Burning Maaaan!!!

Yeah, check out my trip reports from burningman (search yucatanboy in "trip reports" forum) to get some idea of craziness that goes on. I think erowid has some burningman trip reports too and there are tons of videos on youtube of burningman

I've taken mdma there multiple times a year, and acid once a year, drinking heavily throughout and smoking weed and whatever else I get my hands on. Theres an absinthe bar I like frequenting there too

^ what does that have to do with burningman?

I am gonna bump this, as I am probably not going this coming year, but I want to hear if people want to/are planning on going.

Also, burningman newbies, ask away! I have tons of survival tips if needed, and three years of experience to draw upon - 2006, 2008, 2009 (although there are plenty of people who have been going for well over a decade or more!)

So I've heard intresting things about how people barter at burning man; no cash scenarios. Someone will trade some art or something unique for acid/food/drink?

At least I've heard its frowned upon to use greenbacks. Obviously people still use cash, so I'm curious about the dynamics if all I got is cash. Help anyone?

Keep in mind that the Arizona police presence at Burning Man is fairly substantial. Once Burning Man is all set up and people go in, it becomes a community of what, some 50,000 people? You don't think that the AZ police are there to make sure shit doesn't happen? People do get arrested. If you do anything you need to be smart about it. Burning Man is a gifting community. You can barter with people, lend them something to help them out, help them out in general, and you could get rewarded with something nice to try while you are there.

In regards to the post about money:

Yes, it is a "gifting" system, in that everyone should bring everything they need, and then they gift to each other, things like art, nifty little trinkets, food, etc. You don't actually Barter, per se

You need some money, because there is an ice tent where you can buy a block or bag of ice for 2-3 dollars (and you'll need ice to keep your food cold, or ice for drinks, etc). Also, center camp has a coffee/tea stand that takes money. Besides that, nothing takes money.

Money is definitely used to buy illegal drugs, i pretty sure people don't gift drugs that much. You can get absinthe gifted, and i've been gifted plenty of weed there (but was gifting in return), but harder stuff you usually have to bring with you and buy.

Booze and beer is gifted like crazy (half or more of the camps have bars that serve freely without taking anything in return, but its nice to gift them something cool). Many art cars also have bars on them, and don't take anything in return for drinks. Be interactive with them when they are serving you, socialize and have fun, its part of the experience :).

In regards to police presence:

Of course there is police around! Everyone from local police on up to feds (it is bureau of land management land, after all!!) Don't be stupid and walk around using/yelling about drugs in communal spaces with a lot of traffic, you will get cited or arrested (just like any big city). Usually there are a couple of hundred citations made a year. That said, police don't go around to private camps, they're mainly out on the playa, and at the big communal party camps, patroling. There are also burningman volunteers, Rangers, who act as safely officers. They're awesome people there to make sure people are being safe and following the rules, and they don't get police involved unless they absolutely have to. They patrol burningman, protect people from the big burns (burning the man, etc), and prevent people from sneaking in (they have a radar that can see things as small as small birds out past the limits of the city :) ). They volunteer 50+ hours for a couple of weeks making burningman the safe and awesome place it is.

bring lots and lots of chapstick. Actually, next time I go to burning man I'll probably buy a big box of lip balm to give away to people. two of us actually left to the shops in town partly so that we can get some chapstick.

nicely summed up yucatanboy. everyone always assumes it is a 'barter community,' which is highly inaccurate. Bring everything you need. If you don't have something you need, ask for it. If someone asks you for something you have and don't need, give it to them.

there is a few of us coming from ireland for burning man again this year

cant wait, hope to see some fellow bluelighters there - in 2008 i randomly bumped into staroceanhouse in the middle of the playa one night when wandering around... was crazy!

Just got my ticket and requested time off from work. It's now a reality. :D

Burning Man is awesome. I rolled out there, gonna do it again this year. People do all sorts of drugs out there. Although a lot of people believe that's what it's all about it definitely isn't. It's all about the community of people that go out there and the experiences you'll share with them.

BM Tips: Bring things to give away.. Something small, fun, and commemorative which people will be able to take home and enjoy or use while on the playa...
Bring lots of water and food that doesn't go bad easily.. You won't eat to much out there though, but make sure your eating enough..
Bring a ton of toilet paper.. thats all you can put into the port o poties out there..
If your planning on getting high, take the substance out there.. don't bet on finding it out there to buy...
A SHIT LOAD of Vaseline or extreme strength lotion.. Believe me you'll be greatfull!!
Lots of light toys, and flashy things that you can put on youself, bike, or around your camp...
Last but not least.... go with an open mind, and a great attitude.

Best experience of a lifetime!...
The Man burns on my B-Day this year..=D.

How long drive is it from LA (Westside)?
Which DJ's will be playing there this year?

It is around a 10 to 11 hour drive from LA... About 8 hours to Reno then about another 2.5 hours out to the playa.. Who knows what DJ's will be out there.. Here's this from the Burning Man Website..

"What Isn't Burning Man?

Burning Man isn't a "festival" as most people know them. There is no "main stage," and other than burning the Man, the Burning Man Project doesn't book and schedule any entertainment. Instead, we are an entirely participant-driven event, and therein lies the novelty"

That's the best part about Burning Man. Last year there were some amazing DJ's out there.. I know DJ Dan and Armen Van Buuren were out there but it's not about the DJ's it's about everything else.. And you'll be able to see and hear amazing music from DJ's all around the world..

tickets bought - all thats needed now is food, water and booze

just over three months left to wait.... hurrrrry up timeeee!!!!!

I've been going for the past four or five years. Not a good place to score drugs. I found (literally, on the ground) some shrooms & a ten-strip last year.

Beware of the dust/wind storms. Bring some shade!

I think the playa will be in better shape than the previous two or three years. Last year (and year before) were really bad for dust due to not much winter rain/snow.

I went last year, had a great time. from my observations booze is the only freely flowing drug, everything else is kept discrete. don't plan on onsite procurment, bring your own drugs.
I find useless trinkets useless so I didn't really get into the gifting aspect as much, but lots of people seem to enjoy giving that stuff out. I still had a great time though, as there really is something for everyone there.

this years tickets are on my fridge right now :)

+1 on the drug front
very hard to score out there

unless you meet people who really like you and decide to give (or most likely sell) you some of their personal stash

or you might be able to swap something but not worth the hassle really

you dont need drugs out there though in all seriousness

few beers and that was enough for us for most nights, what an amazing place

there is a few of us coming from ireland for burning man again this year

cant wait, hope to see some fellow bluelighters there - in 2008 i randomly bumped into staroceanhouse in the middle of the playa one night when wandering around... was crazy!

hey man, do you still have that picture? :)