• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Maximizing Gabapentin bioavailability.

Carguy148,

Actually, I'm pretty sure Livestrong.com blew it once again they really don't seem to know much about prescriptions, if that site ever gets anything right it's usually just the basics of exercising. gabapentin is metablozed in the kidneys not the liver as i understand it from the medical sources i've read. while it's true that much of the CYP3A4 enzyme blocker effect happens within the intestines the connection to the liver is missing with this drug. furthermore, i have found no official connection between the two, and considering GFJ can both intensify as well as... DEtensify? (lol) a drugs absorption.

finally, in my own many years of experimenting with this drug i have found GFJ to have no effect (although its acidity will help absorption just like colas) on the intensity of the drug, or reducing the levels needed to feel any recreational effects.

i'm not a doctor (which is a good thing since i'm high most of the time), and my knowledge is limited to the available research on the internet AND my understanding of it which I admit is far from comprehensive.

i hoped this helped add to this mega-gaba thread.

hello, ive been experimenting with GP for a while now, I have been prescribed 600mgx4 times a dayfor a few months.. this last week, i have been reading about the staggering doses, and today i tried it for the first time in weeks. At 2:00pm i took my first 600mg tab, then every 30 minutes i would take 300mg. its now 10:41 and i have taken 15 300mg tabs and 4 times i took a whole 600mg tab, equalling 4500mg in 300mg tabs, and 2400 in 600mg tabs. Altogether over the past few hours i have totaled 6900mg. Also, before i started i took two naproxen sodium tabs and ate a half of a porkchop at 1:40. I drank a full glass of coke right before i took my first dose. I have felt very little today, not much of anything and im pretty let down.. lmao, aint that a bitch, complaining cause i didnt feele a massive dose of my nerve pills. im gonna chalk it up to my massive tolerance, i mean i have been prescribed 2400mg a day for a while. thanks for listening, and any suggestions that anyone may have would be very much appreciated, thanks and much love

Sims

Last edited:
For some reason, dextromethorphan massively potentiates GBP. Even just a regular 15mg dose can boost 100mg to the 1800mg level. Trust me, it's not placebo, I knew nothing about that interaction and was taking 60mg of Delsym every twelve hours, popped a cap of 100mg GBP and was messed up for almost two days. If you took 15mg of instant release (basically anything except Delsym), I'd imagine you'd get quite a rush.

For some reason, dextromethorphan massively potentiates GBP. Even just a regular 15mg dose can boost 100mg to the 1800mg level. Trust me, it's not placebo, I knew nothing about that interaction and was taking 60mg of Delsym every twelve hours, popped a cap of 100mg GBP and was messed up for almost two days. If you took 15mg of instant release (basically anything except Delsym), I'd imagine you'd get quite a rush.

Holy shit man, that's pretty interesting. I've never heard of the interaction between Dextromethorphan and Gabapentin (Neurontin) that you're describing, but I'm an avid user of the latter, so I'm definitely excited about the possibilities. Are you really familiar with Gabapentin? What I mean is, can you say with confidence that what you experienced was an increased efficacy of the Gabapentin and not just being fucked up from a combination of drugs?

I'd love some more information dude!

It feels that this substance seems to have a long come up time, I'm not entirely sure that staggering out the doses helps the come up. Personally I've taken 3GS all at once waited 2-3 hours and it kicks in, but then again everyone has different chemistry, and I'm not on the heavy side either.

I actually didn't experience any sort of noticeable potentiation even from 60mg Dextromethorphan, but I think it's awesome that it works for you. We're all so different and Gabapentin is a totally weird substance by all measures. There's soon going to be an entire branch of medicine dedicated to finding out how to maximize this drug. It makes me wonder if Gabapentin Encarbil (Horizant), which is supposedly created for its increased bioavailability, requires this sort of thing to make it work best.

"For some reason, dextromethorphan massively potentiates GBP. Even just a regular 15mg dose can boost 100mg to the 1800mg level. Trust me, it's not placebo, I knew nothing about that interaction and was taking 60mg of Delsym every twelve hours, popped a cap of 100mg GBP and was messed up for almost two days. If you took 15mg of instant release (basically anything except Delsym), I'd imagine you'd get quite a rush."

doesnt surprise me. for some reason gabapentin has always had this kind of dissociative feel to me. Like the after glow of a good ketamine session.

I see all these people talking about straggering, yet what's the deal with this?:

https://erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=100496

He dosed 3000mg all at once, and look at his trip report. I've used the staggering method, and yes it does get me to a nice place. Recently I've switched to just ingesting 2400mg orally at once, and it has a decent effect. I may switch back to staggering, but I'm just curious as to why this guy had what sounds like an absolutely life changing experience in that Erowid trip report without staggering. (it's a short read. please take the time)

I see all these people talking about straggering, yet what's the deal with this?:

https://erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=100496

He dosed 3000mg all at once, and look at his trip report. I've used the staggering method, and yes it does get me to a nice place. Recently I've switched to just ingesting 2400mg orally at once, and it has a decent effect. I may switch back to staggering, but I'm just curious as to why this guy had what sounds like an absolutely life changing experience in that Erowid trip report without staggering. (it's a short read. please take the time)

Impressive report. Worth the read everyone. I wish I could experience what this guy did...sounds amazing.

RE: staggering. I have tried both the staggering method and dosing all at once (both with and without tolerance). For me, the single dosing approach seems to work better. However, the staggering method is more economical but takes half a day for me to get even close to where I want to be. I've read many posts on this thread and elsewhere claiming that only so much GBP can be 'taken up' at one time (hence the waiting ~45min between doses). If this is true, it must only apply to certain individuals. Otherwise I have trouble finding an explanation for the ability (of myself and many others) to dose once and obtain equal or greater effects. I will concede that more of the drug is wasted in the single dose approach give GBP's unique and unfortunate inverse dose/BA profile.

This is just my personal observations and thoughts on the matter. Please do not take this as fact or something inferred from any research on the subject. Hopefully, someone can explain this phenomena and/or correct me. Or not, that's cool too :)

From what I gather these are the only known potentiators of Gabapentin
1. Naproxen
2. Carbonated drinks
3. Protein
4. Capsaicin
5. Stagger dosing

^

...just to refresh our memories and make it easier for those trying to find this information and not wanting to read this entire thread from the beginning...
I think Predecessor nailed it here, IMO. Snacking (proteins or otherwise) while dosing does help with BA -- there is easy to find literature backing this up...something like a 10-12% increased BA.

Also, benzos seem to synergize wonderfully with GBP, but I digress.

One more thing...
I was unable to find the following BA info in this thread without piecing together bits of info from multiple posts. Maybe I missed it.

Oral Bioavailability:
Gabapentin bioavailability is not dose proportional; i.e., as dose is increased, bioavailability decreases. Bioavailability of gabapentin is approximately 60%, 47%, 34%, 33%, and 27% following 900, 1200, 2400, 3600, and 4800 mg/day given in 3 divided doses, respectively. Food has only a slight effect on the rate and extent of absorption of gabapentin (14% increase in AUC and Cmax ).

http://www.rxlist.com/neurontin-drug/clinical-pharmacology.htm

My apologies for the multiple uncondensed posts 8(

^ True indeed. Taking a 3000mg dose may indeed get you high, but staggered dosing (even 200mg every hour rather than a massive bolus) is way more effective.

gabapentin just is not valuable enough to even entertain the thought of different ROAs, except oral. its a low quality drug. people, please, lol its.not that serious. it's not like a different roa will give magic effects

Having 8 years of experience with Gaba (What I've dubbed it), some things that have stood out to me. I'll attempt to be as organized as possible.

Gaba experience. On a good, solid dose, it is better than MDMA, for a few reasons. 1) you can have sex, with a ridiculous erection, lasting as long as you want. I've had sex for hours. Literally, hours. Just stay up on hydration. 2) No hangover. 3) There's not really any risk in taking too much. 4) You can remember your night, and 5) You don't sound like an idiot trying to explain yourself to people. And, for me, I can't talk to wome- Childhood issues and all. But, on this stuff, I can talk to anyone I want. I feel like I am about to literally explode with energy. It can be incredibly intense. More so than MDMA. I become insanely sociable, and being a naturally very introverted individual, this is a welcome relief.

Tolerance. Tolerance is a bitch. However, it can be almost completely negated. I have found kava to work well with regards to Gaba tolerance. Kava has a unique ability to cause a reverse tolerance on itself. Now, kava has a blockade effect on calcium channels, allowing them to basically become more sensitive to whatever is using it. Seeing how Gaba works on the calcium channels, and very heavily, this is a no duh. However, coming across this was a total accident.

A word of caution. If you use this method, be incredibly careful with how much alcohol you consume after using kava. It radically lowers your alcohol tolerance, since kava also acts on your GABA receptors, just like alcohol. Also, Kava has a half life of 9 hours. You should avoid taking Gaba within those 9 hours, as Kava can COMPLETELY block gabapentin. Again with the calcium channel blockade effect.

Dose: Dose is really random, even for people who are used to it. You can have a general idea of how much you need. But, like others have eluded to, it's a crap shoot. Sometimes 2400mgs will work, other times I need 3600mgs to do the same thing after the same break. Other times it doesn't work hardly at all. I have noticed that a fruit high in sugar, and low in fiber, taken with gaba on an empty stomach seems to be the speediest way to get it to activate. Now, mind you, I've had it take 6 hours to work because I ate. My general rule is, 3 hours after you eat, and 1 hour before you eat, you can take your doses. I haven't noticed a huge difference with staggering. Though, I am trying a bunch of random stuff I've never tried today, after taking it for 4 days. Although, I had Kava Friday, and took my gaba 6 hours later, I feel like part of it was blocked. So, guess I will see.

Administration: Only orally active. Cannot snort, inject, or insert into the bungus. It has to be swallowed (That's what he said).

What I'm trying is today is: 1/2tsp fresh ground black pepper per dose, with a cup of coffee spread throughout. Took 2 Aleve before the second dose. Also had one scoop why protein with 3.7grams BCAA's, and one scoop vegan protein with unknown BCAA content. Don't know if it'll work, but since I have a recurring rx, I don't care much.

Update: After taking it 5 days in a row, using the above method DID make a huge difference.

Another word of caution. I have found that if I take it for more than 2 days in a row, I develop temporary insomnia because of it. Drug abuser at heart. You'd think I'd learn. But, I find that the Marijuana strain, Northern Lights, works great for this. Hope this helps some people.

Last edited:
I just want to say the stager method does not work for me I have tried it a few times but I usually take them for opiate withdrawal and I find if I take my whole dose at once two hours later I am flying

I read his report the first day I was prescribed gabapentin and I must say until the tolerance kicks in he is right about all of it

I am struggling with trying to taper down my gabapentin use In order to make it more effective; seems its stopped working altogether yet if I skip even one day BOOOOOOM withdrawal hits like the midnight train.

Withdrawals are a bitch. I have found that for the mild WD's that I get, kava helps. If you don't want to fuck around with the brew, then search around for a brand of encapsulated kava, with "critical 6" on the bottle. I have found that I can get 9 reasonable doses (I take 10 at a time) for around $20 on Amazon. That's loads cheaper than the bree method.

Kava should help with your tapering. Since kava acts on calcium channels, as well as GABA receptors (Although gabapentin does NOT act on GABA receptors), and it has a reverse tolerance, I have found that making a brew seems to get my tolerance down much faster than nothing. But, it will also lower your alcohol tolerance. So be careful. I'm also really thinking that a multivitamin help with bringing the fun back. At the very least, it'll help your calcium channels get healthy again.