• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Mephedrone FAQ

Bob Loblaw

Bluelight Crew
I had some spare time, so I wrote this draft:

Mephedrone FAQ

1. What is Mephedrone?
Mephedrone, 4-Methylmethcathinone, is a potent CNS stimulant and empathogen. It is dopaminergic and most likely somewhat serotonergic. It is a white powder with a pungent odor that originated in Israel around 2007.

2. How is it taken?
Mephedrone is generally swallowed and/or insufflated.

3. What does it do?
It produces great CNS stimulation, dry mouth, increased perspiration, decreased appetite, very dilated pupils, occasional jaw tension and GI discomfort. It produces euphoric and empathetic feelings, both hardening and softening the ego, along with an impaired short term memory. It can also produces sores in the mouth and cause knees and elbows to turn slightly blue due to severe vasoconstriction. It is suspected to be both neuro and cardiotoxic.

4. How long does it last?
Mephedrone typically lasts 2-2.5 hours when taken orally, 1-2 hours when insufflated, 1 hour when IVed, and 1-2 hours when administered rectally.

5. How much is needed for a dose?
Orally: 200-300mg insufflated: 100-200mg IV: 75-100mg recatally: 75-100mg

6. Is it dangerous?
Yes, people have reported blue knees and elbows from vasoconstriction. It may be harmful to the brain and heart as well as irritating to mucous membranes when insufflated. Few people have died; however, some others have gotten severely ill after their first dose.

7. Is it addictive?
Mephedrone does not appear to cause physical dependence, though the compulsion to re-dose is intense. Few instances of psychological dependency have been noted; for the most part, once one has not had Mephedrone for 24-48 hours, the cravings severely diminish in presence. Despite this, many people have been addicted to mephedrone.

8. What is particularly harmful to mix with Mephedrone?
Stimulants are most dangerous, but not too much is known about combining Mephedrone with other drugs.

9. What are some beneficial supplements one can take to combat Mephedrone's detrimental health effects?
Tyrosine, Garlic and other vasodilators, Milk, and Fish Oils have been shown most effective thus far.

10. What happens during an overdose?
The user's heartrate will skyrocket and body temperature will increase. Certain places on extremities may turn blue and one may have difficulty breathing or moving.

Last edited:
"what is mephedrone?" - since FAQs are typically directed at people who dont know anything, perhaps relate the structure to methamphetamine, which basically everyone has heard of.
i havent handled the stuff personally, but all the other ketones i've handled had sweet smells, it seems unusual that mephedrone would smell pungent...

"What does it do?" - you should include what neurotransmitter systems it actually affects. i know its serotonergic based on the 4-methyl group, but aside from that, i'm not sure. i suspect its dopaminergic as well, and i cant remember well enough if norepi would also be affected

"What is particularly harmful to mix with Mephedrone?" - most certainly MAOIs and anything else that's dangerous to mix with serotonergics (such as other serotonergics). i seem to remember DXM being risky to mix with mdma, and this should correlate to other serotonergics. anything that, when mixed with mdxa leads to an increased risk of serotonin syndrome should probably be included here.

of course, i could be wrong about what NT systems it works on, since you cant accurately predict anything with structure alone...

^Perhaps pungent is the wrong word; I'm looking for something strong and gross :|. It's been compared to crab though.

I had some spare time, so I wrote this draft:

Mephedrone FAQ

1. What is Mephedrone?
Mephedrone, 4-Methylmethcathinone, is a potent CNS stimulant and empathogen. It is dopaminergic and most likely somewhat serotonergic. It is a white powder with a pungent odor that originated in Israel around two years ago (2007). (more on chemistry- what is it similar to (methylone=bk MDMA for example)

2. How is it taken?
Mephedrone is generally swallowed and/or insufflated. It is occasionally (plugged) taken rectally or IVed.

3. What does it do?
It produces (great) strong CNS stimulation, dry mouth, increased perspiration, decreased appetite, very dilated pupils, occasional jaw tension and GI discomfort. It produces euphoric and empathetic feelings, (both hardening and softening the ego- too ambiguous), along with an impaired short term memory. It can also produce sores in the mouth and cause knees and elbows to turn slightly blue due to severe vasoconstriction. It is suspected to be both neuro and cardiotoxic. ie. toxic to brain cells and heart tissue

4. How long does it last?
Mephedrone typically lasts 2-2.5 hours when taken orally, 1-2 hours when insufflated, 1 hour when IVed, and 1-2 hours when administered rectally.

How long to come up on each method?

5. How much is needed for a dose?
Orally: 200-300mg insufflated: 100-200mg IV: 75-100mg recatally: 75-100mg

6. Is it dangerous?
Yes, people have reported blue knees and elbows from vasoconstriction[/strike[] from prolonged dosing (people have reported vasonconstriction at lower/first off doses). This suggests it is restricting the flow of blood to various body-parts (vasonconstriction), which could ultimately lead to permanent damage to veins and gangrene. The physiological basis for vasoconstriction is thought to be mephedrone's effect on serotonin receptors, some of which are involved in regulating blood flow. It may be harmful to the brain and heart as well as irritating to mucous membranes when insufflated. A Few people have died; however, some others have gotten severely ill after their first dose.

7. Is it addictive?
Mephedrone does not yet appear to cause physical dependence, though the compulsion to re-dose is intense for some. Mephedrone shares this characterstic with other dopaminergic stimulants, such as methamphetamine.
A Few instances of psychological dependency have been noted; however, for the most part, once one has not had Mephedrone for 24-48 hours, the cravings severely diminish in (presence) intensity
8. What is particularly harmful to mix with Mephedrone?
Stimulants are most dangerous, but not too much is known about combining Mephedrone with other drugs. The deaths attributed to mephedrone are largely thought to be due to combining it wth other stimulants.

9. What are some beneficial supplements one can take to combat Mephedrone's detrimental health effects?
Tyrosine, Garlic and other vasodilators (?), Milk, and Fish Oils have been shown most effective thus far. In effect, substances which gently increase blood circulation may be of benefit, but very little is known in the way of interactions, and some combinations as such, may be dangerous.

10. What happens during an overdose?
The user's heartrate will skyrocket and body temperature will increase. Certain places on extremities may turn blue and one may have difficulty breathing or moving. Death may also occurr.

Bobby, I added some stuff (in italics and put some brackets around weighted/biased comments (ie. the ego section, as well as 'great CNS stimulation'). There needs to be a more neutral tone.

You could also mention-

-Half life
-Metabolites
-Recovery techniques

Good FAQ, but it needs to be longer. I hope my additions made some sense :D

edit: Quoting it fucked up my italics.

^Perhaps pungent is the wrong word; I'm looking for something strong and gross :|. It's been compared to crab though.

For me, the smell of mephedrone always reminds me of powdered laundry detergent.

Definitely the smell, and clearly, psychologically, because of its fine white, powder form.

Good job on this one.............if this is the one going on wiki we should definitely include the mephedrone addiction thread link. I am one of those who feel that this one can be physically addicting. The symptoms are both mental and physical.

It is a white powder with a pungent odor that originated in Israel aroubd two years ago (2007).

I believe it originated long before then and there, though that may be where widespread recreational use began.

We should add data on confirmed metabolites, their toxicity, and their relation to protracted, harmful vasoconstriction with prolonged use. Information on activity at various receptors and transporters will be speculative--the research has not yet been done.

ebola

I think these dosage levels are to high, the first time I tried it I did 170 mg and didn't touch it for 6 months it scared me so much. I just recently tried it again and 20 mg snorted on (while on Xanax) and I felt like I was pushing it. Those of us sensitive to stimulants the stated doses are dangerous IMO.

Good job on this one.............if this is the one going on wiki we should definitely include the mephedrone addiction thread link. I am one of those who feel that this one can be physically addicting. The symptoms are both mental and physical.

Very well may be one of the most addicting substances out there I'd say.

Hi,

If click HERE and scroll down, you'll see links to TEN Mephedrone megathreads (mainly thanks to us in the UK). Almost three years of discussion and more information than you could possibly imagine. :)

i miss the magic but dont get anywhere near the same effects as what i used to so i dont indulge anymore. i mean like barely noticeable euphoria or energy, and at bigger doses that those stated in the FAQ... and its not far off pure before people start saying that ha.

I unapproved several more off-topic posts. Please remember that this thread is solely for material pertinent to revision of this FAQ.

ebola

I think that in the OP the question 2. How is it taken? should be edited to include the routes of administration that are described in the questions 4 and 5.

plugging is not that rare a way to dose with mephedrone, when I was addicted to it I would regularly plug my doses.

I think these dosage levels are to high, the first time I tried it I did 170 mg and didn't touch it for 6 months it scared me so much. I just recently tried it again and 20 mg snorted on (while on Xanax) and I felt like I was pushing it. Those of us sensitive to stimulants the stated doses are dangerous IMO.

I must agree, those doses should be reduced, unless you're recommending an average? Or a starter?

Might be a good idea to include legality, although this may not be the place for it.

Couple of posts unapproved. This forum is for discussion of content for the BL Wiki, if you have particular questions about a drug please post in the relevant drug forum (try Basic Drug Discussion if you are unsure). :)