Quitting cannabis - survey

I agree with what the majority consensus is here. Just go cold turkey.

I recently quit and have been a chronic smoker-of at least 5 grams daily-for about the last 7 years. One day I decided I wanted to give it up, maybe not forever, but for now. The first four days were the most difficult not to think about it, since it was mainly routine. The first three days I found my rest wasn't as deep as usual. After that, everything was fine and I didn't think about it at all. I've been clean for the past four months. So I the point of my post is cold turkey worked best for me, give it a try if you're looking to quit.

Peace and love.

I agree with the last post, get away from the weed (stay at your grandmas if need be ;) ) and yes the insomnia sucks, but i just had a small amount of xanax for 2-3 nights and then i was actually ok.

By the way this was after a serious cannabis addiction, smoking most of the day for several years. Its all in the head imo

Dont think about how to quit, you just have to do it. I spent years thinking 'how do i quit', 'i cant do it' but when i just tried, it was actually not that bad. It was a big relief to not be addicted to anything anymore.

But thats me

I use phenergan as a non-addictive sleep aid, works well.

There is no physical addiction attached to marijuana, only psychological addiction (Correct me if im wrong)

I get sweats, I consider them to be physical withdrawal symptoms.

As a former daily user, my smoking "habit" consisted of use, multiple times a day, everyday for several years. If I had to recall, I'd say I used everyday for 7 years. I decided after 7 years that I wanted to join the military, so I quit. and it was as simple as making the decision to do so. No withdrawl, no other symptoms. I just walked away form it. It was the same as if i had decided to quit chewing gum. I was clean for two years before I actually joined the service and for ten years while in the service.

I would say that the effects are individual, some people who have a problem with kicking smoking pot would have a harder time kicking anything they deem to be detrimental to themselves. Some have a hard time kicking caffiene, others cigarettes. I suppose some would have a harder time than others with marijuana.

Its harder to quit smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee than it is weed. People with a true mental addiction to it will find it the hardest. One thing about quitting weed that is unlikeany other drug withdrawl- you feel BETTER instead of like SHIT when you quit.

Feel free to continue the conversation here, but I'd just like to remind everyone that if you want to be involved in the research project and you are eligible, send off an email to Sally as per the original post. (I have also just contacted her to see whether the study is still open and will report back here when I know.)

Sally tells me they are still looking for participants so send her an email if you are interested.

Hello,

My name is Sally, and I am a researcher at the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre. We are conducting an online survey looking at the characteristics and strategies of people who are able to quit using cannabis compared with those who want to quit, but are struggling to do so. From this, we hope to be able to develop treatments that employ the most effective strategies and are more strongly oriented toward people who find it the most difficult to quit. If anyone can assist with this research, it would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for people who smoked cannabis regularly (more than once a week) for at least a year, but haven't used any cannabis in the last year OR people who currently smoke cannabis more than once a week and have made at least one unsuccessful attempt to quit. As compensation for your time, we will send you a $20 gift voucher. If you are 18 or older and might be able to help, please access the survey directly by logging on to
https://www.surveys.unsw.edu.au/survey/154425/1151

Thanks,
Sally

It felt soooo good to stop smoking weed! That's coming from a 7 year dealing smoking a shit load cannabis smoker (me). I am not depressed or bored like i thought i would be! My head feels like its submerged from the clouds into a beautiful blue sky!

Quitting weed is rather easy I say, it's staying sober, that's the hard part. I've read it takes about 21 days to make or break a habit, so try not smokin for 21 days. You just have to break the cycle. Anyway it's not like it has physical WD anyway.

I used to smoke 24/7 and than my ass got sent to rehab (it was in high school so don't laugh cause i went to rehab for weed). It was a bit hard at first but than i got used to being sober and to tell u the truth, I really didn't crave it that much. Now I smoke from time to time.

Content deleted. Constructive criticism and comment is encouraged here, but abuse is unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
its weed, we aint talking about heroin, stop the blunt toking and hit the gym, get friends, start a book, get a girl friend, find something out.

Hey sorry that you couldn't access the survey. We had some technical problems, but these have been resolved now, so your assistance would still be very much appreciated! Here is the link to the survey: https://www.surveys.unsw.edu.au/survey/154425/1151

Kayenta, this research doesn't focus on cannabis prevention; it's aimed at getting info that will assist people who want to stop, rather than trying to persuade people to quit.

Cheers,
Sally

I agree w/ Old Man Legit. It feels friggin amazing to quit, once you build up the momentum. It's not easy, depending on your level of mental dependency, but I experienced irritability, lack of appetite, hyperactivity, increased senses of taste and smell, mild cravings, and insomnia the first couple days, as well as some freaky ass dreams, usually involving the delusion of me smokin herb and then waking up to the unsatisfactory realization that I really didn't just chief 6 fatty bowls through the bong, shared with an angel that I could swear I had previously seen a statue of on the Latter-Day Saints website. And if drug wasn't in the scene of my dream, I typically had nightmares bout something going wrong at one of the institutes that contributes to the bulk of my stress, such as having an extremely busy day at the Krusty Krab, receiving no help from my dipshitted coworkers, who can't tell the difference between sour dough and wheat bread, contributing to me falling further behind and waking up to feel stressed out.

But anywho! It's not as easy as some people may make it seem like.. Some people, such as myself become extremely dependent on the substance, even if it doesn't provide the most enjoyable experience. I smoked pretty much constantly through high school.. Before school, inbetween classes, at lunch, after school up until I passed out w/ a mountain of food accumulated from all the junk food that I had consumed.

What gave me the drive to quit was a thinking session that I had one night.. I was asking myself all kinds of questions such as "What could I be buying to help out my financially disadvantaged family if I weren't selfishly spending it getting baked?", "Had I not been baked out of my gord, would I have remember to buy my GF a bday present, my bro an anniversary gift, my mother a few flowers for mother's day..", "Would I have been more productive at my previous job had I not been noticeably baked 90% of the time?", "Would I be at an average weight in the present, had I not lost my appetite after kicking Mary Jane to the curb?".

Quittin ain't always easy for us who used the substance just about all day, about every day, using it as a crutch to help us remain entertained, calm, social, whatever. Anywho, it takes lots of self-control. It's not physically addictive though, so you wont be fatally miserable. Suck up the boredom, you were able to handle it when you were baked out of your gord, now you just have the concentration to do something productive. The cravings will pass, guaranfrigginteed. In fact, after awhile, you start to realize how much easier, if not more enjoyable several tasks are w/o a cloud of smoke in front of your face. Your diet will likely get back on a normal rate, you'll have a better sense of concentration, etc.

In conclusion, this goes out to all the habitual, daily, if not constant pot smokers. Life gets so much better w/o it, and you learn an extremely valuable lesson in self-control.

BTW: I don't care if you disagree, can afford to smoke bud constantly, managed to get your PHD while blazed 24/7, etc.. Good for you, I give you props for beating the odds. Peace, I'm out.

This offer is only availible to austrailian residents "say so in the fine print"

@dice101 - what that means is that the survey is open to all people, but the offer of a voucher is available only to Australians (it's an Australian store).

Just decided to stop when I was 19. It was easy because none of the friends I had at the time smoked weed, if people around me were doing it I imagine it would have been a different story.

I have a choice.... Benzo's from a doctor that are really addictive and harmful....or smoke natural green plant to relieve my anxiety... i choose the green plant...

what would your choice be?