• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

high serotonin levels.. good or is it a bad thing?

its.euphoric

Bluelighter
I think I've always had pretty high serotonin levels. Ever since I was young I have always been a pretty calm person. Lately I've noticed that I have very little sex drive and would rather just hug and be close with someone but nothing sexual.

I also noticed that I really love touching things. Ok, I know this sounds weird but I was at the home depot and I was touching lots of different things, (carpets, tiles, wood) just because they felt pretty cool, and all of a sudden it felt like I was just extremely happy about everything. Like I had got to a point where touching stuff made me happy? I didn't even know that would happen. Does feeling stuff increase serotonin even more or something?

The thing is everyone is always telling me I have no emotion. I'm either really happy and smiling or just straight faced. I also never really get "turned on". It's also difficult for me to cry. Like... when something is soo sad, in my mind I feel like I want to cry so much, and it just won't come out. It's like, the part that makes me feel true sadness isn't sad or something, so I just don't cry.

Is there something that maybe could lower my serotonin? Or is it just something good that I shouldn't really think about? Like.. idk how to feel about this. Sometimes I'm happy about it and other times I wish I could just cry my heart out.

EDIT: I know high serotonin levels aren't common, but... ok well what I'm just wondering is why I feel the way I feel? if it's nothing to do with serotonin? I've researched a lot but I don't know... I guess I like to just know stuff about myself

Last edited:
Just enjoy it :) - if your not having mood swings (feeling great then feeling awful) just go with the flow. You don’t "have" to cry when something is sad - we all handle these things differently so don’t beat yourself up about it.

Don’t worry about touching things making you happy (unless the thing your touching objects!) lots of people are very tactile and get pleasure from feeling things. Have you never sat in a coffee shop and just watched people shop?

Your not alone - so smile and have a great day :)

Do you have chronic heart problems?

Does your blood clot unexpectedly?

Do you have trouble regulating your body temperature?

No?

Then chances are, you don't have "high serotonin levels".

I'd just finished posting in ADD asking a guy how he "felt like his dopamine levels were high".

You're a touchy-feely person, good, I'm happy for you.

I just don't think you have "high serotonin levels".

the way you feel is the effect of a combination of your up-bringing, drugs and your unique brain chemistry. i feel that way too. i feel like it's a waste of time to express emotion. then, i have periods of a chizzled smile, and when i come to think of it, i could really have shown it the whole time, but why? when you do drop saltys, it will be epic.
seritonin is key to everything in your body. it sound to me like you have LOW levels. like me. i belive that our seritonin re-uptake pumps have been on reverse for so long(caused by dxm for me) that when ever enough seritonin builds up in our reserves, it gets expelled without cause. when you sleep there is no seritonin in your blood stream. if there was, you'd act out your dreams. i beat up who ever i sleep with in my sleep. you probly talk in your sleep, at least.
i have even tried to induce seritonin syndrom on myself with GRAMS of dex and 5-htp with a grapefruit diet, to no avail.
i dont know how to act. literally. i just never learned. and it really is all an act. manipulation on the most basic level, we're all selling ourselves.

^ No, you don't have "low" levels either.

Serotonin acts on a level at which your awareness is still not active. It is the same as saying that you "feel" that you have high levels of acetylcholine. Does this make any sense to you? What I mean by that is that the processes that WILL make you aware of changes are alterations in serotonin and other transmitters at a certain rate, at a certain timeframe, in a certain place, and it is a combination of all these countless factors that makes you aware. Low/high serotonin may be one of them, but it is just one of a million other things happening.

You simple cannot judge your "serotonin levels" by how you feel.

hmm okay well thats nice to know. and I've never heard of high serotonin levels being linked to "chronic hear problems".

^ Of course you've never heard of this. Because serotonin is too basic to be linked directly to one problem or another.

Serotonin effects your heart. It effects your blood-clotting. It effects the size of your veins at any given moment. It effects a billion different things.

Big pharma companies, in order to sell you prozac and zoloft, capitalized on the fact that most people have a very simplistic idea about how neurotransmitters work. The idea that "high serotonin = happy and low serotonin = not happy" is simplistic and plain wrong.

You simply need to stop thinking about serotonin levels (where?) that you can "feel" consciously. Serotonin works on a much more basic level. It is just like you cannot "feel" if you have elevated CYP2D6 enzymes in your liver, and you cannot "feel" enlarged red blood-cells (for example). These are things that you simply cannot "feel".

Serotonin was actually discovered as a blood-clotting agent. No one ever dreamed that some day it would be linked to mood.

... what?? ok, you are thinking of 2 different serotonin. There's one in your brain and one in your body.

Did you not know that or something? And of course you can feel serotonin.. how else would you feel the affects of ecstasy?

^ The serotonin in your brain is the exact same serotonin in your body.

And no, you feel the effects of MDMA, NOT the serotonin itself. You do realize that MDMA affects more than just Serotonin?

Could you at least please know what you're talking about before talking down to others?

You know what? If you insist on being silly, here... Reserpine is what you're after. It depletes catecholamines.

Have fun "lowering your serotonin"!

You can feel elavated serotonin levels. Anyone who claims you can't is speaking from lack of experience!

Last edited:
You can feel elavated serotonin levels. Anyone who claims you can't is speaking from lack of experience!

You're right, I should practise getting more "in tune" with my neurotransmitters. Maybe one day I'll start "feeling" my glycine, too.

As for giving Canadians a bad name, you don't seem to be too worried about it, seeing that Harper is still in office.

^ The serotonin in your brain is the exact same serotonin in your body.

And no, you feel the effects of MDMA, NOT the serotonin itself. You do realize that MDMA affects more than just Serotonin?

Could you at least please know what you're talking about before talking down to others?

Yeah... it might be the "same serotonin BUT one is in your brain!... jeeze you're retarded. And yeah.. I know that x releases other stuff too... but the main reason why you feel so awesome is cuz the serotonin being released.

I pretty sure it's like this: High amounts of serotonin makes you feel good, which is why dopamine is released too. Anything that makes you feel good is the dopamine.

And I do know what I'm talking about. I've read a lot about drugs and ecstasy. You sound like you don't know what you're talking about....

its.euphoric - Serotonin wouldn’t be called a feel good hormone if it had no role in making us feel good ;) - your original post you linked having elevated levels of serotonin to feeling so happy.

If you don’t have enough serotonin your going to be feeling pretty shitty -now to argue that your feeling the serotonin or the effects of the serotonin is pointless (really).

Your fighting a losing battle trying to discuss this with Jam though – they know way too much on the subject and would rather point out to you how much you don’t know on the subject as opposed to giving you a simple answer.

You're right, I should practise getting more "in tune" with my neurotransmitters. Maybe one day I'll start "feeling" my glycine, too.

As for giving Canadians a bad name, you don't seem to be too worried about it, seeing that Harper is still in office.

Higher serotonin is associated with an increase in mood and less social anxiety. People who lack serotonin are often depressed and have social phobias. These are just a couple examples of how you can "feel" serotonin.

It's almost impossible not to feel the increase in serotonin while on something like an SSRI or SNRI. It doesn't even make sense to compare it to something like liver enzymes or glycine when serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is responsible for emotional/ mental effects. Are you completely clueless of the psychological differences between people with varying serotonin levels? lol

Last edited:
Well okay, I mean it doesn't really bother me that he posted. But ok, I'm not really trying to argue I just wanted to kind of make sure what I was thinking was right. Since, yeah I have researched the stuff, but many times it's confusing since so much things go on in your brain. It's confusing to me. And I'm a pretty young person that just started getting into this stuff probably about a year ago

Your fighting a losing battle trying to discuss this with Jam though – they know way too much on the subject and would rather point out to you how much you don’t know on the subject as opposed to giving you a simple answer.

Strawmen get you nowhere, bearlove. I have no idea what you have against me from the getgo, but I was trying to fix misunderstanding.

"Simple answers" are not always appropriate. "Simple answers" can lead to "simple" mistakes.

But what do I know? I'm a stuck up elitist who thinks everyone is wrong and I am right.

You guys can go lavish in your self-diagnoses of high and low neurotransmitters.

I have yet to be able to "sense" fluctuations in my Glutamate and Substance P levels, let alone Serotonin. You guys must be in a very special state of mind to be able to do these things.

Higher serotonin is associated with an increase in mood and less social anxiety. People who lack serotonin are often depressed and have social phobias. These are just a couple examples of how you can "feel" serotonin.
Correlation does not imply causation. Pharma companies use this simple correlation to sell you SSRIs. But the idea that "high-serotonin = nice, low serotonin = not nice" is simply plain flat out WRONG. Look in any neuropharmacology textbook for proof of this.

It's almost impossible not to feel the increase in serotonin while on something like an SSRI or SNRI. It doesn't even make sense to compare it to something like liver enzymes or glycine when serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is responsible for emotional/ mental effects. Are you completely clueless of the psychological differences between people with varying serotonin levels? lol
"Are you completely clueless"

"you retard" (post above yours)

Notice how I never, ever personally attacked either of you, but you both attacked me.

Anyway, you're feeling the collective effects of the SSRI/SNRI drug that you took, not the effects of serotonin going up (and btw, where is it rising? By how much? For how long? - I bet you can "feel" this too!).

The only case where you can actually feel the effects of elevated serotonin is when you have serotonin syndrome. Otherwise, serotonin and all other neurotransmitters are in a constant state of flux, and you cannot pin a certain feeling on a single neurotransmitter.

But if you want to keep your simplistic thinking (thanks bearlove to making you only good enough for "simple" info), then be my guest.