• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Best drugs to take during opiate withdrawal.

I think the benefits of smoking weed durring withdrawal are extremely minor...

For me, a daily smoker of about a 1/16th OZ of good cali bud, smoking durring withdrawals seems to just offer me a bit of entertainment in the same way it treats me when im not in withdrawal, nothing spectacular.

As for the pain and anxiety and restless legs, it doesnt do shit, It helps with nausea and appetite, but never sleep.

I have always thought this was the same for everyone, but maybe im the exception to the rule.

Thank you for reading my post. 'Boodha', to answer your questions. I tapered down to 2mg from around 4mg initially. I jumped off at 2mg after about a month and the "peak" of the withdrawal was definetly on day 2 for me. Overall, the physical symptoms lasted about a week.

QFT. This is exactly how it is for me, I'm on Day 7 right now.

also in regards to what the OP said about a hot bath or shower, i find that a hot bath or shower provides at least 30mins-1hour of relief after said bath or shower is over

It's certainly not the best method, but it works hands down. Immodium doesn't have to be taken just for the shits, in large enough doses it can act as a mild opiate. Helping to slowly taper off of ones dope habbit or etc.

I'm suprised the search function wasn't able to assist you. Everything on this forum has been asked at least a hundred times. Good luck, with the 'drawal.

"jimmy legs/midnight breakdancing

HaHaHa this made me crack up!!!

You never heard those words before? :D

Oh, and I disagree with weed being universally good for wd. I can't stand the stuff - especially when clucking. It puts my mind into an even worse place.

I would rather have a hot shower than a joint.

^^^ I agree

WEED is TERRIBLE during w/d it makes all the symptoms more noticeable and the anxiety is INSANE

^ Horribly.

Your in a real fragile state of mind when in smack WD - taking shrooms/acid/whatever would just be fucking horrid.

^^^ I agree

WEED is TERRIBLE during w/d it makes all the symptoms more noticeable and the anxiety is INSANE

did you used weed when you used opes?

i find that people who have always used weed or whatever find weed to be helpful in Ope wd but i can def see someone who didnt really use weed not getting much outa using it in WD

but i have been using weed daily long before i started using opiates daily

I've been through both dopesick w/ds and w/ds from oxy use. The tips from the posts I've read through have got me out of some pretty tough spots, but I have to agree with some of the skeptics about weed use here.

I used to smoke multiple times a day every day while I was doing dope at the same time. When I went to kick on my own, I found smoking weed to help me quite a bit. It helped relax that AWFUL pit of anxiety you get in your chest, and helped me sleep a bit more. That and handfuls of tylenol pm and lunesta.

But when I went through oxy w/ds, I hadn't been smoking every day and found it didn't really help me all that much. It just made my anxiety a bit worse and made me really paranoid. But, that's just my little nugget of input from my own personal experiences. Different things work for different people. But, overall, the usual immodium, neurontin if you have it, xanax, etc all work pretty good. Not as good as.....well, we all know where that thought process takes us.

man, for me? I take ibuprofen for the head pain (which does SHIT but it's more of a placebo thing than anything). I take my clonazepam or lorazepam for cravings-which works SLIGHTLY and helps me sleep more importantly through the sweating and crampings. Pot works obviously for many things-to get rid of stomach pains and yearnings to vomit. If you have pooping issues immodium, etc.

IMO : Ibuprofen, clonazepam, and weed.

I have been a pretty regular smoker of weed for the last couple of years. Unfortunately, the magic seems to be pretty much gone for me. I can only handle weed in smallish doses these days, and even just taking a hit can give me a little bit of anxiety.

Smoking weed while in withdrawal can sometimes just amplify the anxiety I feel. I also agree with what one BL'er said about weed causing blood pressure problems - I can get very lightheaded in withdrawal and weed just makes it worse.

I would imagine that if I had just discovered weed lately I would probably find it to be excellent for withdrawals, it used to put me in a fantastic mood and make everything more interesting. Over time though it has become less useful for me though.

I have unfortunately found that NOTHING really helps me, but I don't have access to any of the handy benzos or anything like that. I only have weed, alcohol (which is terrible IMO), and 1,4BDO (which is a very questionable substance to toy around with IMO). Out of all of them, the 1,4 BDO probably helps the most but after it wears off I usually feel much worse, especially if I went to sleep because I always wake up about 3 hours later with wicked insomnia.

Absolutely identical to me.

I used to cane the fuck out of weed, day in day out, for years. Until one day, when my mental health said to me "right, that's enough sweeping under the rug, have this...!" and I had a horrible panic attack with full blown hallucinations, paranoia (almost on par with delusionary paranoia - songs about me, stuff like that).
After that, I couldn't smoke a crumb anymore without flipping out.

Sometimes, with lots of Diazepam, I can smoke a bit and it helps a slight amount during withdrawal, but for me during withdrawal my small list of help is:

1. Tiny amounts of weed.

2. As many 5mg Diazepam as can be acquired.

3. 30mg Dihydrocodeines (as many as can be gained) or Codeine CWEs.

4. Diphenhydramine (though not too much as it can make RLS worse).

5. Prochlorperazine (only when feeling badly nauseous).

6. Buscopan / Hyoscine-N-Butylbromide (for stomach cramps).

7. Multi-Vit & Minerals tablets (with good food when eating's possible).

8. Many, many, many cups of sweet, milky tea (Rooibos at night due to no Caffeine content).

I think that's about it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
best opiate for withdrawal

Just wanted to add something that I have found to be one of the greatest aids from opiate withdrawal. I myself have been having problems with this for a while an have been been doses daily 30mg or more for about a month straight probably more by now. However when I went to my dr and asked to to try something else besides tramadol (low back injury herniated disk) he prescribed some I hadent heard of called neurontin which which help nerve pain and honest since i started taking it i have had no desire or craving what so ever no to take any opiates. I experienced no withdrawals at all I feel great im happy i can sleep and there really are none of the problems that we all know usually follow an abrupt stop in usage.

Two sucggestions I have been surprised not to see are:

1. Switching to kratom for a few weeks and then wean off that. The withdrawal from kratom is supposed to be milder than for opiates.

2. The use of ibogaine or iboga bark, if you can find or afford it. Even if taken in small daily doses these seem to help reduce withdrawal.

obviously, if you dont have any opiods theres no point, but if your coming off heroin and you have opiods, drink grapejuice 30 min before taking any percs, take robitussin 30 min before vicodin. also take xanax with them. It really helps, But xanax by itself also works wonders for getting off opiates. Probably the best thing to turn to if TOTALLY out of any kind of opiods. Xanax is definetly better to have then say codeine.

I read that Michael Jackson was put on a valium IV to get off addiction to opiods, maybe we dont have an IV at our disposal but i guess valium should work well

I'm also curious why you decided to go with a huge amount of wd meds as opposed to a very slow taper down to nothing.

Quote:
I used to cane the fuck out of weed, day in day out, for years. Until one day, when my mental health said to me "right, that's enough sweeping under the rug, have this...!" and I had a horrible panic attack with full blown hallucinations, paranoia (almost on par with delusionary paranoia - songs about me, stuff like that).

I have to say i went through a period of about 10 yrs. where i was unable to smoke at all due to similar problems. Now Im good again, thank god. Tho im pretty sure this was all brought on by a meth addiction I had at the time. Weed would trigger horrible thoughts and cycosis. I dont miss that at all. Hope it never returns. life without weed sucks indeed!
Also it depends on the weed...that makes a huge diff: potency, strain, etc. Not much better for W/D than some good ol' knockout/passout weed to help with sleep.