Bluelight

Thread: Kratom + Oxycodone?

1. Collapse Details
    Kratom + Oxycodone? 
    I am prescribed Oxycodone for pain, but in insufficient quantities to control my pain. I have heard that Kratom is a decent alternative for pain relief, comparable but shorter lasting to poppy tea.
    Is is dangerous to mix the two? If I still have oxycodone in my system, will this be a pleasant interaction or a negative/dangerous one?
    I plan on starting with a small dose, like 2 grams of higher grade powder or maybe a tea. What I dont want is over sedation or agitation.

I also use ativan. I might use some if the combo produces anxiety, which it might not. Any suggestions?

2. Collapse Details

it should mix ok.

both are said to be semi stimulating. i would assume it would be like mixing oxy and codiene or whatever

i have never tried kratom though so i would sait till someone else chimes in before you go ahead wth the mixture, although my gut intsinct says there shouldnt be anything wrong with this combo

3. Collapse Details

Kratom with opiates should not be a problem. Start out with 2 or 3g prepared in a tea(smoking Kratom is a chore). Be sure to look up cook times, it has been a while since I made kratom tea but it does work. It also depends on the potency of your stuff.
    But starting out with 2-3g should do the trick, its not a high dose even if the Kratom is of super high potency, if it is lower grade, you might need to bump up the dose to about 5g.

By the way, I hope you're not in too much pain. You might want to talk to your doctor and see if he can give you a higher dose of Oxy also because Kratom doesnt exactly 'take the pain away' so to speak. It makes you feel relaxed, almost as if you were in a dream but you are still alert. I don't think you will have to worry about over sedation either.

Hope I could help.

-D-

4. Collapse Details

I would avoid it personally. In my experience dosing kratom after an opiate leads to agitation and anxiety. I view kratom as more of an entheogenic substance with some rec potential. Kind of like cannabis. But this plant definitely does not seem to synergize well with anything that I have tried, best enjoyed on its own.

5. Collapse Details

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately I really am in a lot of pain. Im on about 45mg of Oxycodone a day plus 30mg MS Contin. It doesnt really take all my pain away either.

Im thinking maybe I will hold off on the Kratom until my health issues resolve.

6. Collapse Details

I have not experienced any alarming physical side effects, it was just upsetting mentally. However it may treat you fine. I don't see a problem with trying a small amount and seeing how it treats you for pain management.

7. Collapse Details

Everyone who tried mixing them has said dont do it. Anyone have a good experience mixing opiates and Kratom?

8. Collapse Details

^ precipitated withdrawal shouldn't be a problem at all; morphine has a much high binding affinity than that of the major metabolite of kratom.

correct me if i'm wrong though.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by leftwing View Post
    morphine has a much high binding affinity than that of the major metabolite of kratom.
    I would expect such - but how would oxycodone compare to the morphine in MS Contin in terms of binding affinity, and would that be affected at all by adding kratom to the mix? Whilst I've not used kratom, I have been prescribed oxy IR and MS contin amongst other combinations. I found that mixing the two seemed to negate the pain-relieving qualities of each other rather unexpectedly such that I would certainly prefer more (just) oxycodone or more (just) morphine, but not a mix of two or more. The same particularly applies with tapentadol and oxycodone/morphine/hydrocodone. If there is any science to such anecdote, perhaps the suggestion to favour more oxycodone is a good one. But that would make you a drug-seeking oxy-fiend, wouldn't it?

Best of luck with managing your pain. It can be a real pain in the arse - literally in my instance. It's a genuine shame that doctors so often under-treat patients such that they would need to seek 'alternative' medicating substances including kratom.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bollox View Post
    I would expect such - but how would oxycodone compare to the morphine in MS Contin in terms of binding affinity, and would that be affected at all by adding kratom to the mix? Whilst I've not used kratom, I have been prescribed oxy IR and MS contin amongst other combinations. I found that mixing the two seemed to negate the pain-relieving qualities of each other rather unexpectedly such that I would certainly prefer more (just) oxycodone or more (just) morphine, but not a mix of two or more. The same particularly applies with tapentadol and oxycodone/morphine/hydrocodone. If there is any science to such anecdote, perhaps the suggestion to favour more oxycodone is a good one. But that would make you a drug-seeking oxy-fiend, wouldn't it?

Best of luck with managing your pain. It can be a real pain in the arse - literally in my instance. It's a genuine shame that doctors so often under-treat patients such that they would need to seek 'alternative' medicating substances including kratom.

I think I am going to switch to a Fent patch but keep the oxycodone.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bollox View Post
    I would expect such - but how would oxycodone compare to the morphine in MS Contin in terms of binding affinity, and would that be affected at all by adding kratom to the mix?
    i was responding to the post before mine.

where they said
    You mentioned MS contin morphine has an affinty for every ioioid receptornand things hate getting kicked off receptors, ans usually resond with acute withdrwel symtoms or if your lucky dysforia. I'm going through the the the same thing trying to fiqure a safe time to stop drinking krato and stilll have fun with my meds (oxycodone), or just save kratom for dopesickness which is the direction ai'm in now.
    taking them, kratom and morphine, together shouldn't cause precipitated withdrawals.

12. Collapse Details

I've mixed them plenty of times and it is definitely a good mix.