• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol Risks? Are there really any major ones?

I have 2 friends who are former addicts who have both had seizures from overdosing their tramadol. be very careful.

I have been taking 400-500 mg a day for a long time now, at first it was only like 200 mg a day then it gradually grew to more, I'll do it in small doses, 50 mg, then an hour later 150 mg, and keep building till I hit 4-500, I know I'm not supposed to go over 400 but here lately I have been going a little bit over, up to 5 or 550 at the highest this is all over the whole day though not at once, what risk am I at of having a seizure? if I've never had one before?

Serotonin Syndrome hasn't had a mention yet from skimming this thread but it's getting a mention now. Don't mix it with any serotenergic drugs - that means pretty much any stims or psyches. I got a nasty case of SS taking LSD after taking just 100mg of tramadol. The list of dangerous tramadol interactions is ridiculous - literally hundreds classified as being serious and potentially fatal. SS is not to be fucked with so look them up and avoid them before using it in combination with anything else even if you don't combine them recreationally.

^ One of my lil hobbyhorses is the SS/tram thang - mainly cos I had no idea about it and would probably have disbelieved it if I did. Until it happened to me - and on such a relatively low dose too. Was only taking tram as prescribed and still got bitten hard. I avoid tram for a minimum of 24 hours if I dose any stims or psyches now and even after 24 hours I've had dodgy moments. SS is some seriously nasty shit so if anyone reads my lil warnings and pays heed I'll be happy. Was a whole lotta no fun :|

That's probably why...I've heard it being used as an anti depressant even though it's mainly a pain killer. My doctor prescribed Zoloft for my pain ... Zoloft is an anti depressant but can also kill some pain..

I guess there's a similarity between Anti Depressants & Pain killers

its a pain killer? wouldnt it have gave me that euphoria then?

Tramadol is an opioid and also an SNRI so has antidepressant properties too. Sertraline (Zoloft) is a straight SSRI. SSRI's are generally not considered to be recreational. Also, just cos something's a painkiller doesn't mean it will be euphoric - would you expect aspirin to be euphoric?

Tramadol can and do cause seizures and death. Don't think that's especially controversial. Pretty well known risks of tramadol use really.

Hehe. Failure to spot sarcasm is a common problem with interwebz. Looks like I failed there :D

Not sure about a waste of a thread though - if the OP doesn't know the risks it better to ask even if they do seem pretty obvious. Especially when those risks really are quite risky. There's no such thing as a stupid question and all that :)

Tramadol is an opioid and also an SNRI so has antidepressant properties too. Sertraline (Zoloft) is a straight SSRI. SSRI's are generally not considered to be recreational. Also, just cos something's a painkiller doesn't mean it will be euphoric - would you expect aspirin to be euphoric?

well i figured since its an opiod, and a prescription, it would have some euphoric effects. i guess i was wrong! thanks, cause i was gonna try it again, but idk..

I got just 120 tabs last night . YAY

will do some mixing with valium and see what i get :S

Tramadol DOES have euphoric effects, I take 4-500 mg a day and I love it. so unless your just a str8 junkie with a SUPER tolerance, then it WILL effect you, and if not, then maybe you should be at a methadone clinic or something

Really, Tramadol can cause stuff like seizures but it isn't as serious as people make it seem. Yeah it happens to some people but you don't know how many out of a stuff on the med had that problem. If one person has it happen they have to document it. I have taken 1,000 mg and no seizures. Now at that point you can plan on being to fucked up to move and puking your brains out. But I've done that when I ever over did a small dose. Like starting out with 200mg instead of 100mg like I should have. So I wouldn't get too super stuck on it. But all of this is just my personal opinion.

Tramadol DOES have euphoric effects, I take 4-500 mg a day and I love it. so unless your just a str8 junkie with a SUPER tolerance, then it WILL effect you, and if not, then maybe you should be at a methadone clinic or something

+1 I swear by it.
When I was first taking it, 300mg gave a good high (most people without an opiate tolerance can feel the effects at 100mg+ so I'm told) but the only mildly worrying thing is that 3 or 4 months later, I need more than twice my original dose to get the same euphoria.
I guess that's daily use for you.

tramadol is stupidly easy for me to get, which is a real shame, because I will not touch the stuff.

the seizure risk is the big thing for me, i have taken 100mg and found my self suddenly jerking an arm or something, really worried me, when it happened i downed 10mg of Diazepam and that stopped it, but I will never touch it again.

I read online where someone had a seizure from 50mg daily dosage.

combined with opiates, increased risk of seizure,
combined with alcohol, increased risk of seizure.

to me, it is a nasty substance.
imho

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

this post ruined my week. now tell me you're lying!

I feel the shaking all the time but I don't mind at all. To me it's just a reminder that I'm in a happier place.

If one person has it happen they have to document it.

Documentation of my Serotonin Syndrome incident.

SS and seizures may seem like things that only happen to other people. Until that other person is you. Please be careful at those kinds of doses cos you could so easily become one too at that level.

me in the above thread said:
... Every muscle in my body was in spasm and pure agony for many hours. My cramps had cramps. And those cramps had cramps. I remember jerking about kinda spasming and there was a lot of writhing and probably bellowing and wailing and screaming I suspect. And a hell of a lot of running around pissing all over the place and myself...

Every bit as fun as that sounds and then some :|

PS: For the record, I love tram and find it extremely euphoric. Enjoying a drug and blindly assuming it's risk-free are different things though. Much though I love it, it's certainly a pretty seriously risky drug to use recreationally - or even therapeutically in combination with stims or psyches.