Quitting cannabis - survey

sera20

Greenlighter
Hi there. My name is Sally, and I am a researcher at the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre (NCPIC). The centre is currently conducting an online survey looking at the demographics and strategies of people who are able to quit using cannabis compared with those who want to quit, but are struggling to do so. From this, we hope to be able to develop treatments that employ the most effective strategies and are more strongly oriented toward people who find it the most difficult to quit. If anyone can assist with this research, it would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for people who smoked cannabis regularly (more than once a week) for at least a year, but haven't used any cannabis in the last year OR people who currently smoke cannabis more than once a week and have made at least one unsuccessful attempt to quit. If you live in Australia, we will send you a $20 gift voucher as compensation for your time. If you are 18 or older and have access to the Internet, please contact Sally or Desiree on [email protected]

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this message.

Best wishes,
Sally

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sally,

I imagine it would be hard to reach such a specific group of people. Are you only interested in Australians? Is there any reason why you aren't advertising the survey URL directly? For some people, I imagine the hassle of actually emailing to get the link would put them off and may make it even harder for you to successfully recruit people.

Still, cannabis is the most used illicit drug in Australia so one would think there would be enough people out there who could contribute some insights about quitting.

Wow Sally, I just looked at your other thread in Cannabis Discussion.

It's certainly true that a focus on 'prevention' and/or 'treatment' gets many drug users who perceive their use as purely recreational irrate. And it shows how much people look at the title of institutes we researchers work from. I think the ill-fated title of "National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre" was perhaps better designed for policy-makers and researchers, rather than for engendering trust from cannabis users.

Hopefully you will get some more respectful discussion in this thread. Nevertheless, there is a lesson here about what drug forum users care about when it comes to research studies - and how they might be better tailored to attract them.

I've shot off an email.
I think any research into illicit drugs is a good thing as long as it is well done and the results are freely available.

I'm certainly in agreeance with Tronica though, I have no desire to "Prevent" cannabis use but a very strong interest in more information on it.

It is a drug I have a love hate relationship with and at the moment I'm glad to not be using it. At other times I could credit it with preventing me from harm to myself and others.
I don't believe any drug is good or bad but as someone who has many difficulties trying to cease use of cannabis I am very interested in more research on the subject.

I just pray (not really I'm not a praying type of guy) that this information isn't to be used to back up some horrible misinformation into the evils of cannabis for politicians to make destructive laws.

No weed for me please

I just keep taking my anxiety meds and I dont feel the need to smoke anymore... I was self -medicating tho...8) I'm now on about 3 medications... but I still use The bomb here and there so I cant say I'm compleatly sober... BUT I dont smoke anymore and thats the point.... (I would smoke 24/7... high allday ..so its a big deal for me)=D

^ It might be easy for you, but it's not easy for everyone.
It might be easier than quitting cigarettes, but breaking one leg is less painful than breaking two legs. Does that mean it's easy or painless?
Let's not say anything that could be interpreted as making light of the struggle to quit cannabis, okay?
It can be difficult physically and psychologically.
For more information about some people's struggles to quit (and some snotty posts that remind me of the one by ringfinger above), see http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=448920.

It would do people well to remember that all drugs can be used in all ways (in my opinion). Which is why it's important for people to be doing this kind of research.

We know cannabis use can be harmful and it can be difficult to quit - although it may have a reputation as being a soft drug, it all depends on the individual, how it is used and how it fits into the rest of their life.

Thinking across experiences I know about, I can think of people who felt very much that they depended on smoking weed and - when they tried to cut down and to quit - needed a lot of assistance. I also know others who are very happy to continue smoking, daily after their workday, who feel no need to quit or change their habits. I'm sure there is a greater variety of experiences represented by the people who post across this board, too.

I went to south america and got on the coke for ten months, that worked until I got home again. Didn't smoke fuck all weed but had a raging coke habit when I got back

I went to south america and got on the coke for ten months, that worked until I got home again. Didn't smoke fuck all weed but had a raging coke habit when I got back

It's probably the best way to quit weed, it's so simple.

I smoked alot of pot (got in a situation with easy unlimited access) for about five years straight untill I got busted for said situation.

At which point I quit cold turkey for one year, the duration of my piss tests.

By the way, If i knew I wasn't going to have a piss test that month, or no meeting, or I knew I could trick the test. Your damn right, but the first 8 months no such luck.

How did I quit? cold turkey, substitution of harder more harmful drugs that clear your system quicker.

At any rate if your locked in some kind of battle against cannabis, do us all a favor and don't. (I don't think thats the case, you wouldn't bother to ask us if it was)

I am concerned that drug testing laws are driving people to substitute cannabis with cocaine and other drugs. Officials put these laws in place with the purpose of stopping people from using cannabis, for example, but they don't consider the unintended consequences of that law upon people who are still hoping to enjoy altered states of consciousness...

just to stop and try not to think about it if u try 2 slow it down u r just going 2 keep smoking

When i need to pass a drug test or what not or just need a break from the whacky tobaccy then u just have to go "out of sight, out of mind". If theres no bong or weeed related objects in ur house, then the thought of smoking is less inclined, However it can still be hard especially when ur at a mates house who offers u some, i do however like bit pattern's method, sounds very healthy and what not

There is no physical addiction attached to marijuana, only psychological addiction (Correct me if im wrong)
Set a goal, and go cold turkey
The first few nights i have found it might be hard to sleep, get some sleeping pills if your desperate
Instead of staying home with your mates for a night of bong smoking, head out for a few drinks. You can’t smoke pot at a bar (Not in this country anyway)

Cigarettes are a completely different story

I agree with the last post, get away from the weed (stay at your grandmas if need be ;) ) and yes the insomnia sucks, but i just had a small amount of xanax for 2-3 nights and then i was actually ok.

By the way this was after a serious cannabis addiction, smoking most of the day for several years. Its all in the head imo

Dont think about how to quit, you just have to do it. I spent years thinking 'how do i quit', 'i cant do it' but when i just tried, it was actually not that bad. It was a big relief to not be addicted to anything anymore.

But thats me