• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol Risks? Are there really any major ones?

Tramadol DOES have euphoric effects, I take 4-500 mg a day and I love it. so unless your just a str8 junkie with a SUPER tolerance, then it WILL effect you, and if not, then maybe you should be at a methadone clinic or something

Holy fuck 500g a day? I take 200g and I feel good. Hmm I kinda wanna try 500 now D:

^ bad idea. Overshooting your tolerance makes you sick as hell. I would almost bet you $ that you would puke.

400mg per day (in divided doses ideally for safety's sake) is considered to be the upper safe(ish) limit. Higher doses are obviously possible but tolerance is required. Jumping straight from 200mg to 500mg would be a bit silly. Many find the increased side-effects make high-dose tram undesirable. Tolerance doesn't prevent the possibilty of seizures or other problems either. When my tolerance gets to when I barely feel 200mg I quit and let it drop back again - no need to potentially ruin a great drug by going over the top :)

I used Tramadol to get off Vicoden a long time ago. Last year I took it and built my tolerance and enjoyed the euphoria for a long time, then just decided I should quit. It was damn easy to quit let me tell you. Tapering Tramadol is absolutely a linear process: Set aside your doses, place a time of the day on them, two days later, reduce the doses etc. until your down to like half a pill twice a day then you basically stop - and the whole process causes NO withdrawals - at least not for me.

I was surprised when I became addicted because my only knowledge of the drug was when it was prescribed to help me stop Vicoden almost 20 years ago and the doctor said it was prescribed as a NON-ADDICTIVE pain killer so imaging my surprise when I found myself addicted one day! I jumped online and put in "Tramadol Addiction" and BAM - sure as shit people addicted to it left and right!

But to keep in line with the safety here, I will say that I wasn't drinking nor was I taking any other drugs at the time, so I experienced no tremors at all nor anything other than some very nice rides - and some very interesting Halo moments on the XBOX :)

Buck

I get pretty nasty w/d even from around 200-300mg a day for only a shortish while. Not quite coming off a ten year methadone addiction cold turkey-type w/d obviously but the SNRI element is vicious. For me and for many others too.

I'd rate SSRI/SNRI withdrawal as worse than medium level heroin withdrawal. Just lasts forever feeling so depressed and empty and in pain and blank and miserable generally in a pretty low state emotinally. Physically it's no great shakes (brain zaps can be a bitch though :|) at those kinda levels but I've always found the mental and emotional side of w/d is the real killer. i've also had depression since childhood and anti-depressants do horrible things to me at the best of times though which probably doesn't help.

I'd rate SSRI/SNRI withdrawal as worse than medium level heroin withdrawal. Just lasts forever feeling so depressed and empty and in pain and blank and miserable generally in a pretty low state emotionally.

YES, I remember that now. And I think that's why I decided to be done with it entirely! I hated the depression most of all.

Buck

The thing I hate about it and the reason I wont take it even if prescribed is it totally fucks up my breathing. It's like I am not breathing involuntarily anymore. I have to think about it and force myself to breathe. That was after one pill and I never took it again. I hate the way it makes me feel. Ugh. Some people have better luck with it and can enjoy it. Good luck.

Ok so what's the best way not to build a high tolerance to the drug and if you do how do you get rid of the tolerance?

How to avoid building tolerance: Don't take it everyday, don't up the dose too high.
How to reduce tolerance: Take a decent break if it gets higher than you would wish for.

I find a coupla weeks - maybe up to a month sometimes - is enough to be able to feel it again as long as you haven't pushed the dose up too far until that point. Once my happy dose gets close to the 400mg limit I stop using it for a while - generally by tapering the dose and putting up with feeling a bit crappy for a while. I also use codeine to ease any w/d symptoms and smooth over the transition.

Originally Posted by boodha
combined with opiates, increased risk of seizure,
combined with alcohol, increased risk of seizure.
say what? how? especially about the alcohol.
well, I not going to put sources here, so take it or leave it.

But, ok, from my understanding initially alcohol would raise the seizure threshold, perhaps decreasing the risk of seizure, but this could be mitigated by the amount of alcohol drunk and also the drinker, someone for instance who is an alcoholic could possible have a decreased seizure threshold due to the effects of excessive alcohol usage.
large amounts of alcohol on there own, can cause seizures so it would be logical to assume that there is a possible risk of seizure with the mixing of Alcohol and Tramadol, In certain specific situations.

like most things it is not black and white, ie drink booze and take tramadol = increased risk of seizure.

'possible' but is not a given,

same with opiates, in certain situations mixing other opiates with tramadol could potentially increase the risk of seizure depending on the opiates used and how they are used.

again, it is 'possible' imho anyway.

but it is just more reasons I stay well clear of Tramadol(and it practically grows on trees here lol)
i'm gonna have to leave it. and my understanding is that seizures and alcohol have to do with withdrawal, not the immediate effects of the drug.

the Veteran's Administration Medical center has been sending me tramadol 50 mg to be taken 2 at a time,3 times a day. so that's 300mg. i was offered that or percocet which i didn't want in my life.
three years of taking this stuff and only one rodeo. the ignorant, incompetent VA psych doc. prescribed cymbalta or celexa ( i forget but it was a "c" antidepressant. this shit head did so with my records up on his monitor so he could not have missed tramadol for my crushed joint.

seratonin syndrome was the outcome. i had no idea of why when i went for a piss i fell through the shower curtain and busted my fuckin puss on the back tub wall. i had no idea after i picked myself up and was unable to walk in me fucking house without holding the walls.

i did a bad thing--i called poison control center--those hard headed operators do not diagnose but insisted that if i hung up i would be 911'd to an ER.

my main man lives down the lane and i told them he'd take me to ER (fucking ambulance must cost a fortune). during the drive he (a town first responder) told me to keep on talking and after a bit said" you are delirious"

well i spent the night and by the passing of 5 or 6 hours, i was in my right mind. still didn't know what the fuck had happened to me though. a smart, competent, femme MD made the rounds and looked at my chart and said "i believe that you have/had serotonin syndrome.

if, ever the same staggering, talking in tongues shit would occur i would head to the easy chair and let the hours go by until the shit washed out.

post note-that was the first trip to an ER in 40 years and the fucking VA sucks ten miles of skinned back donkey dick!

my take on the P-docs methodology is that it is a fucking dart board. let's try zoloft, oh shit that made him worse-lets try lamotrigine-oh double fuck- change that to (you name the pharmaceutical).

i don't know how it would be if i were in a city where there was talented Pdocs but it would have to be better than our country bunkin incompetents.

i have no problem either forgetting to take tramadol nor taking the max dose but no other serotonergic drug is going down the pie hole on top of that shit.

save

Last edited by a moderator: