• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Maximizing Gabapentin bioavailability.

From what I gather these are the only known potentiators of Gabapentin
1. Naproxen
2. Carbonated drinks
3. Protein
4. Capsaicin
5. Stagger dosing

I've been experimenting with recreational doses of gabapentin (3000mg) and have found that it is MUCH more fun with lots of caffeine. Caffeine usually fills me with a feeling of anxiety and impending doom, but with Gabapentin I am in a wonderful mood...and all of the heaviness and tendency of this drug to make one sleep, is gone. So.....I've never tried the staggered dose, but after reading this I think I will! Thanks for the info everyone.
Another thing I'd like to share besides the coffee trick is that Gabapentin is a potentiator of DXM. I think that's simply because it's a sedative, but also because both DXM and Gabapentin act on NDMA receptors. Five 300mg pills and 8 oz of Robo Syrup will leave one clinging to a palm tree in the parking lot of Widespread Panic, unable to walk to their seat....at least, in my case, that was the result. YMMV. And another thing, if you take Gabapentin and Coffee, you will fucking talk so much the friends you are with will eventually, literally demand that you SHUT. UP. And I am on it now so I'm going to shut up before I start sounding like that guy at the beginning of the thread. ;)

I've been experimenting with recreational doses of gabapentin (3000mg) and have found that it is MUCH more fun with lots of caffeine. Caffeine usually fills me with a feeling of anxiety and impending doom, but with Gabapentin I am in a wonderful mood...and all of the heaviness and tendency of this drug to make one sleep, is gone. So.....I've never tried the staggered dose, but after reading this I think I will! Thanks for the info everyone.
Another thing I'd like to share besides the coffee trick is that Gabapentin is a potentiator of DXM. I think that's simply because it's a sedative, but also because both DXM and Gabapentin act on NDMA receptors. Five 300mg pills and 8 oz of Robo Syrup will leave one clinging to a palm tree in the parking lot of Widespread Panic, unable to walk to their seat....at least, in my case, that was the result. YMMV. And another thing, if you take Gabapentin and Coffee, you will fucking talk so much the friends you are with will eventually, literally demand that you SHUT. UP. And I am on it now so I'm going to shut up before I start sounding like that guy at the beginning of the thread. ;)
I have the same problem the stuff makes me almost hypomanic
But without it I get terrible panic attacks and can't function
I want my doctor to switch me to pregablin
I take 1600mg a day 400mg every 6 hours
Some days it works better then others depends in what's in my stomachs but acidic beverages and parachuting do seem to boost the affects
I do occasionally take a recreation dose though

The open eye visuals are never too interesting for me, usually something like looking at a Van Gogh painting through wet toilet paper. Closed eye visuals are always really bizarre though, often complete hallucinations that fade in and out rapidly. When I combine gabapentin with opiates I find it yields very intense closed eye visuals: once I imagined I was a floating speck of dust inside a mansion and was drifting from room to room, every portion of it illuminated in high contrast so that I could perceive every detail.

i haven't had the same experience as you with gabapentin/opioids, but gabapentin + 100 mg of diphenhydramine or 50 mg of doxylamine, the closed eye visuals are very, very profound. They are just images that pop up and fade and as the original image fades another pops up.

Honestly, if you've been experimenting with 3 G's and haven't been staggering the dose, then I don't think you've gotten even close the full effect of 3 g's.

Originally when i experimented with gabapentin, I would take 1 g in one does to 3 g's and it was nice. When I did 300 mg/hour over 10 hours... well that was an entirely different story.

Don't you think one hour is way too long between each dose? I usually take 300mg every 20 min and that seems to work wonders... Never tried an hour tho, but then again I don't wanna wait ages..

Gabapentin goes well with 2C-E... I remember years ago tripping on the combination and I would look at a picture (i was looking at a calendar with images on it) and the picture would start to animate and come to life like a movie (the picture was of a car driving down a road with palm trees, i could see the wind blowing the trees and the cars wheels spinning).

I've been taking gabapentin for about 5 years and since about a month ago I haven't been able to feel them, I don't understand. I used to be able to take as many as i wanted and would feel them but now it just doesn't work. I'm prescribed 800mg 4 times daily. What should I do, someone please help.

I am in opioid withdrawal (from methadone) and was prescribed clonidine and gabapentin for the withdrawal effects. While the clonidine takes away almost all of the effects for me, the one thing it does not help is with RLS. I say restless 'leg' syndrome, but I also experience the same fucking unbearable feeling up and down my spine, as well as in my shoulders and arms (usually one arm at a time). This is almost exclusively when I am trying to sleep.

Regarding gabapentin, although the doctor suggested it would help with (and from what I have read it is a first or second line drug for treating) RLS, it does not help even at multi-gram doses. What is interesting, however, is that I am almost convinced that it is either causing or making the RLS worse. My only guesses are:

1) paradoxical reaction. Seems unlikely because I get all the other expected effects from the drug, just not RLS relief.
2) rebound effects. I have read that some GABA-like drugs can cause rebound effects even after acute administration, and although I haven't read anything to suggest it, I wonder if this might be causing the RLS-like effects (I have varied my dosing from 300mgs a few times a day (as rx'd), to multi-grams per day, to stopping it for a few days because of my aforementioned concerns.

Now, I may just be seeing patterns that don't exist, e.g. it's just coincidental that my residual methadone levels are lower the day after taking a higher dose of gabapentin or whatnot. Anyone with any ideas or similar experiences?

So does this drug work well anally? Do i just take a capsule and push it up or break it apart?

^Finished^, read the first post on page 1. cannot be taken anally.

I agree with the closed-eye visuals here as well...and the intensity of them I found them more interesting than anything else i've ever tried. They would slowly morph for a few minutes too before going away completely. The thing that sucks is, not knowing exactly what brings them on. I've tried same dose, same foods i've eat that day, same supplements, etc.. Probably another one of those instances, where your body gets used to a particular food / supplement / drug over time...and it starts acting like 'whatever' .

cool thread so far...i read pages 1 and 4...but too tired to read 2 and 3. maybe tomorrow.

Wow I am on it also 300mg 3x a day. I usually do a huge dose which I started at 1200mg then went up to 3000mg.
I will begin to stagger because I now feel nothing.
Thanks guys.

ps I use it medically but am also enjoying recreational..Its wonderful. I feel so carefree when on it.

This paper suggests that a high protein intake can increase gabapentin uptake
http://www.springerlink.com/content/8p7w262tq223r516/

EA
Just read this post from the way back and it made me think about last night. Got a gabapentin script yesterday for Peripheral neuropathy and was feeling pretty good, smoking a bowl was great with no anxiety got a bit snackish and ate a chicken thigh....and boom everything kicked in at once and I was nodding and hallucinating and it was good. Think I'm going to try sticking to my perscibed dose and go on a high protein diet...

I have much experience with gabapentin and a bit to say about it. It's a very enjoyable experience. The come up takes a good four hours which is why the staggering method is best to maximize bioavailability and enhance subjective experience. The best way to take it in my opinion is with a moderately fatty meal and a soda and staggering 400mg doses every 20min for a total dose of 2400 - 3000mg. Every 1/2hr as usually recomended is unnecessary and makes the come up take longer. I drink soda continuously during this period. I do not take naproxen as I find it a little excessive and not worth the risk (I'm wary of NSAIDs...) when it really won't subjectively enhance the experience overall, at least in my opinion. If I have enough for the above dose, the naproxen won't make any difference really. But if you respond really well to gabapentin and don't have much I'd say go for it (in this instance it would make a difference, the percent of enhancement is decent around 18-20 correct?) And I strongly encourage this dosage (2400 - 3000 staggered 300 -400 mg every 15 -20 min for everyone to try at least once). Not only have I found it to be the best but for other people I've recommended it to as well who've given me feedback. As for potentiators, I'm just going to mention what will synergize with gabapentin without adding any other pharmacological activity. No one seems to point out that gabapentin IS a POSTSYNAPTIC GABA B agonist (some will say "disputed," at least my GABA receptor textbook does) and that is what produces it's euphoriant, empathogenic (I've noticed some, to varying degrees, increases in libido, sex drive, and other MDMA-like effects from all the GABA analogues notably pregabalin (Lyrica)), and depressant effects-- (the GIRK channels the GABA B receptor are coupled to are the very same ones the dopamine D2 receptor are coupled to, which is why I find baclofen and gabapentioids like gabapentin and pregabalin to go incredibly well with amphetamine based stimulants especially d-amphetamine) All the GABA analogues--phenibut and baclofen have been shown to interact with the alpha2delta calcium channel as well and are now considered gabapentinoids. I highly recommend baclofen to potentiate gabapentin. But start in low doses and be patient: these drugs can take a while to have an effect. I would start 10 - 20mg near the fourth to last gabapentin and then wait at least two hours before redosing when experimenting since the full effects can take up to four hours. I wouldn't recommend caution because of this. Baclofen is similar to gabapentin (one is cyclohexylgaba the other chlorophenylgaba) baclofen is just a dual post and presynaptic GABA B agonist with a much lower affinity for the calcium channels. Baclofen can be really energizing for some people I've noticed or quite transiently sedating and then energizing. It follows the same time course of effects as gabapentin roughly. But the postsynaptic GABA B agonism and the nice T type calcium channel stimulation adds to baclofen's proclivity for increasing energy and sociability (but can be manic inducing in high doses) As others have noted elsewhere, I've gotten CEVS from gabapentin and they do tend to be odd and "ugly" like. And have only occurred at least 8 - 10 hours into the drug's duration and that's after the initial 4 hour delay. And are sporadic and only occur sometimes up to 12 hours of initial dosing. But on the other hand, the visuals from baclofen are pseudopsychedelic. Time frames for visuals are similar. Note: this is highly dose dependent and I've found the effects to osscilate between lucid sociability and energy to dreamy relaxation with psychedelic type closed-eye visuals on the gabapentin baclofen combination, swirling colors and landscapes, ripples etc. And please don't use baclofen without doing research about it first. It carries drawbacks and risks and needs to be respected just as gabapentin does. Caffeine and nicotine too are a must for me. They synergize extremely well. Lyrica would have smoking cigarettes like a fiend.

I have used/abused Gabapentin for around 3 years now. Started out with 300 mg 3x day medicinal. My script is not up to 600 mg 3x day. I take anywhere from 3000-7200 mgs depending on my tolerance. Taking one 600 mg tablet every 30-45 mins works best for me and the high lasts longer too

Do you find that taking a dose like 7200 mg provides anymore intensity in effects to a staggered dose of 3000 - 4000mg?

^Not really, to be honest, I only use a 7200 mg dose when I have a tolerance built up and it's only sightly more intense than a staggered 3000-4000 mg dose. Most of the time I just wait a couple of days than stagger around 3600 mgs over the course of ~2 hrs and that gives similar effects and sometimes better than taking 7200 mgs. Plus I'm not wasting a good portion of my script in one go. Stagger all the way!

i am looking for a study stating what effects gabapentin has on clonazepam. does gabapentin potentiate clonazepam? my inclination would be to think that it does but i understand drug interactions are not that simple.

its odd i have a study that lists the interactions of gabapentin with phenytoin, carbamazepine, phenobarbital, naproxen, hydrocodone, morphine, but no benzodiazepines (certainly no regularly prescribed benzos)

anecdotes from study:
-10mg Hydrocodone increased gabapentin AUC values by 14%
-60mg controlled-release morphine capsule was administered 2 hours prior to a 600mg gabapentin capsule (N=12), mean gabapentin AUC increased by 44%
-acute overdoses of gabapentin up to 49 GRAMS have been reported - all patients recovered with supportive care.

(sorry neuropharmanewb)

it seems gabapentin does not potentiate clonazepam and in my experience there is minimal synergism.

Last edited:
Gabapentin is 2-[1-(aminomethyl)cyclohexyl]acetic acid; how would adding acid to an already acidic stomach increase bioavailibility?

Can you cite a reference for this?

carbonic acid, such as found in soda becomes a base when the co2 is released--making this a base in your stomach if I am correct.
In addition, taking gbp with food also supposed to help--the effect of this being a buffer for stomach acid...

I'm not the authority on this, just raising an eyebrow at your claims based on my amateur understanding of acid/base chemistry

edit: people do advise taking a base (baking soda, tums, etc.) with either opiates or amphetamines to potentiate--both of which are base salts...idk

Apparently Grapefruit increases absorption in the GI track

http://www.livestrong.com/article/51072-foods-avoid-taking-neurontin/
[h=2]Grapefruit[/h]
s3.amazonaws.com%2Fcme_public_images%2Fwww_livestrong_com%2Fphotos.demandstudios.com%2Fgetty%2Farticle%2F232%2F108%2F157991199_XS.jpg
Grapefruit. Photo Credit Valentyn Volkov/iStock/Getty ImagesEating grapefruit is usually considered to be healthy, but the fruit can interact with drugs like Neurontin. Because grapefruit affects enzymes in the GI tract and liver that play a role in metabolizing medications, even if you take the correct dose, you could actually get an overdose of the drug. Grapefruit increases the rate at which the drug is absorbed into the body. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, taking certain medications with grapefruit juice can increase the amount of the drug in the bloodstream. The only way to avoid this potentially dangerous drug interaction is not to eat fresh grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice when taking Neurontin.
Avoid eating spicy and salty foods, which can cause irritation in the mouth, exacerbating the symptom of dry mouth. You may experience a burning sensation in your mouth when eating these kinds of foods, or it even may be painful to eat. If the symptom of dry mouth persists or becomes more severe, talk to your doctor about lowering the dose of Neurontin or prescribing another medication.
Sponsored Links

My thoughts on gabbapentin brand name neurontin,I have been a user of this for more than a year.I doubt many know this and it needs to get out there,and before I tell all I need to say to the one that said gabbapentin has no uses I dont agree at all it can for some be great for some types of nerve pain.I take it just because it puts me on a better level hard to explain.What I really would like to let people know is if one is in serious opiate withdrawal you must take way more than the maximum recommended dose which is 800 milligrams,I am supposed to take 800 mills 3 times a day thats the max dose.I was in opiate withdrawal and took 4 of my 800 milligram gabbapentin and thought wow relief. I was totally amazed,I thought man people need to know this,and then I thougt maybe its just me so when a friend came over asking for one of my 8 milligram buprenorphine and was to low to give one I said hey try these out,he took 4 800-s and was also amazed. This drug is easy to get from most doctors for they most I feel know little about it. I asked my psyciatrist for it told her I had tried it and it made me feel better so no problem, a friend also had no problem.Some doctors may ask you to start out on a low dose so give it time and just move up.I just told her I had taken the 800 mill rite off but she still gave me 300 then 600 then to 800 in about a month or 2 so I say give it a try especially if you are in and out of opiate withdrawal lots, which can get very old you already know if and opiate addict. Just one problem the drug is expensive as said above,I am on dshs and get many of my drugs paid for.dshs is very picky about what they pay for I had to get approved by whats called the pharmacy appl. board to be on neurontin it took a week and got it, they dont pay for my buprenorphine or my soma (carisoprodal) I am on klonipin 2 milligrams 4 times a day they pay for that. I was lucky to find a doctor to give me the klonipin and soma it may not last for long for he is 81. Hope this helps someone.Just in case some think oh he gets soma and klonipin thats what helped well I am an addict and take more than supposed to I was out of both my klonopin and soma and buprenorphine when I took the gabbapentin for withdrawal,later b351.
I agree with you 100% about the usefulness of gabapentin for opiate withdrawl. I am a long time opiate addict and I recently found out for myself how beneficial gabapentin is for withdrawl. I am a patient at a methadone clinic, and for reasons beyond my control (looming jail sentence at a facility that does nothing for opiate withdrawl) I was forced to do a rapid taper from methadone. I dropped off my methadone dose 30mg every three days until i got to 30mg and then dropped 10mg every third day to 0. Dropping this rapidly put me into a state of withdrawl. I have been familiar with gabapentin for quite some time on a purely informational basis, I knew it was non-narcotic and prescribed for nerve pain, but I had never taken it recreationally. The first time I took it I had been lying in my bed trying to sleep the withdraw pain away and was having little luck. I had taken 50mg of promethazine in the morning as well as my ever-decreasing dose of methadone from the clinic. I believe it was the day I dropped from 90mg to 60mg. I was experiencing pain in my joints and other fairly severe opiate withdraw side-effects. I must also mention that I have been staying back with my parents while I recover from my addiction. So, as I was lying in pain, I remembered that my father told me some time ago that he had been prescribed gabapentin for his back pain. Hoping for any kind of relief (I should also mention that I am on probation and can not have any kind of scheduled drug in my system) I asked my father if he had any gabapentin. He produced an expired prescription bottle that was half full of 300mg pills and gave it to me. He told me it never helped his pain much and that his friend was prescribed 3000mg a day and that it didn't do much for his pain either. After a quick internet search, I decided to take 8 of the 300 mg pills (2400 mg) followed an hour later by four (1200mg) more for a total of 3600mg. After another hour I started feeling the opiate withdrawl symptoms dissipate and was able to get a good nights rest. When I woke up the following morning I took the remaining 8 pills (2400 mg) that I had. For the remainder of the day I was virtually free from opiate withdrawl and could function almost normally. I was amazed. I tried to find any other reason, besides taking the gabapentin, for the decrease in withdrawl symptoms, but there was nothing. I thought I had tried everything there was for opiate withdrawl (scheduled and otherwise) over the years of my addiction. Gabapentin is by far the most beneficial drug I have ever taken for withdrawl. The following day the withdrawl symptoms were back and I had no more gabapentin, so then I knew that it was indeed the gabapentin that had helped so much the previous day. I made an appointment with the doc at the methadone clininc for the next day. At the appointment I told the doc what had happened and i'm not sure if he believed me that the gabapentin had curbed my withdrawl or not, but he wrote me out a script for 2400mg a day for five days and made a follow-up appointment. Being the addict I am, I took between 3600mg-4800mg a day and of course ran out before the appointment. I went to the follow-up appointment and told the doc that it really does help my withdrawl symptoms, so he gave me another script for 14 days worth and made another follow-up appointment. I am now taking it as prescribed and have had no opiates at all for two days, and am virtually withdrawl free. I am amazed. I believe gabapentin is a miracle drug for opiate withdrawl, and should start being prescribed solely for this reason.