Opinions Needed - Splitting Opiate Discussion Off From OD Into A New Forum

Would you like to see opiate discussion split off from OD and into it's own forum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There should most definitely be a separate forum. There should actually be a few more, for example I did not see any 'stimulants' forum, and thats a major class of drugs. Other Drugs should only be addressing little known drugs or off the wall drugs. At least that was my interpretation. :)

EDIT -

Yea I suppose I should stop thinking of everything being 'open to interpretation' ;0) There are some hard and fast things out there.

Last edited:
^ but that's why the forum guidelines are so darned awesome... Then you don't have to interpret, just know.

Sorry, I should have included that with my actual contribution. In my opinion, the pros do not outweigh the cons of splitting the forum. Think of the poor mods, I think almost as many threads end up moved or closed than allowed to continue, and the split would create even more errant posts that need to be dealt with. Furthermore, as was already stated, I think many people come for the opiate discussion but enjoy the diversity of topics and information available, all in one place which is the OD we all know and love.

For example, opiates are my DOC but I also enjoy my adderall, the occasional benzo, and so on. I think the proposed opiate forum would suffer just as much without all the other stuff as OD would suffer without opiates.

However, if a split is made, please please please classify Tramadol as Other and not opiate. That shit does not belong. Same goes for darvocet and loperamide. If there's going to be an opiate forum, at least make it a REAL opiate forum.

^Ok, I was half-joking. But I do think the problem of classification and the resultig issues would have to be addressed. And we all know that no matter how it's supposed to work, a shit load of people are going to ignore it, and the mods will end up constantly cleaning it up.

Other Drugs is Opiate Discussion.

reducing 'clutter' (number of total posts) doesnt make a forum better, it just makes the mods' jobs easier. OD has always been the go-to forum for everything thats NOT ecstasy (and, much later, not psychedelics...), and will always be the go-to for IV drug use. Opiates arent the only drugs that get used primarily through IV, and splitting it would cause the same questions re:needle use to be posted in multiple places. splitting OD into 'Opiates' and 'Everything else' would be redundant in other ways too...

if anything, perhaps creating an 'Opiates' subforum for OD might be alright, but still. i'm against the idea.

You know, I only just registered 2 nights ago to ask a question about poppy tea, and when looking through the forum categories on where to post my question, I was like "WTF? They don't have an opiate forum!?!? How the hell is that??" and was immediately thinking they should have had an opiate forum. After being here just a day, I immediately got used to the fact that there are SO many people in this section (OD) and agree that a split would no longer be such a great idea.

So many great points made which convinced me that this section should not be split. I sure as hell am learning alot just by certain non-opiate posts catching my eye. What's funny is that I only came in here to read opiate posts. I love the way it is now. Splitting traffic is no good. Response times will be lower.

There are enough people who come into OD and BDD seeking information about opiates that a sub-forum directed to opiates in particular would certainly be right-minded.

It is a serious matter - opiate use. One of the more addictive types, without doubt. What makes it more serious than other more compulsatory drugs such as cocaine or methamphetamine, is the fact that the negative effects of opiates are not felt until a considerable amount of time after the drug is ceased. This in many ways makes the experience more desirable, more necessary for the user to function in daily life. The addicted person then incorporates the drug into their life, then becoming connoisseuirs of opiates/opioids, prefered routes of administration, et cetera....

The main problem is, our systems do not react the same every time we dose - our systems are weakened during certain stress points, and the heart cannot handle being depressed at the same levels it can when it is well, increasingly so while we age. This is what I believe leads to many unintentional overdoses by those of us who 'know what we are doing'. We have to learn to listen to our systems better, before we force ourselves to feel very well.

Opiates are good medicines which, oppossed to most recreational drugs, affect our behavior and physiology (pain wise) in a positive manner. That is why they can be dangerous.

Last edited:
I don't think a split is quite necessary but I do believe that another moderator would be an extremely helpful addition this forum.

In NO way am I trying to downplay the work that Leftwing and djsim ( I <3 you both ) have contributed to this forum because they both are absolutely fantastic mods.. but it seems as though they are both fairly busy with life outside of BL leaving the other three mods with a massive amount of threads to answer/move/lock on their own.

I truly appreciate the amount of information the moderators (and many other OD regulars) contribute to this forum.. but I do believe an additional mod would be quite beneficial to the forum especially with the amount of traffic coming through here.

What other things can we do to help remedy this problem?

Require threads be approved by a moderator before showing up in the forum for all to see. =D

Sounds about as feasible as splitting up OD and the archive, doesn't it?

for example I did not see any 'stimulants' forum, and thats a major class of drugs.
Stimulants are a group of drugs. A major class of drugs would be known as "amphetamines" or "phenethylamines" or "tryptamines", not just "stimulants". Some psychedelic drugs are stimulating, others depressants, and others somewhat of a combo of the two...but all psychedelic drug discussion goes in PD for a reason.

I don't think the stimulant/depressant split off would be a good idea either but I can see it's probably a better idea than just an opiate split off.

Last edited:
I vote No.

I voiced my opinion on this issue when it was brought up about 3 years ago. I'm going to just quote myself for my argument on the matter. Keep in mind that OD has had a shift in the discussed topics. I believe back then, coke and amphetamines were more prominent than benzos are now. The argument then was splitting OD into uppers and downers.

Cerp said:
If my memory serves correctly, this issue has been brought up a few times in the past. It does seem logical to split up the forum for organizational purposes, which I originally thought was a good idea as well. However, according to previous discussions the forum remains as the beast known as "Other Drugs" because the users who are educated / experienced on opiates (downers), generally have a solid understanding of amphetamines, and cocaine; stimulants (uppers) as well and vice-versa.

Asking a question regarding cocaine might result in a answer given from someone who is a "regular opiate" poster. If the forum is split, this scenario, as well as the polar opposite scenario (switching upper Q and downer A) is less likely to occur. Answers to questions about everything inbetween "uppers" (coke/amphetamines) and "downers" (opiates) such as anti-depressants, anti-psychs, benzos, MAOIs, SSRIs, etc might be harder to come by.

^ That is what I have always gathered from the discussions anyway. I hope my explanation was not too confusing...

Where then do you put the non-opiate downers like benzos? They belong to the opiate group because people who abuse opiates often abuse benzos. ("Can I snort Xanax?", "Can I shoot Ambien?") If a split is made shouldn't it be 1)Stims (all sorts) 2) Downers (opiates and other).

I say split.

The OD mods all specialize in opiates. BL needs more mentors/advice givers for drugs like coke, meth, etc.

Another "pro split" argument:

Why do we have separate forums in the first place? To organize information, right? So, what "evils" could possibly come from the split? BL will simply become more organized. Evolution, right? :)

Yes, way too much stuff to sift through, I would even split it up further and do a forum for amphetaminea, coacaine/crack, benzos, and then other drugs.

I say split. An opiate forum would be awesome. Too much garbage in OD, splitting it up would make everyone's lives easier (mods and posters alike).

I think it should remain the way it is and has been. Without the discussion of Opioids, OD would effectively become a "Non-Opioid" or "everything but Opiates" Forum, which I would then be afraid that it might deter a lot of posters/members from even coming to OD after the split. I don't think it's a stretch to say that at least half, if not more, of the OD Forum regulars are, we'll say, "familiar" with Opioids, if not all together obsessed with them. Therefore, if a split were to take place, we would undoubtedly see a major shift in BL Forum traffic, for better or for worse.

^ What is your drug of choice? Is it an opiate?

I'm seeing a lot of people who are open about opiates being their drug of choice are against the split. I think that, plus seeing OD as a sort of "home" on BL are the reason they are against it. OD has a following that has nothing to do with the drugs discussed in it, and I feel this is playing more of a role in your decisions than some of you may even realize.

^ What is your drug of choice? Is it an opiate?

I'm seeing a lot of people who are open about opiates being their drug of choice are against the split. I think that, plus seeing OD as a sort of "home" on BL are the reason they are against it. OD has a following that has nothing to do with the drugs discussed in it, and I feel this is playing more of a role in your decisions than some of you may even realize.

I think you're right... As a new member, I may peruse the other threads occasionally, but OD is my home... I'm basically strictly an opiate head, yet I enjoy OD because i learn so much about other things, and because of the huge opiate community within OD. So I feel I get the best of all worlds.

^ I think OD being a "home" to a lot of regulars is an awesome thing. It can also work in favor of a split, or against a split, depending on how you want to look at it.

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but I haven't voted on this poll. This is because I can see it both ways and have no idea exactly how I feel about it.

Either way, my main concern is that the people who need the info can find it as easily as possible.

there'd be two ODs then:
Opiate Discussion
and
Other Drugs
So then people would have to clarify...it would get confusing, I like the idea but the accronym (if that's what they're called) would get too fucking confusing. And when your high it just doesn't help at all. ]: Not that you can even understand anything you read when you're high anyways. Just saying, and of someone already said this then please pardon me by all means, I didn't read all of the posts in here. I don't think I have all day.

Peace,
Cap'n Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.