• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxycodone 160-240 or morphine 320 mg?

O

Oxy-from-morph

A question I'd like to post anonymously, please transfer to Other Drugs (OD) mods. Thanks.

I am prescribed 320 mg of slow release morphine daily, which comes as a 100 mg pill and 60 mg pill of MS Contin to take every 12 hours. So in other words, 160 mg 12-hourly, to make up my daily dose of 320 mg. I also get morphine IR for break-though pain.

I'm considering asking to change to 160 mg of oxycodone as Oxycontin daily, or whatever my doctor thinks the equivalent dosage is. This would of course be two 80 mg Oxycontin pills daily. I'd be happy with this conversion ratio, because I could always work my way up if I need to, or my doctor may use a different ratio and prescribe me up to 120 mg of Oxycontin twice daily. The dosage can be increased or decreased as needed whatever the initial dosage is, so this isn't really the issue. The question is a simple one, is it worth changing from MS Contin (morphine) to Oxycontin (oxycodone) for my slow release med.? I want to change, and oxycontin seems like the best alternative (to morphine) to me. Can you give me your points of view on this please. It's for physical pain, but any positive effect on my emotional pain is a pleasent side effect. The main use is for physical pain though. The morphine just doesn't work so well for me, I think I'm a -codone person if that makes sense to you. So if you have any ideas or suggestions, I'd like to hear them please!

I would like to know, what shall I say to my doctor in order to change my medicines? I want to change but I don't know a reason I can give, apart from the morphine isn't so great. The morphine works quite well for pain, but not enough. I want oxycodone because drugs like hydromorphone don't seem to be much different from morphine. I don't see much point changing from morphine to a -morphone, because they have low oral bioavailabilities compared to oxycodone. What should I say to my doctor - please give me your advice. I don't see how it would be such an issue, since I'm already prescribed morphine, and I've been on fentanyl patches before at high dosages, and didn't like them, because they were not as good at relieving pain as morphine is for me, plus they would peel off and irritate me.

So my questions are;

1. Is this a good idea, to change from MS Contin 320 mg to Oxycodone at an equivalent dosage? (Even if my starting dose is half my morphine dose, I can be titrated upwards as needed.)

2. What could I say to my doctor to help me change medicines? I'm a litigate pain patient, and generally find morphine sucks due to low oral bioavailability. I'm sure morphine IV wouldn't suck, but I don't do this. I take my meds. for pain, but would appreciate any mood enhancing side effects of oxy., and it's stimulating effect too which is better than the sedating effect of morphine for me.

Thanks in advance for reading, and please answer whether or not you're a chronic pain patient like me.

1.)I would switch cause if you say the morphine is working very well for you then you should at least try and go with the oxy's. If the oxy's don't work, or you end up not liking them for what ever reason you could just have the doctor switch you back to the morphine, Dilaudid, fentanyl, etc. The sweet thing about the oxy's is that they do give you a pretty good euphoric feeling which will enhance the mood your in for the positive, but everyone is different.

2.)As far as your doctor goes I can't really tell you what to say but you might want to just ask if there is anything else out there that has and extended release to where you don't have to pop pills every 4-6 hours. You could say you've been doing some research online and that you're trying to find out more options for your self as far as the pain goes and just inquire about the oxy's and see what he/she says. definitely let your doc know that you don't like the results your getting with the morphine. Just be honest with your doctor and if you don't want to come right out and say "hey I want you to put me oxy's" just approach it maybe one of the ways I've stated. If your in a lot of pain I'm sure your doctor will have some compassion towards your situation. =D

!! EDIT: I just read your post again, and before I give my advice on morphine and oxy, let me just say if I were you I would try out fentanyl if at all possible. It lasts long (especially patch), is very strong, and bioavailability is 100%. Anyways on to my original post !!

You said so yourself, MS Contin has terrible oral bioavailability. No matter what these doctors will tell you, it's a fact. I love how people on other forums say it is a miracle because it helps take pain away but doesn't make you feel "high" like the other opiates do. That's bullshit. The "high" is part of the pain relief; it takes your mind of the pain. I can tell you I've taken 320mg or morphine when my tolerance was nothing, and while I did get me pretty fucked up, if I had taken that much OC...I would've been in the hospital.

Even if they both had 100% oral bio, oxy is still stronger than morphine. If you are in legitimate pain, and want legitmate relief, my advice would be to at least try out oxy. And like you said, IV morphine is hard to beat...but that's not an opiton. I really think the makers of MS Contin should add something to increase the oral bioavailiabilty, it really seems like a rip to me. The only people that say they get effects from it either A) Take a whole fucking lot B) Take percocets or vicodin along with it for "breakthrough" pain

Just my .02! Don't be fooled by my username, I've researched these two drugs a lot, mainly because the only prescription my doctor will allow me is MS Contin. Whenever I ask for something different he thinks I'm trying to get high (parents told him I had a history of drug abuse).

!! EDIT: I just read your post again, and before I give my advice on morphine and oxy, let me just say if I were you I would try out fentanyl if at all possible. It lasts long (especially patch), is very strong, and bioavailability is 100%. Anyways on to my original post !!

You said so yourself, MS Contin has terrible oral bioavailability. No matter what these doctors will tell you, it's a fact. I love how people on other forums say it is a miracle because it helps take pain away but doesn't make you feel "high" like the other opiates do. That's bullshit. The "high" is part of the pain relief; it takes your mind of the pain. I can tell you I've taken 320mg or morphine when my tolerance was nothing, and while I did get me pretty fucked up, if I had taken that much OC...I would've been in the hospital.

Even if they both had 100% oral bio, oxy is still stronger than morphine. If you are in legitimate pain, and want legitmate relief, my advice would be to at least try out oxy. And like you said, IV morphine is hard to beat...but that's not an opiton. I really think the makers of MS Contin should add something to increase the oral bioavailiabilty, it really seems like a rip to me. The only people that say they get effects from it either A) Take a whole fucking lot B) Take percocets or vicodin along with it for "breakthrough" pain

Just my .02! Don't be fooled by my username, I've researched these two drugs a lot, mainly because the only prescription my doctor will allow me is MS Contin. Whenever I ask for something different he thinks I'm trying to get high (parents told him I had a history of drug abuse).

That's funny that you said Fentanyl cause that was the first thing I was going to suggest to him, I almost missed it myself before I started posting. He mentions Fentanyl about 2/3 of the way through his post and this is what he said about it:

"I don't see how it would be such an issue, since I'm already prescribed morphine, and I've been on fentanyl patches before at high dosages, and didn't like them, because they were not as good at relieving pain as morphine is for me, plus they would peel off and irritate me."

If it was me and it's not I'd take the Fentanyl over the oxy's but that's just me. =D

A question I'd like to post anonymously, please transfer to Other Drugs (OD) mods. Thanks.

I am prescribed 320 mg of slow release morphine daily, which comes as a 100 mg pill and 60 mg pill of MS Contin to take every 12 hours. So in other words, 160 mg 12-hourly, to make up my daily dose of 320 mg. I also get morphine IR for break-though pain.

I'm considering asking to change to 160 mg of oxycodone as Oxycontin daily, or whatever my doctor thinks the equivalent dosage is. This would of course be two 80 mg Oxycontin pills daily. I'd be happy with this conversion ratio, because I could always work my way up if I need to, or my doctor may use a different ratio and prescribe me up to 120 mg of Oxycontin twice daily. The dosage can be increased or decreased as needed whatever the initial dosage is, so this isn't really the issue. The question is a simple one, is it worth changing from MS Contin (morphine) to Oxycontin (oxycodone) for my slow release med.? I want to change, and oxycontin seems like the best alternative (to morphine) to me. Can you give me your points of view on this please. It's for physical pain, but any positive effect on my emotional pain is a pleasent side effect. The main use is for physical pain though. The morphine just doesn't work so well for me, I think I'm a -codone person if that makes sense to you. So if you have any ideas or suggestions, I'd like to hear them please!

I would like to know, what shall I say to my doctor in order to change my medicines? I want to change but I don't know a reason I can give, apart from the morphine isn't so great. The morphine works quite well for pain, but not enough. I want oxycodone because drugs like hydromorphone don't seem to be much different from morphine. I don't see much point changing from morphine to a -morphone, because they have low oral bioavailabilities compared to oxycodone. What should I say to my doctor - please give me your advice. I don't see how it would be such an issue, since I'm already prescribed morphine, and I've been on fentanyl patches before at high dosages, and didn't like them, because they were not as good at relieving pain as morphine is for me, plus they would peel off and irritate me.

So my questions are;

1. Is this a good idea, to change from MS Contin 320 mg to Oxycodone at an equivalent dosage? (Even if my starting dose is half my morphine dose, I can be titrated upwards as needed.)

2. What could I say to my doctor to help me change medicines? I'm a litigate pain patient, and generally find morphine sucks due to low oral bioavailability. I'm sure morphine IV wouldn't suck, but I don't do this. I take my meds. for pain, but would appreciate any mood enhancing side effects of oxy., and it's stimulating effect too which is better than the sedating effect of morphine for me.

Thanks in advance for reading, and please answer whether or not you're a chronic pain patient like me.
honestly i would say oxycodone because it has one of the best bio availability when taken orally(its around (%90) and morhpine is one of the worst unless you inject it but who wants to that right?

but if your looking to snort it oxy is the way to go.

just make sure its pure oxycodone like oxycontin

if it has acetaminophen then dont wast your time snorting tylenol

Where did you come up with 320mg Morphine being equivalent to 160mg oxycodone? According to opioid converters "240mg" oxycodone is equivalent to 320mg Morphine. Personally I find oxycodone to be more potent than that though. In my opinion, I believe that OxyContin would be a better choice than MSContin simply because the BA of oxycodone is incredibly higher, sustained release formulations of Morphine aren't too effective and oxycodone is simply a better pain reliever.

As for your doctor, it all depends on your relationship with them and how flexible he is. There are a good amount of doctors who are scared of prescribing OxyContin, due to abuse potential purposes. They may find MSContin to be "safer". There are also doctors who believe in what they prescribe and don't want to change it around. If you have a good relationship with your doctor than simply ask him if you could try the OxyContin because the Morphine doesn't seem to be doing the job. He won't think that you are trying to obtain a drug to abuse if you know each other well.