• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Recreational use of prozac? (fluoxetine)

Somewhat-damaged

Bluelighter
Hey all,

Was just wondering if any of you had a good experience using fluoxetine, if so was it just a leveled out experience without much of a high? I assume that there would be a small mood elevation and not so much euphoria.

Also, any possible side effects? Being an SSRI, how many days before or after taking ecstasy would i have to have the prozac to have little to no side effects?

Thanks all :)

Prozac is not recreational at all period. Neither do any other SSRI's or any other anti-depressants.

Hey all,

Was just wondering if any of you had a good experience using fluoxetine, if so was it just a leveled out experience without much of a high? I assume that there would be a small mood elevation and not so much euphoria.

Also, any possible side effects? Being an SSRI, how many days before or after taking ecstasy would i have to have the prozac to have little to no side effects?

Thanks all :)

Mate, anti-depressants are NOT to be used recreationally. They are designed to alter the brain's chemistry for medium - long-term relief of depression and other mental disorders. They can have some pretty unpleasant side effects which would be most undesirable if you were attempting to use them for any recreational purpose. Most of them have relatively long half-lives anyway so you don't get any immediate - short-term effects, meaning that one has to be taking them routinely for at least a few weeks to notice any effects.

Not to mention that combining SSRIs (e.g. fluoxetine) and ecstacy can be VERY DANGEROUS. Please do your research properly and don't fuck about with dangerous and downright stupid drug combinations.

SSRIs don't have any recreational qualities. The effects that they produce when prescribed are not a "high", and to even get these effects one has to continue a daily dosage regimen for weeks. One dose will do nothing. And on MDMA + SSRI, on the bright side there is no real safety issue with the combination, on the much less bright side, you'll feel almost nothing from the MDMA; SSRIs keep the brain from "burning" serotonin, which is exactly what it does when you take MDMA. The Prozac will almost completely kill your roll.

Don't take the Prozac (ever), and enjoy your roll.

This has been asked time and time again...

Prozac is a psychiatric drug, not a recreational drug. Don't take it unless you have a mental condition and have actually been prescribed it. Besides, Prozac takes weeks before the effects are noticeable - and even then, it isn't what I'd consider a "buzz".

Wow, you guys are quick to attack.

I know that it wouldn't produce a high, i mentioned that in the first post..that's why i was ASKING about the recreational use. I didn't intend to do it without research and/or asking here which is what i have done. I'm not an idiot lol.

Thanks for the replies. Don't be so harsh, lol.

^ Sorry if it appeared that I was attacking. That wasn't my intention. I was just trying to answer your question as directly as I could.

(Leaving this open for those^)

A possible side effect is delayed ejaculation for males (IDK about females). IIRC you need to wait around two weeks before MDMA is effective.

I don't think anyone here was attacking you, not one post I could see being taken as offensive in any way except maybe the sarcastic joke about brain zaps, which was exactly that; a joke. And why would you ask about recreational use if you "knew" it wasn't going to produce a high? You don't have to defend yourself, this site is here to help people answer questions, we don't judge people based on their question (although people like recreational Benadryl users and OC smokers usually start off on a bad foot), you don't have to be embarrassed because it seems like we shot down your idea. ALWAYS feel free to ask anything here.

As to the remaining questions, as another user said there may be "brain zaps", which are hard to explain to someone who's never experienced them, and just general apathy; on SSRIs you might not be depressed but it's hard to call the state they put you in "happy". Delayed ejaculation and just general lack of interest in sex can also occur.

Waiting for MDMA, I'm pretty sure it's not quite two weeks for most people, although you might want to wait that long just in case you want to make sure you'll feel that roll. However, these numbers are if you've been on your SSRI long-term; if you were only taking it once or twice, most SSRIs are completely out of the system in a few days, and you should be fine to roll after that.

Not to mention that combining SSRIs (e.g. fluoxetine) and ecstacy can be VERY DANGEROUS. Please do your research properly and don't fuck about with dangerous and downright stupid drug combinations.

Just want to reiterate--and this is coming from a former moderator of the Ecstasy Discussion Forum (so I tend to be one hell of an ecstasy information nazi), there is no real danger from combining Prozac and ecstasy, aside from the inherent dangers of both drugs by themselves. This is a common misconception that seems to be weirdly still prevalent.

Just want to reiterate--and this is coming from a former moderator of the Ecstasy Discussion Forum (so I tend to be one hell of an ecstasy information nazi), there is no real danger from combining Prozac and ecstasy, aside from the inherent dangers of both drugs by themselves. This is a common misconception that seems to be weirdly still prevalent.

Yeah, SSRI's are just likely to diminish the effects of the ecstasy.

I gave up using ecstasy after going back on SSRI's, cos I found that I couldn't roll any more. :(

to the OP

flush them down the shitter

thats prob the best use for them imho

though iv read they cant help ease/end bad trips , though not too sure how much truth
there is to that .

i found that for me , zoloft causes hallucinations when mixed with weed. but otherwise SSRI s are useless for recreational use.

^^actually prozac sent me to a 'bad trip' on weed. i smoked a lot.. but i always smoke a lot.. and i freaked out and almost told my parents.

All SSRI's are just gross. My mom takes them and whenever she misses a day its complete hell. They're just bad news all around. My advice would be go buy a gram and back some bong bowls:)

No recreational use at all. And if there is it is too dangerous to fuck with.

Fluoxetine and the brain.

Ok, Fluoxetine is a much more interesting compound than these cats think. At doses of 60-80+ it not only effects serotonin(acutely) uptake but Dopamine(alittle DAT=4180) and Norepinephrine(quite a bit NET=660). It also effects muscarinic acetylcholine reptors M1-5, the sigma 1 receptor (which is blocked by naloxone yet is now classified has not being an opiate receptor.) Most importantly Prozac creates allonpregnanolone a neurosteroid that is a Positive Allosteric Modulator (PAM) to the Gaba-A subtypes, this is what gives Benzodiazepines, Barbiturates,and a bit of alcohol has well has countless other substances their sedative qualities. Fluoxetine has an extremely long half life 1-6 days, BUT Norfluoxetine (which was discountinued after negitive impacts where seen on the heart ) Has a half life of 2-4 wks, It effects all of the same receptors and is more powerfully inhibiting to Dopamine (The feel good chemical.) So if SSRIAnti-depressants where accurately described Fluoxetine is a Tricyclic, Paroxetine a SNRI and Sertraline a SDRI. Peace Love and swing D