Bluelight

Thread: Adderall to Desoxyn Equivalent Dosage???

1. Collapse Details
    Adderall to Desoxyn Equivalent Dosage??? 
    Ive done searches both here on BL and on google and oddly I cant seem to find an answer to this.
    Does anyone have an approximate equivalent dosage between adderall and desoxyn?

For instance, if one were to normally take 40mg of adderall IR, what would be a similar dosage for desoxyn?

I know that desoxyn behaves differently from adderall in that there are far less PNS effects and a greater dopamine release, but if someone could provide an estimation of what an equivalent dose of desoxyn would be for about 40mg of adderall, that would be great. Thanks-DG

EDIT: Also, I have heard mixed reports regarding the effectiveness of snorting desoxyn. Some have said that very little is absorbed when snorting desoxyn and so alot is wasted. Other people seem to swear by snorting the stuff. Anyone know for sure about this?
    Last edited by daddysgone; 04-11-2009 at 22:54.

2. Collapse Details

I was prescribed 20mg Desoxyn a day for around 2.5 years, and I was switched to it from 35mg of Dexedrine a day and still found the Desoxyn a bit stronger. 35mg of Dexedrine is equipotent to probably 40-45mg of Adderall, so that's a rough number for you. It's hard to make a direct comparison, though, because the feeling between the two (d,-amp vs. d,-methamp) is quite different.

Edit: Some people I know like to snort Desoxyn and found it effective, although I only ever used it orally or IV (which, contrary to what you might hear, IS effective)

3. Collapse Details

Its kind of a waste of the desoxyn, its subtle and needs to be dosed moderate-high...

The comedown will be worse...

4. Collapse Details

Desoxyn has the benefit of lasting a lot longer than other pharmaceutical amphetamines such as Adderall or Dexedrine, despite it only being available in 5mg instant-release tablets. I took 10mg (2x5mg) in the morning and the same dose in the afternoon, but my morning dose didn't wear off for around 8 hours, so I wouldn't even start to be coming down before I took my afternoon dose (I took my AM dose around 9AM and re-dosed around 3PM).

To give some perspective, because it is different for everyone, here's a list of the other amphetamines I've been prescribed, the dose, and how long it lasted.
    Desoxyn (d,-methamphetamine): 10mg (2x5mg tabs) 7-8 hours
    Dexedrine Spansules (d,-amphetamine ER): 15mg (1x15mg capsules) 6-8 hours
    Dexedrine IR (d,-amphetamine): 10mg (1x10mg tabs) 4-5 hours
    Adderall XR (racemic amphetamine ER): 20mg (1x20mg capsules) 9-10 hours
    Adderall IR (racemic amphetamine): 20mg (1x20mg tabs) 4-5 hours
    Ritalin (methylphenidate): 20mg (1x20mg tabs) 5 hours
    Ritalin LA (methylphenidate ER): 20mg (1x20mg tabs) 8-10 hours
    Concerta (methylphenidate ER): 54mg (1x54mg tabs) 10-12 hours

Desoxyn can easily last "too long" if dosed too late in the day, and while it doesn't give the same physical "tweaky" effects caused by racemic amphetamine, methylphenidate, and, to a degree, dextroamphetamine, it will still keep you up for a long while.

Wow, sorry to ramble on so much. Hopefully this helped answer your questions, and if you have any more regarding Desoxyn or other ADD medications, feel free to ask and I should be able to help.

5. Collapse Details

I wonder how potent d-meth truly is as a serotonergic neurotoxin when taken in daily 10-15mg doses....

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by negrogesic View Post
    I wonder how potent d-meth truly is as a serotonergic neurotoxin when taken in daily 10-15mg doses....
    d-meth is neurotoxic to dopaminergic neurons primarily. It's quite effective in causing neurotoxic effects because of the amount of dopamine that is released as a result of it, mainly of concern in the substantia nigra. Even at low dosages, it will likely accelerate the death of these cells beyond normal levels.

7. Collapse Details

Somewhere between Eden and North Utopia. Somewhere beneath the astral plain
    I was prescribed Desoxyn for roughly 2.5 years at a max of 30mg (2x tabs three times a day). I started at 5mg x3 times daily but at 10mg (vs. single dose of 5mg) I found it most effective for my symptoms. I was on the same dose of 30mg/daily for 2 years and I never needed to increase my dose; tolerance didn't increase every 4 months or so like all other of the amphetamine/amphetamine-type medications. The following are questions to your answers from personal experience:

Q: if one were to normally take 40mg of adderall IR, what would be a similar dosage for desoxyn?

A: In my opinion roughly 20mg (10mg Adderall = 5mg Desoxyn). Although its sort of tough to answer that question, its like comparing Methylphenidate to amphetamines.

Q: Also, I have heard mixed reports regarding the effectiveness of snorting desoxyn. Some have said that very little is absorbed when snorting desoxyn and so is alot wasted. Other people seem to swear by snorting the stuff. Anyone know for sure about this?

A: I insufflated only on rare occasions because I didn't want to increase tolerance. WHEN I DID though, 10mg WOULD GET ME HIGH! Very talkative, social, colors slightly brighter, very comfortable body warmth! Very mild physical side effects and not bad comedown. Once again though, I didn't do it too much.

I'd like to make my own PERSONAL chart like nleksan did (my dose of Adderall was just increased and feel very concentrated) All the meds I've been prescribed; my max dose prescribed, their length and MY opinion of equivalent dose of 10mg Desoxyn:

Adderall IR (dextroamphetamine/amphetamine salts): 5mg / length: 5 hours (approx) / max dose prescribed: 60mg
    Adderall XR (extended release d/l amphetamine salts): can't compare XR meds / length: 7 hours / max dose prescribed: 60mg
    Concerta (extended release methylphenidate): can't compare XR meds / length: 8-9 hours / max dose prescribed: 60mg
    Desoxyn (d-methamphetamine) can't compare XR meds / length: 7 hours / max dose prescribed: 60mg
    I was prescribed Desoxyn for roughly 2.5 years at a max of 30mg (2x tabs three times a day). I started at 5mg x3 times daily but at 10mg (vs. single dose of 5mg) I found it most effective for my symptoms. I was on the same dose of 30mg/daily for 2 years and I never needed to increase my dose; tolerance didn't increase every 4 months or so like all other of the amphetamine/amphetamine-type medications. The following are questions to your answers from personal experience:

Q: if one were to normally take 40mg of adderall IR, what would be a similar dosage for desoxyn?
    A: In my opinion roughly 20mg (10mg Adderall = 5mg Desoxyn). Although its sort of tough to answer that question, its like comparing Methylphenidate to amphetamines.

Q: Also, I have heard mixed reports regarding the effectiveness of snorting desoxyn. Some have said that very little is absorbed when snorting desoxyn and so is alot wasted. Other people seem to swear by snorting the stuff. Anyone know for sure about this?
    A: I insufflated only on rare occasions because I didn't want to increase tolerance. WHEN I DID though, 10mg WOULD GET ME HIGH! Very talkative, social, colors slightly brighter, very comfortable body warmth! Very mild physical side effects and not bad comedown. Once again though, I didn't do it too much.

I'd like to make my own PERSONAL chart like nleksan did (my dose of Adderall was just increased and feel very concentrated) All the meds I've been prescribed; my max dose prescribed, their length and MY opinion of equivalent dose of 10mg Desoxyn:

Adderall IR (dextroamphetamine/amphetamine salts): 5mg / length: 5 hours (approx) / max dose prescribed: 60mg
    Adderall XR (extended release d/l amphetamine salts): can't compare XR meds / length: 7 hours / max dose prescribed: 60mg
    Concerta (extended release methylphenidate): can't compare XR meds / length: 8-9 hours / max dose prescribed: 60mg
    Desoxyn (d-methamphetamine): 10mg / length: 5 hours / max prescribed 30mg
    Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): 10mg / length: 4 hours / max prescribed 45mg
    Dexedrine Spansule (dextroamphetamine extended release) can't compare XR meds / length: 6 hours / max prescribed 45mg
    Focalin (dexmethylphenidate): 5mg / length: 4 hours / max dose prescribed: 20mg
    Ritalin (methylphenidate): 2.5mg / length: 2.5 hours / max dose prescribed: 45mg
    Ritalin SR (extended release methylphenidate): can't compare XR meds / length: 5 hours / max prescribed: 60mg
    Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate): 70mg XR equivalent 30mg Adderall XR / length: 11 hours / max prescribed: 70mg

the only ADD medication that I believe I haven't been prescribed is Focalin XR (EDIT: and the methylphenidate patch) but that is my own personal opinion on equivalent dosages.
    Last edited by K'd-OUT-in-AZ; 06-11-2009 at 04:33.

8. Collapse Details

That's similar to what i'd get without tolerance, tho with any tolerance (as i have now) it's like this:

Adderall IR 30mg: 2.5~3hrs (orally, rectally); 1.5~2hrs (intranasally)
    Vyvanse (lisdexamphetamine) 70mg: 3~5hrs (the last hour is crashing)

Focalin IR 10mg: 1.5~2.5hrs (regardless of MOA)

Unfortunately that's all i've tried in the last 3.5yrs. Hope to try Desoxyn one day if it's at all like the d-methamp i've consumed on and off.. i.e small doses are so effective there's little need to re-dose so frequently and tolerance doesn't hit you in the face like with d(l)-amp