• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Withdrawals

synthetikal

Greenlighter
Hey all i kinda need some help from you guys.

I used to be addicted to codeine but decided it was time to quit as i was spending all my money. Anyway i decided to use kratom to help kick my codeine habit. Unfortunately i liked it alot and kept using for longer than i initially planned, so now i'm addicted to kratom. I plan on quitting in the next couple of days but want to know what i could use to help ease withdrawals. I have some Syndol which contain doxylamine which sorta helps with the akathisia and some valerian to help with anxiety but find it doesnt work very well.

Would the Lexapro i have help at all?? Also would it be a bad idea to take any of the MDPV i have?

Last edited:
MDPV is horrible on the body, it might give you a short rush which'll take your mind of the WDs but I really wouldn't.

Kratom and codeine aren't terrible to withdraw from. You could use some anti-histamines to ease the WDs - if you've made your mind up to quit the opiods just stop them and make your life easy.

Forget the lexapro. Withdrawing from all opiods is basically the same so please UTFSE and stop wasting peoples time. There are dozens of OTC guides to withdrawals.

Try some diphenhydramine (benedryl), perhaps some loperamide (immodium). benzos or Z drugs if ya got em.

How much Kratom are you taking? The w/d's shouldn't be too bad.

I wouldn't suggest any of the medicines you have - try benzos (IMO Clonazepam is best for w/ds), Clonodine, Cimetidine, and Loperamide.

your addicted to kratom???

I did kratom for 4+ months when i had access to it...., smoked it, popped it, snorted it....loved it pretty much! But...I didnt get any withdrawl from it as you seem to be stating....

Also, where im from, the codeine I get is wayyy cheaper then buying kratom, and codeine dosent help at all for my anxiety because of the fuckin caffeine in it....I havent had any access to the kratom since I moved and I dont really care to have it...did it help you alot??? why do you need this substance??

I wouldnt take anything else to 'mask' the feeling you get from kratom, wherre you taking it to get high, or get through the day being a normal person? kratom is an awesome herb IMO for the fact its nothing like benzos, and works as a great SSRI, TALK ABOUT EMPATHY!!!!!

but i mean, ive done alot of drugs seen alot of shit, maybe i just dont have it in me to get addicted to this herb...i vouche for it being awesome tho

I did not know you could snort or smoke kratom.

EDIT- Actually you can't snort kratom unless maybe the isolated mitargriyne and hydroxy chemicals and smoking am not sure.

sorry i shouldve been a bit more bluelight about this

the kratom i was getting was in capsuls, and it was a light brown powder in the capsuls, alot like echincia..it ws not the leaf, it seemed as it had been dried leaf grinded into a apowder, and the guy i got it from actually mixed different species in the capsuls (the mixture he liked the best, because theres so many different i guess)...it ws easily smokable and snortable (and of course you ccould pop them) and i got different effects from all the ways, no withdrawl however...and yes you can smoke, snort, chew, or swallow kratom

Benadryl, doxylamine succinate, valerian root, and kava are good for anxiety/insomnia. Ginger or peppermint tea and Dramamine help with nausea, and Imodium is a must-have for opiate withdrawals. Low dose DXM or benzodiazepines can also be helpful.

How much Kratom are you taking? The w/d's shouldn't be too bad.

I wouldn't suggest any of the medicines you have - try benzos (IMO Clonazepam is best for w/ds), Clonodine, Cimetidine, and Loperamide.

Taking around 75g in the morning and then again in the evening. The w/d's arent that bad, its the akathisia i cant deal with. have some immodium but find it doesnt work very well.

Smokealot: Kratom can be quite addictive. i started using it instead of codeine as it lasts longer and as you mentioned its a great SSRI, so helps with my depression. But at this stage i'm only taking it everyday to feel normal.

to be honest, the kratom helped me most with anxiety, while i was on it i had a feeling of caring about other people and I always made sure people who I was in contact with felt comfortable with me..maybe thats just my anxiety ;)
I wouldnt take anything else to 'mask' the feeling of kratom because it is one of a kind!
if anything, I would taper off the dose slowly....im not sure of the weight because I was taking different kratom, but I would taper off it....don't take any other drugs to get the same feeling...it wont work like that....you know your addicted, now its time to slowly taper off...ive never heard of methadone for kratom withdrawl...yet

I know from experiance that taking anti-histamines such as diphenhydramine/dimenhydranate will increase RLS like 20x dude. Fuck it made my w/ds worse and I had no idea that it was. Untill after a read a study about how it can increase RLS in people who are W/Ding opiates. And I have quit other times now without it and noticed now that it deff maybe it much worse.

I have around about 3 kilos of kratom at home here, and to be honest, the only bad effect its ever had on me is constipation. I take a lot of fruit juice (mostly prune) now to counteract that. Ive taken it at least 4 times a week, with around a 7grm dose, since Feb this year, and I enjoy the absense of my depression, my new raised sociability, and the good nights sleep I get with it. Before this I was on 20mg of a drug called cipralex prescribed by my doc for my low points. But I have taken one or two breaks from it and the main symptoms are irritability, loss of sleep, sweats, and minor panic attacks. These subsided with me in 3 days or less however, so I wouldnt really say it was a bad problem. To cope, its just something to take the edge off until those days are over. I see its been mentioned here to try anti-histamines. Before finding Kratom, I would chill myself sometimes with hayfever tabs too. I notice youre from Ireland (like myself), and I was taking maybe 3 or 4 hayfever tablets containing Ceterazine. In Ireland there appear to be only two kinds - the other will contain Loratadine (its useless). You can buy a pack of 14 Ceterazine containing tabs (read the box) in the likes of Tescos for just £1.50 so theyre really cheap. If you really want to dump Kratom totally (personally Im fine with it) then by day 4-5 max it will be gone. But as a "drug" I love it. It doesnt show up on drug tests (of this I am 100% sure as I bought a 5 pack of 7 bar tests and did them all with various strains to a negative result). And it has so many benefits. If everyone only had Kratom to worry about, then we'd all have very little to worry about IMO.

Taking around 75g in the morning and then again in the evening. The w/d's arent that bad, its the akathisia i cant deal with.

So that's 150 grams kratom a day? That's the highest I've ever heard of. I was up to 25 gr twice a day at one point.

The best way to stop is taper. A few less grams every few days. Then going longer periods between doses. Then going a day or two and take small amounts to stay ok. Honestly, kratom does have a wd, but it's not as bad as true opiates. It's different. I get real lethargic and cranky but I don't get the deep down bone crushing spirit pain that opiates give. It's psychologically as bad as cigarettes though. The wd is like a mix of caffeine, tobacco, and a very minor codeine wd. Tapering can be painless if done right though and I have never been able to taper anything.

I have been addicted (and am once again) to Kratom, people who have a past of addiction to opiates seem to have very bad WD's as opposed to ppl who have not they seem to experience minimal WD's. Kratom addiction is sneaky, and before long you can find yourself dosing 3-4 times a day to not get sick, and you always wake up feeling shitty. The worst part is unlike other opiates Imodium, Benzo's and other things that ease opiate WD's don't work on Kratom. I belive this is due to the SSRI effect that Kratom has, I have however found the perfect WD substance for Kratom. Tramadol works wonders it has a SSRI effect that stops the psycosis that can be accompanied with Kratom WD, it also has a low risk for abuse. I have been able to take Tramadol for 1 week and then go completley cold turkey with no side effects.
I hope this helps
Peace, love and Surf

isn't tramadol a prescription? he probably only has access to over the counter drugs.

Pretty Easy

Kratom is tricky to come off of cold turkey but I have found an ironically easy way to do so,
I have taken it for a few years straight, an ounce a day.
When I tried to stop I would get anxious for the first 24 hours and some body effects (restlessness mainly) similar to quitting smoking, like on edge, not sleepy, crabby and depressed. The worst is the depression after the first two days for me. On the contrary my friend (used nightly for a year)stopped taking it and had the opposite effect, he was extremely tired and slept for two days. The withdrawal from person to person is so different which leads me to believe its a total mental tug of war (lacking true physical addiction).
I found that taking retalin/adderall made it very easy, just a few days of taking the Ritalin gave me the ability to get through the withdrawal . It was the easiest thing (ironically). I also took a benzo and ristoril for sleep. I had no cravings at all! It was crazy!
I guess my main point is kratom is a mental addiction seeing how different people withdrawl differently from it.
I think kratom should not be compared to opiates since they have a much more extreme W/D with body effects.
Bottom line, to stop taking kratom - basically try to cut your dose in half over a week, after that time (depending on the person you are) try a benzo, bendrly or even Ritalin (like me) for the mental W/D. I have done it myself a few times. I end up returning to kratom because it really relaxes me like nothing else- its a trully organic feeling(which is my real problem).

Taking around 75g in the morning and then again in the evening. The w/d's arent that bad, its the akathisia i cant deal with. have some immodium but find it doesnt work very well.

Smokealot: Kratom can be quite addictive. i started using it instead of codeine as it lasts longer and as you mentioned its a great SSRI, so helps with my depression. But at this stage i'm only taking it everyday to feel normal.

75 GRAMS????? GOOD GOD that's a LOT of Kratom. Even with 00 caps that would be about 75-100 caps. I used Kratom to get off of a 150-200mg./day oxy/hydro habit. I started with 15 00caps a day then gradually tapered down to "as needed" over about 3 weeks. Like others have said, tapering is your best bet. I had a few minor WD's after stopping Kratom but NOTHING compared to pills.

Good luck.

A quick note to those who claim that kratom is not addictive: First, let me say that I am an enormous fan of kratom (have been using it in place of a methadone maintenance for a while now with good results) so I am being completely objective when I say: YES KRATOM IS AN ADDICTIVE PSYCHOACTIVE SUBSTANCE that CAN and WILL result in very unpleasant withdrawal if used in higher amounts and for extended periods of time. I realize people are trying to preserve its legality and reputation, but this is a harm reduction site. So keep it real on here, peeps.

Second: As drunken_etard wrote, anti-histamines such as benadryl can make RLS much worse (as well as symptoms of ataxia and akasthisia in some people) and does me personally, but doesn't in all people. These drugs ARE good for nausea, insomnia, and anxiety in some, but personally I would rather be puking that have serious RLS. Just me. I would prefer GABA drugs (though some of these aren't that helpful for n/v). Neurontin, Lyrica, Keppra (the prescription version of piracetam) can all be helpful if you have them around, and if not, phenibut is in many countries available as a supplement, and as long as its not used in very high doses, where paradoxical reactions are more likely to occur, can be great for a number or psychiatric and physical symptoms popular with opioid w/d.

As far as tapering off of kratom: in many non-native countries of kratom, the plant, when you buy it, as long as its not an extract which, BTW, is much more risky for a tolerance and habit, contain the STEMS and VEIN, and isn't just the leaf. The stem and vein of the leaf actually contains opioid antagonists (a couple oxindole alkaloids) that work just like naloxone in buprenorphine or something would. (Thus the "less is more" saying about this drug.) So if you were using extracts or plain leaf, make an order of the crushed leaf or powdered stem and vein and taper with that. Your tolerance will go down, and therefore the w/d's won't be quite as terrible.