• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Ambien and opiate withdrawal

I have 7 blue footballs (1mg alprazolam each) aswell. you think i should mix the benzos with the ambien or is that too risky?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Ambien is a z-drug, meaning it's kind of in the benzo family. How much ambien are you going to be taking with the alprazolam?

^^^ Ambien is a z drug so it's a hypnotic and the z drugs sort of act like benzodiazepines but they are not benzodiazepines. There are a few differences in effects and how they act and whatnot.

As for mixing xanax with ambien it will increase the drowsiness as well as the amnesia effects that both drugs can cause.

I'm pretty sure Ambien is a z-drug, meaning it's kind of in the benzo family. How much ambien are you going to be taking with the alprazolam?

I usually only take like one ambien (10mg) and that usually does the trick when im not in W/Ds. but if i need more ill probably only take half (5mg), or one more TOPS (so 20mg total of ambien). you think mixing like 1.5mg or 2mg of alprazolam with 15mg or 20mg of ambien is a bad idea? no alcohol of course or any other drugs (maybe some herbage)

Are the benzos themselves not cutting it? I just got through the worst of my withdrawals with alprazolam (about 1.5mgs) to induce sleep. I would try that first with some herb and if that doesn't work, THEN start with 10 mgs of Ambien. You should be alright though :) be sleeping like a bebe.

this will be my first time withdrawaling with any kind of pills so im not sure how they will make me feel. that sounds like a good idea to try the alprazolam first then if i need it, ambien. for me the restless legs is the WORST part of withdrawaling. it breaks me every time. so i hope the benzo will at least help a little. i know it wont completely take the restless legs away. i also have 1 - 5mg oxycodone just in case it gets so bad ill get up and do anything to go out and use. Im really scared but i HAVE to do this soon. my sister is getting married in vegas in 16 days so i wanna be over the worst by then.

I feel you on that one completely. Luckily for you you have a lot of time to get over the acute withdrawal symptoms and possibly even deal with the post (depression, lethargy) symptoms. Quit now! The benzos as you said won't alleviate all of your symptoms but it will help immensely. 5 mgs of oxycodone should be safe to mix with the benzos assuming you have a high tolerance to opiates. It will set you back, but not anywhere by a longshot. When I was in your shoes, I bought a bunch of perc 5's (about 20 of them) and took 1 in the morning, 1 around midday, and 1 before bed. I would then over the next few days try and take less and less and increase the duration of each dose (ie one in the morning, one at night). That's just an example though. I found that once you get your tolerance as low as possible, the withdrawals, although annoying, weren't as grueling as they were when I went cold turkey on a 300+ mg habit. Then once I ran out, I used benzos to deal with the acute withdrawal symptoms which only lasted about 2-3 days. After that, I was just tired and stuff but nothing very noticeable. Keep me posted.

i got seriously addicted to ambien cr, codene, and xanax all at once my freshman yr of highschool. (fucking a) i would chag abunch ambien so i wouldnt be itchy from not getting the xanax but sooner than i knew it i had a larger addiction to ambien than to either the xanax or codene. you need purple kush. the sleep aid in it is fucktastic

Ambien is as addictive and has the same nasty withdrawal symptoms as benzos as it is in the same family as benzos.
Only take it for a couple of days and you will be safe.

Ambien does work for getting to sleep if your in mild withdrawal from opiates. For me when I had my worst withdrawals coming off around 2 years of 50 mgs Methadone followed by 2 weeks prior to induction lowering my dose to 25 mg's/day. Then when I waited 48 hours after last Methadone dose and took 4 mg's sublingual Suboxone I got sick as fck! ldo, prob. b/c I needed to be at a lower methdone dose to switch to Subs w/ out getting precip. wd's due to Methadone's long half life and bupes ceiling effect, partial ag. properties, etc.

I was just tired of using methadone and so I decided to do my own kind of quick detox prior to Sub induction. Anyways the first night I didn't sleep a wink no matter how many Ambien I took but the next night I was able to sleep with 10 mg and it really helped me for the next couple weeks.

If you have been okay with 20-30 mgs of Methadone and the clinic wants to start you off on a higher dose, they are trying to fuck you over. Think about it...why the hell would you ever take more? If anything they should try to start and taper you down or start using suboxone to get off the methadone. I've been in your shoes, and I would recommend getting health insurance and getting them to pay for your Suboxone prescription.

Try to find a good clinic, one that actually seems to want to help you. Tell them you want to get off pills asap. Methadone is really hard to get off of, and so is Suboxone, but from personal experience, I think it goes Full Agonist Opiates, then methadone then short tapered suboxone.

I may be wrong, there are a lot more experienced users on this website. I was unable to stand the suboxone withdrawals and relapsed, so I have no room to talk. But I went back to methadone, and for me, the withdrawals were more severe and longer.

They want you on 80mg generally speaking becuase its a blocking dose. It is considered to be the therapeutic dose.

In my experience it helps but only if you have some long acting benzos to help you out. Ambien by itself will knock you out for a half hour if you're lucky, it's better than nothing but just barely. Try getting a bunch of Loperamide too, that has helped me in the past, also Tramadol or Codeine.

It may not be that bad, try not to have too many expectations about the experience. In my experience opiate WD's get progressively worse each time you go through them so hopefully you can make this your first and last. My first opiate WD was nothing compared to what I feel like now.

Anyway, who knows the ambien may help you, we're all different. I think lunesta would work better because it lasts longer.

@ Spaceman Spiff- about 2 years ago i was highly addicted to Opiates, i got prescribed 80mg Oxycontin for my gunshot wound to my back and also fractured wrist and a couple car accidents, i have good medical records so i was able to get the strong meds, anyways i was snorting the 80mg oc at least 2-3 times a day everyday for roughly 2 years and then i quit and that was my first time experienced any withdrawal and it was horrible i mean unbearable, then i was introduced to suboxone on my 3rd day withdrawing by my doctor. I took 4mg of suboxone for about 2-2 and a half years and it help so much but the withdrawal from suboxone is ten times worse than Opiate withdrawals and so is methadone. So my opinion to you is maybe you should consider taking suboxone for only a week tops that way you dont get chemically dependent on that and you will only be uncomfortable for a few days once off the suboxone but will also be able to operate through out the day, and as for sleep klonapin, ambien, and xanax will help you sleep through the night but make sure its at least 2mg xanax 2mg klonapin and at least 5-10mg ambien!!! Hope i was in any help!!!