• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Teenagers 'snort bath salts'

WeedMyLips

Bluelighter
TEENAGERS in Londonderry are snorting a certain type of bath salts, it can be revealed.

A drug intervention worker told the Sentinel that so called 'legal highs' are a "massive problem" in the North West.

Specific substances are being sold legally in Londonderry and being used as recreational drugs.

The substances are being marketed for example as bath salts, but used as 'herbal cocaine'. Other 'legal high' products are also sold over the counter in Londonderry.

A worker who works with a drug intervention service (DAISY) said the abuse of these substances is "quite common" and he has witnessed a "huge increase" in the last number of years. The problem, according to another person working at DAISY, seems to be most prevalent among teenagers.

The DAISY (Drug and Alcohol Intervention Service for Youths) worker says that he treats both legal and illegal substances in the same way.

"I work as a key worker through drug and alcohol with young people. Out of a group of twenty I have at the minute, five of them would be using (legal drugs) regularly. And by regularly I mean four or five times a week."

The intervention worker says that he has been working with young people for a number of years and has witnessed an increase in the number of young people using these substances.

"It is a massive problem. A number of years ago I wouldn't have seen as many. It is quite common now, there has been a huge increase.

"I know that there is drug dealing going on in Limavady with this. Apparently, they are being bought and mixed with other stuff, maybe rat poison; I don't know."

He emphasises that the drugs are not safe simply because they have not been made illegal.
"People are believing it's safe. They think it is like a postcard to go out and buy it. It is seen as a safe alternative. But the fact is that there is little information out there about what the effects of these drugs are."

The DAISY worker says that he treats the misuse of 'herbal cocaine' as the same as the illegal version.

"They are using four to five times a week. This is a normal addiction. I treat people who use herbal cocaine as the same as those who use illegal cocaine. We do not treat legal highs differently. We work with people with drug problems, illegal or not."

He says that a major problem with these substances is the fact that people may become long term drug users who might not otherwise have taken drugs.

"It is like a gateway drug. People see that it is legal and they don't even really consider it as taking drugs. It is drug use, legal or not. People who might not take drugs are taking this stuff because they see that it is legal. They wouldn't have taken it because of political reasons, police, whatever it is, but then they go for the herbal stuff, get the high and end up really getting in to the drugs. They keep going for that high and end up taking all sorts of drugs."

The substances may be sold legally because they are being marked with 'Not for human consumption'.

The DAISY worker says that he has personally been researching the problem of legal highs. Contributing to the problem, is a lack of information about the effects, he said.

"If you go online and look at the sites, all you can see is users describing the 'high'. There is nothing in the way of information about the effects of these drugs. People don't know what this stuff is doing to them."

A PSNI spokeswoman said: "Police are not aware of any specific incidents relating to this substance however we would advise the public to come forward with any information they have about the abuse of any drug.

"Abusing any chemical substance can have serious long term health risks."

By Niall Deeney
December 10, 2009
London Derry Sentinel
http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk...lts.5900790.jp

^^

Because the 'bath salts' are actually mephedrone, methylone and various other research chemicals.

Quite simple to get high off bath salts or 'plant feeder' in the UK.

People who might not take drugs are taking this stuff because they see that it is legal. They wouldn't have taken it because of political reasons
Does anybody else see this as contradictory?????????

What a shit article full of crap. How can you say "legal highs" are "gateway drugs" but not alcohol? Thats a load of shit. Also the guy just assuming people are cutting it with rat poison, what the fuck, where is the logic in that? Yet another scare story with no useful information.

What a shit article full of crap. How can you say "legal highs" are "gateway drugs" but not alcohol? Thats a load of shit. Also the guy just assuming people are cutting it with rat poison, what the fuck, where is the logic in that? Yet another scare story with no useful information.

Yea, the quote about the rat poison is ridiculous.

Anyone who still beleives drugs are cut with rat poison is a fucking moron..

If its bath salt, wouldn't it have something like sodium citrate or some kind of epsom salt in it?

If I were to abuse bathsalt, I'd want to extract the stimulant or whatever, not to snort the salts.

^^
I haven't tried 'em or seen 'em and could be wrong, but I don't think there are any "bath salts" or "plant food" in these products. The only ingredient probably listed on the side is baking soda or something else inert. THen again if it's not labled for human consumption they may not have to put any of the ingredients on the label. :\

is "london" and "derry" not two different places :S i could have swore london was in england :S:S... and derry in the north of ireland, surely theres some sort of mistake down the line here somewhere?

erm LONDONDERRY is a separate place to london, and another name for derry. It may have been called this after Northern Ireland broke away and it was ruled from London...

^^

Because the 'bath salts' are actually mephedrone, methylone and various other research chemicals.

Quite simple to get high off bath salts or 'plant feeder' in the UK.

pill thrill the ones in the stores here work too trust me

Bath Salt Caution

How the fuck do you get high off of freaking bath salts?

I am someone with an experimental streak. So I "had to" try Eclipse 'bath salts' - and I discovered what my first experience told me was a great high.

It is now about a month later, and every time I have taken Eclipse, I go into a fearful adrenalgic state. It is quite unpleasant. It is like being trapped in hell for a few hours. :( cowering in a corner. This never happened to me when I tool cocaine or amphetamine.

I would like warn some of you folks that you could have the same result from your own brand of bath salts. So please be careful and redalize these things aren't as innocuous as we would like to think.

I am someone with an experimental streak. So I "had to" try Eclipse 'bath salts' - and I discovered what my first experience told me was a great high.

It is now about a month later, and every time I have taken Eclipse, I go into a fearful adrenalgic state. It is quite unpleasant. It is like being trapped in hell for a few hours. :( cowering in a corner. This never happened to me when I tool cocaine or amphetamine.

Sooo.... Shouldn't this tell you to knock the Eclipse on the head and maybe try something else instead? Why continue to use this when it's clearly not sitting well with you?

Please don't tell me that some users of this site still don't get that drugs sold as "bath salts" are not actually bath salts?