So Much EDM - How do you cope?

Sykik

Bluelight Crew
Hey BL,

There is so much EDM, so many great genres, so many great artists, so many great labels, so much influx. This is not a thread about dealing with all the sub par tracks, but dealing with all the great releases. I have trouble jugling my love of EDM with other aspects of my life, be it my phD or my GF or my gaming adiction.

So how do you cope, I have some questions:

1. How many genre's do you follow?
  2. How much time do you spend listening to EDM you own?
  3. How much time do you spend looking for new music?
  4. How on earth do you follow 3 genre's at once, or try to spend time to find a love for a new genre?

Me, I spend about an hr a day listening to EDM I own, and think about how I would mix it. I don't practise mixing enough. I try to browse for new EDM once or tiwce a week for about 45min each time. Trying to get into a sound you like, but no nothing about, for me it's dark techno/dnb/trance I have no idea where i'm going to get the time to find music in such a place.

So fellow EDM addicts, how do you cope?

interesting topic, i look forward to responses.

How many genre's do you follow? dnb and mnml mainly.
How much time do you spend listening to EDM you own? 3-4 hours per day on average, few more hours of non edm tho.
How much time do you spend looking for new music? around an hour every day
How on earth do you follow 3 genre's at once, or try to spend time to find a love for a new genre? i think if u frequent a few websites dedicated to a certain genre, like forums, blogs, and web stores its not that hard to stay on top of things.
Trying to get into a sound you like, but no nothing about, for me it's dark techno/dnb/trance I have no idea where i'm going to get the time to find music in such a place.
www.discogs.com is a good resource. if u find an artist u like find out what label released the track and who/what else they released and search for it on web stores, www.last.fm or even youtube to preview.

How many genre's do you follow? I don't actively follow one particular genre although I have my preferences for IDM, dubstep, electro, IDM, downtemp, and even some breakbeat. I like most thinks glitchy and don't care for most things psy or ambient. I do follow specific artists and the local venues that support EDM to try to keep current.

How much time do you spend listening to EDM you own? I listen to most EDM in the car or while at work. It's normally DJ mixes in the car and individual tracks at work.

How much time do you spend looking for new music? It finds me. I surround myself with music so whether its reading a zine, talking to someone about their projects, likes, and dislikes, rating a track, or listening to tracks that people send me I never really have to look for new music.

How on earth do you follow 3 genre's at once, or try to spend time to find a love for a new genre? label mailing lists, live shows, never turning off the music while at home, reading album reviews..

These days I spend more time making music than listening to it though. I might listen to 1.5 hours of music throughout a day but spend 2-3 hours working on a track.

1. How many genre's do you follow?
Don't really follow genres but rather i follow labels and producers. I prefer all thing techno and house but really the only genres i don't listen to is Psy/Electrohouse/Dubstep/*core

2. How much time do you spend listening to EDM you own?
not much lately but ideally i like to get in 3-4 hours a day on my DAP/home system

3. How much time do you spend looking for new music?
again not much lately, but ideally, hours per day.

4. How on earth do you follow 3 genre's at once, or try to spend time to find a love for a new genre?
I don't watch much TV. :)

How many genre's do you follow?
Mainly follow: Dubstep, D'n'B, Minimal (3)
Follow, but not as much as the ones above: House (tribal/fidget), Glitch/Wobble, Electro (~5)

How much time do you spend listening to EDM you own?
Hours, and hours, and hours, and hours, and hours
more than 8 hours a day I'd say. (I listen to it as I work, and do class work)
Its basically all I listen to, with the occasional listen to some NEM

How much time do you spend looking for new music?
I don't think I can put a time frame on this. I look for new music every day though. If I have a lot of downtime i'll head over to the record store for 1-2 hours, or ill go on massive spree's on the internet which can take up to 4 hours.

How on earth do you follow 3 genre's at once, or try to spend time to find a love for a new genre?
How on earth do you follow 3 genre's at once?: My music flows. Ill go a week or two listening to only dubstep, and then ill get a tune stuck in my head and it'll move onto D'n'B for a week or two, then ill get another tune stuck in my head and it'll move onto minimal, or house, or glitch, or whatever genre song gets stuck in my head. I also have neat little playlists on my Ipod for each genre that I like. Inside the playlist the songs are arranged in a flowing sort of way, (i.e. the songs are set up in a way that each song can feel comfortable leading into the next), and often that'll bleed into a different sounding genre which brings me to actually listening to the next genre. Once i'm listening to the next genre I tend to dive into it and look for new tunes.

How on earth do you try to spend time to find a love for a new genre?:
Downtime. If I head into the record store and I cant find anything that tickles my fancy i'll ask around to see what's good. Ill also call up friends, see what they're into. Youtube has become my best friend when searching for new music. If i hear a song that i like at a rave, festival, party, or a friends car/house/etc, ill look it up on youtube and see if/how i can dive into the genre.

In short, music. is. my. life.
I'd rather listen to tunes than watch a movie or TV, and you'll never catch me without my ipod on full basting =D

House, DnB, Psy, Goa, Techno, Trip pop, Psybient, Downtempo

4 to 5 hours a day.

Not that much, but it really doesn't take me that long to discover new music. My friends are always introducing me to new tunes. I'm always looking as well.

How on earth do you follow 3 genre's at once, or try to spend time to find a love for a new genre?
Having lots of free time on the weekends. It's incredibily easy to find new Psy tunes. The others not so much. I visit undergroundhouse.net for most of my house stuff. I've been looking through the drum and bass thread cause I've been out of the loop for a while. Psybient is kind of hard though cause there seems to be not enough out there but I might just not be looking in the right places.

Techno, breaks

there is always music on

Interesting question. I am always looking for new music even if I am not actively searching for it. I get inspired by the weirdest things, and will sometimes have to sit down and sketch out a little tune on my laptop. I woudl say I spend an hour or so a day looking for music online, but this has started to drop as I am too busy with school to DJ as much as I would like.

1. Beatport

I have a huge list of artists and labels in my profile that notifies me when they have new releases. Also, I will often hit the charts and the top 10 lists of most genres. While it is EXTREMELY rare that I actually find tracks I like in the top 10 lists or in a chart (it's weird, but even my favourite DJs usually have brutal charts), I will often hear an artist who sounds like he "gets it" and then will go check him out. Then if I find tracks of his that I like, I will check the label for more stuff, or if there is a remixer of a track I like, I will check that guy out. Rinse, repeat. This can carry on for hours and hours.

I sometimes just browse new releases, but this is tedious. Especially with techno, since I have extremely specific taste, and there is a ton of crap that gets released.

2. Livesets.com

This website is a kickass resource for track IDs (although I have been disappointed lately). I download like 300 DJ sets, skip through them in 2 minute intervals to see if anything catches my attention. If a couple of tracks do, the set will go on the mp3 player and might get a full listen. I will then take clips of the tracks I like and post them on livesets to see if anyone can ID them. Sometimes (rarely) google will turn up a tracklisting too, but these are often hopelessly inaccurate.

3. Shows

I have absolutely no problem going up and asking a DJ for an ID during a set. 9 times out of 10, they are more than happy to comply. The odd time it pisses them off, and I find this completely retarded. It's not like they wrote the track, and if they did, chances are they would be more than happy to tell you. Get over yourself. You are playing other people's music, and you can take 10 seconds to tell someone the name of a song. People bug me for IDs all the time, and I am always more than happy to oblige. I figure there are two options: 1. I really enjoy this track at a club and then never hear it again or 2. I really enjoy this track at a club, bug the DJ for 10 seconds for an ID, and then get another stomper to add to the collection.

How many genre's do you follow? 2 (Electro and jungle)
How much time do you spend listening to EDM you own? minimum of 2 hours a day.
How much time do you spend looking for new music? minimum hour
I started out listening to hard house and tech house 10 years ago. Quickly progressed to jungle and I focused on nothing but jungle for 5 full years. About 2 years ago I picked up electro and follow about 10 different blogs and hunt down tracks I see on track lists I really like.

Now thanks for the answers here EDM people, I was hoping that my questions would just inspire responses over a set of answered questions. I really need to just spend more time doing it. I fucking hate juggling things, and my love for EDM is one of things that sometimes gets placed on the side lines.

How do you guys come with an EDM break, and then trying to get back on top of it again.

i mainly follow goa trance and psytrance plus their respective downtempo variants. so most dedicated psy forums cover the whole spectrum of what i follow. i still spend about an hour a day searching for and discussing the music on the net.
i listen to edm whenever at home or driving, so something like about 10 hours a day. i'm addicted :)

EDM break
are you serious? that sounds like torture!

It's not a complete break, more like just about 30min's a day listening to stuff I have. :'(

Recently I've been really into Drum & Bass, but I also listen to a lot of Trance, Dub, Psytrance, Ambient and house. I was really into Psytrance a couple of years ago, but now I only occasionally get new psytrance albums.

I listen to a lot of EDM and a decent amount of non-EDM. My Last.fm page says I have listened to 62K tracks since May 2006 and this doesn't include music listened to on my DAP. So hopefully I get at least several hours of EDM every day.

How do I manage? Well I spend more time than I should looking for new music (I should be using that time to study). Like many other have said, you just need to visit certain sites that focus on a particular genre to get the latest and greatest.

Basically, music is my life! :D

I will freely admit that I am an electronic music addict, of a kind.

Music is my drug of choice. Music can stimulate, inspire, calm, soothe, and even sedate me.

I indulge myself quite often, but I do take long breaks.

I've gone days and sometimes weeks without electronic music. But, I almost always hunger for that feeling that only the beautification of the beat can provide.

I don't follow any one genre, as I've been listening to electronica for a couple of decades.

I usually shop for music online nowadays, and I often follow my daily whims. My tastes span many genres, sub-genres, styles, and time periods.

<3