• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants The Buproprion (Wellbutrin) Megathread

Personally

I was able to quit smoking completely after 10 weeks on Buproprion. I took it for depression as well as to quit smoking.

I was actively cutting out cigarettes. I found them less enjoyable. Possible confound would be the awful smell (decreases pleasure); the smell seems much worse when one cuts down to just a few cigarettes per day.

the last few times I did coke i wandered why I wasn't getting a good rush like I used to. Im 4 months in wellbutrin 300mg so now i know.

Bupropions half-life is around 21 hours with chronic dosing (source). Bupropion buildup also stabalized after around eight days, though I imagine all this depends on what formula of the drug you are taking. For instance, the extended release or sustained release tablets are sure to stay in your system much longer than the instant release ones, though perhaps it all evens out in the end, as not as much buproion is released at once with the SR and XR forms.

Either way, there definately is a cross tolerance between bupropion and other stimulants. I've experienced it with cocaine and Dextroamphetamine. I'd imagine that it would have even more of an interaction with cocaine or methylphenidate as these drugs all share similar mechanisms of action.

Do you find Wellbutrin effective for depression (or whatever reason you're taking it)? If so I'd avoid messing around with cocaine as its just going to screw up whatever good the Wellbutrin is doing you (that is, if it's doing any at all).

Abusing "Wellbutrin XL", any risks of seizure if anti-convulsant is taken first?

Okay, so I am a week clean from meth, walking away and not looking back. However, I am having very strong cravings for it, and I realized my prescription of Wellbutrin XL is a substituted cathinone/amphetamine. However, I have also heard that anything above the therapeutic dose can cause seizures, but.... I also have an anti-convulsant medication prescribed to me called Lamotrigine (Generic Lamictal). I am thinking, if I take 100mg of lamictal and then try snorting 150mg XL wellbutrin maybe an hour later then I won't have to worry about going into convulsions?? I am NOT an epileptic, this anti convulsant was prescribed to me to prevent me from going "manic" while taking wellbutrin. I want to see if I can feel the so called "buzz" some people claim to feel after railing one of these pills...

I think it's a bad idea to try to get high off the Wellbutrin. I think it might be one step closer to going back on meth. I would not try it. I think that you should just take it the way it is prescribed to toke away some cravings. This is my caring opinion.

As far as seizures go with this medication go, it should help stop the seizures but there is no guarntee.

Congratulations on quiting meth!!!!

That's a big step. I'm really proud of you <3

Yea congrats on quitting meth, I also quit about 1.5 months ago from a semi-habit of meth and that was hard as hell. It gets easier as the time passes, after the first few weeks at least. On the topic of the wellbutrin, please do not snort that just take as prescribed. It does not give any sort of a high when snorted other than perhaps a rush from the snffing ritual. It is detrimental to your recovery as well it is almost like trying to simulate snorting ice. Just stay strong and you'll make it no doubt.

I too take lamotrigine, though I don't believe it's a guarantee it will prevent a seizure. Since lamotrigine works on the sodium channel in your brain it helps prevent those types of seizures, though there are different spots in your brain that can seizure. So I'm not entirely sure, don't quote me tho, dunno completely how Wellbutrin works...

I had smacked down 750mg of bupropion SR while on lamotrigine and I was fine. I poked around everywhere about Wellbutrin and read something like it can envoke status epilepticus, which sounds horrifying, and victims who have no history of seizures in their family.

Drug info says seizures are not that common under 450 but once you go above 600 the chances increase 10 fold D:

Buproprion, despite its chemical similarity to the amphetamines, is not a very effective euphoriant simply because of its structure. Even though it's a "good" dopamine reuptake inhibitor, only ~20% of DAT is inhibited with typical dosing.

^^i agree welbutrin doesnt provide a very good high or even a high at all imo..it just seemed to give me artificial energy like any other stimulant...i was more social and maybe felt better but no recreational value..it made me more anxious too which sucked..

In studies, people preferred the "recreational" effects of caffeine to those of bupropion so you are risking seizures for at best, the effects of a double latte and maybe a small placebo effect/conditioned response from snorting.

Bupropion is not recreational and will not feel good at all especially if you are used to using meth.

it is foolish to snort Wellbutrin, the pills contain titanium and some other nasty ingredients you will regret having snorted, I have tried this and it is not even worth it, you might suffer a seizure from doing this even on lamotragine, as I too take lamotragine and happen to know that it brings with it the possibility of seizure in and of itself. from a HR perspective I cannot stress enough the futility of doing such a thing, you might try taking the wellbutrin PO (by mouth) and only at the prescribed dose. you take on many unnecessary risks by snorting wellbutrin, you might also want to look into dexedrine or adderall by discussing it with the doctor who prescribes you lamictil and wellbutrin as it is not unheard of to use these amphetamines as a harm reducing substitute for meth. as well you might also just try the lamotragine by itself as this is a good drug and may quel your cravings by itself. As well you could look into a drug detox or some sort of narcotics anonymous group, but regardless the best thing is probably to cease using all drugs besides lamotragine.

wellbutrin sucks asshole.
I'm not epileptic either, but took a 150mg bupropion sr yesterday and it had me twitchin, and going crazy. Not in a good amped up way either, more like damn i wish i had a dilaudid..

i read about people in prison snorting wellbutrin lol

In studies, people preferred the "recreational" effects of caffeine to those of bupropion

OP, this alone should tell you how bad of an idea this is. If you're still down for this, just brew up a cup of coffee and you'll be even higher than Wellbutrin! :p ;)

Treefa, people in prison in CA like to abuse Gabapentin, Seroquel, and Wellbutrin... unscheduled drug highs... 8)

Wellbutrin and Tramadol question.

Hi all,

I took a wellbutrin 2 days ago, at 150mg SR.

I need to take a tramadol for pain today. Only 50mg - 100mg.

I understand these drugs shouldn't be mixed because of seizure risk. However, as the wellbutrin was a single dose and should be down a couple of half lives, would taking fairly low dose tram be ok today? Or should I wait for Wellbutrin to be completely eliminated?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'm not positive about this but I think you should be fine I don't see (unless you were at an extremely high risk for seizures) why the wellbutrin would still drastically effect your seizure threshold presently. Also I'm pretty sure (allbeit slightly risky) you can even take the two medications together with out the high (still possible) probability of dangerous interactions. Still not the best things to be taken together.
Of course this is solely my opinion and you should really just ask your doctor.

Why did you take a single dose of buproprion (wellbutrin) at all?

And yes, if the bupropion was taken ONCE, 2 days ago, it will not have an effect on the seizure threshold this long after but keep in mind some people are extra-sensitive to the seizure-inducing effects of tramadol and experience seizures below the 400mg daily dose that is often touted as safe and this can occur even after using the same doses on many prior occasions so I wouldn't exceed that 50-100mg at a time.

I have been prescribed both in the past and had no trouble at all. I do not like tramadol because of the large risk factor for seizures but for some strange reason doctors think it's just -THE- drug to give you if you hurt. Worse then others in my opinion. But yes, anyway, you should be fine dear.

[Bupropion] Tips from Bluelight ?

A friend of mine was just prescribed Zyban (main ingredient: Bupropion) as an aid to stop smoking.

He's on 1 tablet per day, and in a week or so he's supposed to go to 2 tablets.

He's feeling very good and has absolutely zero cravings for cigarettes. Not even when going out.

Are there maybe users here, or people who know something more ?
I have no specific question, basicaly I would just like to know if Bluelight can offer him some in-depth info on the drug he is taking.
The doctor doesn't really explain a lot..

I know I've been taking Wellbutrin for about a week and I still crave cigarettes (Same dose as your friend). Not only is Bupropion an anti-depressant, it is also used as smoking cessation. After you gather insight from the members here, I would google Bupropion and check the Wikepedia entry as well! Good luck!