• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Do u mix b6 with 5-htp?

sub21lime

Bluelighter
Im so confused.ive done a lot of reading on the internet about 5-htp,and some people say you have to take b6 with 5-htp for it to work.other people say mixing the two is a very bad mix. can u guys help me out here? Do i have to mix the two? 8)

There is debate as to whether it is a good idea. Some say it boosts the effects, while others say b6 metabolizes 5-htp too quickly.

Last edited:
I have htp-5 too and on mine bottle it reads ''one capsule contains ; 50 mg 5-htp ; 5mg vitamin b6(250% ) ; etc

so it seems the manufacturer already added the b6, was surprised since i took vitamin b suppl with it, now i dont need to.

just take it with the b6, nothing will happen unless it's a rare case, or tkae it without, doesn't matter

Well I'm a big fan of the lucid dream world, I take this combo once in a while to help me induce lucid dreams, Don't fear if you take more b-6 then you should unlike other vita's you can pee out w/e the body does not need. I have read taking 5x of what the bottle says in one setting can cause some damage to your memory. I never had issues taking both in small dosages before bed time(= ask your doctor.

im just so confused because half the websites ive been on swear that u have two mix the two and others are against it,saying its very bad for u,somthing about the serotonin not reaching the brain just the body and how bad it is for your heart.
For two months i took it with b6,it worked and all but im not sure what kind of damage ive done.

like you said its a tricky issue.

b6 helps convert 5htp into serotonin.

this is good if it occurs in the brain where we want and need more serotonin but not so good when the change (5htp--->serotonin) happens in your bloodstream.

id say take 5htp without b6. and perhaps add a b6 suppliment hours after taking the 5htp.

5-HTP with B-6

Simple. B-6 in any oral form (pyridoxine HCL, pyridoxamine, P5P) taken at the same time as or within 2-3 hours before (depending on dosage and form) will enhance peripheral conversion to Serotonin. Peripheral Serotonin does not cross the Blood-Brain Barrier and will act on intestinal smooth muscle. This means nausea, diarrhea, possible spasms and increases in hepatic MAO-A. Leave it alone. Use 5-HTP without B-6 and more will cross the BBB and be converted in the CNS to Serotonin, Melatonin, and (if enough methyl donors are around) DMT. Long term use of 5HTP will result in increased MAO-A in the CNS and decreased tryptophan hydroxylase to compensate. Re-uptake transporters can also increase. In Short, 5HTP alone boosts CNS Serotonin rapidly. Take your vitamins later. You don't need as much B-6 as you think and P5P orally is a waste of money. Try it out and see what I mean. Less nausea and a lower dosage is a good thing. Tryptophan can be much more practical and is virtually unaffected by B-6 supplements. 5HTP is to Serotonin as L-DOPA is to Dopamine. B-6=bad side effects. Dosage? Well, Don't over do it with 5HTP, especially on SSRI's. Hours of Vomiting and hyperthermia. Any Questions?

I have to revise my statement! PHOTOMIND is right. Well, he has a good point. It can be compared to the side effects parkinsons patients experience when on L-DOPA, they get meds to counteract the peripheral breakdown, but it may still suck.

If you take B6 with your last meal of the day, the worst spike of B6 in your blood will be gone before nap time, but you'll still have plenty P5P in your brain. And a fairly empty stomach allowing the 5-HTP to be absorbed.

Last edited:
I'm a lurker, but I read a great post on here a few years ago in the Advanced Drug Discussion saying mixing 5htp with b6 (or maybe b12) is bad and should be avoided as it will increase the amount of 5-htp in the blood, which can be bad for the heart.

Just don't take too much of either, and you should take them at separate times. You need B6 to convert 5-HTP to serotonin, but if that happens in your blood instead of your brain, it's worthless. Since taking 5-HTP makes a lot of people sleepy, I'd recommend taking it at night and as such taking your vitamins in the morning.

Just don't take too much of either, and you should take them at separate times. You need B6 to convert 5-HTP to serotonin, but if that happens in your blood instead of your brain, it's worthless. Since taking 5-HTP makes a lot of people sleepy, I'd recommend taking it at night and as such taking your vitamins in the morning.

Most B6 supplements are pyridoxine HCl. They are converted into the biologically active P-5-P in the liver.

All in all; I doubt the exact timing of B6 is critical.

5HTp in South Africa seems to come with B6 automatically. However, according to Dr. Murphree's website with a video on it & with eight chapters states that it should be taken 30 mins before going to bed with a little grape juice and nothing else at that time, especially not B6.
You should take B6 in the morning though. I must say that because I have Fibromyalgia and have bad reactions to various medications,
and also having a Hiatus Hernia, I haven't been able to take it for long, (though would really love to). Perhaps this is because B6 has
been included with my 5HTP. I have just contacted Dr. Murphree on his site and have asked him this question. Will let you know. His
video site is on www.douglaslabs.comvideo/drmurphreeplayer.html
Doseage according to Dr. Murphree is 50mg. If you still can't sleep, increase by 50mg per night until you can sleep. (Up to 300mg.)

Last edited:
Hi,

So it looks like based the info here, it's a good idea to take 5-HTP in the evening and your B-supp in the morning.

I've been adding ZMF (zinc, magnesium, b6) to my diet. So I guess taking that in the morning and then taking the 5-HTP in the evening is my bet. Are there other contra-indications? I would add some extra magnesium with that, and some melatonin as well.

Thanks,

Your body has natural stores of every vitamin which are far greater than your daily intake. As a result, taking vitamin supplements has essentially zero acute effect, and even in the case of a vitamin deficiency it can take as long as two weeks of continuous supplementation to correct the problem.

Zinc and magnesium (also sodium/potassium for obvious reasons), whose ions exert some direct effect on cell surface proteins, are exceptions to the rule. Zinc supplements impact copper absorption and should never be taken long-term without medical supervision.

Most 5-Htp supplements come with Vitamin B-6 as it helps in better conversion into tryptophan (or something of the sort)

Q: Does vitamin B6 cause 5-HTP to rapidly convert into serotonin before it even reaches the brain? Does this mean you don't get an increase of brain serotonin?
A: No, actually quite the opposite. In one notable study on rats, vitamin B6 deficiency was deliberately induced. It was discovered that very little serotonin was produced in the rat brain when deficient in B6.4
In other experiments with monkeys and rats, the presence of ample amounts of B6 - even to the point of "moderate excess" - increased production of serotonin (in the brain) from 5-HTP by up to 60%.5,6 Once again, it is clear that 5-HTP raises brain serotonin levels - with or without carbidopa or benserazide, and with or without vitamin B6. But the evidence indicates that it's better to take 5-HTP without carbidopa or benserazide and with vitamin B6.

For more questions and answers about 5-HTP -

http://www.life-enhancement.com/magazine/article/46-5-htp-facts-and-fiction