• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long does it take a physical addiction to oxycodone to develop?

psytaco

Bluelighter
Sorry if this has been asked before. I've recently gotten my hands on some oxycodone and have been using it at night time. I don't exceed 40 to 50mg a night.
i was wondering, if i use it most days (or everyday), how long does it take for a physical addiction to take place? I know that this comes down to individual differences alot, but I'm concerned as to how long it would take before I suffered withdrawal symptoms.
I do enjoy it alot, and find myself topping up doses quite regularly once I start. If I had a large quantity I don't think it would be hard for me to become addicted to it. fortunately, I only have 3 80mg tablets left, so i won't get anymore after this becasue I'm worried about getting addicted.

40 to 50 mg is a LOT for someone with no physical dependence. if you dont already have an addiction, youre about to get one soon. it takes about a month of steady opiate use to develop a physical dependency, but youre well on your way with your dosages. quit while youre ahead buddy.

the first time i got truly sick was after about a weeks usage (heroin, however). i had been "chipping" for over a year though and had previously experience discomfort from using a couple days in a row. i would say if you have used a week straight or so, you are going to have some WDs.

oh and ditto, 50 mg still does a lil something for me- so it sounds like you already have a nice habit started.

if you were to keep on with the regime you've got going at the moment then it would be likely for you to have built up a physical dependence within 2-3 weeks, by a month it will be a sure bet. with the dosages you're taking it's likely to be on the shorter end of the scale. a few weeks of use wouldn't have you shitting and pissing your pants every 10 mins but you'll definitely feel the discomforts of an opiate withdrawal; sweating, nausea, insomnia, muscle aches, cramps, etcetera etcetera.

since this is a basic question i'll move this over to BDD for you. you'll find a lot of useful threads throughout OD with the search function as well:) and don't forget the OD Directory.

Addiction to oxycodone, as well as all synthetic and semi synthetic opiates typically occur within 4 to 6 weeks of first oral dose. There are variables that effect this time frame such as weight,sex,genetic predisposition,dosage and dosage scheduling . Pharmacological studies have shown that dosages as low as 5mg. A day can produce physical addiction in some predisposed patients, resulting in withdrawal symptoms, if abrupt cessation should occur! This is not advisable and your doctor will provide you with a detox plan, he may also prescribe other meds for you to decrease the anxiety that may occur, don't fall into a fear that a doctor would turn you away and not want to help you through detox. This is a common fear and misconception with some people. Any credible physician, would be glad to help you. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Everyone is different and there are many variables, but if you have no prior tolerance I would say it takes roughly 2-3 weeks of daily use to become addicted. Not something you want to deal with, my friend..... Trust me