• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Maximizing Gabapentin bioavailability.

What a great fucking thread. In total opiate withdrawal feeling 90% great right now. Make your doses slightly more infrequent (maybe skip a day like me) and on an empty stomach have a small snack. Fruit works best for me. Then to maximize bio-avail I take 800mg with a sugary soda like mountain dew and in ~30min +400mg. That's exactly what I did. ZERO opiate wd. Minus slightly upset stomach. I feel beyond content; I'm in a warm cloud and feel very relaxed as well as motivated to quit IVing opiates altogether because of how downright unaffected by the withdrawal I am. I have 32mg in suboxone strips. No plans whatsoever to touch them ;)
The key with neurontin is to know how to dose. Titrate and like others have said, limit your dosing around the time you need to maximize bio-avail (.example for opiate we or killing pain) while dosing on the right light snack. Be warned, most people(including myself ) that dose high on neurontin compare the effects to an honestly serious MDMx trip/roll. Take too much and you will be incredibly humbled. This is a powerful medication, and I dose it 3x @800mg regularly to do wonders for my depression. I'm also diagnosed bipolar I and it helps a lot at times :)

For reference: I may have substituted "gabapentin" for "neurontin" in this post. I am prescribed gabapentin tablets, 800mg.

I've been taking pregabalin for maybe 5 years medicinally. However, occassionally I may have used it non-medicinally as well.

Anyhow at first I used to be able to get a mid long lasting buzz from it but now appear to be unable to. I did find using pregabalin and gabapentin together seemed to boost the effects. With the difference in absorption now it makes sense. Weed potentiates it.

phenibut also seems to be worht using with it. Of course other sedatives.

I have been using gabapentin daily for most of five years and it still has the positive effects. I'm actually surprised how little tolerance develops as long as you don't consume it 24 hours a day (I take it at night).

Although I've been specifically told its not the best thing for you to do if u rely on gabapentin as an anti-convulsant, skipping a dose seems to really help in keeping tolerance down and feeling the effects of the medicine more.

Just filled my 800mgs :) wonder why they wont let me fill my 600mgs at the same time at Walgreens when neurontin isn't a controlled substance???

Wait so did anyone come to an agreement on whether an acidic or basic ph level would help increase bioavailability?

I am finishing up my first prescription for gabapentin. I have to go back to the doctor each time I get it... and the months seem to go REALLY slow. My perception of time and space is definitely being affected by the medicine.

I am having a truly excrutiating easter break with these legs of mine. Tonight. I had 400 mg two hours ago. It doesn't make my legs SHUT UP as well as kpins did. If I'm having a bad night with a lot of seizures and I'm trashing the whole bed

I have Willis-Ekbom Disease (WED). It used to be called restless leg. I stopped getting Klonopins because no matter how many I took, there was very little effect.

Gabapentin does not work like Klonopin did. Klonopin came in and took over. I liked it a great deal but my tolerance has build up against all the benzos...tbh. :|

As I am sitting here trying to type this post, my legs are very busy. The muscles cramp up. Joints feel like the skin is on too tight. it feels like the veins in my legs have carbonated beverage in them. That might sound interesting but I guarantee you that Champagne in your bloodstream is all kindsa bad.

I was prescribed gabapentin by our family doctor. I only take it at night. That's the only time I even remember there's a prescription bottle on the dresser.

Hey, new member here. I take 3, 300 mg capsules 3 x day for a severly numb leg and jacked up s1 nerve root, making me feel like I walk on pins and needles all day. I was put on a staggering dose by the dr. as I was at first taking only 900 mg a day and he wanted me to jump to 2700! I notice some slight diminished nerve pain, but absolutely nothing for opiate w/d. wish i did!

ok this is MY method (patent pending) that I use.. it's short, simple, and easy to remember!!! Just follow my simple steps :)

1pm - 300mg gaba + soda + crackers + 1/2 pill aleve
1:15pm - 300mg gaba + soda + crackers
1:30pm - 300mg gaba + soda +1/2 pill aleve

Repeat this order until you have reached your desired dose (15 minute intervals of 300mg accompanied with crackers / soda, the aleve is supposed to help absorption by 12%-14%.. my favorite dose is usually around 4,200mg (stay friendly guys!)

-Predecessor

Last edited:
I live in Scotland and for my chronic back pain and arthritis I take 3, 600mg (as prescribed) a day... dont get the same effect twice a day..sometimes nothing at all and sometimes tired to point of needing a snoozzzzzzze.....I take 4x300mg & 2x30/500 co codamol & 1500mg methacarbamol at once four times a day....is this normal dosages ...again this is as prescribed by th Dr

Unbelievable. Such low dosages. :p

Last evening consumed around 5000 mg of Neurontin with 3 beer. Impairment minimal. Slight feeling of drunkenness. Ability to function in public. No "high" associated with drug, yet felt very relaxed.

Cheers,

GabaisGod

Gabapentin will give you effects extremely similar/almost identical to GHB when taken in the correct way, correct doses, and you have very low/no tolerance (from what I've heard anyways). I'm assuming this is due to the fact that like GHB, Gabapentin is also a GABA derivative. Gabapentin I've found to be one of the best drugs there is due to this, however, tolerance builds SO quickly and oral bioavailability is so sporadic that it's hard to achieve this effect.

Pregabalin, on the other hand, is the much more potent successor of Gabapentin and is therefore actually scheduled, instead of just being Rx. I would comment on the effects or Pregabalin, but I've never been able to source any. However, I can say that everyone who takes it says that it's worlds better than Gabapentin is. I am assuming this is due to the fact that Pregabalin builds tolerance like any other drug, has a constant bioavailability, is absorbed by the GI tract like almost all other drugs (instead of the Amino acid transporter), and it also appears to have some GABA releasing activity.

i put 5000mg inside of a redbull and i got hella turnt lol. if you dont want to swallow over 9000 pills you can put it in your drink and it honestly felt stronger than popping them but that's just me. it also could be that i was taking my doses slowly over time by sippin my shake like every 3~5 mins idk.

So gabapentin says not to take with antacids, and sometimes seems to cause me some acid. What is the reason for this? Does it just mess up the absorption of the gabapentin?

uppity up

So after detoxing from 19mo of buprenorphine ORT I've been using Gabapentin for acute and post acute withdrawal (prescribed 800mg 4-5 times QID). FYI I jumped off at 4mg of bupe and am almost 40 days without any opi's.

In terms of bioavailability, this thread offers a lot of good tips, re: staggering doses, sodium/electrolytes, etc.

In terms of my tolly howevet I find myself having to take 5000mg in the AM w/ light protien rich, low fat/carb breakfast. An hr later I will take another 1600mg with a small piece of, say, cheese. I only take GBP once a day in this fashion and skip days. Seems to have been working well, with my tolly not shooting up fast at all.

Of note, I've found capsaicin to make a big difference. After coming across this thread I began to germinate some black coyote/ninja peppers (strong habenero pepper heat).

First I made a tincture, quartering the ripe peppers and letting them sit in a dark colored bottle of menthylated spirits for external use (btw this has been a godsend for my neuropathic pain).

I also have made a 99% ethanol tincture in the same way, both to make bomb bloody maries and add to footstuff (in all honesty I should note I have a high tolerance for capsaicin, although I've heard from a few people in opioid w/d that during the acute w/d their tolerance for spicy food, assuming they've already treated any diarrhea/GI issues successfully, rises dramatically).

I have also made my own chai tea with dried pepprts in it. Spicy as hell, but when I take it just before I take my GBP I've noticed much more pronounced classic GBP effects. I also am "high" for longer periods of time.

Anyways, if you can handle spicy shit, like really spicy shit , I can only highly recommend the use of capsaicin with gabapentin.

Note: when I'm in pain, where it's biological/physical from a bike accident or from opioid w/d, and much more so when the "pain" is largely psychological such as in PAWs, I find the application of an externally induced, endorphin releasing kind of pain (i.e. working out hard while in w/d or the application of a dilute solution of capsaicin and methylated alcohol to the necessary part of my body that are bothering me) works if for no reason other than the externally applied pain, again intense exercise or capsaicin applied to skin, distracting one from the other sources of pain existing a piori within one's mind/body.

...and of course since these two methods would seem to result in the release of "feel good" endorphins, it would help all the more...

Sorry for the run on sentences. Anybody's thoughts as too all my banter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gabapentin will give you effects extremely similar/almost identical to GHB when taken in the correct way, correct doses, and you have very low/no tolerance (from what I've heard anyways). I'm assuming this is due to the fact that like GHB, Gabapentin is also a GABA derivative. Gabapentin I've found to be one of the best drugs there is due to this, however, tolerance builds SO quickly and oral bioavailability is so sporadic that it's hard to achieve this effect.

Pregabalin, on the other hand, is the much more potent successor of Gabapentin and is therefore actually scheduled, instead of just being Rx. I would comment on the effects or Pregabalin, but I've never been able to source any. However, I can say that everyone who takes it says that it's worlds better than Gabapentin is. I am assuming this is due to the fact that Pregabalin builds tolerance like any other drug, has a constant bioavailability, is absorbed by the GI tract like almost all other drugs (instead of the Amino acid transporter), and it also appears to have some GABA releasing activity.

Pregabalin is cleaner (less nausea), shorter lasting (5-8 h), more abusable, and faster coming up (~1 h). I have gone through a few grams of the drug and prefer it to gabapentin, although the effects are extremely similar.

I wouldn't compare GHB to either. For instance, GHB never gives visual distortions like I get on gabapentin.

How do people here find the visuals from the gabapentin like drugs? I find them pretty weird, maybe akin to those of cannabinoids or dissociatives but...ugly almost.

ebola

How do people here find the visuals from the gabapentin like drugs? I find them pretty weird, maybe akin to those of cannabinoids or dissociatives but...ugly almost.

ebola

The open eye visuals are never too interesting for me, usually something like looking at a Van Gogh painting through wet toilet paper. Closed eye visuals are always really bizarre though, often complete hallucinations that fade in and out rapidly. When I combine gabapentin with opiates I find it yields very intense closed eye visuals: once I imagined I was a floating speck of dust inside a mansion and was drifting from room to room, every portion of it illuminated in high contrast so that I could perceive every detail.

ebola

Yes, very similar to visuals I've had from cannabinoids... both had very ugly visuals. Like a nasty visual static. However the gabapentin definitely had cooler visuals, it got to be pretty visual in one time in particular for me. I saw a lot of red, and some sharp neon lines. Hard to describe but better than cannabinoid visuals. As far as comparing to dissociative visuals, well the only dissociatve I've done is DXM and it's nothing like the visuals from that. DXM had visuals that made the rooms I was in appear to be much larger than normal, and differently shaped (much.. .flatter?). The one time I had true visuals from DXM I was seeing beautiful leaves unfolding on the wall. and also another time the DXM visuals were very powerful... rainbow colored numbers flowing all over the wall (Like the Matrix on acid) and then when I looked at the floor I saw diablo 2 instead of my floor. Like I literally saw an overhead view of the barbarian running around the blood moor, haha.

But yeah, gabapentin has way better visuals than any cannabinoids I've done (which IF they had visual effects it was always very ugly and smeared looking. Very blotchy and even kind of harder to see what was going on, like a nasty soup in your vision)

How does pregabalin or atagabalin (or any other drug thats like gabapentin) compare in this sense? I'm quite interested in those because I have to take a lot of gabapentin to reach the level I like. To be a bit more on-topic, I find the best way to take them is to take 2 - 600 mg pills every 2-3 hours until I'm good. When I'm good I won't need any more for quite awhile.

^^agreed, nuke, a mild cross between a tiny bit of ket and a moderately low dose of acid, but sometimes it accompanied by a bit on an internal speedy feeling unlike the slight stimulation acid can produce. sometimes the stim feeling precedes trippy aspest.

funny you mention that quality of seeing the world through starry night eyes - I have some painting hung up in my studio and I couldn't stop staring at them, which ever one I looked at consumed my field of vision and I became lost in it.

last night I made korean bbq, again with mynblack ninja peppers. it was high in fat and protein, low on carbs. salty, etc...

after dinner, I started to feel reallllly fucked up. the gbp came on fast and in incredible intense waves, very much like acid more than a dissociative. plenty oev no cev.

im thinking fat, protein, electrolytes and spicy peppers make for best pre/post load...

Last edited by a moderator: