• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Pills circa 19xx Get all your pill nostalgia discussion done here

Exactly you could feel the change in the high they gave - it was still mdma but different somehow. Then the 2000's arrived and along came piperazine and spoilt the game forever.

Oh I had those "Rhubarb n Custards" capsules mentioned earlier and they were great fun - so were the dennis the menaces, green goddess, silver bullet etc caps that came after them :D.

My first pill didnt have a logo on it - they were just called "Ecstasy" nobody called them "E" or "Pills" for a while

All true. I was there.

Bit about ecstasy becoming "E" becoming "pills" is true too. Also coincided with stages of popularity and concurrent stages of 'worsening' of mdma. In my old, humble, boring opinion.

No-one can tell an old pill head that the recipe, or something, didn't change. We didn't all gain the same magical tolerance at exactly the same time (after yeeeeaaaarrrsssssss of that not happening).

I understand. I just can't figure out how there can be different end products of MDMA synth. I will take your word for it, though. A lot of people are saying the same thing.

I understand. I just can't figure out how there can be different end products of MDMA synth. I will take your word for it, though. A lot of people are saying the same thing.

Chemically I cant understand it - maybe those that started around the same time got 'used' to it around the same time. Not in tolerance but - it was no longer new or as exciting?

Guessing though!

No, there was definitely a change in the substance. When we had good pills we took 1 or 2 and danced all night. When the bad pills came we'd bosh 4 or 5 at a time thinking they were just weaker, but something was missing. They had an effect but it was different. For a while people were saying it was mda or mdea, but it wasn't.

All true. I was there.

Bit about ecstasy becoming "E" becoming "pills" is true too. Also coincided with stages of popularity and concurrent stages of 'worsening' of mdma. In my old, humble, boring opinion.

No-one can tell an old pill head that the recipe, or something, didn't change. We didn't all gain the same magical tolerance at exactly the same time (after yeeeeaaaarrrsssssss of that not happening).

I reckon it was around 95/96 that this started happening?

Then Mitzi's came along and seemed to revitalise things (but I was on the other side of the world for a few years and didn't see a Mitzi over there at all).

I understand.

Bless yer. :)

Also GLASTO 95 THAT WAS THE VERY FIRST TIME I SAW AND HAD A PLAYBOY STAMPED PILL

Your typing is chaotic but I love you for this. Exactly right time, May/June 95. I had 100, can't think why. They were followed by Flintstones, remember them? Barney Rubbles.

Listen chaps. These playboys, as good as it gets (as clean as early doves), were 130mg MDMA IIRC.

You could give me 10 x 75mg pills from anytime in the last 10 years and they'll never come close to that 130.

Numbers mean nothing. Quality was everything. Nobody talks about 'clean' pills anymore because there is no such thing. All our old, pre 1997/98 pills were 'clean'. Mine were anyway.

I reckon it was around 95/96 that this started happening?

My memory is Spring 1998 was the point 'it' all changed. Maybe 97 but I doubt it. 95/96 were good years, trust me. ;)

Edit : I'm going for 97.

Last edited:
My memory is Spring 1998 was the point 'it' all changed. Maybe 97 but I doubt it. 95/96 were good years, trust me. ;)

Not for me. I went away in 97 and things were defo changing before that (i was in the South West). Yes, there was still good pills around (Apples, Fiddo Dido's are two stunning examples...along with the Playboys) but there was defo more "average" pills around too.

Also GLASTO 95 THAT WAS THE VERY FIRST TIME I SAW AND HAD A PLAYBOY STAMPED PILL ,

Glasto 95 was the most nuts one i went to, almost too nuts with the wall being down and too many dodgy fuckers. I'm pretty sure that is when we got our first Fido Diddo's, although i could be out by a year.

Not for me. I went away in 97 and things were defo changing before that (i was in the South West). Yes, there was still good pills around (Apples, Fiddo Dido's are two stunning examples...along with the Playboys) but there was defo more "average" pills around too.

Yep. But I (and most people) never had to have them, the real ones were still there to be found, generally easily.

The market got corrupted as early as about 91, there's nearly always been shit pills. FFS, I first took ketamine by pill in December 1994 (fake E "Sitting Ducks" - everyone hated them..except me). Look at Saunders book, it has pictures of really shit pills from the early 90's. But the high quality was practically always there to be found.

You're right, more average ones came in. But not at the expense of the real thing. Until 97/98 (actually I think it was Spring 97....there was a couple of months of nothing then "Swallows"....(copies of previous popular real pill)....low dose, take 2, take 3, ....and a lot of people who hadn't thrown up before on pills started throwing up (and the ones who threw up normally threw up more).

The market got corrupted as early as about 91, there's nearly always been shit pills. FFS, I first took ketamine by pill in December 1994 (fake E - everyone hated them..except me).

That first happened to me at Tribal Gathering at Otmoor Park in 95. I think it was a Diamond. It made the 5 hour drive back to Plymouth interesting....and i was driving........

Until 97/98 (actually I think it was Spring 97....there was a couple of months of nothing then "Swallows"....(copies of previous popular real pill)....low dose, take 2, take 3, ....and a lot of people who hadn't thrown up before on pills started throwing up (and the ones who threw up normally threw up more).

I've got vague memories of the shit Swallows, so it would be prior to October 97.

As much as I love learning about how it was in the early days and how great pills and the atmosphere was back then, I have a feeling that much of this is on your head. Chances are, if you have been doing pills heavily for 15 years your brain chemistry is going to be changed enough to not be able to experience pills like they were when you first started doing them.

I too wonder if the precursors or procedure affects the quality of the chemical.

It would be invaluable if someone cracked open their old stash of classic pills from 1996 for them to test them out against the best pill out today (Sonics or Yin yangs).

I have my doubts that there would be a startling difference. I have only been doing them since 2006, and i have found a few gems that blew my mind away. I am sure there is high quality shit out there, but its just few and far between.

I believe SHM for some reason....but who has stashes of pills going back 20 years? Would be amazin if some rich cunt saved up 10 of each different type from 1990 - 2000....and we could send 5 for testing and 1 each for me and others who weren't there at the time.....plenty of REAL pills for me, possibly a lifetimes worth.

calais were up *snip* and they even retaled at £15's but they were OH so worth it n oh so remissient of the old skool gurns i suspect wit hindsight they were a mega dose of MDA, THEY WERE THRILLING.

I was often getting promised the pink callis in 95/96 but they never materialised.
Also remember dolphins, rolex, playboys, swans, swallows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless yer. :)

Your typing is chaotic but I love you for this. Exactly right time, May/June 95. I had 100, can't think why. They were followed by Flintstones, remember them? Barney Rubbles.

Listen chaps. These playboys, as good as it gets (as clean as early doves), were 130mg MDMA IIRC.

You could give me 10 x 75mg pills from anytime in the last 10 years and they'll never come close to that 130.

Numbers mean nothing. Quality was everything. Nobody talks about 'clean' pills anymore because there is no such thing. All our old, pre 1997/98 pills were 'clean'. Mine were anyway.

My first pill was a double dove which cost £12.50 instead of the apparently usual £10.
For me things changed in 1997 with McDonalds and supermen before the Mitsies arrived.

Did any of you try McDonalds around 1997?

That first happened to me at Tribal Gathering at Otmoor Park in 95. I think it was a Diamond. It made the 5 hour drive back to Plymouth interesting....and i was driving........

I've got vague memories of the shit Swallows, so it would be prior to October 97.

Was sold a bigger than usual pink pill in Club UK.
Was told it was E buy hit me sooner and harder than anything before, staggering to get to the side to sit down, people staring at me.
Turns out it was Ket, I actually enjoyed it, none of my mates did.

As for puking, I always used to puke on the come up and then felt fine afterwards.

My first e was an acorn in 97

I am a real geek for remembering the stamps (funny because I cant remember what I had for dinner yesterday), I can think of a rave or a night and remember the stamps easily

98-99 I did all of these pills and loads more and they were all decent, some amazing. Pills died for me in 2003, thats when they stopped being of consistant quality and loads of low dose shitters showed up.

yellow callies
pink cadallacs
some sort of bird, not dove split into 4 on the back. Strong as fuck...Glasto 99 They were white pigeons in dutch duifjes ;)
loads of mitzes
love hearts
ferraris
snowballs (had them also not so good)
hearts with a nipple in the middle (weirdest pills ever, great fun)
blue tulips (Yeaah good ones)
green barrels
sunrises
roosters

brown salmiac
pigeons
tulips

wow good days the '90

All +-200 mg Mdma

now in the netherlands...crisys is over and the good ones are comming back....

white mills 125 mg :)

md is purer in powder than christal which is y christal is only ever in the 80% marks for purity,powder mud goes into pills not christal,from liquid mud u add acetone n various drain cleaners to get the christal effect,yrs b4 mud christal was common thee only mud one could get was either white powder or a sticky transparnt subsstance, back then with there being so many white powders on the market in order to make mud a huge seller they marketed it to stand out as a oohh ahh christal which they done wit great success

md is purer in powder than christal which is y christal is only ever in the 80% marks for purity,powder mud goes into pills not christal,from liquid mud u add acetone n various drain cleaners to get the christal effect,yrs b4 mud christal was common thee only mud one could get was either white powder or a sticky transparnt subsstance, back then with there being so many white powders on the market in order to make mud a huge seller they marketed it to stand out as a oohh ahh christal which they done wit great success

Oh really? That's interesting. I have seen MDMA in white powder before (tested MDMA as well) but always assumed thati t would be cut with something since it is a powder. I always figured crystal would be the best of the best.

In regards to pills, oftentimes if you look closely at some pills you can see little crystal speckles on it. I don't see why someone would make powder for pills if they can just crush up crystal and use that.

Then Mitzi's came along and seemed to revitalise things.

My first pill was a Mitzi in August 1998. They dried up towards the end of 1999, we put it down to millenium party demand but they never came back the same.

I <3 those Mitzis.

By early summer 2000 we were getting pills with ket in them and the mdma pills weren't good by then so we'd take a combo. Two Es and a K was called an EEK, and when we added ghb it was a GEEK.

From 1998 when Mixmag was more about drugs than music...

MixmagCover2.jpg

"THE PILL THAT RESCUED CLUBLAND"

My other favourite Mixmag cover from the same year...

MixmagCover3.jpg

"1998 REMEMBER ANYTHING?"

What I do remember is it was bloody fantastic =D