• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants The Buproprion (Wellbutrin) Megathread

I was once prescribed Wellbutrin as an antidepressant.

Before I got the prescription filled, I got a few extended-release pills from a friend to give it a test run. I remember that the first dose brought about a nervous, Ritalin-style stimulation. It suppressed my appetite, and also made the thought of cigarettes absolutely disgusting to me. It may seem odd, but since I was in the habit of smoking, I decided to try a cigarette and I threw it down after one puff.

The next day, on the second dose, I had to travel. I felt like I was having an almost psychedelic mind trip at the airport and on the plane. Things became really overblown in my thoughts, I became very emotional and thought I was going to cry. I knew that this was most likely a side effect that would clear up as I progressed with the medication.

Anyway, when I decided to invest in my own prescription, I received a different generic, this time, an IR. The effect on the smoke cravings was gone and I continued my habit. The stimulation was gone too, and what weird effects that were left evolved into an even weirder feeling and I dropped the med for good.

I guess my point is that Wellbutrin may work as a stop-smoking aid, but it is also a very complex psychoactive, and it my depend on the formulation.

I was thinking actually about creating a Buproprion Megathread.. It definitely does help some (like me) as far as nicotine cravings go. I'll add more of my experiences with it later.

Buproprion 150XL nasal insuffllation

I frequently snort Buproprion (Welbutrin) 150mg xl. Each pill makes about 2 good lines (make sure to get the casing out of the mix, it takes some good effort at patience). I absolutely love it and finds it to be similar to cocaine (similar but only about 30% as effective). I get energy and mild euphoria.
I am confused however, as 95% of the threads I have read say snorting buproprion is as good as snorting salt and a little more painful (the latter is true). I want to understand how I gets high off of Buproprion, as I cannot believe it is placebo, I do it quit a bit and not just at parties but on downtime just to have fun.

Never do this if you are prone to seizures, and please do a lot of reading before trying. I suggest not ever mixing with alcohol, no fun at all.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buproprion, is a NA/DA reuptake inhibitor. More so with NA, than DA. Its dopamine reuptake is around 15-30% and usually dopamine uptake in the range of 60%+ is considered "abusable". Its used more in the addiction field to increase "dopamine tone". I tried very briefly to abuse it and the first few times I noticed mild stimulation and a very very very small bit of euphoria but it was very uncomfortable due to the NA. I got to be very very "short" with people, angry a lot, and just a very unsettling mind set while using this medication. Be careful because it can cause siezures.

Buproprion, is a NA/DA reuptake inhibitor. More so with NA, than DA. Its dopamine reuptake is around 15-30% and usually dopamine uptake in the range of 60%+ is considered "abusable". Its used more in the addiction field to increase "dopamine tone". I tried very briefly to abuse it and the first few times I noticed mild stimulation and a very very very small bit of euphoria but it was very uncomfortable due to the NA. I got to be very very "short" with people, angry a lot, and just a very unsettling mind set while using this medication. Be careful because it can cause siezures.

Thanks for sharing your info and experience hydro!

I am prescribed 300mg xl tabs and have never noticed anything remotely stimulating about them... but then again I haven't snorted them. Are you positive it's not a placebo? This might be interesting to try...

Don't abuse bupropion for its mild euphoric effects - you're also potentiating its pro-convulsant effects. It's a terrible risk:reward ratio.

I am prescribed 300mg xl tabs and have never noticed anything remotely stimulating about them... but then again I haven't snorted them. Are you positive it's not a placebo? This might be interesting to try...

I have NEVER had any recreational effects from taking them orally, ever. I heard a few people had fun railing them,, so I tried. Indeed it was fun, I experienced energy and mild euphoria, which never happened when taking them orally. Some friends of mine tried them and has had fun, one friend didn't feel anything, but I feel that is because he had been prescribed a similar anti depressant and had been taking them for some time.

Don't abuse bupropion for its mild euphoric effects - you're also potentiating its pro-convulsant effects. It's a terrible risk:reward ratio.

I agree with this, and would never have abused it to begin with if I knew how high the seizure potential was. However, now that I have been doing it every now and again, I feel confident that I will not go into convulsion, especially considering no one in my family has ever had a seizure in the past hundred years.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't SWIM here. It is explicitly against the rules because it does nothing but make your posts harder to read.

I feel confident that I will not go into convulsion, especially considering no one in my family has ever had a seizure in the past hundred years.

That doesn't mean you're invincible.

Some people do get euphoria from buproprion. It is, after all, a modified cathinone, a little like mephedrone or something. It's not very common though, and the consensus is there are better drugs out there.

I would advise people not to snort their antidepressants, not only is it hard on your nose, it's going to fuck with their effectiveness.

Last edited:
We don't SWIM here. It is explicitly against the rules because it does nothing but make your posts harder to read.

That doesn't mean you're invincible.

Some people do get euphoria from buproprion. It is, after all, a modified cathinone, a little like mephedrone or something. It's not very common though, and the consensus is there are better drugs out there.

I would advise people not to snort their antidepressants, not only is it hard on your nose, it's going to fuck with their effectiveness.

1. Thank you so much for clarifying, I knew it was in the rules that it was no longer necessary nor advized to use swim, but I read about 20 some posts before I posted this and all of them used swim any nobody mentioned that they shouldn't have used swim.

2. I know I need to be careful with the stuff, its hard to resist since it is a very cheap high.

3. I can vouch that it is hard on your nose. And I no longer take it for depression, as it would "fuck with its effectiveness"

4. Thanks for your post and clarifying things!

I am prescribed 300mg xl tabs and have never noticed anything remotely stimulating about them...
I once tried bupropion because I fell for the propagand of it being a jack-of-all-trades antidepressant. who doesn't want to get a mood lift, increase energy level, getting sexually stimulated and loose weight all at the same time. I even considered to start smoking, so I could experence all of it effects. after a few days of taking it, I realized that this compound put me on a straight road to amphetamine psychosis. nevertheless I decided to give it some more days, believing in the psychiatrist's lies about it "needing to build up constant a blood level". nevertheless it became worse with every day, so I realized I had to pull the emergency brakes.

I don't think bupropione can be called an antidepressant in any reasonable way. it's just a shitty stimulant relabeled as antidepressant in order to make money out of it. the reasoning behind it seems to be that the more shitty the stimulant is you use in this marketing plot, the more likely you are to get away with it.

fun fact: the UK general cathinone ban needed to get an extra section declaring bupropion as exception so it could stay legal.

I once tried bupropion because I fell for the propagand of it being a jack-of-all-trades antidepressant. who doesn't want to get a mood lift, increase energy level, getting sexually stimulated and loose weight all at the same time. I even considered to start smoking, so I could experence all of it effects. after a few days of taking it, I realized that this compound put me on a straight road to amphetamine psychosis. nevertheless I decided to give it some more days, believing in the psychiatrist's lies about it "needing to build up constant a blood level". nevertheless it became worse with every day, so I realized I had to pull the emergency brakes.

I don't think bupropione can be called an antidepressant in any reasonable way. it's just a shitty stimulant relabeled as antidepressant in order to make money out of it. the reasoning behind it seems to be that the more shitty the stimulant is you use in this marketing plot, the more likely you are to get away with it.

fun fact: the UK general cathinone ban needed to get an extra section declaring bupropion as exception so it could stay legal.

Thanks for sharing your experience! What do you think it means that buproprion was an exception in the UK ban, does that mean it does not cause problems the others do, or does that mean that the manufacturer greased a few hinges and padded a few pockets?

What do you think it means that buproprion was an exception in the UK ban, does that mean it does not cause problems the others do, or does that mean that the manufacturer greased a few hinges and padded a few pockets?
the original formulation of the catch-it-all cathinone ban was clear: bupropion would have been made as illegal as methylone and mephedrone. for some reasons the responsible politicians didn't want that, so they had to add bupropion as an explicit exception, i.e. it now says something like "all substances that are a cathinone according to our elaboratet rule set are illegal, except for bupropion". about those reasons, one can only speculate; I assume it was because their deep conviction that this medication is of great value and will benefit humankind on the long run.

and about "causing trouble": the biggest trouble about drugs for politicians seems to be that someone could use it have some fun; in that sense a cathinone that is even shittier than the other cathinones (which are already shitty enough on their own), so that nobody would even think about ingesting it is obviusly less of a problem.

Bupropion (Wellbutrin)- Best wayto take

Hello-just wondering the best way to take Bupropion?

I know the obvoius answer is not to take them- but a couple times a month while drinking they seem to pop up and get passed around. I have also read they are non-abusable- but I dont understand that because I have noticed a distinct and fairly strong effect.

Ive been using wellbutrin 150 (purple ones). Usually 1-2pills but sometimes up to 5-6. We have been insufflating (snorting). But this has been extremely uncomfortable/distasteful and Im worried its damaging my sinus/nasal cavity. I have one friend who injects them but that is not an option for the rest of us.Is there a safer/easier way to take these and still feel an effect?

snorting 5-6 wellbutrin pills is dangerous and can lead to seizures. And to answer your question, I don't think there are any better ways. I just insuffulated 2 300mg wellbutrins and it burns like a bitch, but im feeling good.

best way to take them: orally.

i dont see the point in shooting them or snorting them besides the fact you get to use a needle or shove shit up your nose

I've heard of this causing seizures..... and I have yet to hear a single positive experience with buproprion abuse... so my advice... the best thing to do would be take it over to your sink and wash it down the drain. Wellbutrin isn't a drug you should be abusing, I've read so much literature about how dangerously low it lowers your seizure threshold and others about it's toxicity. It was not a drug meant to be abused, nor is it a drug that you should be mixing with alcohol because that too lowers the seizure threshold...

Bupropion / Wellbutrin

Anyone here tried this stuff ?

From what I have gathered its not like typical SSRIs that can take weeks to take effect, but it works immediately ?

Is this correct ?

Reports on it say its very effective at lifting mood when response is incomplete to another antidepressant, in my case Mirtazapine. Plus it is said to somehow curb the desire for nicotine.

It does, yes....

At different dosages it affects different neurotransmitters. It does supposedly curb the desire for nicotine, but I never got that benefit from it.

It makes me extremely bitchy, but loads of people get good effects from it. Mind the dose, it lowers seizure threshold above 300mgs or so.