Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(DXM/Cough drops 420 mg) First time: 3rd plateau

sixthsense

Greenlighter
Dextromethorphan (DXM) / cough drops
First time tripping

Yesterday night was one of the most intense experiences I made so far. I met my friend Markus at his place. The plan was to intoxicate ourselves with DXM, a cheap cough medicine you can get at every pharmacy. Markus had already taken a dose of 300mg earlier the same week and described his previous experience as a mixture of Kratom, weed and a heavy buzz of alcohol. Our expectation for the night was a fairly intense but laid back intoxication with slight visuals and a “mind-merge” with music. For me, however, it would turn out to be very different.

The setting was nothing special, no exceptional events happened; I had class earlier in the day but my stress faded as I approached the evening. Markus’ roommate was gone for the night so we had the apartment for ourselves. I met him around 11pm. I was in a relaxed mood expecting nothing outrageous. We even had some fun taking “shocking” drug pictures and imagining someone finding them years later.
The DXM in Germany comes in pills so that the dosage and consumption was an easy task. Each one swallowed 14 pills equaling 420mg of the active ingredient. While waiting for intoxication I was slowly sipping my beer. I had an empty stomach at that point but thought that I would make myself some food later.
After about half an hour I started to feel a first effect which I could clearly distinguish from any placebos I might have had. It was a feeling of being buzzed which grew as time proceeded. After another half an hour, even though I had only 2 beers overall, I felt so drunk that I had to lie down on a mattress. My body was heavy, my movements and coordination were hugely affected by the drug and keeping balance was almost impossible when I tried to get up to go to the bathroom.
This stage intensified even more after I lay down again. Now it was almost impossible for me to do any movement whatsoever. I started to feel really sick. It was like getting trashed on cheap liquor and being a moment before throwing up. The difference, however, was that my mind was clearer, or rather stoned and functioned much better than after alcohol.
Markus body took a little longer to absorb the drug. He was still able to get up so that he brought me a piece of ginger. At that point I wasn’t even able to put the herb in my mouth.

After a little while my mind wandered off and I started to lose the sense of proportions and even gravity. I looked up to the ceiling and could not tell if the room was flipped over with me sticking to the floor (which felt like the ceiling itself). I couldn’t tell anymore if the walls were far away or very close. I could not figure out the size of objects and everything started to move back and forth. Soon I melted into the mattress and merged with the music that surrounded us. I have only very little memory of that stage. In addition I lost every sense of time. Partly it was like being in space, then like being the flow of water. The music changed into classical. I think it was Debussy that made me experience beauty in its pure sense. I was overwhelmed by emotions, my body started to move to the tones of the piano. I was close to tears. It even intensified after Markus turned on Pachelbel's Canon in D, which is one of my favorite songs that always deeply touches me. In this stage of mind, however, it was more than I am able to describe in words. It was an overflow of emotion, a mirror of the whole world that I was mentally a part of.
Every time the classical music started to be underlined by a deep bass anxiety began to take over. At that point Markus repeated the classical music over and over. Every time my emotions hived off. Every time the bass faded in and Markus rewinded the music. I wasn’t sure anymore if all of this already happened earlier. It was like being caught in a loophole of time. I tried to prevent panicking by distracting myself from these thoughts. Markus always calmed me down by starting new topics.
As time went on I felt the need to go to the bathroom. I couldn’t get up though, so I crawled to the wall and pulled me up. The floor was swaying like a ship deck but I regained a little sense of balance and slowly made my way to the bathroom. I made big steps like avoiding puddles, then my body started to move like a robot. When I got back I was walking around in the room dancing a little bit and flowing to the sound. I had almost no body control. When I grabbed a glass to get some water I melted to my hand, it became inseparable to my own body.
The most intense thing however was that I lost any perception of time and of my own history. All memories were not sorted in some kind of timely manner in the back of my head, as it usually is. They were actual and present in the very moment of existence; it was like relieving certain aspects of my memories in the presence without any actual happenings. Past feelings and emotions, all what was left of memories about my life culminated into essence of the presence. Suddenly I remembered that I found myself in a mindset that I knew from rolling for the first time at a rave in New York. But I could not tell if I have actually been to the states and whether I spend the last year of my life there. Impressions of people popped up but I didn’t know anymore if they ever existed. It was like the entire world was completely new to me, like I just came into existence at some point during that trip: somehow like a newborn child experiencing the world for the first time.
I started to philosophize about Freud, Marx and Adorno. About society, force and anxiety. My psyche seemed to be this essence which I was able to comprehend more emphatically than ever before. This vulnerable, immaterial entity in the midst of a hostile and cruel world. “Anxiety is taking over…”. Again, Markus saved me from stepping over the edge of fear.
Several scenes and thoughts repeated in the course of the night, I can’t tell how often. For example a journey to the bathroom, that Markus accompanied me every time, started out the same way, all the six or seven times that I went there.
Over time my thoughts became clearer and the intoxication ebbed away slowly. I kept moving around, dancing slowly and merging with the music until I eventually lied down again. By that time I regained more and more connection to reality again. My memories came to rest and I could feel the intensely warm and calming blanket. I was exhausted. My body felt heavy and my muscles were weak. I still had visuals, patterns appeared in front of my eyes, lights and colours were still intense and objects changed their size and expansion.
Neither of us could sleep and we shared our experiences every now and then and tried to remember the many details of the night. Around seven in the morning, we still had not slept yet, we made pasta and I tried to eat a little bit. The whole night felt like a lifetime; last evening seemed so distant because time had passed by so slowly.
Around 8 am I could finally fall asleep for a couple of hours.

At the next day I took off immediately after getting up. I still had after effects: the streets seemed more plastic and the whole world was drowned with calmness. I was paying attention to the reflections of the sun, to the patterns of the brick, to the talk of people on the train. I was calm and tired after my long journey and the various phases and insights of the last night were reappearing in front of my inner eye.

substancecode_dxm

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice report. You describe the DXM experience pretty good. I personally find the "side effects" too much to get anything out of the trip but can say i've had a couple good trips from it.

What's your weight? I'm surprised you got a third plateau experience from 420mg. Not that's it's impossible but generally you'd have to be quite small to hit the third plateau... Suppose it depends on metabolism etc though.

Would you do it again?

What's your weight? I'm surprised you got a third plateau experience from 420mg. Not that's it's impossible but generally you'd have to be quite small to hit the third plateau... Suppose it depends on metabolism etc though.

Would you do it again?

I am about 80 kg / 170 pounds. Normals sized guy, kind'a skinny but not undernourished.

I will definitely continue tripping on DXM. A couple of days later I was tripping on shrooms and could relate to certain experiences and insights I made on DXM.

The initial DXM trip was very meaningful to me. And it was the first time I was tripping that hard (previously to that I took rolls and mushrooms once, of which the latter weren't too potent).

^Yeah, at 80kg and 420mg, that's only 5.25mg/kg, so not quite the third plateau doses described in the DXM FAQ. Still, sounds like you were in a 3rd plateau, actually sounds like you started down the 'Disassociative Spiral', which sounds like it could be fun if prepared for it, but could be terrifying if not!

I am also 80kg; the highest dose I've taken is 6mg/kg (480mg); done this several times and still comfortably in the 2nd plateau. Never had that 'threshold' effect when you lose all sensory input, nor the Lilliputian/temporal delusions.
I really identify with the music euphoria though, mine was with Pink Floyd but I can imagine it with classical music too.

If you want to read about the Disassociative Spiral, here's the link to it in the DXM FAQ:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_paranormal.shtml#toc.8

My first trip was good, i was layin on the floor, then lean forward abd ne like WHOA...this is NOW, HOLY SHIT THIS IS NOW! First trip was the best trip i have had.

Would you do it again?

Uhhm, your obviously assuming he was on a full stomach.. empty stomach 340+ in my opinion is a third plateau, even for a person that has used 40x+. Im 17 a well experianced dex user id say iv dosed about 200+ times NOTHING TO BRAG ABOUT its actually pretty dissapointing so smd for haters. I weigh 176 pounds to be exact and i remember back in the day when iv used approx 60x? guessing.. and 300mg of robitussin cough gels would set me on my ass for an hour because i could feel the effects intensify quick and trust me, it hits you hard. In my opinion i personally think tussin gels are more potent? but i have no proof whatsoever..

anyways today i dosed 620mg's empty stomach=12h+ i was about 18hours in when i dosed and it waaaas intense, id say a good high third plateau and i 40% enjoyed it lol the other 60% was a piss off, but overall not bad but unconfertable i usssaly take a good stumble outside to a good ol shed in the back best place to be when intense tripping, no idiots around annoying you.. i find it bothers me so much when people try to talk to me and ask whats wrong lol but fuck it.. i had intense cev's like it looked so real, and minor auditory hall's..
lost time perception couldnt walk, nobody ussaly walks their asses around on 3rd or 4th unless on a full stomach, full stomach doses in my opinion are a waste of cash rofl but a good time .. ALMOST DAILY DEX USERS DOSE THAT SHIT EMPTY ;)

but your trip sounded like the good ol low-mid third plateau, explained quite well i enjoyed reading. Personally i disslike high 3rd plateaus(enjoy low 3rds) and 4th platueas(been there once and never again, made me want to stop dex all around.. untill my buddy comes over the next morning for fuck sakes.. got me back into my good vibe, but other then that good report im writing this currently coming down (FINNALY) from the high 3rd, i yaked out some good ol razzzzbarry dm syrup (only buy dm products) about 3hours in and railed a good ol perky soon as i stopped yaking=] ANYWAYS im done with my fuckin rambling remember, dose empty=]

One thing i loved about DXM was that it let you live hundreds of years in the span of night. Sounds like a really good trip though :p

I did dxm for a time (drinking cough syrup is gross you should try to find pills that are just dxm) Or better yet order the pure powder from online. However i stopped because the last two or three times i did it i threw up and was cracked out the next day.

ive done all methods of dxm and my latest enjoyment have been the mucinex pills. less pills to take than robo brand and its got 60mgs per pill. only downside is the expectorant, but i took 660mgs last week and didnt have any nausea from that other chemical at all. however while swallowing the pills it was slightly hard not to gag but that goes with any pills i have to take and/or morning glory seeds u have to swallow LOL

960mg DXM VETERAN

I've had some very trippy experiences will experimenting with DXM. once on a night of 960mg I found a black onyx box that held all the answers to the universe. Except when I opened the box all the answers were sounds. It was like celestial noise in the language of an ancient race.... Super trippy... I've also gotten lost in my sub conscious mind and lived and died in what I thought was 150 lifetimes with full control over my environment that one was one of my favorites... I have a very active imagination and a ability to take control of what many might consider a bad trip. I like the good and the bad trips because the good dosent seem so good without the sour....I once thought I was living inside a bottle of Windex blue color and horrible smell and all. That was a long night lol. I've contemplated my existence and seen my own soul... It was one night watching The Watchmen that I thought I live in the 1980s that was fun. Two of the best movies to watch are...The Watchmen...and...Cloud Atlas.... very trippy.