• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Best drugs to take during opiate withdrawal.

I think weed kicks any downer into high gear and helps take the mind off WD's... good for sleep too IME

my favorite OTC remedy for "The Sickness" is Loperamide, Valerian root, melatonin, B6, and low dosages of dxm (optional). weed also gives me some temporary relief while in w/d, gives me an appetite more then anything which in my opinion is the best thing during w/d, eating and staying hydrated is the most important thing along with exercise and staying active, the more experienced i have with detoxing the more i realize that w/d really isnt that bad with a little bit of will power, a plan of action, and the right drugs to ease the pain. I used to think kicking the smack was the hardest thing in the world, but after many years of fighting the battle i can do it standing on my head.

i love weed, but during withdrawels sends me psychotic....makes me feel like i'm going to be stuck in withdrawels forever, and doesnt even help me get to sleep....RLS drives me insane. Vallium is my saviour at night

Just wanted to add something that I have found to be one of the greatest aids from opiate withdrawal. I myself have been having problems with this for a while an have been been doses daily 30mg or more for about a month straight probably more by now. However when I went to my dr and asked to to try something else besides tramadol (low back injury herniated disk) he prescribed some I hadent heard of called neurontin which which help nerve pain and honest since i started taking it i have had no desire or craving what so ever no to take any opiates. I experienced no withdrawals at all I feel great im happy i can sleep and there really are none of the problems that we all know usually follow an abrupt stop in usage.

Neurontin is gabapentin which has been mentioned. Just a namebrand if you will.

I thought it was funny that someone gets RLS in their wrists. Anyone else pick up on that?

Passionflower tincture works pretty well in conjunction with other interventions- but you need a BIG bottle of it that you can only get online. It helped me with the Jimmy legs alot. I would dump about a small bottle worth into a glass, splash it with water and down it...repeat every hour/two hours as needed. I killed the bottle (about the size of a coke can) in three days.

Just make sure you dont eat anything rich in tyramine- Passionflower is a reversible MAOI and in large doses such as those mentioned above I would definetely be careful about what I eat/ingest. i.e. dont down four tincture bottles worth of passionflower extract and then drink kratom...

Theraflu that you make into a hot drink somewhat helped with my wd's, chasing it with a benzo ofcoarse. I had 2 1/2 years on subs and also tapered down to 1-2mg got the worst of it on days 3-5 tho

All I had for my kick was Imodium and Ibuprofen. I never thought I could do it without benzos, and I'll admit that access to some would have made it a bit easier, especially for sleep. I had gone through withdrawal many times, when I'd run out of my DOC, and always made sure I had Xanax on hand, but when I kicked for good, there just wasn't the possibility of obtaining any. (New town, new state, 1000 miles from any connections, and no medical insurance at the time to try and get my own.) Chamomile tea wound up being helpful, after the worst of it was over.

1- Nausea - promethazine aka phenergan
2- Pain/Axiety - Any Benzo - long acting prefably like Clonazapam
3- Muscle Aches - Clonidine Patch aka Catapress ; if cant afford, clonidine pills
4- Shitz - Immodium *Helps more then you'd think*
5- Excedrin or Naproxen Sodium aka Aleve for other pain
6- Weed maybe for hunger, but if you want to do it just pharmaceutical; the above have helped me more than i can count on my fingers and toes

My main problem is always the severe chills. I lay in bed for at least 4 days straight with a nitted hat on covered with a heating blanket. It sucks. As far as the marijuana goes, it only makes my anxiety 10 times worse during opiate withdrawal. Sure it might give me a more positive mental outlook, but it definetly increases the sneezing, watery eyes, and severe anxiety. Aside from the withdrawal aspect, I can't even smoke pot too much anymore without a benzo because it only increases my anxiety to a noticable level.

That would be me and if u do some searching u can read(if u can) that Restless Leg Syndrome is not only in the legs.

Snarky much?

Restless Legs Syndrome by definition does not include wrists, or even arms. There is a lot of potential for overlap between RLS and other fidgety-agitated type syndromes that can affects legs and other body parts (such as Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, or general anxiety).

Last edited by a moderator:
for me trazadone and seroquel induce RLS while clonidine never does. It's the opposite for my SO thou so everyone is different. Its good to take a smaller dose first. Its starts working in 30 minutes or so so u can always take more but if u take too much and get RLS they can last all night and can be pretty horrific. For me any dose of those drugs causes RLS in w/d but larger doses are sheer misery, definitely no sleep while feeling tired from the w/d and the medication. Its a good idea to be careful with these meds to not make the situation worse.

for me trazadone and seroquel induce RLS while clonidine never does. It's the opposite for my SO thou so everyone is different. Its good to take a smaller dose first. Its starts working in 30 minutes or so so u can always take more but if u take too much and get RLS they can last all night and can be pretty horrific.

Yeah trazadone and seroquel both have a side effect of RLS... im on 25mg zyprexa at night and it gives me RLS like crazy but I also take .3mg of clonidine with it along with valium so along with an array of other meds.. so they pretty much get rid of it for me.

This might be a little bit off-topic, but maybe we should start an "Opiate withdrawl" Mega-Thread? Seems to me that a large number of posts concern this topic.

the best thing i use for opiate and x comedown is just to smoke alot of bud, maybe drink a little. but then the downside to drinking is the hangover so really i just suggest to smoke alot of bud.it works for me.

I think weed kicks any downer into high gear and helps take the mind off WD's... good for sleep too IME

i agree. weed by itself seems to increase anxiety during withdrawal, however, if i dont smoke weed with xanax the xanax doesnt really fully 'kick in' for me

xanax and benzos, and if you have even a few opiate pills, stretch them out by taking benzos with them. trust me.

There's no real way out of opiate withdrawl. You're going to suffer one way or another unless you're medicating with opiates or opiate like substances. Methadone is wonderful, bupe is alright.

My advice, lots of alcohol, benzo, clonadine for hot/cold flashes, more benzos, entertainment like video games and what not. Lots of soup/tea/liquids/solids and lots of immodium. Tramadol sounds like a winner. I used to abuse the fuck out of it like 500mgs a minimum dose and I know how it works. Seems like it would be something good for opiate withdrawl. I'm still fighting an addiction and I have never been addicted to anything like heroin in my entire life before a year or two ago.

To me its the stomach aches, the restless leg syndrome, the veins pounding, muscles pounding with pain, the hot and cold flashes, the demon on my back SCREAMING to me BUY MORE DOPE YOU DONT HAVE TO SUFFER! the fucking lot of it makes me sick.

I do it though, again and again, and do you know why I do it? Because opiates make the world a whole lot bearable, enjoyable, numbing, wonderful, even tolerable. MDMA is the only other drug i've ever enjoyed this much. It's sickening what opiates do to you when you're not on them. You want to crawl out of your own skin, even put a bullet in you skull. I hate this drug but I love it.

Ibogaine sounds like the golden ticket out of this mess. I've watched/researched a lot about it. I think I can obtain it in pure pharmaceutical powder form on my own with out involving a clinic for the detox and pills and 5,000USD out of my bank. Any thoughts?