• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc The Wellbutrin (Bupropion) Negative Side Effects Thread!

Help

First off, antidepressants affect everyone differently, if chemical disturbance is the problem, you may have to run the gamut of them before finding what works for you. I know thats not what you want to hear, but that is how it is. Mustering up the endurance and patience to get through it is difficult in and of itself never mind struggling with depression while you are at it. That I can recall off the top of my head, I have tried prozac, zoloft, wellbutrin, savela, cymbalta, paxil, and a few other older meds that I can't recall the names of at the moment. Wellbutrin is a god send for me, it was the only drug that made a difference for me. All the others had terrible results and or side effects. My mom can't take Wellbutrin at all, terrrible panic attacks...paxil helps her tremendously. I can't take Paxil, it's all trial and error.

I was in a state very similar to yours after I had a nervous breakdown years ago. It was a very weird state afterwards. I felt totally disconnected from my emotional self. After a week or so when I was able to function somewhat again, it was like I was a robot...totally devoid of any "soul". I didn't laugh, I didn't cry, didn't worry, didn't feel happy or sad...I was totally numb emotionally. This is when I tried the antidepressant type drugs...but before those I started seeing a psychiatrist. And she was almost as big a help as the Wellbutrin ended up being. Don't discount the help that a trained professional can bring, I was quite surprised. I didn't want to do it, I didn't think I needed it, it was just the stepping stone to antidepressants (which I knew I was going to need in order to continue living) But the talk therapy helped me immensely...afterwards we started the drugs, and it took a while, but eventually I got to a point where I could 'feel' again. You'll get there, but I would humble myself to get professional help in someone to talk to, even if it's just for a month....friends are well meaning, but aren't trained to help you like a professional can.

I agree, there's a lot of pharma company bribery and such not these days. It's important to note, though, that it's still up to the individual doctor to decide how to treat his or her patients There's no regulatory body that forces everyone to use DSM IV definitions and give all the little kiddies risperdal.

Based on my experience:
there is a big difference between real Wellbutrin and generic. HUGE. There was actually a thing in the free paper that a university was studying the differences and if you were on one of the two generics they'd pay you large cash and fly you to California for 12 weeks...
I used to take Wellbutrin and I miss it. I can't afford the real stuff and I refuse to take the generic. It just doesn't work. And my doctor said that another pill that the generic sucks for is the thyroid replacement (name escapes) pill. Synthroid. Always get the real stuff. And if the doctor checks off "may not substitute" the health insurance should kick in for a large discount, as opposed to you asking for the name brand and doc said generic is ok.

First off, antidepressants affect everyone differently, if chemical disturbance is the problem, you may have to run the gamut of them before finding what works for you. I know thats not what you want to hear, but that is how it is. Mustering up the endurance and patience to get through it is difficult in and of itself never mind struggling with depression while you are at it. That I can recall off the top of my head, I have tried prozac, zoloft, wellbutrin, savela, cymbalta, paxil, and a few other older meds that I can't recall the names of at the moment. Wellbutrin is a god send for me, it was the only drug that made a difference for me. All the others had terrible results and or side effects. My mom can't take Wellbutrin at all, terrrible panic attacks...paxil helps her tremendously. I can't take Paxil, it's all trial and error.

I was in a state very similar to yours after I had a nervous breakdown years ago. It was a very weird state afterwards. I felt totally disconnected from my emotional self. After a week or so when I was able to function somewhat again, it was like I was a robot...totally devoid of any "soul". I didn't laugh, I didn't cry, didn't worry, didn't feel happy or sad...I was totally numb emotionally. This is when I tried the antidepressant type drugs...but before those I started seeing a psychiatrist. And she was almost as big a help as the Wellbutrin ended up being. Don't discount the help that a trained professional can bring, I was quite surprised. I didn't want to do it, I didn't think I needed it, it was just the stepping stone to antidepressants (which I knew I was going to need in order to continue living) But the talk therapy helped me immensely...afterwards we started the drugs, and it took a while, but eventually I got to a point where I could 'feel' again. You'll get there, but I would humble myself to get professional help in someone to talk to, even if it's just for a month....friends are well meaning, but aren't trained to help you like a professional can.

^^^^^^

You must be a psychiatrist or working for a pharmaceutical company.

DeVoid said:
No, I don't. But bupropion is far more than that, as its wikipedia page shows.
Of course; the reason I mention this is because I know someone who tried wellbutrin while being a smoker, and it induced extremely negative effects in them, which is why I specifically asked.

I used to take wellbutrin so I am aware of its other pharmacological actions. :)

I am sorry you feel this way and I hope you can regain what you feel you have lost.

Taking any kind of mood altering medication for long periods of time can cause chemical changes within the brain. Some can be permenant. I blame SSRI meds for taking the spunk out of me. I have a bipolar schitz diagnosis but did not want ssri's after how they changed my brain chemistry.
How long have you been off the welbutrin/did you stop taking it abruptly/ any other medicines added or taken away at the time of discontinuing a medicine can all be factors. Welbutrin didnt do that much to me but i didnt like how it made me feel. All the ssri's i was prescribed has changed my personality, energy level and etc so i switched to a tricyclic anti-

effexor done this to me soon after taking it so stopped taking it. Shit desensitized my self being. Also never abruptly stop taking something can cause unwanted chemical changes within the brain.

i was in rehab along time ago almost ten yrs now but they tried to put me on wellbutrin and a day after taking it i started having some wierd thoughts i didnt feel connected with my body i felt useless and really didnt feel like livin...i told them the next morning i wasnt taking it and told them why and by the next day i was fine and got released a couple days later...but sorry to hear your havin them thoughts but like ppl have said talk to your Dr. and just another example of how chemicals effect everybody differently

This to me sounds a lot like my experience with undiagnosed Lyme disease. Lyme lives in the white matter of your brain (the white matter is what is used to access what is stored in the grey matter) and disrupts those pathways. I was diagnosed 5 years ago and I still feel disconnected from who/what I was. When the disease was at it's worst, it felt literally like a cloud surrounded me at all times and my memories and thoughts were on the other side of the cloud, unreachable by me. I stayed in bed for days, zoned out how you describe. Also there was a day/night cycle of where I would feel better like I was making progress during the day, and then I would go to sleep, and when I woke up I would feel worse than when I started. If you haven't been already, get tested for Lyme's disease.

You need to study spiritual teachings and realize God. I believe it is the only solution for people like us. Trust me, this will work though.

Dear DeVoid, I've read your story and it touched me a lot. What I say is that life is really really too beautiful for someone to give it up before knowing 100% that it's all lost and can't ever possibly something be regained. Yes, you've waited a long time and till now all your hopes have failed to become true but that doesn't mean someone will never reborn from your ashes. Just give it another long chance, as it's not impossible it's worth trying. Go for a good psychiatrist, go for an FMRI, get something diagnosed, try and talk to someone in a similar situation, search and understand what went wrong, try with different psychedelics but be really careful and at first go only for very low doses as they could get you for the better but also for the worse. Try with meds even if it's not shure they will work.
Just be reasonable, try everything that is possible and give it time. Please let us know your situation, hope it'll get well soon. :)

dam...................all i can say is i never was on it but my ex fiance was she was having anxiety after giving birth we have a beautiful 1 year old daughter now and not long ago she woke up and just said i dont love u any more.she lost her soul dignity respect ever since she started taken that im a drug addict (we stilll live together) a pos every bad thing a human can be i was in her head. My choice was well she lost it my daughter is more important than any thing in my life im a recovering heroin addict and coming off suboxone and dealing with her like this is nuts,last night i took 1 mg risperdal just knocked me out and my brain is frozen i just wanted to see how these drugs work wellbutrin isnt riserdal but its a brain fkkerr srry guys im pissed

You need to study spiritual teachings and realize God. I believe it is the only solution for people like us. Trust me, this will work though.

Okay "Burn out" from Michigan, we will all get right to it...

Yep. I was very depressed one night and took 1,000 Mg. All of a sudden I started seeing like little specks that we're merging together and moving around! It was a swarm of little specks. Now get this, I touched the swarm because it wasn't coming after me and they started moving on my hand like ants! I'm NOT making this up. I then was curious and entertained rather than afraid because when I controlled my vision and was AWARE of them, they went away. Now I'm like "What else can I make happen with this Wellbutrin in me." I used to be very interested in Psychedelics, like, 10 years ago. I took any Psychedelic. Bad, I know. Anyway's, I decided to go down stairs into the family room which is right by the kitchen. I could'nt speak right (slurring really bad) and sat on the couch, turned on the T.V and chilled. Everything was moving! i didn't even have to stare at it long enough for it to progress it's form. went back to watching T.V and i started hearing voices! Like actual words! Nobody was home and sounded very close. I'm tripping out hard but retain a positive mental state. I go back to the T.V and not long after, I see, out of the corner of my, a girl sitting at the kitch table. She was in color and i just kept staring ( without looking somewhere else because the hallucination would go away. She Started then vanished. WTF right? I look around and here the voices again. i was freaked out by it so badly but still didn't let fear settle in. I can't recall what the words were but the voices i just talked about was a CONVERSATION WITH A MAN. once again sounding like they we're in the kitchen sounding so close to me. Honestly? I don't remember the rest. :/ but the event I had lasted a whole other 24 hours! That's another story though. Anyway, there you go. If you take enough Wellbutrin this happens. You can definetly hylucinate or however you spell it. Done. Stupidist thing I've ever done. I was acting like a schizophrenic. Peace, and DON't DO THIS. I'm lucky I did'nt have a seizure or worse.

nope never. i advise to stop taking wellbutrin if they are giving you these effects. i only take 150-200 mgs a day though

why the FUCK did you take 3000mgs. no fucking duh you will experience hallucinations on that dose. im supprised you didn't experience a grand-mal seizure and/or have a heart attack. wellbutrin isnt even a fun drug abuse. i find it has no recreational value whatsoever

damn man, please do all of us other druggies a favor and stop taking ANY and ALL mind altering substances (drugs)
not even fucking tylenol or caffeine. you seem you can't handle any drug. i advise getting some help and getting sober before you kill yourself@!!!!!

yeah taking that much welbutrin is idiotic...id expect to see heaven and hell and everything else on it at that dosage, its silly..

im currently taking welbutrin for anhedonia and motivation problems...at the beginning it worked great, more energy, higher sex drive, more social but that faded and now im basically getting some anxiety from it..im def more alert but i get the spacey head and blurred vision..another thing that sucks is it has killed my sex drive and ability..wtf, welbutrin was supposed to help this area..i doubt i will stay on it much longer..

dude chill out..he had a bad trip and made a stupid mistake, we all have at one time or another

Don't abuse antidepressant. You will mess up your seritonin levels, noreperniphrine receptors, dopamine receptors, and throw off your whole brain chemistry. I'm very surprised you did not have seizures or anything worst. Count your self lucky.

Please don't try this again or anyone. This is very dangerous. Bad things can happen.

I ended up having a seizure after abusing 1,000mg a month or so ago. I was extremely depressed and had no knowledge of Anti-Depressants. Vicodin and stuff like that I'm used to taking more. Wow, my naivety and lack of doing freeken research! almost killed me. Can you say a 10 minute Grand Mal Seizure. Scariest and Worst experience of my life. Not to mention my brother overdosed on heroin 2 February's ago.....my poor mom was the only one home and thank God she was right by me watching tv. Having to watch me convulse and have a horrible seizure and I'm all she's got left as a child? Fuck messing with Anti-Depressants. I really hope you're alright DoomeDXM. 3,000 mg! Man, I'm 190 and fit/play hockey/healthy...I can't imagine that amount in my system and the hell that came along...All I can end with is this...you have someone watching out for you...big time. Be safe homie