View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

David Nutt announces research on 'synthetic alcohol'

buzzmarlie

Bluelighter
Why you could be drinking healthy
alcohol in 3 years

Here's to the beers ... will they be replaced with David Nutt's risk-free booze?

By PROFESSOR DAVID NUTT

A SUBSTANCE said to give the feeling of booze without the health risks is being developed by controversial ex Government drugs tsar Professor David Nutt. The solution is added to liquid. It is claimed anyone using it will get the alcohol high without the hangover or deadly liver damage. There is even an antidote which would allow a user to DRIVE home after taking it. Here, the scientist - recently sacked as chairman of the independent Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs after saying ecstasy is safer than alcohol - gives the reason for the innovation.

WE have been poisoning ourselves for 2,000 years. Modern science can now provide a safer way for us to have fun.
Extraordinary claims ... Professor David Nutt

I am working on a prototype of a synthetic alcohol. We can make someone feel pleasantly inebriated then reverse it.

We have a partial alternative tested on volunteers. With Government backing, the first ever synthetic alcohol could be available in three to five years.

The potential for this is enormous. It could slash Britain's binge drinking epidemic, which currently costs the NHS £3billion a year, and reduce the number of deaths from alcohol poisoning.

At the moment it is very hard to treat alcohol poisoning - medics simply have to wait for booze to clear the system.

With the new approach, they would have an antidote available immediately.

Law enforcement could even have the antidote to use on revellers who have used the solution. We could get rid of liver cirrhosis, stomach ulcers, cardiac problems and a huge number of the toxic effects.

We have worked out how alcohol affects the brain and can target these areas. We gave one volunteer a substance similar to Valium, which is a sedative.

The feeling was similar to being drunk. We then reversed this.
We have the knowledge to make a far superior synthetic alcohol. But this project is hard to progress.

Firstly, there is little external interest, perhaps because people think this idea is too radical.

Secondly, selling the substance would be difficult. It would be classified as a drug and would fall foul of drug laws.

This is why we need Government support. Alcohol manufacturers may also protest.

At the moment we don't have a sensible approach to alcohol - it's time for a discussion about safe alternatives.

You are never going to stop people enjoying a drink. But if they are going to drink, let them do it without the terrible risks of alcohol.

I believe in 25 years we could be drinking high-quality, safe alcohol.
Hopefully in the future people will raise a toast over my grave with a glass of synthetic .

Here is the link http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...n-3-years.html and it was published yesterday

If anyone's interested, here is a link to a recent documentary "Do I Drink Too Much?" it features Professor David Nutt & his synthetic alcohol alternative.

Alcohol is by far the most widely used drug - and a dangerous one at that. So why are so many of us drinking over the recommended limits?

Why does alcohol have such a powerful grip on us? How much of our relationship with this drug is written in our genes? What are the real dangers of our children drinking too young?

Addiction expert John Marsden, who likes a drink, makes a professional and personal exploration of our relationship with alcohol. He undergoes physical and neurological examinations to determine its impact, and finds out why some people will find it much harder than others to resist alcohol. Even at the age of 14 there may be a way of determining which healthy children will turn into addicts.

John experiments with a designer drug being developed that hopes to replicate all the benefits of alcohol without the dangers. Could this drug replace alcohol in the future?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ndtxm

Alcohol manufacturers may also protest.

D'ya reckon? :)

Not that I'm a big fan, but I already have an alternative to alcohol - it's called GBL.

We already have one. Its called GHB.

ohh LOL..sorry I should have read the second post.
We said almost the same thing.lol

WE have been poisoning ourselves for 2,000 years.

I am working on a prototype of a synthetic alcohol. We can make someone feel pleasantly inebriated then reverse it.

"liquid bread" (aka BEER) has been around for longer than "civilization", for at least 8000-10000 years (opium cultivation is at least that old as well).

also, there are already plenty of "synthetic alcohols." its just that none of them have the same effect as good ol' Ethyl Alcohol. i think basically all of them but EtOH are incredibly toxic. iPOH will kill you, MOH will make you go blind (well that one is natural, iPOH might be too i cant remember...), and then there's countless other alcohols...

and yeah there already is a non-toxic drug that gives similar effects to alcohol only much better, and its called GHB.

i dont get why synthetic alcohol could be anymore socially acceptable then synthetic cannabinoids

"liquid bread" (aka BEER) has been around for longer than "civilization", for at least 8000-10000 years (opium cultivation is at least that old as well).

also, there are already plenty of "synthetic alcohols." its just that none of them have the same effect as good ol' Ethyl Alcohol. i think basically all of them but EtOH are incredibly toxic. iPOH will kill you, MOH will make you go blind (well that one is natural, iPOH might be too i cant remember...), and then there's countless other alcohols...

and yeah there already is a non-toxic drug that gives similar effects to alcohol only much better, and its called GHB.

what he is talking about is a bezo derivative which should give similar effects to alcohol.

LOL I'm in good company with all you guys, first thing I thought when reading this title was that it would be a ghb article

Pretty sweet idea, the antidote factor alone makes this worth looking into! That could have a HUGE impact on the world. No more reason to 'have' to drive home drunk? Hell, people could get so much more fucked up at the bar and spend way more money, then drive home safe and not kill people. Win WIN!

I have a strange feeling that he's just working on a GHB analogue.

With Government backing, the first ever synthetic alcohol could be available in three to five years.

In the meantime let us have legal ecstasy.

Alcohol manufacturers may also protest.

I hope Professor David Nutt is careful out there. The beer truck drivers will place him on their hit list.

Part of the problem with his "antidote" was that it'll block the effects of the "synthetic alcohol" but its shorter acting, so it'll wear off before the intoxicating drug will and you'll be wasted again.

Kind of like narcan + heroin. So you wouldnt exactly be fit to drive afterwards cause it would wear off and you'd be still be fucked.

Least thats what I gathered when I saw a docu about him and his new drug.

It would be nice if they gave us even a little bit of pharmacological information about this "synthetic alcohol", like for instance what the fuck is this stuff even called??

It would be nice if they gave us even a little bit of pharmacological information about this "synthetic alcohol", like for instance what the fuck is this stuff even called??

Well, it was referenced from the U.K's least credible news source 'the sun'. :\

David Nutt from the University of Bristol has suggested bretazenil as a possible base from which to make a better social drug, as it displays several of the positive effects of alcohol intoxication such as relaxation and sociability, but without the bad effects such as aggression, amnesia, nausea, loss of coordination, liver disease and brain damage. The effects of bretazenil can also be quickly reversed by the action of flumazenil, which is used as an antidote to benzodiazepine overdose,[1] in contrast to alcohol for which there is no effective and reliable antidote.

Looks like you found the starter molecule, I wonder what they're doing to it?

I don't know about you guys, but a few months of GHB addiction have destroyed me faaaar more than several years of Alcohol.

That said, I can't wait to see Nutt's new innovation. I bet it will be as laughable as all his other antiques.

similar to that line of thought jammy, i have been thinking "oh great, another GABA agonist for people to become dependent on. only this one will be actively pushed, because tis 'safer' which will lead to more addictions than before :\ "

i'm more interested in the "antidote," especially if tis a reverse gaba agonist. i'm curious to find out if reverse agonists for other NT systems have the same kind of 'reversal' effects as the reverse mu agonist.