• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Attn 'old heads': How has ur drug scene changed since u first got into it?

Khadijah

Bluelight Crew
This thread is prob. more relevant to the ppl that has been in this whole life a little longer, becuz if u only started up a year or 6 mos ago, there aint gonna be much u got to say in here. But for those of us who started our drug carreers a decade ago, lots of things is different. Especially when its in a particular drug scene, like dope or E, lotta things change with the times...So this is a thread to ask you, Wat has changed about the "scene" of the drug use that ur in? How long have u been doin it for? Wats still the same, wat shit is different, wat do u think will never be able to go back to the way it was, wat things are you glad to see change and wat ones are you sad to see gone? So yall, wat ya got to say about this?

(And please, if u new to the drug world, and really dont got nothin to add becuz u started smokin bud 8 months ago, you are still buildin your history. The future of your drug use that you aint even did yet, is wat your history is gonna be 5 years from now. So, if thats the case please just listen to everybody elses stories and wait til you get some time under ur belt before u add somethin. It aint that we dont wanna hear wat u got to say its just that "Well when i first started smokin me and my boys would all blaze together but now one of them sells bud so he always want us to pay him for wat he throws in on the blunt and weed costs more than it did before" or some shit like that, really aint about a drug scene. that is just a personal experience to you. )

This is about the SCENE as a whole, NOT about YOU and your tolerance, or your preferences for drugs, or if u can afford to keep usin. Its about the OTHER ppl and the culture of ur drug of choice subculture itself. shit just aint like it used to be? 6 years ago you could just roll up to so-n-so ave and have a brick of fire-ass dope in your lap in less than 5 mintues, but nowadays that spot aint even there no more its built over with mixed income townhouses? People used to have each other backs but now its every one for theirself? Or wat the hell ever it may be those just some examples....And not all changes is bad, some times the drug world changes in good ways so include those too if u see any.

THAT is the type shit that this thread is about, not how YOU personally have changed since u started usin...So, If you aint got experience long enough to kno these type of differences, please dont just post some shit about how you and your buddies think shit like, totally changed in the 4 months since u started eatin percocets. Aight, i think that should cover everything, Ima really look forward to the shit that yall come up with, I kno there is some "old timers" on here that got lots of stories and know how shit used to be, whether back in the day was 5, 10, 15, or 25 years ago, its always interesting to hear about. Post away yall!

PS- In case ur wonderin, I put the beer mug as the icon cuz us old timers is just like a bunch of old men sittin around at a old-man bar, drinkin beers n tellin "remember when" and "back in the day" and "shit aint like that no mo" stories...lol

Well shit ive been into drugs for like 13 years. Id have to ssay the drug scene was better when we where younger. The hash couldnt be beat and valium, demerol, tylenol#3's and oxy where plentiful.

Thing is now i don'y trust the new crowd at all really. They don't seem to have the no ratting mentality bulit or beat into them like we did.

Thank you for posting this!! I'm obsessed with learning about and hearing about the "old school" scene.I have a bunch of different drug using friends, some 5 years older than me, some 15, and each have a history to tell, as well as a different scene.. Even down to the width of the bags dope came in (thinner, wider = here in the tri state area at least) One dude around here been sellin the SAME stamp for a decade . Cant find that shit anywhere else but where I'm from give or take 40 minute radius.

I can't wait to hear the replies!

The heroin scene in Newark has changed a lot since I started in the mid 90s but I'll hit the major ones:

- Dealers were TOTALLY open-air back then. As soon as I turned onto Avon Ave or 18th st or wherever, half dozen or more dudes would sprint to my car screaming the names of the stamps. Now while there are still open-air spots, most dope is sold thru Call & Meet thanks to increased LE and the advent of cell phones. Cats would NEVER give out their numbers (cause they were landlines) now if you pull up on the block you can pull off with 3 different numbers (burners that change in a few wks)

- Price of a bag has gone down. Back then it was $10 a bag and deals on bundles & bricks were not as significant as now. Bags are smaller (in quantity) and cheaper now and dealers are far more willing to cut deals

- Dope-fiends are younger nowadays. When I started it seemed most users were older and heroin was a taboo drug for teenagers/college kids. There was a whole Heroin Chic thing that went on in the 90s but its not like today when it seems most users are 18-35. I think the rise in popularity of painkillers has led more young people to dope.

- Dealers are more independent now. While gangs are more prevelant now, most street level dealers are one-man operations. They buy their bricks for X and sell for X times 1.5 (or whatever). It used to be every street would have 1 or 2 main guys with look-outs on every corner and 3 or 4 runners that would take orders and run the dope from the stash spot to the buyers. You still get tht today but not as prevalent......guess its partly due to the decrease of open-air operations and rise of Call & Meet. Really only takes 1 guy to run a call & meet operation.

I can't comment too much on how Manhattan/BK has changed since I've only been "hanging" around there for about a year so i only know what I've heard.

Also one thing i forgot to mention was that crack really took over the drug scene here a few years back in a big way. For awile and to some extent still it is easier to get crack then it is to get weed. The quality of weed has dropped abit and hash is pretty much non existant. Also the place i live was famous for the large amount and strength of the LSD that was here while now it's gotten way harder to find. Kids these days here don't even trip on shrooms much anymore even though they grow all over the damn place. If it's not coke they don't want it i guess.

By the way im not dissin coke at all (i enjoy it very much on rare occasions) it just seems to have brought out alot of unwanted elements in the drug scene here way more so then opiates have. The younger guys are more willling to rat where as the thought wouldnt even have occuried to me or most guys i knew, most dirt bag chavs aka wiggers aka cunts do cheap coke (when they can afford more then a bottle of bum wine that is 8) ) and most would think nothing of ratting on a dealer to get a lighter sentence which is one of many reasons i hate them and also the chavs are fucking heat bags do to attracting the cops out of their stupidity.

I've only been in the western europea E scene for 2 years, and it's pretty safe to say it's gone completely to shit in that time period!

id say i been using drugs since 1995, shooting drugs since 2000. for me the availiblity of prescription meds has become alot easier to get ahold of. better rx meds have also come onto the market trhat alot more potent. weed is harder for me to get but only cause i dont smoke it. quality of the dope has gone up. prices have prolly jump[ed 50% more than what theyd be 10 yrs ago. i dunno imo the older i get the easier it is for me to obtain my DOC

Thing is now i don'y trust the new crowd at all really. They don't seem to have the no ratting mentality bulit or beat into them like we did.

Seems like the no snitching mentality is weak around here, whole bunch of old dealers turned snake, talking to police. Thats the kind of thing that people get killed for and it seems like more heads are talking and getting away with it than ever before.:X:!

The only scene i can comment on is the weed scene in southern california. When i was into blazing like 8 years ago youd call up a dealer and meet them to pick up. The only name that we ever heard was "purple haze" every few months when some better than average stuff would come around. Or even rarer than that was shwag, when somebody would get a few pounds of brickweed full of stems for 1/5 the price of normal weed.
Now everybody who smokes gets a med card soon as they turn 18 and just head out to the valley or hollywood to buy ANYTHING they want at the clinic. Tons of different strains with bullshit names that people are way too into, chocolates, suckers, sodas, peanut butter, honey, basically anything you can imagine laced with weed. I only smoke a few times a year now but i wouldve been in heaven if i had it like that when i was 17.

I've only been a drug user for five years or so (albeit a pretty heavy one at that) and the main thing I've noticed is every year, good acid gets harder and harder to find.

I remember a long time ago, before prescription pain killers were abused like they are now... my friend told me I had to try these pills... he had a bunch of em, said they were $5... So I tried em having no idea what they were. He said to chew em and they make you feel real warm and good. I bought 3, they were tiny so I chewed one, waited... nothing... Chewed another waited... nothing, chewed the last one... waited... slowly that warmth crept in.

Next thing I know I'm laying in my bed feeling like I'm floating, in a suspended state of consciousness half in reality and half dreaming... just feeling absolutely amazing, fantastic, warm, secure... Then eventually I come to the next day, sick as a dog.... Well it turns out they were OC80's and my friend and myself both have no idea how I didn't die. Goes to show you why drug education is so important and so much more than the stupid don't do drugs slogan.

These days you'd fucking shit if you found a $5 oxy hookup...

I starting using in september 2005 and one thing i can say is research chemical availabilty has boomed for me since then.

I am old enough to be most of y'all's Mama. My 30th HS reunion was celebrated just recently, and I have been around the block many a time, LOL. Now, when I was much younger, say in HS, I was mostly a casual user, and then only of alcohol and marijuana. I'd say two of the biggest changes since then have been A) The availability of so many more types of drugs to different strata of society, and, concurrent with this, B), way more acceptance of drug use. When I was a young 'un, it was considered distinctly uncool among the "good kids" to use drugs, and so only the "bad kids" in school did so. Then there were those of us who fell somewhere in between and were the casual users.

You knew who they were. They were the kids who congregated across the street from the HS in the mornings, in an area called "The Pines", to smoke their cigarettes and to do whatever else it was they did. They were also the go-to people if you wanted "something", which was normally just pot, but they always had the connections and could obtain.

I first heard of this "wonder drug" called Cocaine in the late seventies, as it was gaining popularity amongst those in the music world and in Hollywood. At that time, I was like 17 and my boyfriend was 25, and he knew a few people who had tried it. It had a reputation for being a great, but short-lived high, and outrageously expensive. Not until 1984 did I ever try cocaine and cocaine by-products, and I liked it too much. So much so that it is, to this day, the only drug I have walked away from willingly without ever looking back.

Lots of the "bad kids" at my school tripped on LSD. One year on the last day of school before Christmas break, they organized "trip day", and the halls were full of people in their own little la-la lands. It was amazing the PTB didn't catch on and expel them all, as I attended a very nazi-esque HS, but somehow, they got away with it.

Nowadays, almost every HS kid I know has smoked pot, has used cocaine, and ecstacy, and a lot of them also regularly obtain opiates from their parents' medicine cabinets. There just isn't the stigma any longer. I am of the opinion that if one can't be a good example, one should be a cautionary tale, so I have been very upfront with my kids about my experiences with drugs. My daughter has had problems, but my older son has never even smoked a joint, and I would be shook if Son Two, who is only 12 right now, ever did so.

There are so may memories I have of the pot culture back in the day. The way joints were passed around during concerts with no hassle by any cops. Sneaking wineskins of booze into said concerts. Quaaludes were hugely popular, and also the t-shirts reading "Rorer 714", or whatever the markings on them were, I forget now, and am too lazy to google it, LOL. The only opiate I had ever had were T3s prescribed after Wisdom Tooth removal, and I don't think Hydrocodone was even available at that time, although I could be wrong. There was this mystique about Heroin, that if you tried it once, you were hooked for life and would wind up in the gutter, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars. That was it for you.

Basically, there was just a LOT of misinformation out there, and we didn't have the Internet to read up on anything and get the facts, so myths were passed on by word of mouth and vis a vis scare-tactic movies shown in health class, the predecessors of "D.A.R.E."

Oh the stories I could tell...

I started in the mid 70's. Then it was pot, acid, mescaline and pcp. Then in the 80's the only things I could get were pot and great coke. Then in the 90's I went straight :) Then in 2001, I started with H and opiates. It's funny how certain drugs last for about a decade and then become unavailable and other drugs take their place. Anyway, my favorite is H or whatever opiate I can find and since that is what is available this decade, I'm happy :)
Az

One thing that hasn't changed much in nominal terms is the price of weed. AAA indoor has held steady at 300-400 and eighths are still 50 in my local area. This is over a 14 year period...Prices are very "sticky". Obviously due to inflation its gotten much cheaper.

One trend I don't like is people misrepresenting drugs and or just selling absolute shit. Drugs were consistently good, and if they weren't it caused problems for the dealer. Pipes would not have flown 10yrs ago. Dealers don't have ethics, but mostly customers are more willing to tell themselves its ok to buy and consume shit.

I think this effect mirrors society, I firmly believe people are getting dumber on average.

One thing that hasn't changed much in nominal terms is the price of weed. AAA indoor has held steady at 300-400 and eighths are still 50 in my local area. This is over a 14 year period...Prices are very "sticky". Obviously due to inflation its gotten much cheaper.

One trend I don't like is people misrepresenting drugs and or just selling absolute shit. Drugs were consistently good, and if they weren't it caused problems for the dealer. Pipes would not have flown 10yrs ago. Dealers don't have ethics, but mostly customers are more willing to tell themselves its ok to buy and consume shit.

I think this effect mirrors society, I firmly believe people are getting dumber on average.

Maybe so.

Do you think the overall quality of drugs has really changed all that much? I was told by my ex's coke dealer that, if I were to try coke today, I'd be sorely disappointed in comparison to the stuff I got back in the 80s. Do yall think this is true?

Personal history. Weed since 2000, opiates since 2004.
Weed was mostly hydro with some exotics until about 2007 when it was almost all exotics and some hydro. As for opiates, vicodins moved from college student to 9th graders. Oxycontins were all over in 2003-2007. Some are still around but the demand for that heron is keeping them away. The heron in 05-07 was really concistent and really good, but couldnt get good deals in the burbs. It was mostly 1man operations w/ them running to the city twice a week. Now the gangs have the diesel, and you can get "weight" from a number of sources in the burbs on NY, but the quality isnt anywhere near what it was. Unstamped glassine bags low quality being pushed. When I do get stamps its all different stuff in the same stamps in a given bundle.

In the 1970's we sold pot at 45 bucks a quarter pound, 15 dollars an ounce. This was good Mexican green/brown. Columbian pot was 35 dollars an ounce, 120 a quarter pound.
I agree about the coke. In the 80's coke was awesome. I've had some coke in the past 5 years and to me it is terrible. It tastes terrible and makes me feel like I'm going to have heart failure.
Az

Maybe so.

Do you think the overall quality of drugs has really changed all that much? I was told by my ex's coke dealer that, if I were to try coke today, I'd be sorely disappointed in comparison to the stuff I got back in the 80s. Do yall think this is true?

Certain drugs yes and others no. Quality of meth and heroin have gone up since the 70's and 80's for sure. You can get lab-grade meth at like 99.8% now. Powder heroin from Colombia is 95%~ when imported and can be as high as 85% on the street, over 70% in many cities in NJ and in NYC. Mexican tar can be good to [50%] from what I hear, and they can make it better but they are lazy and they cut it to shit to make the money. Quality of weed has definitely gone up with all the genetics and indoor hydro grows and seed swapping and stuff.

On the other hand, quality of coke has gone down from what I read and seen on TV/documentaries. The country was flooded with coke in the 80's during the boom, but now transportation routes have changed and the amount being imported is still high and supplies much of the country but has dropped. Quality stuff coming in (95%~) but it gets cut to shit more than once since it switches hands so much. Street dealers in coke aren't the business men of the 80's.. nothing to keep the customer happy (not even adding good cuts) but adding more of the bad cuts in return for more profit. I'm sure the price of a ki has gone down, so maybe that is why.