• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Selegiline/Deprenyl and Stimulants FAQ from ebola? and nuke

Old thread, but I need to resurrect Lazarus here to add some more anecdotal information.

I decided to try a selegiline regimen under my own direction. I am already taking citalopram. I found some anecdotal and weak evidence that the combo was safe.

I am also a poly-drug user/abuser.

The goal was stimulant potentiation and an increased mood.

I took 5mg selegiline for 3 days. On the third day, I took 10mg Adderall under the impression my MAO-B levels would not have dropped significantly yet. I didn't seem to feel any of the normal amphetamine effects. Three hours later I took a 25mg Adderall XR. Again, some kind of weird lack of effect - I didn't have an increased HR, BP is unknown, and mentally I "seemed" to be unaffected.

Long story short, I was hypomanic and didn't recognize it. I wound up taking MXE. I went into a full-blown manic state / psychosis. I "discovered" the meaning of life and "communicated" across time and space, but all of this without any sense at all that I was not mentally together. Physically I was absolutely hyperthermic. I then went and vaped DMT and hash. At some point I did begin eating benzodiazepines but it certainly was not in an attempt to attenuate the experience. I honestly can't even remember the full extent of what I took or why.

Long story short I was clinically insane for about 20 hours, then I was in an altered state but with some sense of reality for another 12 or so.

I knew better, I was an idiot here and risked my life. But if there is one thing I would like to throw out there, it is to be careful about entering a hypomanic state. It is very hard to recognize and will most likely require someone else noticing it for you to catch on.

I am still using selegiline, but in a very different manner and with much greater caution. Best of luck to you.

Very powerful narrative... I relate to it very much.

Would you like me to add this under 'Trip Reports & Experiences,' and giving you credit for the writing?

Last edited:
Sure, that's fine with me.

I would like to write a real trip report for it but I have a backlog of probably ten experiences that I "intend" to write up as it is already. I just hope the message "tread cautiously" comes through and it doesn't sound glorified at all.

I have to say finding this site has been eye opening. I came for information on other drugs/components that I have added/wanted to add to my life and selegeline popped into it after joining. Really appreciate the breakdown and feedback here, considering the possible interactions.

I have to say finding this site has been eye opening. I came for information on other drugs/components that I have added/wanted to add to my life and selegeline popped into it after joining. Really appreciate the breakdown and feedback here, considering the possible interactions.

So glad; welcome to Bluelight!

I have a recent experience to add to this.

I have been on EMSAM (6mg/24h) which is a transdermal Selegiline delivery system used for depression for about three weeks now. Wednesday of last week I made a decision to smoke a little bit of methamphetamine, something that I rarely do in the first place. So here is my story.

At around 4:00pm Wednesday afternoon, I met up my chick at her homegirls house. They were smoking methamphetamine of course (My chick is an avid meth user) and although I rarely use meth (A couple times a year.) I suddenly got the urge take couple rips from the bong. Since I am on an MAOI I decided to do some quick research on my phone as to whether or not this was safe or not. I'm not a cautious person but I quickly gathered that it was relatively safe to combine selegiline with low doses of stimulants. While I could not find any information about combining with meth I did find a fare amount of information regarding similar stimulants such as Adderall or Ritalin. So in my haste I falsely came to the conclusion that as long as I didn't overdue it I would be fine.

I ended up taking three bong rips in total. Everything seemed fine for the time being, I had an enjoyable high that whole evening. I spent the whole night tweaking out on my computer and I even had very little anxiety (Something that normally accompanies the use of stimulants for me.).

Now fast forward to 5:00am the following morning (13 hours after last use.). Within an instant I felt the anxiety come on, my heart was racing; I felt extremely light headed and the only thing I could do to calm myself down was pace back in forth throughout the house.

About one hour into this anxiety attack the strangest thing happened, something I could have never expected; I started crying... Now keep in mind that I had not cried in fifteen years (I am 25 now.). I mean I couldn't have squeaked a tear out if I wanted to, and believe me there had been times when I wanted to. And this wasn't like a few tears, this was uncontrollable crying. I couldn't stop to save my life. I decided to try and calm down by taking four grams of phenibut. The crying continued for another couple of hours until the phenibut kicked in and I passed out cold. I slept until about 3:00pm that same day, and upon awakening everything was even worse than it had been before I went to bed. I woke up sobbing. Sobbing so uncontrollably that I couldn't even move off the bed. And the part that makes this so bizarre is that I was not sad, I wasn't in pain, I didn't even feel like shit yet. I just could not control or find any logical reason for the crying. This intense episode lasted another four hours before I finally started to stop sobbing.

Then came the next phase... Severe nausea and dizziness. As soon as the crying stopped I noticed that I was extremely light headed and I felt like I was on a boat. I held back vomiting for as long as I could because I knew that once I started I would not stop. I threw up that whole night until I finally settled on taking some Dramamine (Motion sickness medication.). The Dramamine made everything bearable in terms of my physical symptoms, but I also noticed that I was extremely depressed and also that I could not sleep. I looked in the mirror and sure enough my pupils were still blown out, I was still high over 24 hours later from just a few rips of methamphetamine.

This is when I decided to try pulling the plug on all this. I called my heroin connect for half a gram (I have a bad heroin problem and had not used prior to all this for 7 months.). I managed to get an hour of sleep after using the heroin. It was the only thing that made me feel semi better, and even then I still felt like complete dog shit. I had to subsequently pick up two more half grams to make it through the next day. I stayed nauseous and dizzy the entire next day even while taking medicine.

By the time Friday night came around I was still very high from the meth so I decided to take as many sleeping pills as I could handle that way I could attempt to sleep it off. After 200mg Trazadone, 200mg Seroquel, and 200mg of OTC sleep aid (Diphenhydramine) I finally fell asleep through the night.

When I awoke I could tell that I wasn't high anymore and all my physical symptoms had gone away. The only thing left was a pretty decent depression. I kept picking up heroin over the weekend to try and lighten my mood but I still felt very off until today (Tuesday.). I'm finally beginning to start feeling better. Almost an entire week later.

So to anyone who is taking selegiline, patch or pill form... Be very cautious when combining stimulants, especially methamphetamine. I would actually just avoid Meth all together while on this medication. It made it too strong and last too long.

Then came the next phase... Severe nausea and dizziness. As soon as the crying stopped I noticed that I was extremely light headed and I felt like I was on a boat.

This sounds a lot like phenibut overdose to me.

ebola

I thought of that after my girlfriend mentioned it. The only problem I have with that theory is that I have taken four grams of phenibut plenty of other times without incident.

Yes, I second that. Is that with no tolerance build up? I know people who just start at 8 and the increased (highly) dopamine seems to balance out the 4 (maybe 5) grams of GABA B effect. Problem is you quickly lose any effect from GABA B when you keep hitting the ceiling level like that. Not to mention will quickly get a tolerance that will involve tapering. To each his own, but phenibut is off my list. I have a permanent tolerance anyways

Has anyone on here who took selegiline got beneficial effects from it? I don't mean high or for potentiation of other things, but for someone with lower dopamine like myself, who's had to go through every SSRI, and SNRI, would I might find it beneficial? I know something like EP, which many knock, but I found it to help on a therapeutic level. I didn't find it more-ish. Wellbutrin, frankly sucked and I hate norepinephrine, unless it's significantly lower than dopamine, which it's not with Wellbutrin. So, next appt., I planned to ask my Dr. about it, as I just read about it 3 or 4 days ago and that MAOI's, despite the drawbacks, are really the most effective in respect to depression. I've seemed to find that dopaminergic things gave me the most mood lift and feeling of normalcy. So I checked into it and found deprenyl. My worry though is that it will just "crap out" after a year or so and I don't see any other MAO-B only MAOI's. If changing to a mixed MAOI would help, then I guess that would be an option, but I'd rather not take it for a year or two and get better, only to have to taper off over a long time and feel worse. It'd be nice if I didn't, I would like to get the dopamine issue taken care of so perhaps I wont be feeling the need to try something all the time hoping I can feel better and not be so empty feeling. People might feel that's addiction, but no, I know addiction. Painkillers and columbian marching powder were both very addictive and if I tried them, it would be on my mind constantly MORE. Anything else I just found beneficial (if I kept using it) or not. Phenibut was beneficial at first, dopamine and GABA B made me so much more social and outgoing. That ended pretty quick though. I definitely know about the interaction aspect of selegiline and that's not my motivation, although it would be nice to take a miniscule amount of something occasionally. Anyways, perhaps someone might be taking it at least partly for therapeutic benefits and wouldn't mind giving their opinion on it's effectiveness?. Oh, and Darvocet really does suck...

Last edited:
♬행신오피♬ Opyo01.CoM ᖲ오피요ᖲ 산본건마(•_•)오산립카페

♬대전오피♬ Opyo01.CoM ᖲ오피요ᖲ 계양건마(•_•)동탄립카페 ♬동탄오피♬ Opyo01.CoM ᖲ오피요ᖲ 오산건마(•_•)김포립카페 ♬오산오피♬ Opyo01.CoM ᖲ오피요ᖲ 대전건마(•_•)대전립카페