• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How long does it take for your lungs to heal after you stop smoking?

Visionary_Kpsycho

Bluelighter
Any of you know when your lungs actually repair themselves after you stop smoking cigs/weed? Is it 7 years after your last smoke/joint? Any of you know the amount of time?

piece of string? some information?

unless youve really really damaged them from like 10-30+ years of non stop smoking, id say not that long really. if you do some exercise and cardio stuff at the same time as quitting completely, id say youd be close to feeling your best after a very minimal amount of time. id say less than a year for sure. I only quit smoking cigarettes a little while ago, and I still smoke weed and my lungs feel about 5 billion times better already. even started running and training again without any problems after 7 solid years of cigarette smoking at the 1-2 pack a day amount.

Smoking cigs/weed aren't the same thing. There's never been a case of a cannabis-only smoker contracting lung cancer, it just doesn't have the same health risks.

i believe there are many studies that support that smoking weed alone does not cause lung cancer, cigs on the other hand just put them down op.

There's never been a case of a cannabis-only smoker contracting lung cancer, it just doesn't have the same health risks.

I think that's a pretty hard claim to make...

it'd probably be more accurate to say that it's never been proven that cannabis itself causes cancer, but i'm pretty confident that there's cases of marijuana-only smokers who've contracted the big C.

I hate how so many people believe that lung cancer is necessarily caused by smoking or something. Lung cancer has always existed, due to radon I think it is. Smokers just have a higher relative risk. Because of this, and the fact that smoking plant matter to my mind MUST be in some way carcinogenic, marijuana most likely does lead to an increased risk of lung cancer. It would just be a lesser relative increase than tobacco. Even if you hide in a hole your whole life and never come to the surface, eat purely healthy food and never even smell smoke, you could still get lung cancer. Don't forget that.

Cancer is a lotto. Some of us just bought more tickets. Doesn't mean we're going to win.

I think that's a pretty hard claim to make...

it'd probably be more accurate to say that it's never been proven that cannabis itself causes cancer, but i'm pretty confident that there's cases of marijuana-only smokers who've contracted the big C.
You're right. It would be highly surprising if no-one who had ever smoked cannabis had ever contracted cancer. What I meant is that the evidence for that exists for a causal link between tobacco smoking and cancer does not exist for cannabis smoking and cancer.

Give it 8-12 weeks probably.

I used to smoke about 3 8ths a week out of pipes .. My lungs were terrible. I was out of breath a lot when exercising even though i was in killer shape. Granted I was still biking around 75 miles a day.. Then i quit smoking over the winter .. (went to vape exclusively) .. after switching to vape, my athletic endurance improved remarkably, and i felt like it peaked at around 4 months. I have never been out of breath since.

Even though THC has been shown to be an extraordinary anti-cancer compound, your lungs are still getting filled with tar like substances.. while pot smoke has conclusively been shown *not* to lead to emphysema or lung cell damage, it definitely clogs your lung a bit. Just give it some time and exercise . You'll be coughing or clearing your throat a lot and thats all the crap getting removed from your lungs by the cilia escalator in your bronchial tubes. With tobacco that doesnt happen cause tobacco smoke kills a lot of those cells.

Source- - health professional

I'm pretty sure lungs are capable of self repair, given proper conditions and good diet. And of course quitting smoking. I hear carrots are the answer.

This is provided they aren't a black tar-filled cesspool by the time you get around to it.

You're right. It would be highly surprising if no-one who had ever smoked cannabis had ever contracted cancer. What I meant is that the evidence for that exists for a causal link between tobacco smoking and cancer does not exist for cannabis smoking and cancer.

yeah, i hear you. it was just kind of confusing and i'd hate for someone to word a pro-pot argument against a Drug War supporter like that if they ever tried to repeat what you said.

Why do you think they give cannabis to patients with cancer?

It has been proven that THC reduces/stops the growth of cancerous cells.

If you smoke straight weed, you dont need to worry about lung cancer, it's those ciggarettes that will put you in your grave:|

Don't know if this will help but I've been toking for 40 years. My Mother and Father both died of cancer. I must have that fucking cancer gene in me. Mom and Dad never smoked weed so maybe just maybe I won't get the big C because I do smoke weed. Obviously I am older then most on here and I can still walk 18 holes of golf carrying my bag. For years I told myself I better quit for health reasons but I'm as healthy as my counterparts at this age and I'm a true believer when its your time its your time no matter what you do. I'll toke to the end.

The more healthy you get and try to maintain probbly the faster it will heal. If your interested there are some products at nutrition stores that help to cleanse the lungs somehow. Personally I never tried it cuz it's probably too expensive but my friend who knows his nutritional shi (he works there), told me the product was actually great. Said within a few days he was just coughing up all the shit he didn't want in them.

Inhaling smoke of any kind on a regular basis will most likely give you lung cancer.

What's so special/different about cannabis smoke? (Apart from the fact cannabis gets you high).

It still contains tar/resin and will fuck up your lungs.

California Officials Say Pot Smoke Causes Cancer

By Associated Press - Friday, June 19 2009
Tags: Headline News,california,government.

Marijuana smoke has joined tobacco smoke and hundreds of other chemicals on a list of substances California regulators say cause cancer.

The ruling Friday by the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment likely will force pot shops with 10 or more employees to post warnings. Final guidelines are expected by the time warning requirements take effect in a year.
The listing only applies to marijuana smoke, not the plant itself.

Spokesman Sam Delson says the state agency found marijuana smoke contains 33 of the same harmful chemicals as tobacco smoke.

Delson says the findings came from a review of more than 30 scientific papers.

California's Proposition 65 requires businesses to warn consumers of chemicals that cause cancer or reproductive harm.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/content/california-officials-say-pot-smoke-causes-cancer

A total of 611 lung cancer patients living in Los Angeles County, and 601 patients with other cancers of the head and neck were compared with 1,040 people without cancer matched for age, sex, and the neighborhood they lived in.

All the participants were asked about lifetime use of marijuana, tobacco, and alcohol, as well as other drugs, their diets, occupation, family history of lung cancer, and socioeconomic status.

The heaviest marijuana users in the study had smoked more than 22,000 joints, while moderately heavy smokers had smoked between 11,000 and 22,000 joints.

While two-pack-a-day or more cigarette smokers were found to have a 20-fold increase in lung cancer risk, no elevation in risk was seen for even the very heaviest marijuana smokers.
Studies suggest that marijuana smoke contains 50% higher concentrations of chemicals linked to lung cancer than cigarette smoke. Marijuana smokers also tend to inhale deeper than cigarette smokers and hold the inhaled smoke in their lungs longer.

So why isn’t smoking marijuana as dangerous as smoking cigarettes in terms of cancer risk?The answer isn’t clear, but the experts say it might have something to do with tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, which is a chemical found in marijuana smoke.

Cellular studies and even some studies in animal models suggest that THC has antitumor properties, either by encouraging the death of genetically damaged cells that can become cancerous or by restricting the development of the blood supply that feeds tumors, Tashkin tells WebMD.
http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20060523/pot-smoking-not-linked-to-lung-cancer

Don't know if this will help but I've been toking for 40 years. My Mother and Father both died of cancer. I must have that fucking cancer gene in me. Mom and Dad never smoked weed so maybe just maybe I won't get the big C because I do smoke weed. Obviously I am older then most on here and I can still walk 18 holes of golf carrying my bag. For years I told myself I better quit for health reasons but I'm as healthy as my counterparts at this age and I'm a true believer when its your time its your time no matter what you do. I'll toke to the end.

Hell fuckin yeah!! Here's to life long enjoyment of this wonderful plant at all ages!

Form a harm reduction POV use a vaporiser, means you can still enjoy the benefits of weed and virtually eliminates the carcinogens associated with burning the plant matter

Thus minimal lung damage =D