• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Selegiline/Deprenyl and Stimulants FAQ from ebola? and nuke

nuke

Bluelighter

The dangerous world of combining selegiline with substances in pursuit of synergy:

L-deprenyl, aka selegiline is an irreversible enzyme inhibitor that is selective for monoamine oxidase B at low doses, also inhibiting MAOA at higher doses.

In addition to exerting positive effects on mood, cognition, and motivation, selegiline is neuroprotective. It turns out that MAO, in oxidizing dopamine-like substances, creates various free-radicals, many being peroxide species. These free-radicals, along with others, lead to oxidative stress that can damage cellular mitochondria, culminating in cellular death in sufficiently severe cases.

Reports of negative side-effects from selegiline resemble those of classical stimulants, but tend to be far milder. I've only really noticed mild dry-mouth. You might experience restlessness, anorexia, insomnia, increased pulse and blood pressure*, though

*Paradoxically, low doses of l-deprenyl have been found to induce orthostatic hypotension in geriatric patients. Refer to the monograph for Zelapar, a newly released orally active form of l-Deprenyl.

I casually hypothesize that selegiline can cause agitation, restlessness, elevated body temperature and insomnia sans increases in heart rate and/or blood pressure.

Key chemicals to avoid combining with MAOB-selective doses of selegiline (or to combine extremely carefully, at (very) low doses, in pursuit of synergy) (list not exhaustive):

Any classical stimulant, particularly those broken down preferentially by MAOB.
adrenergic stimulants, eg ephedrine
likely some atypical stimulants**
MDMA (or other entactogens)
Psychedelic drugs based off of the phenethylamine backbone (eg, mescaline, 2cb, 2c-t-7, DOB)
pseudo-ephedrine
propoxyphene (darvocet...don't take this anyway; it not only sucks, but is also ineffective against pain)
synephrine (although this tends to be rather ineffective too)
ephedrine
l-tyrosine
phenylalanine (either stereoisomer)
phenethylamine itself
l-dopa

**For example, a couple of users reported uncomfortable synergy with caffeine, even though caffeine doesn't affect monoamines directly. Another key example, modafinil, is currently poorly understood, but one study suggests that it somehow boosts dopamine in significant levels [citation needed]. Please tread with caution if at all.

This list is not exhaustive! When in doubt, avoid medications and other drugs that list a warning of contraindication with MAOIs. While such warnings usually refer to non-selective MAOIs or those selective for MAOA, you'll have to cultivate your own understanding of how our bodies metabolize such medications and increasingly present neurotransmitters consequent of the medication's effects if you're to determine how safe a combination might be.

drugs to avoid when taking selegiline in doses unselective for MAOB:

Foods containing tyramine (most aged and/or fermented foods, like red wine, most cheeses, etc.)
(if taking an MAO-inhibitor, particularly an irreversible one, please take care to look up a list of foods containing significant amounts of tyramine, which could prove life-threateningly dangerous)

SSRIs
Other medications increasing serotonin or norepinephrine (eg (but not limited to), tricyclic anti-depressants, the heterocyclics, tramadol, and medications chemically homologously related to these.

DXM provides a key example: prominent among bluelighters, this medication effects increased intercellular serotonin, and thus presents the danger of serotonin syndrome when combined with other medications that increase intercellular serotonin. A general reminder: never mix DXM with MDMA, as it could prove life-threatening.

5-htp or l-tryptophan

a more exhaustive (yet not completely so) list of contraindications:

Listed contraindications from the Selegiline Rx Monograph:
This drug should not be used with the following medications because very serious (possibly fatal) interactions may occur: antidepressants (e.g., TCAs such as amitriptyline/protriptyline, nefazodone, SSRIs such as fluoxetine/paroxetine/sertraline, venlafaxine), appetite suppressants (e.g., diethylpropion, sibutramine), drugs for attention deficit disorder (e.g., atomoxetine, methylphenidate), certain antihistamines (azatadine, carbetapentane, chlorpheniramine), bronchodilators (e.g., albuterol, salmeterol), bupropion, buspirone, carbamazepine, cyclobenzaprine, dextromethorphan, certain drugs for glaucoma (e.g., apraclonidine, brimonidine), certain drugs for high blood pressure (e.g., guanethidine, methyldopa), other MAO inhibitors (furazolidone, isocarboxazid, linezolid, moclobemide, phenelzine, procarbazine, tranylcypromine), nasal decongestants (e.g., phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine), certain narcotic medications (e.g., fentanyl, meperidine), street drugs (e.g., MDMA/"ecstasy", LSD, mescaline), stimulants (e.g., amphetamines, ephedrine, epinephrine, phenylalanine), "triptan" migraine drugs (e.g., sumatriptan, rizatriptan), tramadol, tyrosine, tryptophan.

NEVER COMBINE SELEGILINE WITH A STIMULANT AT DOSES OF SELEGILINE THAT INHIBIT MAO-A (>5mg per day)

How to move toward exploiting synergistic combinations between selegiline and other drugs more safely***:

***I employ the terms “more safely” rather than "safely" because dangerous, experimental combinations, such as those below, could never prove “safe” per se.

First, you'll need to try the selegiline on its own. If you wish to retain MAO-B selectivity (which you'll want to if you plan to try combining selegiline with almost any other drug). I suggest 5 mg/day for the first week. selegiline's oral bioavailability is poor, but it increases when the drug is taken on a full stomach (the fattier its contents, the better). You can also try taking it sublingually. Now, selegiline tastes quite bad and numbs the area it touches...and I don't know if this helps.

There is now an alternate formulation of selegiline, delivered by a transdermal patch (brand name, Daytrana). The doses tend to be quite a bit higher than oral formulations, placing the viability of synergistic combinations in doubt. However, there is a particular bluelighter who has experimented with such with success, lauding the combination as long as stimulant dosages remain very low. Still, with non-selective MAO inhibition, I consider this combination extremely risky, too much so to be tolerably safe for most anyone.

Because selegiline is irreversible, permanently denaturing the MAO-B molecules in which it comes in contact, you will only have MAO-B activity insofar as your body synthesizes more MAO-B. Thus, in theory, you should require lower doses of selegiline the longer you take it. So you may try 2.5 mg/day after a week or so. The theoretical borderline to maintain selectivity for MAO-B is 10 mg/day, but as serum levels of MAO-B fall, and as less selegiline is needed, a regimen at this level should eventually inhibit MAO-A to some degree. I suggest avoiding taking more than 5 mg/day to retain selectivity for MAO-B, as a rule of thumb to preserve safety.

Now...because the synergy of MAO-B-inhibition and the action of stimulants is multiplicative, depending in part on unique brain chemistry/physiology, we don't know what this combination will do in your body. What is more, this combination is highly experimental—doctors never prescribe it, and a small number of people have experimented with it. There have been a couple of animal experiments...but just a couple. So you might react idiosyncratically in a dangerous way. Thus, you must exercise the utmost caution. You'll need to titrate your dosage of the chosen stimulant upward from an almost certainly inactive dose.

Here are a couple of example schedules:

methylphenidate (Ritalin):
D1: 0.25 mg (250 mics) (one quarter of a 10 mg pill dissolved in 8+ oz of water, and then one tenth of that volume of water ingested for this dose).
D2: 0.5 mg (500 mics)
D3: 1 mg
D4: 2 mg
D5: 3.5 mg
D6: 5 mg (This should do a definite something, particularly if you're not tolerant to stimulants. It does to me, and I have mild acquired tolerance to stimulants.)
D7: 7.5 mg
D8: 10 mg

Notes:

Even though we start by doubling the dosages, we slow down a bit when entering the zone of likely activity. This varies by individual, though, so if you notice threshold effects or light effects, slow down your dose-increments. Obviously, the above is a schedule for determining activity, so please do not keep exploring higher levels once you attain moderate effects. The same dangers that usually accompany daily stimulants apply (selegiline is not magic ), so please exercise caution there. It thus remains dangerous to take stimulants daily or even multiple times per week, and you will still exhibit the usual patterns of tolerance accrual and posible dependence with overuse.

I have noticed tolerance accrual to occur at the same rates as when not treated with selegiline. Hell, you might 'ruin yourself' as far as taking stimulants when off selegiline goes.

Oh. Never do this with an extended release preparation. You can expect your stimulant to last twice as long anyway, so XR formulations guarantee serious insomnia.

Please do not push this regimen up too high. Even if the effects feel smooth, this doesn't entail safety at high doses. Please do not shoot for more than moderately strong effects (this might prove quite tempting, as I find the combination quite euphoric).

Another example regimen:

Adderall (For d-amphetamine (Dexedrine), reduce the dosage by ½ to 1/3):
D1: .25 mg (250 mics) (one quarter of a 10 mg pill disolved in 8+ oz of water, and then one tenth of that volume of water ingested for this dose).
D3: .5 mg (500 mics)
D5: 1 mg
D7: 2 mg
D9: 3.5 mg
D11: 5 mg (This should do a definite something. It does to me, and I have some tolerance.)
D13: 7.5 mg
D15: 10 mg

So why every other day? Adderall lasts a great deal longer than Ritalin, and their durations are effectively doubled when taken with selegiline, so a day may not be sufficient for your body to clear itself of amphetamine.

I have heard a report of alarmingly uncomfortable cardiovascular effect from 5 mg of mixed amphetamine salts (“Adderall”) on this combination, which would be an otherwise inactive dose, so please, again, take care...and take these schedules seriously.

Relevant scientific study:

At the current time there is one clinical trial of the effects of long term methamphetamine and selegiline co-administration in humans that is ongoing. Previously there were at least three studies of methamphetamine co-administration with selegiline: one in regards to safety in humans, one in regard to cardiovascular effects of methamphetamine is human users of selegiline and the other in regards to neurotoxicity prevention in rats. The study on safety found that the two could safely both be administered at the same time in humans in the short term and that methamphetamine reduced some of the negative cardiovascular consequences of methamphetamine. The study on neurotoxicity prevention found that selegiline was indeed able to reduce dopaminergic neurotoxicity. The relation of these findings to long term human co-administration is not known, but the fact that the current clinical trial for humans has not yet been terminated is a good sign.

Selegiline has been shown to safely abolish MDMA neurotoxicity in the rat. The significance of these findings for human MDMA administration are not known. There are numerous anecdotal reports of the administration of MDMA with selegiline in humans with no reported deaths.

A study of selegiline and cocaine co-administration in humans showed that the interaction between the two drugs generally appeared to be safe.

Other combinations:

beta-phenethylamine (this molecule lacks a chiral center and thus stereoisomers in turn, but vendors occasionally mislabel it as "d-phenethylamine"):

Indeed, this naturally endogenous trace amine neurotransmitter can be thought of as amphetamine's 'father', lacking solely a methyl group at the alpha position of the ethyl chain. However, because under normal conditions MAOB and MAOA will readily catabolize the compound, it cannot function as a stimulant under 'normal conditions'. People have reported effects, but these appear to be mostly driven by expectations...perhaps it is viable to yield a very brief (on the order of 10 minutes) effect on the CNS with a massive dose (2+ grams), but so much is unclear.

However, if one were to disable MAOB (which preferentially metabolizes phenethylamine like it does dopamine), one can yield a synergistic effect resembling d-amphetamine****, but with a brief duration (an hour per dose for most people).

As with classical stimulants, rigorous caution must be taken; people have fallen into addiction and even overdosed on the combination. I know of two bluelighters who experienced alarmingly rapid pulse and blood pressure from overshooting, in the league of 180 BPM (ie, dangerously so), one of whom sought medical attention. I also know of one bluelighter who became habituated to the point of requiring 700 mg/day to avoid severe fatigue, depression, amotivation, anhedonia, and restless legs. Also, it bears repeating that phenethylamine should never be ingested under conditions of MAOA inhibition.

****One study suggests that phenethylamine is more selective for release of NE than d-amphetamine [citation needed].

So how does one conduct this more safely?

Method:
dissolve 100 mg of phenethylamine in a beverage (for me, water is fine, but you might hate its taste). Take a decent sip (not a gulp!). Wait ~10 minutes. If you feel something, you have a threshold dosage, and from here, you may titrate upwards to achieve moderate effects (I wouldn't shoot for strong effects with something so experimental).

IME, 100 mg in an hour achieves very strong effects. 200 mg in a similar period should be pretty dangerous to most people.

Other routes of admin present greater dangers through unpredictability.

Unfortunately, I find phenethylamine nigh useless for work. Its brief duration makes it far too easy to accidentally redose into the 'party zone'.

Psychedelic phenethylamines (eg, Mescaline, 2c-b, DOB):

Unfortunately, the data here, even anecdotal, is woefully sparse and markedly conflicting. Of the few reports that I've seen, some people report success, where psychedelic effects are potentiated, even on the level of 4x, along with increased duration, but cardiovascular side-effects remain as they were in selegiline's absence. Others report the precise converse, where selegiline potentiates cardiovascular side-effects to an alarming degree, rarely with an increase in proper delusions, but sans increased psychedelia. My opinion is that this combination presents too great of dangers, but perhaps those less cautious could experiment, again retaining selectivity for MAOB and beginning with Shulgin-esque micro-doses.

Phenylalanine supplementation:

People give mixed reports on this one. In theory, the body should metabolize phenylalanine into phenethylamine, and to some extent catecholamines, yielding some sort of time-release stimulation. Animals (such as humans) naturally contain l-isomer amino acids (unless they've ingested something synthetic ;)), so in theory, l-phenylalanine should readily function as described. However, I've tried dosing at 1 gm/day for 5 days in a row sans discernible effects. YMMV.

Scattered anecdotes suggest that d-phenylalanine effects greater stimulation yet, perhaps due to increased direct activity in comparison to the l-isomer.

However, the usual cautions must still be exercised, even though the effects are quite mild for most; one person has reported racemic phenylalanine to induce the negative effects of a methamphetamine session (mania, cardiotoxicity), even at modest doses.

Empathogens/entactogens:

I would proceed with extreme caution if at all. Some have reported pleasant synergistic potentiation, but others have reported extreme cardiovascular load, uncomfortably extended duration, and even a psychotic break. From such anecdotes alone, it's unclear how scrupulus people were with dosing to retail selectivity for MAOB and/or take a sensible amount of MDMA/etc. Also, such experimental dosing with street drugs of unknown dosage and purity or research chemicals lacking thorough...research is most ill advised.

I wouldn't do it.

MDAI: this compound selectively releases 5ht sans significant dopaminergic and nor-epinephrinergic effects. Two bluelighter's explorations combining deprenyl with this compound suggest idiosyncratically prominent potentiation, one of whom finding clear effects at 10 mg/mdai, expecting mdai to be uncomfortably strong at above 50 mg (this individual lacking other entactogenic experience though).

Again, use Shulgin-esque dosing to titrate upwards, and take care to avoid inhibiting MAOA, if proceeding with this combination at all.

WARNINGS:

PSYCHOTIC BREAKS:

This is a serious risk. I've seen two internet people lose the plot, with something resembling the psychotic mania of severe bipolar disorder or schizoaffective disorder. One claimed to have come up with a new system of math that would save the world. The other thought that he had a political strategy to save the world, and that this strategy placed him as a messiah.

I would wager that such conditions are easy to 'fall into' from this combination...it's very euphoric and confidence-enhancing...which leads people to be reckless with dosing. And then the negative after-effects are quite attenuated, making binges easier to fall into.

In myself, I've noticed that when breaching 5 mg Adderall or Ritalin/day, at the end of the day, I'm slightly more paranoid...prone to musing what if random strangers or vehicles that I see are somehow surveilling me and plotting to intervene. These are more very brief “wouldn't it be funny if..” thoughts that I dispel automatically in a couple of seconds than delusions-proper. It's almost an extension of the mild weed paranoia that I get rarely. However, I could see how this could further develop into proper psychotic delusions with higher dosing and less sleep. I'll note that I have no history of psychotic episodes, on substances or otherwise, and no genetic family history of psychosis.

Psychotic breaks have been reported with the combination of large amounts of MDMA with selegiline as well.

HYPERTHERMIA
Hyperthermia has been reported with the administration of amphetamine while on selegiline. The importance of this is not known. Hypothermia is also a normal consequence of serotonergic stimulants such as methamphetamine and MDMA, although high enough body temperature may cause death and it should be important to monitor it if you choose to use these drugs and selegiline.

TACHYCARDIA AND/OR HYPERTENSIVE CRISIS:
This one's a biggie, a key sign and consequence of overshooting synergistic combination of selegiline with your chosen drug, particularly if it's a stimulant. So please take caution:
1. Only shoot for moderate effects, as high doses can be more unpredictable and acutely dangerous than with stimulants on their own.
2. If your pulse and/or BP are uncomfortably high, you've overshot.
3. Don't hesitate to seek medical attention if you pulse and/or BP reach physically dangerous levels [this being where, nuke? 180 BPM? 160?]

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you who don't have medical insurance or can't afford to pay for doctor's bills, scare your spouses etc. In case you overdose on Deprenyl + amphetamines, PEA, etc. I found that chewing on 0.5 -1.0 mg Xanax and taking 400 mg Mg Citrate as well as some Taurine takes the edge off. Also - force yourself to eat something with protein. It takes a couple of minutes to calm down but it works....happened to me two times and still living :)

If you're just panicking, yes, a benzodiazapine is great for dosing a lil' too high on a stimulant. However, I wouldn't consider it sufficiently effective for a true overdose-situation, when a doctor might be physically necessary, to monitor and lower your your pulse with more direct pharmacological methods. So if anyone overdoses, yes, see a doctor!

ebola

Another thing to consider in this equation if one ends up on a binge (which is pretty common IME) is that BP medications can help take the edge off and lower the cardiovascular risk.

I find clonidine very effective for this especially when combined with the benzo of your choice. Personally I find 15mg of Zopiclone before 'bed' usually buts me to a semblance of sleep. Beta blockers would also help although I have never tried them personally. I do know they give both in OD's because of the different affinities for alpha and beta receptors which are both in overdrive. Just don't overdo this either as it can be dangerous as well depending a lot on the half life of ingested substance. They will outlast cocaine by itself for instanse. I usualy start with 0.1mg od clonidine (2mg depending on situation) and wait. Especially if used with a benz and stuffing some food in usually returns me to 'I'll live' status after 1/2 hour.

The eating suggestion is also very good. Unpleasant but worth chewing the 'cardboard'.

justmy .02. Reserecting an old thread I know.

Thanks ebola, will get this added to the Wiki soonish (or you could, if you feel like it :))

Cool. I have to admit needing to read up a lot more on the wiki procedures before feeling comfortable moving this myself. : X

If you end up beating me to it, please use the version from post 5 and none of the surrounding discussion.

ebola

I'm getting Selegiline pretty soon. I'm not sure how it would affect me. What are the days for taking stimulants? Are they after the first week? This is a very interesting drug. I'm completely lost in the literature, it seems too good to be true, and offer only the possibility of unpleasant side effects, which don't disturb me. So how does this regime sound?

Eat a meal of fried foods, such as eggs and meat on rice.

Take 5mg of selegiline. Not sure what is the RoA, does sublingual work as well or better? It seems that the entire form of this medication is poorly active in our bodies.

Are there any known dangers of this medication? I would hate to be the one who accidentally dies from it. I have read about different ages at which it can be taken, but seeing as I am young (20), I don't know if it is the best time to take this. Is it harmful at a certain age? Thank you!

The answers should be in the FAQ. When you avoid contraindicated drugs, selegiline is very healthy, and possibly overall neuroprotective. When combining with other drugs to yield potentiation, you must take special care to avoid death.

ebola

And what about mixing salvia, GHB, alcool, opiates, memantine with selegiline?

this is doable, but you have to do it right. you already have to be ON the dep for the stimulants to have any effect. its not a one time thing like, be on dep for 2 weeks or at least a week. gotta get it regulated in your system first, then you can intake uppers. the buildup of dopamine from the selegiline is what makes it synergized, you need there to be dopamine inhibition built-up.

this is doable, but you have to do it right. you already have to be ON the dep for the stimulants to have any effect. its not a one time thing like, be on dep for 2 weeks or at least a week. gotta get it regulated in your system first, then you can intake uppers. the buildup of dopamine from the selegiline is what makes it synergized, you need there to be dopamine inhibition built-up.

I'm sorry but what is "dep" please? I have to wait 1 or 2 week under seleginine?

EDIT ohoh 1 month after, i'm a bit slow this time dep=deprenyl hehe i feel stupid^^ Understood all your answer thanks a lot!

Last edited:
mod: please change thread topic to ". . .from ebola? and nuke".

ebola
And only two and a half years later ;)

So this looks pretty well ready for the wiki (or ready enough for me) so I'm gonna go ahead and transfer it over. If you don't like the formatting or you feel you have more to add, you should be able to edit it and please feel free to! Or you could just contact me here about it, whichever you prefer!

And only two and a half years later ;)

So this looks pretty well ready for the wiki (or ready enough for me) so I'm gonna go ahead and transfer it over. If you don't like the formatting or you feel you have more to add, you should be able to edit it and please feel free to! Or you could just contact me here about it, whichever you prefer!

Awesome. Thanks. Apologies about the sloppiness in the original formatting.

ebola

I've taken 5mg deprenyl for 2-3 weeks (can't remember the exact number of days). I stopped taking deprenyl 2 weeks ago and would like to take some 2c-d at a party. My normal dosage would be 25mg. What do you think what dosage would be okay? Would 12mg be enough to be concerned about the combination?

By now, your MAO levels should have returned to normal (or perhaps some up-regulated level, but likely not).

ebola

Awesome. Thanks. Apologies about the sloppiness in the original formatting.

ebola
Not a worry, you should take a look at it here and tell me if there's anything else you wanted to add/fix!

Also, have you considered creating an account on the wiki?

Amphetamines, Phenethylamine, Selegiline - Effects and Warnings

Back in 2006 I read the references at selegiline.com, for instance "Sustained antidepressant effect of PEA replacement", and decided to try it out. I used 10mg per day selegiline by prescription and ~250mg per day PEA from the local vitamin shop. I found that due to the "irreversible" nature of selegiline, 5mg every other day was sufficient after effects became noticeable, which took about 3 or 4 days. It was quite effective against depression, in fact mildly euphoric. Everything started to seem a little brighter, with more saturated colors. Worried about what all that PEA was being metabolized into and that it might be accumulating, I discontinued the PEA and only continued with 5mg selegiline every other day for it's alleged neuro-protective and life-extension effects. That continued for a couple of weeks.

About 2 or 3 days after I stopped taking the selegiline, I then started a trial of Adderall at a low dosage - 5-10mg/day, if I recall correctly, without allowing sufficient time for the selegiline to wash out of my system. This resulted in congestive heart failure, with my feet swelling up to the point that I could not get my shoes on. This was a "deep pitting edema", meaning that when a finger was pressed into the feet or ankles, it would leave an impression up to an inch deep that would take a minute or two to go away. Very scary, especially for someone in his mid 30s in otherwise good health. It took several days for the swelling to clear up.

Everyone should be aware that mixing amphetamines with selegiline can quite commonly have life-threatening consequences, and that selegiline continues to have strong effects even several days after you stop taking it, even at very low doses. It's a good idea to wait two weeks after your last dose.

About 2 or 3 days after I stopped taking the selegiline, I then started a trial of Adderall at a low dosage - 5-10mg/day, if I recall correctly, without allowing sufficient time for the selegiline to wash out of my system.

Shit shit shit. Selegiline is an irreversible inhibitor, so despite selegiline's short half-life, its effective 'duration of action' is the entire time-span it takes for the body to synthesize MAO to prior accumulated levels. The usual time-course for this is ~2 weeks. This post also demonstrates that the level of potentiation and general response tends to be highly idiosyncratic. I, for one, would have felt fantastic on this combination, at this dosage. Others, like you, unfortunately, suffer life-threatening physiological crises.

With your permission, I'd like to add a summary of your account to the FAQ (anonymized, of course).

ebola

Seeing selegiline metabolizes primarily into l-amphetamine and l-methamp, would it be wise to avoid taking your regular dose when you plan to take stimulants?

Both active metabolites are noradrenergic, increasing heart rate, blood pressure, etc. Not something we need when looking to prolong the action of DA.

The amount of MAO-B produced endogenously due to lack of inhibition during that day would be negligible.

Sure, but it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. Given typical dosages of selegiline, the amounts of active first and second order metabolites are very small.

ebola

Old thread, but I need to resurrect Lazarus here to add some more anecdotal information.

I decided to try a selegiline regimen under my own direction. I am already taking citalopram. I found some anecdotal and weak evidence that the combo was safe.

I am also a poly-drug user/abuser.

The goal was stimulant potentiation and an increased mood.

I took 5mg selegiline for 3 days. On the third day, I took 10mg Adderall under the impression my MAO-B levels would not have dropped significantly yet. I didn't seem to feel any of the normal amphetamine effects. Three hours later I took a 25mg Adderall XR. Again, some kind of weird lack of effect - I didn't have an increased HR, BP is unknown, and mentally I "seemed" to be unaffected.

Long story short, I was hypomanic and didn't recognize it. I wound up taking MXE. I went into a full-blown manic state / psychosis. I "discovered" the meaning of life and "communicated" across time and space, but all of this without any sense at all that I was not mentally together. Physically I was absolutely hyperthermic. I then went and vaped DMT and hash. At some point I did begin eating benzodiazepines but it certainly was not in an attempt to attenuate the experience. I honestly can't even remember the full extent of what I took or why.

Long story short I was clinically insane for about 20 hours, then I was in an altered state but with some sense of reality for another 12 or so.

I knew better, I was an idiot here and risked my life. But if there is one thing I would like to throw out there, it is to be careful about entering a hypomanic state. It is very hard to recognize and will most likely require someone else noticing it for you to catch on.

I am still using selegiline, but in a very different manner and with much greater caution. Best of luck to you.