Quitting cannabis - survey

And good that the article is open access too!

Hi sally,
I tried to email you but the email address you provided (according to google) doesn't exist. Please PM with another email address i can send my assistance to!

Hi rizmatter - this study has already been published! Thanks for trying to help out but it's a bit late for this one ;)

I'm sorry, but I must reitterate...I love weed. I do not understand why alcohol & tobacco are perfectly legal, killing hundreds of thousands of people annually...yet a plant that (exclusively) has never killed 1 person, is on the same par as heroin in the law books (both are Schedule I) & cocaine is a Schedule II.
So, a drug that's really harmful for a person might lead to a drug that is harmless physically?8(...whoa!:?

Haha oh dear. Need to pay closer attention to when posts were published lol. Practically wrote an essay!

Quitting grass was very difficult for me. Smoked pretty heavily for about 25 years and quit cold turkey. Won't get into the reasons. I suffered acutly. Anxiety, loss of appetite, insomnia, eventually melancholic depression. Ended up hospitalized with suicidal thoughts. took about a month to get balanced. Have not smoked in over 8 months and don't think I ever will again. Different for everyone. Really kicked my butt, but I know I was atypical and most quit it easy.

I am on opioids now for over three years (Tramadol, and Morphin mostly, which I now get in a substitutions program, and a bit of Heroin) and I feel, well almost normal, except for the physical dependence. Why am I telling you this here, b/c I was smoking weed too, for years, on a regular basis (1-3 times per day), some 15 years ago. More precisely I was smoking it for three years, year and a half on a daily basis, and in this three years it fucked me so bad (and no it is not only me. Everyone I knew, who was/is using in on a daily basis ), that I can only laugh out people who consider it a 'light drug' (This light and heavy drugs classification is wrong and sick IMO.). This three years of cannabis consumption made an intellectual, emotional retard, physically disabled person out of me. I think I needed more than a year to two years to recover, depending on 'area' (for example to be able to speak normal without forgetting in the middle of the sentence what I was talking about, it took me more than a year. Physically recovery happened much faster, but I was quite sporty, also during my first year of cannabis consumption.).
Cold turkey was ok, despite I was always smoking tobacco with it. The problem was the addiction (not physical dependence, the psychical one). I was thinking about it all the time, but at the same time, I actually stopped feeling joy and pleasure while smoking it, and this helped a lot. It was more like a super strong habit made of that silly rituals like going to walk (oh later we/I would just get out and sit on the first free bench.), getting Rizla out of pocket, rolling joints (smoking was just a part of it) that the addiction was made of.
Anyway I feel the cannabis addiction was much worse in my case, than the one from opiates / opioids. This is probably due to the reason I was using opioids more like a medicine. In the last time mostly for pain relief, and that is how dependence happened.
At the beginning, shortly after my cannabis issue, and depression probably caused by it I have started taking Tramadol sometimes. I was taking it sporadically, because I considered it like a poison, and the obstipation was quite bad in my case, which was good acually. I stopped using drugs for 13-14 years, except 'regular' pain killers which 'destroyed' my immune system quite badly. Only after doing some research on the topic pain killers, their consequences etc. and not until I found out that the opioids/opiates are the ones with the less serious side effects I started the f* 'journey', because I snapped...

Sorry for mentioning lot of unrelated things to the topic. If you want me I can edit this, or admin can anyway delete/move it, according what he thinks is the appropriate action.

Forgot to mention the method, which could work, at least with some people. Just give them all the weed they can smoke : ). and let them do so for a while. Especially encourage them to start smoking early, after breakfast. In my experience starting so early will bring one no joy, only tiredness, and bad mood. Later if one lights up at the evening (Smoking during day would not help, at least it didn't in my case, and of some few people I knew, who did the same.), this can help one a bit.
On the other side, we want to help people quit, so just avoid lighting up at evening/night, and continue with morning consumption. With the time they will start hating it, and will eventually stop. This could maybe have some permanent consequences, but... : ) Ok, I am not so serious about this. I think it could really work, but the price could be to high.

On the other side, It worked for me, as I already mentioned, and I am 'clean' for fourteen - fifteen years. And still when I think about weed I feel sick. Even if I think about first experiences, which were very crazy pleasant, and euphoric (I cannot compare the euphoria I felt then with anything else. I think this had, at least partly, to do with puberty, and me being very sporty, a kind of testosterone monster.) I feel bad about it, and there is not even a little desire left in my to even think about it to try it again (I could get it quite easy.). For me it belongs in the same category with glues and other brain melting shit together. I have no doubt, smoking weed on a daily basis, especially if more than once per day, will make an idiot out of average men.

1 more thing....I think anyone 21+ yrs of age should have the option to use any substance they prefer. Hasn't the federal government learned anything from the Prohibition Act of 1919?
People will always want their vices...& will find them however possible. Why not legalize it, tax it, & do away with the street corner thugs who are making a lotta $$$? Street gang revenue would plummett & the feds would be making THEIR $$$!! It's a win/win situation.

That at in my opinion would decrease criminality significantly.

I smoked every day for about 2 years then had to quit for 12 months because of probation. I didnt have a hard time stopping. I didn't like not being able to smoke, but i wasn't physically or mentally hurt at all.
I would compare it to someone who loves football and then gets injured and cant play for awhile. You WANT to play, but know its best not to risk it so you just stick it out.

That at in my opinion would decrease criminality significantly.

Thanks...I think the Drug War is completely unwinnable. They're just throwing good $$$ after bad. Why not sell it to people 21+ yrs of age...tax it...& take away the criminal's revenue?

It seems like they haven't learned a thing from the failed Prohibition Act of 1919. All that did was make $$$ for bootleggers / Organized Crime & the feds could've been making a fortune with legalized drugs. Alcohol & tobacco kill more people on an annual basis than every drug combined. What is the big mystery? It's a simple fact that people will always want their substances & will either get it from the street corner thug or could buy it from the feds at a taxable price.
I guarantee if every drug was legalized, people wouldn't be running to the store for crack. Give society some credit for common sense.

I think quitting pot is fairly simple. I smoke every day, but there was a time whee i had to quit for 7 months due to probation, i really didnt have a problem. I cant deny that there were times where my friends would smoke in front of me and i wanted to hit it (but didnt), but its more of a mindset thing. if youre quitting because you have to (like in my scenario) then its alot easier then someone with sheer will.