• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Attn 'old heads': How has ur drug scene changed since u first got into it?

All the teenager stoners (and some young adults) in town used to be much closer. We have this large open area in my town (any more info would betray location) and we used to hang out in fairly large packs of 10-20 people at times, we'd all wander around together, go to buy booze and cigs together, bum cigs to eachother and share our liquor and weed.

I don't know what happened but everybody's split off into their own scenes.

Doesn't bother me much, I think we all just outgrew the "wander around town all day smoking weed" phase, though the new generation has not imitated us. I never see big packs of potheads walking around the ghetto anymore.

It was a lot of fun kinda, we had so many smoking spots and they all had their own names and if you found a good one you had instant "fame" (sorta). So everybody would be like "Hey let's go to that spot Jack found last year" "hell yeah I love that spot!" "wait guys doesn't that spot only hold like three or four people?" "oh yeah . . . hmm well let's go to the dumpster" "man I don't like the dumpsters I heard someone got mugged over there" "well how about my old drinking spot?" "yeah that sounds fine we have to be careful though this many people going down there could be sketch" "okay let's split up into three groups and each go there at fifteen minute intervals" "too much work fuck it let's just all go" "k"

Stuff like that. But we all went our separate ways and we're all too smart to smoke a buncha weed outside :)

Edit: I'll also say that people were WAY nicer in that generation (and I'm only talking like five years ago here). There were a few jerks but generally we were very accepting. A lot of the people in our "packs" were very "straight", myself included, and they weren't judged by the more "hardcore" types, nor did the "straight" people judge the "hardcore" ones (even though we all basically smoked the same). You'd have new people and everyone would be friendly and we'd have good conversations . . . heck we even had a few ghetto black friends.

Now people are much much meaner and if you don't fit in perfectly with their chosen stereotype ("smart-stoner", "stoner-stoner", "harddrugs-stoner") people will treat you like shit. That makes me pretty mad really, I don't know why people are mean to each other for no damn reason.

Even when someone did something that warranted anger we'd just politely but firmly stop hanging with them, and that was very rare.

Last edited:
I started my career in the early 90's. The number one thing I have noticed is the disappearance of the open air markets. In NYC up untill Guliani started his shit storm, it almost seemed as if drugs were legal. I used to buy weed in stores. In fact I used to buy dope over the counter for a while at a bodega in Harlem. Up on 158th there would be crowds of people in front of doorways, trying to sell you cocaine, which was both cheap and high quality. The dope was way stronger then too. Ten dollar bags were much larger. Without a tolerance, few people could handle ONE dime bag of dope.
North Philly was even more wide open than NY. John Street put an end to that.
In Opa-Locka, the dope capital of Miami/Dade, over the past 4 or 5 years, street dealing has been pushed underground and most guys just use prepaid cells. Another So.Fla thing that has changed is the availability of Oxys/Roxys. Ten years ago, NOBODY I knew fucked around with pills. Whereas good dope is still better and cheaper, pills are so readily available that out of convenience alot of people are settling for them now.
I am proud to say that Baltimore is going harder than ever. I left there several years ago, and was back recently to find things more off the chain than I remembered. Maybe the two days I was there were an exception, but according to some old heads I ran into, that is not the case.

Oxycontin 80's aren't 10$ anymore. They used to be when I first started back in 2003. Meth is not cooked locally no more and is imported from Mexico now. I don't really do meth but Ive done it a probably 2 dozen times, years ago though, when all the shit was cooked locally and that stuff was good.

When I first started doing heroin there was nothing but stamped stamp bags (meaning stamp bags with a stamp on them) and there wasn't that much 'weight' around in the suburbs so if you wanted a decent amount you either had to make a run to the city to get it yourself, or pay a heavy tax on bags that someone who dealt (usually somewhere between being a middleman and a dealer) would go and get for you.

After a few years I have seen a lot more 'blank' stamp bags surface (stamp bags with no stamp on them, and often times not taped shut either) as well as more weight being available around here, and for about the same price as one pays in the city. The trade-off though is smaller bags, but the traditional stamp bags with stamps on them are still available but you may have to pay a little more for them, or go to the city to get them yourself.

The next change came about a year ago when I began coming across heroin that was not in any sort of a stamp bag (stamped or not) but rather just put in a plastic grocery bag corner and tied tightly shut. It made sense because a lot of dealers have minimum sales of a bundle, so if you're buying at least a bundle there's not much of a point in having to bag it all out.

OK, I'm going to talk about three scenes. Coke, Ecstasy (MDMA) and Dope (Heroin).

Coke I used to be able to score open-air very easily in Newark, NJ around 2004-2006. Bags were always "dimes" and you could get deals if you got more than 4 usually. This is not the case anymore. You would always ask for "raw" or "soft" for powder and "hard" or "rock" for crack, but I almost always got powder back then.

Between 2004 and 2008ish there were ecstasy pressed pills available, sometimes you could get them for the same price as a pack of cigarettes (at the time not the price of cigs now ;p)

Nowadays its only crystals that are sold as "molly" but its a crap shoot, sometimes its MDMA, many times its not.

Heroin bags used to be sold much more open air, and they were proper "dimes" but always stamp bags. The only city I've scored dope in that wasn't stamp bags was Rochester, NY. The heroin stamp bags in Newark, NJ used to be more like "brooklyn" style bags, wider etc. These days the dope is pretty decent, but the bags are alot smaller. Doing a whole bundle in a shot happens today. That would be unthinkable "back in the day"

Not really an old head but I'm more down then most in my city.

Opiates:
Everybody is on pills now some of my best friends are turned out big time. I got started with opiates early. Seem to have better control than some close to me. Heroin scene sucks. Hit or mess and barely any dealers.

Mdma/rave:
Scene is blowing up huge. More local shows and festivals. More people coming and more good molly then there has been in forever.
I test all my chemicals and I have my own hook but testing for friends has been mostly good outcomes.

Weed:
I still remember when it was all dirt weed. Some times we would get bags an only one kid who always got way more blazed then us would get high.
Now I got 3/4 good connects for chronic. Most likely due to legalization in surrounding states but its been awesome.

Not really into the coke or meth scenes so I can't comment. But I do know most coke here garbage and meth is everywhere.

I LOVE BOISE lol

Opiates: People used to treat me as a scumbag for using too many Norcos and Oxys, and then when I started H it was over, lost tons of respect. Then all the sudden these past few years it's become more accepted, which I guess is good. However that has driven up prices, which is bad. And I hate seeing the public eye on my DOC

Prescriptions: Especially in Orange County LA CA and all of Florida those greedy Docs are blowin up pills for the rest of us.

And I remember when stacked pure MDMA (stamped) cost me $6 a pill, while now what I also believe to be pure MDMA, as I've had all the variants, and very high quality at that, has nearly tripled in price, while high quality crystal has gone down.

Herb is much easier to get, much more accepted too.

I no longer use as I'm over a year sober; but I did start as a teenager which was over a decade ago.

I never got into research chemicals but now the whole scene with those has exploded and gotten pretty out of hand.

The quality of Cannabis really has gotten a lot better. When I first started smoking cannabis as a teenager what you'd call schwag and mid-grade were around, and excellent quality herb was rare; but now it's the opposite. Also, people are always going to smoke herb but now with cheap yet high effective vaporizers flooding the consumer market, and more people vaporizing oil, wax, dabs, etc. more people are vaporizing now. When I first got into using drugs nobody vaporized at all, and there were not vaporizers around, and then they came out and were highly expensive and not that effective.

I never got into IV drug use and never injected anything but friends of mine did, and I have noticed how now people are all about using micron filters when in the past or probably still, with a lot of IV drug users they didn't care about that sort of thing and just wanted to get high.

I also remember in highschool when the use of prescription opiates, and amphetamines (Adderall and Dexedrine) exploded. Kids who were not even into drugs or didn't even drink alcohol or smoke herb got into them and would steal them from their parents, siblings, or get them from friends. It was also this way with benzos like Xanax, valium, Klonopin, etc.

After the large LSD bust in Kansas it was very difficult to find acid and what was around was weak, or a research chemical so a lot of people who were into tripping just switched to eating mushrooms instead.

As a teenager I remember PCP being common-I never used it but friends of mine did-and I'm sure it still is in the area I grew up in, but there's just a much greater demand for coke/crack, heroin, prescription opiates, prescription amphetamines, cannabis, ecstasy, Ketamine, and meth now based on what I've read in the news.

With alcohol it's gotten more expensive, there are more options for flavored liquors and beers, and now since people enjoy combining red bull or other energy drinks with liquor they've started producing and marketing alcohol that has caffeine in it.

Last edited:
From when I was 16, it went from cocaine being popular, to ecstasy and LSD, to heroin, and then meth. (These went to being non existent to having over abundance in my town, then moved to the next drug.) it's like they trended, and was what all the suppliers bought.
I know they weren't widely accepted, but back in 2001 meth was seen as horrrrrrible, more than any drug, and hardly anyone would use it. Now I see all types of people. Even higher class users. It's easier to find. I dont ever use it, but I can go anywhere around SAn Diego and find it or know it's around.

Marijuana use is way more widely accepted among all sorts of social classes. Maybe it's because I live in California. Not sure. But since the new synthetic weed, cocaine (bath salts) and other stuff came around, I think it's making original drugs get less heat. Maybe I'm wrong. Just what I've noticed.
Marijuana definitely has gained more acceptance. And the advancements in growing, effects, and potency are crazy! Never believed weed had different highs until I moved here and started smoking medical. Crazy!

Well my heyday of slamming speedballs and spending all my time on 16th st in the Mission district here in SF, was in the late 90's. Back then there were tons of dealers out there, and if there weren't obvious dealers there were tons of junkies who hustled - got customers for the dealers in return for a free bag for every x many customers they brought. So I could always score, day or night. I went out there for the first time in years yesterday, saw a likely looking dude, asked him if he had anything, he shook his head, took two steps and almost walked into two beatwalkers. So that was fun. Went to Walgreens, came out, stood in front for a minute deciding what to do, and see the beatwalkers coming up the street again. So I said "fuck this" and went to the tenderloin & ended up scoring there. It seems like the 16th st scene has totally changed, I don't even recognize it now.

Also, bags are more expensive. Or maybe I just got ripped off - I don't even know how much a bag is these days. Dude told me xxx bucks so I bought xxx. Back in the day a 1&1 (bag of heroin and bag of coke) would be xxx bucks, H by itself was xxx. That was 15 years ago, so i guess prices do go up, but xxx bucks seemed like a lot for the small bags I got. Good dope though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Past tense isnt a huge deal, especially from 15 years ago but thanks though.

I was too caught up in my San Francisco nostalgia.

In the old days, ppl would go to raves so they could find ecstasy to buy. Dealers would show up with mass amounts and sell it in the club. Nowadays, ppl use the dark web more.

Doctors would rather prescribe you double the dose of any other benzo than give you any Xanax.
I think they assume the other brands don't carry the name recognition of abuse that Xanax has.
I have to get a handwritten prescription monthly for anything controlled like benzos and adderal. No refills or calling it in. But all they make you do is drop by the receptionists desk and pick up, I don't see how that makes a difference.

Christ I hope I'm not an 'old head' lol. I started using drugs in 92 (so I probably am...). Aside from the huge shift in the 90's from cocaine to opiates today and prices the biggest thing I think is the Internet, deep web, and the ability to have whatever you want delivered to your door (not advocating). Also I haven't seen decent cocaine since the 90's.

Doctors would rather prescribe you double the dose of any other benzo than give you any Xanax.
I think they assume the other brands don't carry the name recognition of abuse that Xanax has.
I have to get a handwritten prescription monthly for anything controlled like benzos and adderal. No refills or calling it in. But all they make you do is drop by the receptionists desk and pick up, I don't see how that makes a difference.

Doctors used to really not give a shit about controlled meds- things have gotten way more strict over the last 10-15 years. Some doctors can actually electronically send adderall and benzo scripts now but I think it's a pain in the ass. I had a doctor starting to send it and it always took a day to get there. Then I moved and had to pick up the paper scripts again. Now again I have another doctor who sends everything electronically. I don't get the difference either- it seems like electronically would be more secure than giving you a paper copy you can mess with. Also I recently was drug tested recently before I could get my script which is definitely a new bullshit thing.