• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants The Buproprion (Wellbutrin) Megathread

A friend of mine has depression, can't move and is bedridden. Showering, laundry and basic tasks are huge endeavors. Anyway, they have been on Wellbutrin 300 XL for 5 years. When they first started taking it, they were able to move and got a FULLTIME job. It was awesome! They were functional!

Unfortunately, over time Wellbutrin became less effective. So, they have been looking for a replacement or something that will synergistically work with Wellbutrin making it effective again.

Loss of efficacy of Wellbutrin in some individuals is likely due to tolerance increase to CNS stimulation. However this does not explain why many if not most stimulant-tolerant individuals do not experience loss of therapeutic benefit or even a diminution of perceived CNS stimulation after years of taking Wellbutrin, myself included. Neither my psychiatist nor my father, a retired neurologist, have an explanation for this other than it's unlikely to be related to genetic factors once obvious causes such as drug/food interactions and neurological disease have been eliminated. The food factor may be worth investigating in some cases, wouldn't be the first time dietary interference proves a a major nuisance to therapeutic effects after someone develops a new taste for potent cheeses...

I love bupropion. I have Asperger's Syndrome, which comes with a lot of ADHD type symptoms, as well as a heap of sadness and frustration and anxiety for being such a 'stand out'. Bupropion has been excellent at restoring focus, gaining insight, and developing motivation.

I have been prescribed Buproprion for depression, for almost 4 months now, first the 200mg ER and now the 300mg ER. The first few days I felt a little foggy, not as quick thinking as usual. That cleared up and was followed by a few days where I had higher energy and motivation than I had felt in years. A few days after that... nothing. I got the higher dosage hoping that that would do the trick, at least for a couple of days maybe. Nothing, still. Maybe I would notice a difference if I quit taking it, but I don't think so. On the plus side, it has definitely curbed my addictive tendencies. I smoke still, but it's more of a habitual thing than a nicotine thing, and I finally managed a successful Suboxone taper. For the first time in almost 10 years I don't wake up dope sick every afternoon! =D if that doesn't deserve a smiley I dunno what does.

I snorted it a couple of times. Miserable experience. I think I was more affected by the pain than the medicine. Far worse than meth, comparable to methadone, except that those two don't hurt for more than a few seconds. That was with the 200mg pills, which were about twice the size of the 300s I'm on now, so I've actually been considering trying again (I learn the hard way), but I'm pretty convinced that it's not worth it.

The only negative effect was an increase in my already existent anxiety. I told the doc I had anxiety problems along with my depression, then he prescribed me the buproprion after telling me about the (I wish everyone would chill out about this) negligible increase in seizure risk and that it makes anxiety worse. I thought that was kind of odd as I was walking out, and sure as shit, by the time I had my second appointment I was having anxiety attacks almost daily. He has since prescribed me gabapentin for anxiety, and I know this isn't the right thread for that, so I'll just say that I think it's a miracle drug for me, though it seems to affect everyone in different ways.

After some research I've come to the conclusion that I probably have undiagnosed ADD rather than depression. I actually think my doc might have a hunch that that's the case, which is why he prescribed me buproprion rather than an SSRI. I have my third appointment coming up in a couple of weeks, so we'll see. I think(know) that I could function at a higher level if I had a script for some sort of true upper. at least for awhile. and who doesn't? lol

Now I have a question... earlier in the thread I read that buproprion makes adderall not work so good, which I had noticed from personal experience, but this is the first place I've seen it mentioned. it doesn't seem to affect the effectiveness of meth, however. can anyone explain why?

finally, in case anyone is interested, I was prescribed remeron for sleep the first go around, and it did nothing for me. second go around? temazepam. I'm sure I probably don't need to tell you how that's going! 8o (as my luck would have it, I can't take hydroxyzine (restless legs) or benzo-like z-drugs (somnambulism), so I don't see him switching me off the good stuff any time soon.)

Bupropion is a really great drug for depression, or so I've heard. My mom is prescribed 150mg a day and she's totally done a flip with her life. God forbid anyone uses it recreationally though. I accidentally ODed on Bupropion; I had 8 150mg pills in a half hour and ended up throwing up my guts out and watching my bedroom walls melt. Scary experience, then again I was young and didn't think to go on a pill identifier site.

I absolutely don't like bupropion:\

First i tried to abuse it rectally and sublingually but both didn't work out at all. Almost no effect and allot of pain.

Then i took it as prescribed and my heart was beating really fast all day long(100-120 bpm) + i got very irritated and angry.

I was prescribed bupropion to help me quit smoking. The first three days directed to take one 150mg tab PO every morning. Day four directed to take one 150mg tab every 12 hours. After day six all my cig cravings were gone and they began to taste and smell awful. My final cig lasted about two puffs and then I chucked it, along with the rest of the pack. That was 3 years ago and I haven't smoked since. I also stopped taking the bupropion after day 10.

I was prescribed bupropion to help me quit smoking. The first three days directed to take one 150mg tab PO every morning. Day four directed to take one 150mg tab every 12 hours. After day six all my cig cravings were gone and they began to taste and smell awful. My final cig lasted about two puffs and then I chucked it, along with the rest of the pack. That was 3 years ago and I haven't smoked since. I also stopped taking the bupropion after day 10.

I wonder if all smokers taking bupropion for reasons other than smoking cessation ddrop their tobacco intake anyway? In my case I take Wellbutrin 300mg once in the morning as part of my BP cocktail and went from 40 cigs a day to less than 10 within two months, only took notice when extra savings popped up in my budget. It wasn't my intention to smoke less, it just happened. Although I noticed my smokes seemed to taste a little funky it wasn't that bad, -interestingly I find that other people's cigarettes do stink now- it's just the craving for more than 8 to 10 smokes a day is gone. Poof, just like that I can now spend a whole day at the office and need to go out only once (at lunchtime) instead of every hour and not even think about it. I also stopped smoking while doing even light physical activity such as walking the dog and so.

I was prescribed bupropion in high school for ADHD. I remember just flat out not liking it.

Here I am a decade later..addict and all,I had forgotten about this drug. I also didn't realize that it is an ant-depressant, which took me by surprise.

I've been on Sertraline for 1 year 4 months. I noticed the changes in myself after several days. Then I learn that Bupropion is commonly used as an add-on to incomplete SSRIs. So I asked my doc to put me on it.

Anyway, I do notice the mild euphoria increase heart rate, bruxism, cottonmouth.

Seems to make some things more enjoyable and will make me kind of obsess...hard to explain.

I just want to touch on "wellbutrin psychosis" :

I haven't googled it yet for some reason, unless I forgot, but I've had at least 4 episodes recently, 2 of the 4 being WAY more intense. Like holy Fuck. I went through schizophrenia, multiple personality(maybe)

The visual hallucinations from the first time onward were creepy as shit. Wicked Fucking scary. I'd have some where say a yo yo was being stung, the hallucination would be the string magically disappearing when you blink. Decapitated heads staged in the distance, annoying things like whatever your TRYING to do, this invisible force would do something to it. and of course the invisible man would want me to go .

Not only does the invisible man operate on the defence but on the offense, that push you felt was it .Like magic tricks on anything snd everything including your bodily functions. Yes. I could feel his/it influence with every move and every decision I made, the invisible man was always there, or sometimes ahead of you.

My last episode was so Fucking frightening that I'll probably never take as many again.

Last edited:
I take Wellbutrin XL 300 mg for depression and 20
mg Adderrall twice per day for ADHD.

Some posters above mentioned that Wellbutrin may make stimulants less effective ... is this true? I have been taking both meds for years along with other prescribed meds so I can't weigh in on lessening effects of my ADHD med.

I was under the impression from my doctor that Wellbutrin also helped with ADHD. He never mentioned it may reduce effectiveness of Adderrall.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Could there be a dangerous interaction if taking another stimulant that acts the same way in the brain (norephineprine/dopamine/serotonine reuptake inhibitor / realeasing agent) as Wellbutrin ?
Is there anything equal to serotonine syndrome but that happens when too much dopamine/norephineprine builds up ?

I have been on Wellbutrin for maybe 3 years, doc gave it to me for smoking cessation but it leveled out my depression within 2 weeks. I had been on just about every anti-depressant there is with no real relief (Lexipro helped for a while but then didn't).

Anyway, I smoke Meth occasionally, usually for a week then off for 2 weeks, that kind of thing, and I haven't noticed any kind of weird interaction with the Wellbutrin. The Meth use is mainly to cut down on my usage of Oxycodone.

Bupropion interacts with amphetamines

I take Wellbutrin XL 300 mg for depression and 20
mg Adderrall twice per day for ADHD.

Some posters above mentioned that Wellbutrin may make stimulants less effective ... is this true? I have been taking both meds for years along with other prescribed meds so I can't weigh in on lessening effects of my ADHD med.

I was under the impression from my doctor that Wellbutrin also helped with ADHD. He never mentioned it may reduce effectiveness of Adderrall.

Any thoughts? Thanks

I've been on 600 mg/day for >20 yrs for depression. It kinda works...better than SSRIs or SNRIs for my brain but can make me anxious/shaky even after so long. I've also used stims on and off throughout my 50 yrs... and not always in moderation.

I find that wellbutrin almost entirely inhibits the action of d-amph when I take wellbutrin beforehand unless I take lots (in these days of low tolerance, thats >20mg) d-amphetamine. If I take d-amph first, I can extend the stim time by taking wellbutrin when I start to crash. I also used wellbutrin to help get off of methamphetamine (and vanilla d-amph too).

In recovery from meth, bupropion was nothing short of a godsend. It partially filled the gaping hole in my head left by speed, without being euphoric or particularly stimulating. I haven't tried meth after wellbutrin.

I've discussed the pharmacology of this drug with a well-known dopamine/meth researcher- it binds the same receptors as speed (his work was in rodents... they are a little different from humans). However it inhibits the dopamine pump rather than causing a reversal of the dopamine pump as amphetamines do (meth or d-), so partial inhibition of amphetamine action is entirely expected. As a DNRI, it is really similar (at least in rats) to cocaine, but with very different pharmacokinetics and binding speeds.

However, in humans, wellbutrin only occupies ~30% of dopamine receptors so it's mostly a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor in humans. Which feels about right to me. Speed can still get you that dopamine feeling... it just takes more.

All that notwithstanding, it should NOT prevent your speed from working for ADHD. Much maybe most of the anti-ADHD effect of speed is the norepinepherine release. Bupropion is a good NRI and it is used (off label) by itself for ADHD.

Last edited:
yes, stimulant psychosis with symptoms of paranoid prosecution and fully immersive delusions.

I'm having trouble staying focused at the moment, however, this happened to me; i was getting little food and sleep while taking consistent low doses of a very powerful cathinone along with Wellbutrin which I stopped just before these events (in hindsight I realize that was the bad idea)
It was as if one thing in my world went wrong then all of the sudden i'm up to my neck in espionage, hacking, car chases with the iranian mob and cia, and every single person is "in on it" until I developed an overpowering feeling of impending doom with every moment feeling as if it was my last.
I was noticeably malnourished. I agreed to go to the hospital for a psych evaluation and I was put on a 72 hour hold.

I spent thirty some odd hours in the psychiatric ward after I woke up.

I had no clue where I was or how long I'd be there.

I'm still recovering, this happened last November and i'm still dealing with the effects.

My body has been noticeably changed by this event and now a low dose of cathinone reacts with the potency of a significantly higher dose with equal negative consequences.

Last edited:
I've been on Wellbutrin 300mg for about four months. It is the only antidepressant I would agree to take under any circumstances due to the side effects and withdrawal associated with just about all other antidepressants -- especially SSRIs. I've been on many of them in the past, including Wellbutrin, and it was the ONLY one that came with zero side effects and zero withdrawal symptoms. I have no desire to be numbed, apathetic, cold and zombified, which is what usually comes with SSRIs and SNRIs. Wellbutrin is one of a kind, and after refusing to take an antidepressant again for a very long time, I agreed to this.

I will say, the first couple weeks it definitely gave me some pep, energy, mental clarity, and a little more motivation. My constant tiredness/lethargy had been eliminated. It also made cigarettes far less appealing, and if I had been in the right state of mind and determined to quit at the time, it would have made it MUCH easier. I smoked less than half what I normally do.

At about the one month mark all the initial benefits started disappearing, with the exception of still having a little more energy/not being tired round the clock. I don't notice any real boost in my mood and I contemplate discontinuing its use on a daily basis.

I also have some pretty nasty anxiety problems, for which I am prescribed benzos, and the Wellbutrin definitely increases the anxiety level just a bit. Not a ton, but noticeable.

It seems to be a common theme that the benefits wear off fast. That's unfortunate.

If I do stop taking it, I won't touch an SSRI, SNRI, MAOI or tricyclic. Not a chance in hell. Kratom is my cure for depression, hands down. Unfortunately, although not poor, I'm not financially comfortable enough to really support a kratom habit without it taking its toll on my finances.

(I put this in OD over TR bcuz I figured it’d get more views here)

Ok, so my recent background of drug use and current is 8g’s kratom in the evening, xanax as prescribed, and the research chemical o-desmethyltramadol which I only use once a week now. (Financial reasons)

Thats it... until simultaneously the fates of being a past junky conspired against me.
Ive been having strong fatigue issues and spoke to my doc who put me on Wellbutrin to try to help. Around this time I came across some syringes in my own home (well, I live with my mom hehe). She breeds cattle and sometimes gives em vitamin shots. They were mostly unusable 16g, but alas, there was 1 single 25 I could manage with.

So I crushed a 150mg pill squirted hella water on it (luer lock held like 12cc) and double filtered through cotton. Lined the rig up to were I used to IV yeeears ago and drew blood. I injected all but a little of it to see if I was still in the vein, nothing. Complete painless miss. Tried again several times but for some reason the rig kept clogging.

Come to find out Wellbutrin itself is a coagulant! So as soon as you register it coagulates the blood in the barrel unless you’re quick draw McGraw.

Anyway the miss left me with a lump, a numb lump. I wait 3 days till this morning when I wake up with extreme pain in my arm. All over the top part and there’s minor swelling and pain in my wrist.

I said fuck this I am NOT losing an arm. I ran to the ER and told them everything. They did blood cultures, found minor for now traces of bacteria, and put me on IV antibiotics and sent me home with a script for oral ones.

The needle ritual is hard to break... even almost 4 years away from one and just the sight and possession of one caused all this grief. Moral is DONT IV WELLBUTRIN way too dangerous and so not worth the risk.

i was weak and foolish and won’t EVER touch that needle again, God help me. Just thought I’d share this to spread the word that this is riskier than shooting normal pills. Don’t do it if you value your veins and limbs. And life.

Agreed. I’ve been fortunate enough to avoid complications until this needle relapse. I haven’t always (in the past) been hygienic with my IV use so I’m very lucky to have this 1 disaster.

For years I pumped my veins with morphine pills and Ritalin. For some reason I always stuck to snorting Oxy though =p

Just snort it. Injecting pills will kill you way faster than anything else

Also crushing it and taking it to empty stomach gives that 5 minute extreme euphoria. It's not worth it anyway as it gives you very strong craving to experience it again, and over 600 mg will increase risk of convulsion and delirium with each dose. On 900mg taken with alpratzolam I already started to see moving shadows and spider like things moving around. Shitties drug there is, get some real stimulants if you want to get that dopamine high.

I recently had a full blown grand mal seizure after shooting Wellbutrin (had been doing it a couple times a day for weeks, there is a strong craving to experience it again and again, once you get that “rush” once). Even now, after the seizure, I still crave it...but yeah, it’s just not worth the risk again. I’m embarrassed even admitting to it...but yeah, I agree with what all you guys are saying..if you wanna get high that bad, just get some real shit.

DO NOT INJECT WELLBUTRIN(BUPROPION);

However, it Should be noted that first-pass metabolism converts it into it's primary medication; however snorting gives you a more stimulant like effect.

It's rusty, though will likely check specifics and post back.

Not encouraging snorting, just please, don't try to shoot it; it wouldn't even be soluble enough for regular syringe w/ water