• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom and liver damage

Yea from my experience it?s really hard on my body. Also I spilt some on my carpet and have never been able to get the stain out after shampooing it with chemicals and everything. Think about constantly doing that to your insides.

I'm curious as to how you experienced an "achey" liver, when the liver contains no nerve fibers to transmit pain.

I think the liver can ache or feel sore sometimes which indicates possible damage, or enlargement as it pushes on the muscles surrounding it

I think the liver can ache or feel sore sometimes which indicates possible damage, or enlargement as it pushes on the muscles surrounding it

It's unusual to feel liver pain. If any pain at all is felt from liver damage, it's usually indirectly from a symptom caused by the liver issues. A lot of people never notice anything wrong until their liver is beginning to fail.

If you're worried about potential liver problems, you really need a blood test. It's the only way to accurately determine liver health before life-threatening damage has already occurred.

if you search ?mitragynine? and ?hepatotoxicity? you will find journal articles on the subject.

concerning liver pain, my most significant symptom was severe abdominal pain.

grape juice ruins carpet too, Legally High.

I haven't searched the literature on mitragynine recently, but last time I was looking up info on the liver stuff, the only toxicity study I found noted hepatotoxicity at doses that probably aren't physiologically relevant unless people are taking massive amounts of extracts.

You're in the minority if you had liver pain before your liver started to fail

Just trying to warn people. Take it as you wish. 100% it was the cUse. Maybe it was a bad batch. We have gone through Hell the last 2 weeks, and not sure when/if he will be ok. There?s always the 1% of people that have bad reactions.

No it wasn't some of what you linked were the Krypton Kratom cases where Kratom was tainted with O-Desmethyltramadol.

Those are mostly the cases on which Kratom's false-toxicity have been based.

They were bad contaminated batches from a crooked vendor in Sweden.

This seems to be a recurring theme:
Only a few papers report liver damages or hepatotoxic sequelae related to kratom use, and also in these cases, the authors highlighted the difficulties of a correlation between kratom consumption and hepatic injuries, which was more likely to be associated with the extraction process of the alkaloids or to the presence of contaminants in the herbal products .
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4849036/

i didn?t take krypton kratom. i can?t name the vendor but it?s a popular one. while it?s possible my batch was tainted by the extraction process, that doesn?t make a difference to me. though looking at it now, what i took isn?t described as an extract. looks like ground kratom. website claims no pesticides. they?re a top google result and well reviewed. but i think it?s person, not batch, specific.

anyway, i took kratom and suffered from acute hepatits in result. i?ve seen many reports of the same from people across the internet. kratom zealots can say ?no, must have been something else.? fine, that something else was sold as kratom by a popular kratom vendor.

if you get abdominal pain or any other symptom of liver damage while taking kratom, i?d stop taking kratom.

i didn?t take krypton kratom. i can?t name the vendor but it?s a popular one. while it?s possible my batch was tainted by the extraction process, that doesn?t make a difference to me. though looking at it now, what i took isn?t described as an extract. looks like ground kratom. website claims no pesticides. they?re a top google result and well reviewed. but i think it?s person, not batch, specific.

anyway, i took kratom and suffered from acute hepatits in result. i?ve seen many reports of the same from people across the internet. kratom zealots can say ?no, must have been something else.? fine, that something else was sold as kratom by a popular kratom vendor.

if you get abdominal pain or any other symptom of liver damage while taking kratom, i?d stop taking kratom.

I agree with you. I'm not trying to argue that kratom has no potential side effects. It definitely seems like there are certain people who are predisposed to hepatotoxicity from kratom. And the only reason why I stress that liver pain isn't usually felt from liver problems until they're life-threatening is so that people know there aren't always symptoms, so you really need to have blood work done to know how your liver is doing.

Are you doing okay now hydroazuanacaine?

if you search ?mitragynine? and ?hepatotoxicity? you will find journal articles on the subject.

concerning liver pain, my most significant symptom was severe abdominal pain.

grape juice ruins carpet too, Legally High.

Lol interesting point. I do find when I make my powder into an extract it feels waaay cleaner than the body load and less crappy feeling the next morning. Downside is it doesn?t last you as long.

I just want to know if anyone else had liver damage and itching, and how long it lasted until it got better. My BF is currently going through this and it’s absolute misery.

I'm curious as to how you experienced an "achey" liver, when the liver contains no nerve fibers to transmit pain.

I dont know, all i know is when i party really hard I can feel exactly where my liver is hurts..... or sometimes in my kidneys, and i usually will pee dark yellow and feel sort of sick until i take it easy a few days and then it goers away

Can anyone please reply about how long it took you to recover from the liver issues after you stopped?

Bolo2018

I have been using about 10 grams of Kratom a day for the last 2.5/3 months. I have been ordering Online and have been very satisfied. Recently I ran out and purchased some from my local head shop while I was awaiting the delivery of my order. The Kratom I bought from the head shop tasted a lot different than what I have been use to. This stuff was even a bigger pain in th ass than the arelready hard to mix Kratom I am use to. On about the end of the second day I fell violently ill with stomach cramps, diarrhea, ect. My abdomen swelled up a good bit and I ended up with some pretty big dark circles under each eye. Other symptoms I experienced were extreme itching on feet and ankles along with severe fatigue. My stomach has had a burning sensation since this all started and has only recently started to improve. Of course by this time my intuition was telling me that it was the Kratom I had. It has now been 3 days since I discontinued using the sketchy Kratom and I am slowly recovering. I am not arguing against Kratom in any manner. I am only warning people to be careful and try your best to get it from a replicable vendor. I know my body pretty well and this was a scary scenario.

Last edited:
^^ Hello Bolo, welcome to BL. Just as a heads up, I would advise you to remove the vendor name from your post, as sources are not permitted content. No major harm done, but you might as well hear it from me instead of a moderator :)

Bolo, the rest of this long ass rambling post isn't to you, this is just in general. I know this is an older thread, but it has survived this long, so I thought I would chime in with a few thoughts. (I will admit I have not read every post)

We all, throughout our lives, get some aches and pains, right? I'll use myself as an example. I used to be a heavy, heavy drinker about 10 years ago. During that time of my life, I would often wake up and think to myself "mother fuck, my liver hurts right now". And there were, indeed, pains in that general area of my body. However, as user This Won't Hurt eloquently stated earlier, there are no nerves in the liver to transmit pain (although I didn't know that at the time). What caused those pains? I don't really know. Just cramps? Did I sleep wrong? I honestly don't know. The pains and aches were real. Was it related to the liver in any indirect way, or related to my copious consumption of alcohol? I'm not sure.

All of us get gastrointestinal issues at times too, right? Even when we were kids, before our first drug usage, we all got the shits from time to time, right?

Some of us get itchy at times. Histamine reactions or some shit. Allergies. Various reasons.

My overall point is, our bodies act weird, and aren't predictable. And maybe not everyone else is similar, and maybe it's because I'm getting old, but my body acts a little fucked up, in new fucked up ways all the time. Hell, I'm sober now, and it still happens. My body does some new, weird, fucked up shit all the time.

When we do something like take a new brand of kratom, and something weird happens, it's only natural to try and correlate the two. And I understand that, it's kind of natural human instinct right?

But when I think about it...most kratom vendors are actually trying to make money. That's why they're in business, and pay marketing costs, and all that shit. It's not cheap, to set up even a basic operation. And these vendors want some return on investment. And that makes me think there would be some basic levels of quality control and they aren't peddling absolute shit. Do I know any of this as fact? Nope, it's just me thinking through some shit. And I'm absolutely sure there are examples and stories that are contrary to what I just said. But I think those stories are the exception, and not the rule.

And, also, head shops aren't buying kratom out of a car trunk in an alley in the bad side of town.

I'm not saying people make shit up, and I'm DEFINITELY not trying to insult the intelligence of anyone who's posted in this thread. But as I get older, I just wonder if our bodies act fucked up a lot, and whenever we do something out of ordinary, like try some brand new kratom, we notice those fucked up things about our body more and try and correlate the two.

Obviously, this is not always the case. Some are obvious. Like a 2 day coke binge and irritated nasal cavities... those are two things I would reasonably say are related, lol. But I wouldn't jump to liver damage from a new brand of kratom.

Last edited:
FWIW I had blood work done about 6 months after I started using kratom almost every day, and everything was normal. Doesn't mean it's safe for everyone, but I agree that it definitely seems to be a minority of people who have major problems associated with it

Last edited:
I just got my liver test results back yesterday...

everything is fine. A couple things barely out of range but for the most part, all where they should be.

I've been using a half oz every day for over a month now.

I agree with the previous poster.. doesnt mean its safe for everyone - but it seems to be safe for most people.

Kratom Can Cause Liver Failure

1/04/2011: I took 2.5 Grams of the 10x Kratom extract
That evening I experienced abdominal pain which I foolishly wrote off as gas pains.

1/04/2011 - 1/18/2011: Experienced what I later found out where symptoms of Jaundice. I kept expecting these symtoms to fade away but they didn't.

1/19/2011: Checked into the hospital and was diagnosed as having Liver Failure.

Went through a battery of tests including a liver biopsy at with one of the best Dr's in the country. He determined I had Drug Induced Choleostasis.

2/27/2011: Still recovering, probably have another 2 months until I am back to normal.

Could have been a bad batch of Kratom or that I was allergic but I can say for sure that the last 2 months have been a living hell: Debiliating Nausea, itching,yellow skin/eyes, vitamin defecient, can only vegetables.

I hope this post helps someone.

I just got out of the hospital and had the same thing happen to me. They had trouble diagnosing me. This board helped.

Here is a related study on 'drug induced cholestasis': https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3089004/.

My take: just like some people are allergic to peanuts, some people are allergic to kratom. The effects for me are simply awful. It's going to take me weeks to (hopefully) recover.

The summary: took kratom on Friday afternoon, woke up in middle of night on Saturday with stomach pains, couldn't move all day Saturday, felt better on Sunday, got walloped on Monday and landed in hospital on Tuesday. The symptoms run somewhere between liver failure and jaundice. And they're disgusting and scary.

I'm embarrassed to admit the exact same thing happened to me 8 years ago, but I wrote it off as a "bad batch" and tried again last week. I'm going to be paying for it for awhile.

Good luck to everyone.