• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Smoking Crack Cocaine - Best Pipe filters and Lighters?

EveryStar

Bluelighter
I've been using steel wool this whole time, because I have a shit ton of it in my garage and every convenience store I've hit up apparently don't have any brillo. Does the filter make a difference? I just wad up a nice thick ball of steel wool (I think it's the fine type of wool), stuff it in the stem, put a flame to it and inhale just for a second so it gets burning red hot, allow it to cool, then drop a rock on top and away we go.

However, everyone seems to be using brillo, so I was wondering if it makes any difference in the hits I'm getting? I know Chore Boy brand brillo has soap in it, so wouldn't that be even worse? I've been wondering this for a while, so any responses are appreciated.

Good question...Someone, please do tell!
Me, I have no clue... but steel wool sounds...scary? Doesn't it kinda melt and/or start to turn solid eventually? What happens if you put the rock on and then light it?
Brillo works well enough (obviously, since it's the standard), but I always wondered if that would cause some gnarly long-term problems...always smoking the metal material that clearly changes texture and maybe loses mass/melts/burns over time... Is this going to give long-term crack users lung cancer or Parkinson's or something?
Edit: Maybe the soap in Chore (never heard that) gets burnt off with whatever other orange stuff gets toasted when people burn the material before wadding it up and sticking it in the stem?

I've also tried those green, rectangular scouring pads, but they have soap in them too and produce an awful lot of nasty fucking tasting smoke. Like I used it once, and I could still taste it hours later when I replaced it with steel wool. It wasn't very effective either, so I'm sticking to steel wool for now.

Also, off-topic, but how much does a Pyrex glass stem cost? I'm sick of buying like 2-3 glass roses/pens a week cause they break in a minute, but on the other hand, they're convenient since they're only a buck a piece (which piles up over time...but we all know that money spent buying a "fancy" Pyrex stem could be used for other things...like crack! Haha. I sure do crack myself up sometimes.

I've also tried those green, rectangular scouring pads, but they have soap in them too

Also, off-topic, but how much does a Pyrex glass stem cost? I'm sick of buying like 2-3 glass roses/pens a week

Geez, green scouring pads! Sounds horrible! Have you ever tried the copper Chore Boy? I don't think they have soap actually... or not much... once you get the screen made (basically singeing the surface), they don't smoke at all really.

Don't know about cost of Pyrex stems...$10, I think. Really, though, it's worth buying a new rose (or even two) every time--it pays off more than their $1-$3 cost to have a new, unbroken, long one every time. But it is a bit awkward buying 6 or 8 of them at a time.

A slightly wider diameter (maybe 33% or 50% wider?), thicker glass one makes a BIG difference compared to the glass rose, as I recall. Been a while, but still interesting.

Dude, don't waste your money on crack. That shit is worse than coke.. I've always hated the comedown and to this day its the one drug I will not touch.

CHORE BOY is best ,unless you want to use ashes and a can or metal bowl

you can findaa stew used for bongs that are thicker than the rose pipes

Yeah, I'm using this kind of steel wool, this exact brand (Rhodes American):

http://www.briwaxwoodcare.com/stelwool.htm

I have one of those big 16 pad bags in my garage so it's real convenient. I think the one I'm using is extra or super fine, not sure, but isn't it worse for smoking crack (or less efficient at least) the more fine it is? How fine is regular brillo? I've been to a bunch of gas stations, Kroger, etc, and I just can't find any brillo, especially not Chore Boy brand. Where should I look?

Dude, don't waste your money on crack. That shit is worse than coke.. I've always hated the comedown and to this day its the one drug I will not touch.

Eh, I don't spend too much money on it, maybe about 100 a week, which is better than my 200+ dollar a week heroin habit I used to have. Plus I'm scripted clonazepam and temazepam daily, I also have a constant supply of Suboxone and pot, so the comedowns are no big deal. Back when I used to shoot coke daily and all I had was pot, the comedowns were a nightmarish hell, fiending for hours, no money, no sleep, just wanting one more hit... This is a cakewalk to me compared to my IV coke days.

Eh, I don't spend too much money on it, maybe about 100 a week
... This is a cakewalk to me compared to my IV coke days.
I love it how it seems like $100/week is a small habit! Haha, not disagreeing with, just thinking to myself that I usually consider that a pretty good level. Actually, for crack, that's pretty incredible! Easy to run through multiple hundreds in a couple hours...
Yeah, definitely way better than IV coke -- super dangerous, way easy to OD, plus easier to get too big a hit and suddenly whack out and do some crazy shit like flush your stash and have to buy more and then do the same thing three times in one night until you just wait the imaginary cops out in the bathroom for 6 or 7 hours or go running down the street or start throwing punches at imaginary attackers -- plus it boosts your tolerance eventually where you can't inhale enough crack to get off (though, I happen to know, if you take a break and smoke some crack you can still make something pop in your brain and nearly die, then wake up in the ICU and not know your name).
Don't know how long you've done crack, but IME for a lot of people it ends a lot worse than heroin addiction, not in terms of withdrawal, just in terms of cost and eventual insanity/destruction if you're unlucky...mainly if you buy small doses and if you buy "outdoors" (i.e. street-corner or somewhere else unsafe) and go on long runs..
Chore Boy is hard to find sometimes, since I think people know it's for crack pipes... but it's coarse, not fine, IMO definitely better than steel wool (I seem to remember trying similar wool and it melted which scared me a lot)... Don't they have it at the same place as the stems? IME you can find them/their generic version at pretty much all dollar stores... or lots of corner stores if you live near an inner-city area.

Damn, so have I been wasting my money completely using steel wool this whole time? I saw those copper pads at Kroger the other day but didn't buy them, because it didn't say brillo or Chore Boy on it, it was just a ball of thick copper...

Damn, so have I been wasting my money completely using steel wool this whole time? I saw those copper pads at Kroger the other day but didn't buy them, because it didn't say brillo or Chore Boy on it, it was just a ball of thick copper...
Yeah, IMO it's wasting your money not to get these. They pay off the $1 (generic) - $3 (Chore Boy) easily in better delivery of crack. In general, I've always felt crack is expensive enough that it's worth buying an extra glass stem, fresh chore, and a spare lighter every time.

Yeah, I walked to the food mart a couple hundred feet away from my house this morning, pocketed one of the Chore Boy "balls" or whatever (I thought Chore Boy was like Brillo, just a rectangular pad of steel wool), cut a small piece off with scissors, stuffed it in the pipe (that was kind of a pain, it's not as easy as just tearing off a little ball of steel wool from a big pad), and boy, does it make a difference. It's a lot easier to get resin hits, and it doesn't end up crumbling into ashes like steel wool eventually does. I'm glad I made the switch, that's for sure. It's just a pain to tear off a piece, because I need to use scissors, and little "strings" of copper fall everywhere as I'm trying to get enough to roll up into a little ball.

pocketed one of the Chore Boy "balls" or whatever ...
cut a small piece off with scissors, stuffed it in the pipe
Awesome, man (I assume?), glad you like it. I hope by "pocketed" you mean stole -- crack is better the more "deviance" you throw in. Best potentiator ever! (If it was for cleaning pots and pans, I'd say pay for it, but that's just my opinion. ;) )

One tip: You didn't mention this: You should singe/burn the chore boy before wadding it up. After cutting it, hold it out in your fingertips, and burn it with the flame of your lighter. Just enough for it to stop smoking and lose its orange -- five or six seconds, I would guess. Otherwise you're smoking that stuff for at least several hits. That's the tried and true street style...

Yup, your assumption is correct. I first went to Walgreens and took one of their generic Chore Boy imitation copper pads (last one left, too...wonder where all the other ones went, huh?), then went to the mom & pop-style mart across the street hoping they'd have stems...they didn't, but they had plenty of Chore Boy brand copper pads, so I took one of those as well just to be sure I had the right stuff.

However, when I burn the copper coloring off, I usually do it straight from the pipe, I stuff a wad in there, and take a "blank hit" for a few seconds, without inhaling of course, then stuff my rock on top. The bottom of the wad will usually stay orange at first, but it doesn't make much of a difference. Also, should I be pre-melting the rock before smoking it? I usually do it because that's the way I first learned, but it always seems like I'm wasting product when I hear that sizzling and see a little smoke come out of the end of the stem, so I'll immediately put my lips to it and start inhaling gently, then put a direct flame on it while twirling the stem back and forth. I don't think I'm doing it completely right though, when I apply a direct flame to the rock; is there a more efficient way to do it?

Oh yeah, and I'm getting way bigger push hits with Chore compared to steel wool, it's fantastic hehe.

Also, should I be pre-melting the rock before smoking it? ...is there a more efficient way to do it?
Yeah, premelting is good. But it can be done more efficiently:
-heat the pipe from the outside, so the flame doesn't directly touch the rock.
-what I do is take a very weak "dry hit," where I'm puffing it like a cigar, not inhaling like a cigarette, or I exhale through my nose when it gets ready to produce smoke.
Basically, especially if you have trouble getting ringers (your other post), you want every bit of air to contain thick crack smoke, so you don't want to inhale a bunch of air waiting for melt.
That's another point: the density of the cocaine vapors are almost as important as the size of the hit. So don't suck in weaker smoke at the end to get "a little more"; you'll end up getting a bunch less. In my opinion.

Since it sounds like you're in control of your crack use, I'll be a little presumptuous: Be careful! Crack/shooting coke can take you by surprise all of a sudden, even after years of safe use. And crack problems tend to be a lot more stigmatizing than, say, alcohol or pot problems.

Well, just got done with the 20 sack I bought 3-4 hours ago, I've been scraping my pipe for like 15 minutes trying to get one more hit out of it. Any tips for getting good "push hits"? I also took 30 mg temazepam and 2 mg clonazepam about 1h30 ago, and did a decent shot of dope 30 minutes ago or so, yet I kind of want to get some more rock, just because the synergy between the wonderful opiate high and the awesome crack euphoria feels absolutely fantastic. I'm down to 25 bucks, probably won't be making for another day or so, but I'm really tempted to call my dude up and have him deliver a 15...hmmm. If I do that, though, it's just going to lead to a worse path in the end... I'm conflicted.

Using a Zippo to smoke crack?

I've been getting sick of going through 6-7 lighters in a matter of days (Bic lighters, too, not the cheapo crack lighters), and then I remembered I had a Zippo and some fuel for it. The problem is, it seems to vaporize the rock much faster than a regular lighter (hotter flame?), but on the other hand, you can have it lit for long periods of time, and get a big flame with no problem.

I've been pre-melting the crack onto the Chore Boy, but as soon as I hold the flame of the Zippo to the tube (not applying a direct flame to the rock), it almost instantly vaporizes, and it's harder to get a good hit afterwards. Any tips?

hey man, im just gonna merge this into the thread you made the other day about the best filters for a crack pipe. ill edit the title to fit accordingly as well