• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Morphine vs. Oxycodone (tolerance?)

^ good explanation........... couldn't have said it better myself.............

LoL! It's real simple man!

It has nothing to do with potency. Imagine if morphine's oral BA was 87% like oxycodone, huh? Then we'll talk potency!

As a drug, I don't care what ROA, morphine is 2x more potent than oxycodone. Oxycodone is just much more orally active, not more potent.

I am personally prescribed 30mg of Oxy 4x daily and 100mg of MS Contin 3x daily.. and when I don't have the MS Contin it definitely seems like something is missing.. I am having to wait a few days right now for the Morphine since the pharmacy was out of them and I am missing them..

I can take 2 of the 100's and a 30mg Oxy and get a nice nod still even after taking this stuff for 3 years for chronic nerve pain.. I personally love the mix.. so I definitely wouldn't agree with the people who say that Morphine is "shit".. but it also isn't going to get you wasted all by itself.. well unless you have no tolerance to opiates at all.

And yea I know this thread is several months old.. just figured I would share my experience since I happen to be prescribed both of the drugs that are being discussed here.

I heard oxycodone is stronger than morphine

Morphine is more potent by Intravenous (and I am assuming also by Intrathecal but that probably does not matter anyways) admin.

Strong has a lot of meanings too... as it goes, no opioid. (Or for that matter, nothing which is analgesic) is shown more effective at pain relief in absolute terms. (You need to move into anesthetics for more pain control) Morphine is still the standard against which other pain killers are measured, and still holds first line use (barring allergies) in cancer, post-surgical and (serious)combat injury pain control.

Like Kokaino said, Heroin excerts its end effect by being converted to morphine. (Heroin is far more lipophilic and crosses the blood brain barrier faster and more completely then morphine, but it is then deacetylated into 6-mono-acetylmorphine then to morphine before it has any effect as an opioid)

LOL, morphine is complete shit. If you are taking 60mg of oxycodone/daily. Those 30mg mscontin WILL NOT even touch you. Morphine is complete shit, unless you IV it. Otherwise, there is no point to morphine. Oxycodone is already 1.5x stronger than Morphine. There is no comparison, Oxycodone is WAY stronger. Yeah those 30mg mscontin pills might make you sick if you are allergic to codeine and get sick from codeine. If I was you, I would sell those 30mg mscontin pills and get some Oxycodone. ;)

Mixing it with the supplement Chitosan (supposedly the supplement does something related to upping metabolism of fat cells, but that could be marketing BS) will incease the effects of MS Contin BY A LOT. Trust me, if you took one 30mg MS Contin with three 500mg capsules of Chitosan, you'll feel increased effects (it all depends on your tolerance to opiates, too, obviously, and genetic factors).

Whether you'll need 60mg MS Contin and six 500mg Chitosan capsules vs. 30mg MS Contin and three 500mg Chitosan caps -- only depends on tolerance, genetic makeup, body weight, and drug metabolism (mostly genetic but also affected by environmental factors, including other meds taken with MS Contin/Chitosan combination, OTC meds you take (and other Rx drugs) and recreational substances.).

So, I'd suggest taking MS Contin ALONE first to see how your body handles it (Oral BA varies widely - between 30% and 52% orally vs. 10% intranasally (but with a bigger "bump" in blood levels and in terms of effects). Then, start with two 500mg Chitosan Capsules (avaiable at your local GNC or online at amazon.com or some retail pharmacies). Work your way up with the Chitosan first, to max effect (to get the most out of your MS Contin, which I'm sure are more expensive than #120 OTC Chitosan capsules). Then go up to 60mg, and start with three 500mg caps Chitosan if you're frustrated and not feeling anything (even pain relief), or two if you're allllmost there, just still tweaking the dosage.

Also keep in mind you can turn your MS Contin into a Morphine Sulfate IR pill simply by breaking it in half. That way you have two 30mg Morphine IR pills (last around 3-4 hours half-life), and you can experiment with what Chitosan dosage will be most effective for you more quickly if you just convert into an IR for the "adjustment doses" mixing Morphine & Chitosan.

BTW, Chitosan works by increasing Morphine's bioavailability in the blood stream. I don't know the magnitude of effects - just how it affected me. MS Contin 30mg became MUCH more potent with 1500mg Chitosan, and 50% of the time I've attempted this dose, I've vomited up two of the Chitosan capsules right as the stomach has "dissolved" the outer capsule and begun absorbing the Chitosan. I think the vomiting is related - my body's response to too much opiate too quickly. Also,I've only just begun experimenting with my personal dosage of Chitosan + Morphine. Probably 1g Chitosan is sufficient per 30mg of MS Contin to get the whole "intensified" experience while also not getting extreme nausea and vomiting.

Anyway...I hope you enjoy your MS Contin! I am happy with my Rx - though I take it for severe chronic pain, not for euphoria. Opiates have never had that "euphoria" feeling (exception - Fentanyl 25ug patch released like WHOA fast when I was in the hot tub once, and sublingually consuming the remaining drug in the patch after 1-2 days of use as a patch - cut the patch into 4 squares, and place 2 under tongue, place other half of patch in tightly sealed ziplock baggy to prevent air molecules from prodding the patch inside to release the drug). Adderall has one time, unintentionally though.

Anyway I've been getting MS Contin and Dilaudid since February (some dosage adjustment has been done, such as lowering Dilaudid - originally I got #360 for a 3-month Rx (take one 4mg tablet up to 4 times daily as needed for breakthrough pain)). I went for at least a month or so without ANY opiates, except Tramadol.

I only feel mild-moderate pain relief from Tramadol, and zero euphoria (I'd compare it's recreational value TO ME, with Aspirin). Only took it for severe depression (I suffer recurring depressive episodes and the mild withdrawal symptoms plus major relationship stressors were beating me down, so I took Tramadol exclusively for it's Serotonin-enhancing Norepinephrine-Reuptake Inhibitor effects. That's why I don't really "count" Tramadol, even though I'm sure 99% of you reading this post would think I was definitely still taking an opiate prescription.

When I ran out of meds (after...6-7 months of continuous use of up to 90mg MS Contin/morphine sulfate CR and up to 8mg Dilaudid/hydromorphone) I got mild GI effects, such as um...loose stool (won't be more graphic), but never to the point of shitting myself like others have said in other threads on BL. And worsening depression...that was it. Lasted for maybe 4-5 days (and no, Tramadol did NOT cover up or fix any withdrawal symptoms other than depression), and afterwards I was fine. Don't need Tramadol every day, only took it for approximately 1 week after running out of my opiate scripts.

I didn't get a refill for a month because other shit was going on, and because I'm a very anxious person (Dx: Panic Disorder w/ Severe Agoraphobia, MDD, ADHD, Social Anxiety Disorder, Several Phobias, and various other mental illness diagnoses. I also have physical conditions but don't want this wall o' text to become worse than it already is). Anyway, went back to my primary care doctor who's been handling my pain management, and he had no problem writing the same Rx as last time I saw him in June 2011.

I tried a Pain Management Clinic, but all the doctors there are complete assholes. One in particular - and of course it's the only PM Clinic that my insurance covers in the entire metro area. I went in with my MRI scan and report from a severe back injury last Feb 2011 - ruptured 3 lumbar discs in my spine, did moderate nerve damage in legs and feet (can barely feel my toes), and caused Sciatica (radiating pain down one or both legs, in conjunction with numbness/tingling in feet/toes and/or hands/fingers).

The asshole doc at the PM clinic pulled my list of prescriptions from the State database (which contained serious errors, such as CVS listing everything Rx'd by my primary care doctor as being prescribed by a DENTIST, which caused quite some confusion at my insurance company). Anyway, point is: I get legitimate Rxs for Adderall (Sched-II Stimulant used for severe ADHD), Xanax/alprazolam (two 2mg tablets PRN for panic attacks); Klonopin/clonazepam (2mg daily at night PRN for insomnia). And all under the supervision of one doctor! (my meds for Panic/Anxiety/Insomnia used to be prescribed by a really good psychiatrist but I could no longer afford his hourly fee, but PCP had no problems scripting the meds for refills when I showed him the prescription bottles my former pdoc had written).

Anyway, this doctor apparently decided that anybody on Sched-II prescriptions is an addict (he called me an addict TO MY FACE, without doing anything other than looking at my list of prescriptions. I hadn't even ASKED him to prescribe opiates, I only asked if he'd looked at my MRI (answer: "uh, oh yeah. no..."). Then he offered cortisone shots, a full epidural, or a physical therapy script. Not even prescription strength NSAID was offered, despite my injury being terrible enough to warrant 2 doses of IV Morphine IR 4mg at one ER, then I had to transfer to a larger hospital in the same insurance group to get an MRI done.

Before leaving ER#1 the nurse gave me Brand Name Oxycodone, two 10mg blue pills. Only time EVER that Oxycodone hasn't made me feel nauseous in 5mg doses.

Then at ER#2 (after 30 min driving by my fiance), I got another 4mg Morphine IV shot, plus a Lorazepam 2mg ampule. Just before my MRI they redosed the 4mg Morphine IV and Lorazepam, too (not sure if they gave me 1 or 2mg of Loraz the 2nd time).

Then, after they saw my majorly f-ed up ruptured spinal discs, they were like oh shit...yeah that'd definitely hurt! Got a script for #12 4mg Dilaudid and advised to follow-up with my primary care doctor. Who prescribed three 30mg MS Contin=90 mg daily and four 4mg Dilaudid=16mg daily without blinking after he saw the MRI results.

I might get surgery (the disc fusion type) if the Sciatica doesn't go away. Otherwise, I've heard surgery doesn't much help the back pain part (seriously: unmedicated, my lower back and one or both legs/feet the pain=8.5-9/10 pain scale.

Phew, sorry. I swear I'm not high on anything speedy. But I apologize for the rant there. Hopefully most was on-topic and somewhat helpful to the OP.

I had no clue oxycodone was stronger...I thought morphine was like 10x stronger...not so intimidated anymore...

so I don't IV, that means it's pretty much useless to me?

IV Morphine is very potent, and has close to 100% BA.

Orally (in pills), however, the BA is lower - ~30-52% (insufflation is the least efficient, with 10% nasal BA). Adding Chitosan supplements to your MS Contin or Morphine IR tablets DOES help, and it does increase the bioavailability of Morphine quite a bit (to the point that it causes nausea/vomiting; something that ONLY happens for me with Oxycodone 512s, I usually just say I'm allergic to Oxycodone due to the frustrating 5mg/325 Tylenol version ONE PILL makes me puke. Sadly.

I wish someone had a precise figure for the mg/dosage needed of Chitosan is needed per 15mg MS Contin (smallest dosage form, I believe) to force the BA of Oral Morphine up close to 100% (if that's even possible, it might hit a ceiling somewhere around 70% BA...I just haven't been able to find adequate research on the supplement).

Oh, and that's why Morphine IV doses are so much smaller than Morphine Sulfate IR and Morphine Sulfate CR/XR (4mg per dose vs. smallest oral CR pill is 15mg, which is NOTHING!).

Also the low BA is the reason you can take in excess of 100mgs/daily of MS Contin orally, and not worry about dying immediately, as one would be very scared of if a comparable (16.67mg IV Morphine) hit were given. See this site: http://www.globalrph.com/opioidconverter2.cgi. Very helpful calculator for opiates, dosage, etc.

I'm sure it's already been said in here but I don't really want to read this whole thread at the moment, but anally the bioavailability of morphine goes way way up.. from like 30% to 85% or something like that, and the onset of action is much quicker (more of a rush than snorting OC's even, but not the same as IV).

So if you wanna take the plunge you can always mix that morph with water and pump it up your ass. Just make sure you use correct procedure while doing so or you will end up with a big wet morphine mess coming out of your ass.

Am I correct that chronical morphine use increases the bioavailability compared to taking only single doses of it? Via oral route ...

well as far as pain goes morphine is deff better orally or not, those oxys give you a better high if your not in pain.. thats ab it

I had no clue oxycodone was stronger...I thought morphine was like 10x stronger...not so intimidated anymore...

Oxycodone is NOT stronger than morphine. Morphine is 2x more potent by weight (mg per mg) when the BA of both drugs is equal (or 100% ). However, orally morphine has a very poor BA and as a result of the way the two drugs are metabolized, oxycodone is more active orally. Not more potent, but more active. When all things are even, morphine is 2x more potent (some sources say it's even more than that).

God damn... Four pages of this thread, and still every 10 posts someone pops up and demonstrates a manifest misunderstanding of everything involved.

Oxycodone is NOT stronger than morphine. Morphine is 2x more potent by weight (mg per mg) when the BA of both drugs is equal (or 100% ). However, orally morphine has a very poor BA and as a result of the way the two drugs are metabolized, oxycodone is more active orally. Not more potent, but more active. When all things are even, morphine is 2x more potent (some sources say it's even more than that).

THIS.

Morphine is a more potent drug, by far, than oxycodone. Unless you specifically mention routes of administration, that is the only correct answer - if you do not specify "taken orally" then calling oxycodone more potent than morphine is wrong.

Assuming 100% bioavailability - none of the drug is eliminated in first-pass metabolism, and all of it reaches circulation - morphine is roughly twice as potent.

With routes of administration other than injection, bioavailability is reduced. Morphine undergoes extensive first-pass metabolism and only about 30% of an oral dose reaches circulation, whereas with oxycodone the corresponding number is in the 70-80% range - so taken ORALLY, oxycodone is more potent. Taken orally, hydrocodone is roughly equipotent with morphine - yet nobody claims hydrocodone to be of equal potency to morphine.

Finally, most people will find that an equivalent dose of morphine is decidedly more sedating and nauseating than oxycodone.

^ Psychonauticunt, even orally it is not more potent than morphine. It is only more ORALLY ACTIVE. Drug for drug, morphine is the more potent drug.

^ Psychonauticunt, even orally it is not more potent than morphine. It is only more ORALLY ACTIVE. Drug for drug, morphine is the more potent drug.

Good point, thanks. What I was talking about was potency as realized effects per mg - in this sense, if taken orally, 10mg oxycodone produces stronger effects than 10mg morphine. To some it may not make a difference, but I strive for accuracy and correctness, so cheers.

Your a pos

What in the fuck are you talking about? Morphine is NOT 1.5x stronger than Oxycodone you have it the wrong way. Read the fucking FAQ's. It's the other way around. Unless Morphine is IV'ed, it SUCKS completely. 8)

Oxycodone is the most popular opioid in North America, and why do you think that is? Because it is 1.5x stronger than Morphine, and it has an ORAL bioavailability of 86%.

Morphine's ORAL bioavailability is about 33%. So Unless Morphine is IV'd - which makes the bioavailability 100% ONLY if its IV'd. Just like anything you IV, the bioavailability is going to be 100%.

suninthenight: DO NOT listen to OntarioGuy as he has absolutely no experience, and has not done his research yet. You can even tell from his spelling.
First off oxycodone isn't the most popular in north America, hydrocodone is. And that reason is because they're both a lot easier to come by than morphine is. However, if your doing it recreationally than don't waste your time or money on any morphine under 60mlgms. Like the one person said that actually seems to know what he's talking about, morphine is stronger than oxycodone that's why hospitals use it in IVs. If you crush the pill you will get much more of a euphoric feeling because of the outer coating. My advise, don't just listen to people on the Internet all the time. Especially junkies like this guy that's got to use profane language for no reason at all. People like that have small brains and even smaller vocabularies so why would you listen to someone like that. Do research yourself don't just ask questions and think that everyone knows everything. Also the one person was right about MS contin. The sulfate is what decreases the bioavailability along with fillers. Go and research it yourself or since your saying you have a script then ASK YOUR DOCTOR. Morons that have to cuss every other word are not people you should be taking advise from. Don't result to shooting stuff up with needles like these people say as I'm sure you've heard stories about how bad that is unless done by hospital techs or EMT's. And some advise to ontarioguy, get on suboxone because your obviously a junkie and also no one likes Canadians. Good luck.by the way I'm a licensed pharmacist and I had to take classes to get my permits. The person saying don't listen to ontarioguy is correct.

you got things all wrong dude...I have experience dont worry..but w/e you kiddies can keep your little overrated Oxy's while the rest of us spend less money to shoot real dope.Also,not cool sending me a flaming message in my inbox...I would think thats against the rules here...and people will listen to the advice if they plan to IV the morphine...even people with a large OC habit should get quite high from 50-100 milligrams of IV morphine,its strong shit man...like snorting or eating dilaudid isn't the greatest,but IV it and you're in a whole different ball park..morphine is the same way...the b/a that you gain from IV certainly presents itself in the form of a huge rush and high.If you ever IV morphine you'll no what I mean.
You are a pathetic person/junkie that's probably homeless by now. Who in their right mind goes and calls people kiddies and brags about banging dope. People like yourself A.need major help but B.should not be allowed to get online and attempt to give people advice that are genuinely asking legitimate questions. Take a good long hard look at your meek life bud because it seems pretty sad. You are the type of person that makes the majority of the world hate Canadians. You really need some major help for that hollow pea brain that's probably just a shell by now. If your not dead already. Your a very pathetic individual and should probably attempt to play with oncoming traffic to make the world a better place. That is, if you haven't overdosed already. Example of where blame Canada came from. But, at least our tax dollars don't have to pay for your Medicare and that's why most countries don't do that, because of sad pathetic irresponsible people like yourself. Sorry for all the other Canadians that have to live in the same place as this nut job. I'd say good luck to you but you don't deserve a positive message.

I believe it is a personal preference. Everyone is different. I took Morphine Sulfate IR 30 mg. three times a day (typically 45/45 or 60/30 dosages) and I am now on Oxycodone 30 mg. four times a day. I personally preferred the Morphine to the Oxycodone. I didn't feel the need to take after only four hours like I do with the Oxycodone. I typically took the Morphine every 8-12 hours for pain. Others may differ in opinion and that is fine...but for ME, Morphine worked better and longer.

*26+ year sufferer of bilateral Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia (ATN) and bilateral Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) after trauma due to Maxillofacial Jaw surgery at age 17.
*2 year sufferer of Occipital Neuralgia (ON) after additional head trauma from bilateral Gamma Knife Radiosurgery (GKR) at age 41.
8(

As someone who also suffers from chronic nerve pain...I agree with you. I believe it just depends on the person and how they metabolize it. Morphine is far from being "shit". For me, it worked better and longer than a higher dose of Oxycodone does.

Some people seem to have the misconception that 5 mg. of one drug is ALWAYS less than sayyy 100 mg. of another drug. THAT IS FALSE!! It has nothing AT ALL to do with the number of mg. So to base your opinion on that, is foolish. Just because one drug is 5 mg., doesn't mean you would have to take 20 of them to equal 100 mg. of another drug. You could have a 10 mg. drug that is much more potent than a 300 mg. drug. Apples and oranges.

Morphine is the gold standard in pain relief...those of you that think oxycodone is stronger are caught up in the effects of thebaine...