• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Alternative to tramadol

^^ Dude the only thing thats gonna be like tramadol is Tramadol. 2nd, tramadol is easy to get prescribed so just keep getting it like you already are.. whats the problem??

The bad withdrawals. Also I don't have steady income, so I need drugs that I can buy/get locally, not by internet. It takes 10 - 30 days to get them to my shithole country (I'm ordering them from Thailand), so I think you can guess what happens when I suddenly realise I have few pills left and 10 days untill the shipment arrives. And drugs cost less here where I live than on internet.

I'm not looking for tramadol, but for a drug that affects the reuptake at the noradrenergic and serotonergic systems.

perhaps i do not fit the mold of a bluelighter to a tee. but i am am in my early 60's with much busted up component limbs, guts removed to beat the band and long ago a history of heroin addiction from a stint in south east asia that i brought back to the US.
The Veterans Administration Medical Center has had been sending bottles of tramadol 50 to be taken not in excess of 300 mg per day for years.
what the fuck are you people talking about? One that was not living in wonderland could scarf the 30 in the bottle and perhaps break out in a sweat or a gut ache. how does some one abuse something as benign as this serotonergic crap?
there is absolutely no discomfort for this old geezer if i go off away from home for a few days and forget to bring the little things. i suggest aspirin 325 if you are getting off on tramadol!

i suggest aspirin 325 if you are getting off on tramadol!

I lol'ed so hard.

What's your daily dose of tramadol? Sir, you must be really different from other humans, if your claims about trams and the lack of addiction and withdrawals are true.

Come on, friends, please read my posts before posting an answer. I'm not looking for a painkiller, an opiate/opioid or any other drug that gets you high (well maybe a little high is good, like mood elevation).

300 mg is max. i have to be working so hard in the rigging and for so long to take that much - in the past 3 years i might have used the prescribed dose of 2 x 50 mg x 3x a day.
if claims of tramadol abuse and intoxication are not psychosomatic, then perhaps an explanation for lack of these things in me is taking it because of smashed up body parts hurting badly.

the single seriously bad reaction i had to tramadol was when the quack VA doc prescribed an antidepressant (cymbalta or celexa-don't recall). it was a rodeo that landed me in the ER because i couldn't walk without falling, nor talk other than delirious shit. a smart, competent civilian ER doc looked at the meds that my pal took from my house when he generously drove me in the early AM hours. she said "it looks as though you have serotonin syndrome".

time passed and the serotonin washed out of my carcass and i was as good as new.

I can really relate to the OP here because I've experienced similar therapeutic effects from tramadol and ran into the same problems of unreliable supply and the resulting withdrawals. For the last year or so I've been trying to find a good tramadol substitute, something with the same antidepressant and anxiolytic effects, but without the supply problems.

I've tried several antidepressants - citalopram, mirtazapine, sertraline and bupropion - but they were all far less effective than tramadol. A combination of 150mg venlafaxine and 15mg methadone is the closest I've got. I think buprenorphine and venlafaxine might be an even better combination, because buprenorphine is much less sedating than methadone and can even have a stimulant type effect. Venlafaxine is a very close chemical cousin of tramadol, and has similar effects on serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake, although venlafaxine seems to be a stronger serotonin reuptake inhibitor than tramadol.

SSRI and SNRI drugs like venlafaxine are easy to obtain in most countries - they're usually prescribed for the treatment of depression by family doctors or psychiatrists. Most patients seem to try several different antidepressants before they hit on one which is both effective and has tolerable side effects. In some countries doctors can prescibe a drug like tramadol "off-lablel" for the treatment of depression, if they think it's in their patients best interests, probably only after the patient's depression has failed to respond to the conventional treatments. If it's not too hard for the OP to find a doctor willing to prescribe tramdol "off-label" then this might be the best solution.

tramadol is very similar to effexoe (venlafaxine). From what I read tramadol basically has the opiate part and then the effexor part.

Maybe you can try that.

Tramaol has no sedating effects on me and I also take it regularly.

My favorite (well one of them) is tramadol, sub and clonzaepam. They don't sedate me. Quate the opposite, give me tons of energy. My psych says its probably due to the anxiety being canceled out.

The stimulating effects of Tramadol are because it is a serotonin releaser not a reuptaker. Thus, it is not like Effexor. The effects of RE of NE and 5HTP release become a different beast than the reuptake of both amines (i.e current AD's).

You will not find anything resembling Tramadol's stimulation outside of the illegal drugs like cocaine (although I am NOT saying Tramadol is pleasurable like cocaine, it doesn't even come close). Tramadol is a unique creature and I believe it has some excellent AD properties which I think are being currently researched for. Unfortunately, the withdrawal is absolute hell, even from low doses. Lastly, releasing agents are normally neurotoxic (classic example is high dose amphetamine) thus I am not sure to what extent long-term Tramadol administration could yield with regards to benefits to brain health.

I personally dislike the mu agonism, what I really like are the first two hours on Tramadol, before it gets converted to the o-desmethyl version.

tramadol is very similar to effexoe (venlafaxine). From what I read tramadol basically has the opiate part and then the effexor part.

Maybe you can try that.

Tramaol has no sedating effects on me and I also take it regularly.

My favorite (well one of them) is tramadol, sub and clonzaepam. They don't sedate me. Quate the opposite, give me tons of energy. My psych says its probably due to the anxiety being canceled out.

Tramadol's stimulating effects diminish with clonazepam administration. Moreover, clonazepam acts as a mild 5HTP antagonist which would be kill the emphathogenic effects of serotonin release. I have plenty of experience with different combos and I find the theory parallels reality. In fact, I am right now on 150mgs of Tramadol and I took last night 1.5 mgs of clonazepam and I don't feel as stimulated as I would normally on this dose.

The closest thing I can think of to Tramadol that doesn't hit the μ-opioid receptors is Indeloxazine.

Looking at the Wiki:

Indeloxazine (Elen, Noin) is a so-called cerebral activator used in Japan for the treatment of cerebrovascular disease.[1] It was launched in 1988.[2] Indeloxazine acts as a serotonin releasing agent and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.[3] It also acts as an NMDA receptor antagonist.[4] It enhances acetylcholine release through indirect activation of the 5-HT4 receptor.[5][6][7] Indeloxazine has nootropic,[8][9][6][7] neuroprotective,[10][11][12][13] anticonvulsant,[14] and antidepressant effects.[15][16][3]

Compare this to Tramadol:

Tramadol acts as a μ-opioid receptor agonist,[48][49] serotonin releasing agent,[6][7][8][9] norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor,[49] NMDA receptor antagonist,[50] 5-HT2C receptor antagonist,[51] (α7)5 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor antagonist,[52] and M1 and M3 muscarinic acetylcholine receptor antagonist.[53][54]

I've been wondering how to get a hold of some of this for a while as I love trying out different nootropics.
I also love the anxiolytic/AD and pro-social effects of Selective Serotonin Releasing Agents but thing they could do with a bit more of a "push". NE uptake inhibition might do this (minus the euphoria) without the neurotoxicity of dopamine release.

I've never used Tramadol though, although I'll be getting some as soon as I get back to Uni.

I might run this by the ADD crowd before relurking.

Last edited:
OP
I know this was posted long long ago, but try Gabapentin. Totally stim, and a mood stabilizer.