exemption, that 500mL would cost about 1/10th would you're now paying.

Spirytus is commonly used to top up the alcohol content of fortified wines and ports for people who choose to re oak them at home- DJC's room mate used to offer people the spirytus challenge to see who could drink a shot without gasping afterward- no one won that by the way i would strongly advise against shotting that nasty drink