• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Terroir and Cannabis

Jamaican Ganja

The cultural lines lie deep in this Island that is a historic center of cannabis use. Again thanks Motaco and Reefer

Jamaica is well known for ganja, and for good reason. Supposedly the Jamaican weed growing culture started when escaped slaves ran so far into the mountains that they could no be pursued and lived an isolated existence; growing African and Indian sativas and living off the land.
Regardless of it's origin the popularity in Jamaica is undeniable and far older and more intrisic than most other cultures on this side of the world. In the fifties and even earlier Jamaica was one of very few suppliers of marijuana to the US. During the 60s Jamaican was one of few exotics available along with Acapulco Gold. Since it is an island and thus fairly easy to control around '73 it was used as a test for marijuana eradication and was very successful. Mass crops were targeted and hit hard, and the genes to the famous Lambs Bread or Kali weed was hit hard. Throughout much of the 70's and 80's Jamaican "semi sensi" was an extra exotic on the market, but made no substantial contribution to the total of pot America smoked. Noted more for the size of it's buds than for it's potency in the later years. However in it's heyday the Jamaican sativa was an energetic and spicy smoke. A neon green poker straight plant 3-9 feet high, with light branching towards the top. The smoke was energetic and upbeat, powerfully contemplative, with very little body stone or sedation to it. Supposedly a breed of Indian and African sativas.

Due to its year round photoperiod Jamaica has 3 harvest seasons per year. Two short and one long. It's worth mentioning that if you are going to jamaica in search of sativas. Don't go in winter as you would expect like at a higher latitude. That is actually their conclusion to the shortest season and is full of immature 50 day flowered from seed lolly pop indica buds. the nugs are 5 inches long with a gram on the end of half leaf and you can see the roots at the bottom of the stem. If you want sativas you should go around april when plants have had 4 months to cycle instead of a month and a half. This is the season they grow their larger higher yielding plants that can have a veg cycle. In winter they grow mini super fast indicas to get a quick harvest, but it sucks...

JAMAICAN STRAINS. NOW AND THEN.

In Jamaica when you flower sativas from seed they grow one main cola, and minimal side branching. Jamaicas grow climate causes this to happen naturally. Plants flower at or almost immediately after sprouting. So its no surprise acclimated Jamaican ganja looks like this. Pictures of jamaican patches often look like a little outdoor SOG. Stony weed was referred to as Kali herb (goddess of destruction), and other terms such as "lambs bread" or "breath" (depending who you ask) were also common terms. A common myth is that Jamaican strains smell and taste earthy and smoky. This is not true at all it simply has to do with primitive curing procedures which we'll get into later. Fresh native ganja is usually very sweet, fruity and floral. It should be, because it is mainly from the same dutch stock we are all familiar with.

Today native Jamaicans are harder and harder to find. In the 80's visitors continually brought over dutch genes which were faster and stonier. Since they stay short and are harder to see from helicopters, and finish so quick these small hybrids yielding a few grams to an ounce became what makes up the mainstay of Jamaican ganja today.

The nations growers have simple breeding techniques and accidental open pollination occurs often. It is hard for growers to keep lines pure. Jamaicans were used to 90-120 day sativas that grew tall, were heat and pest resistant, and didn't need much ferts, and yielded 1-4 ounces a piece. Todays average Jam ganja grows between 2-4ft, and flowers for about 70 days, and yields about 1/2-2 ounces. They are much more prone to mold, and require more tending. Although it is not likely to change the market many growers plea for tourists to bring sativa genes back to them. African, South American, etc. Really just any good sativas, they don't care if its kali mist of good mexican bagseed. Common dutch genes they received include several repeating names, such as ice, afghani, northern lights, and purple star, and skunk are common in gardens and replaced sativas. During the one long growing season sativas are better suited but many growers have lost their old lines. The more sativa looking lines left on the island appear to be mostly Colombian in origin according to recent visitors. Today the dealers call weed whatever is selling to tourists best. Even Diesel or Trainwreck although that is not what it is. However a handful of strains are there and are sold by name. Blue mountain sativa and a handful of other natives are still kept pure by some rastas supposedly. Although sativas are missed, the growers do appreciate the short, and fast turnover and increased number of harvest the indicas offer and they will now always make up a substantial part of the harvest. At any rate pay attention to the bud, not what it is being called....

GROWING AND STORING METHODS

Jamaica has the same kinda helicopter patrols and snitches like the states. For growers to combat this they have done the same thing they do in NorCal. Very few big patches. It's an army of dedicated small growers spread out everywhere and they can't be stopped. When its all put together it makes their country full of weed.

Jamaican growers have resorted to lugging thousands of lbs of soil through jungles and swamps, building raised soil beds in marshes, or planting on steep rocky cliffs with dams under the plants to catch water. Rarely are patches larger than 2 acres, with most of them being about a half an acre. An area is chosen and usually burned of vegetation and stumps, this is in part a problem of the islands deforestation. only 30% of the island is forested now and that is in part due to slash and burn techniques.

The rocky shallow soil is pick axed into holes and amended with quality soil and ferts. Then they build something to collect and store rainwater. Not an easy task and once its done they usually stay at the same spot for many years. Jamaicans are big on organic ferts and frequently use bat guano, blood, various different types of shit and anything else you can imagine.

jamaican admiring his work on a steep hill

Unfortunately despite being adept at grow techniques drying and curing is still a very primitive process for most jamaican growers. Probably less than 1/4 of the growers know how to properly dry and store weed for their climate conditions. This is what attributes to a lot of the negative stereotypes about Jamaican weed. Many of the growers simply machete chop the stem at the base above the soil line and just hang upside down. With no leaves removed, full stem and stalk, and the plants hanging closely next to one another in the high humidity it takes FOREVER for plants to dry like this and much is lost to mold. Some noticed they dried faster and without mold if they hung them in open sun, which deteriorates trichomes quickly and turns buds brown, others started drying in sheet metal shacks in the sun which are like an oven. Then they simply store it in bags. Another common technique is to hang buds close to an open fire which is a quick way of drying and attributes to many of the "smoky" sterotypes of Jamaican herb smells.

But there are wise growers in the woods that learned and have great kind bud and know how to properly dry and store it in the humid climate. To do so they trim buds into small branches, split the stems for drying, and remove all large leaves. Left in open breezy shady areas the weed dries just fine. After being trimmed to their liking they store by burying in water proof containers like buckets or ice chests. Weed will stay perfect like this well past the next harvest. Many growers live year round with their plants and tend them everyday, but it doesn't stop the quick deterioration rates of weed in heat, and the ignorance that comes with failed infrastructure, and lack of electricity for anything including AC. So it is no surprise there are alot of dealers looking to sell the cheap over abundant schwag to someone dumb enough to take it. So make sure you choose wisely. Dank is certainly available to be had when a proper grower produced it.

COMMERCIAL JAMAICAN

Unlike the situation in Mexico the Jamaican weed is usually not brought in by cartels. Or if it is they operate under enough privacy that they don't make waves. Jamaican weed import is a tiny fraction of what it once was. the distance and no border makes it alot harder to get shipments in. Entrepreneurs in speed boats, as well as smugglers lining the bottoms of boxes in fishing boats, and shipping containers, usually are freelancing it. Buying it with their own money and smuggling it at their own risk to private markets. They usually choose the weed they want from several growers, whittle it off the giant stems they sell it on, brick it and ship it. I understand that now in the dragging on of the Iraq war and the low troop levels many resources have been allocated to other places. The US government knows there is no real terrorist threat so they took many of the people and agencies who were riding around primarily for show in the gulf and put them in the OTHER gulf. With less people doing drug interdiction activities I hear brave souls in speed boats have regained some popularity. But it simply can't come through in the amounts without the organization and dedication of a large cartel.
The entire Caribbean shares most of the same strains and the best spot for collecting Caribbean bagseed in the US would have to be south florida hands down.

Refers post about Jamaican Lamb's Bread:

Another of the fabled, almost lost cannabis strains is Jamaican Lamb's Bread (often confused with Jamaican Lamb's Breath). Jamaican Lamb's Bread is getting increasingly difficult to find in Jamaica or anywhere else on earth, due to the influx, popularity and profitability of the modern feminized cannabis strains which are mostly hybrid sativa/indica crosses from Dutch growers. Rumor has it that serious medicinal marijuana growers from Hawaii have kept the strain pure and very much alive but the thing is that it takes longer to grow, often produces less than the modern cannabis strains and it's not a common name in the marketplace. Except for real weed connoisseurs, Rastafarian's and some Jamaican's this magnificent strain is all but lost.

My own experience with Lamb's Bread goes way, way back to when I was in Port Antonio in Jamaica, once made famous by Errol Flynn and his Hollywood friends. I was staying at at an old hotel up on the hill overlooking the town, where at the time, even the bar staff would bring you good weed but if it weren't for a local that I befriended I may have never heard of Lamb's Bread, however to this day I can remember that the characteristics of this fabulous weed were far and away above the common grade of grass that could be bought just about anywhere at anytime. Bright green and sticky, as soon as you saw it you knew there was something special about this legendary herb. There's even a strain of similar origin called "Bob Marley's Lamb's Bread" but I suspect it's the same genealogy and just named as such for his famous quote:

De ability what de herb 'ave ya call lamb's bread. Some a dem ya call Bethlehem's bread. ~ Bob Marley<3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is not just textual info its based on my own (jspun's) trip to the region in ''06

Carribean

Went on a cruise to the carribean in the fall of 2006. Went to St. Thomas, Antigua, St Maarten/St Martin, Barbados, and, one of the British Virgin Islands, I think it was Virgin Gorda or Tortola. Scored in St. Thomas from a white expat from the US Mailand with blond dreads. He was a roadie for a local regae band. The bud was a good sack of bud that was brown with yellow golden hairs. I remember the carribean buds on this trip all had a similar spicy taste in common in addition to the other characteritics in their tasting profile which made them unique. In the case of the St. Thomas bud there was a well defined spicyness which also tasted like cedar and leather with sweet almost tropical flowery undertones. Good solid tropical high. Next was in Antigua from a taxi cab driver at the suggestion of my mother and father-in-law. They got married there on their previous trip and had a good experience with their previous cab driver. This guy we had was a rip off artist. He drove to some dodgy area and scored buds. They were seeded and of poor quality. He insisted on rooling joints and smoking with us- and on holding the sack. Poor quality, lots and lots of seeds. Commercial Jamaican? Back at the ship we were out of papers and didn’t have a pipe. My father in law made an improvised pipe that wasted what little we had left. This stuff tasted harsh as shit and was green brown . The next port of call was St Martin/Maarten, the island spilt politically between the dutch and french. We ended up getting some on the french side from a French man. Found some at on one of the nude beaches (without saying which one). The French guy who took us back behind a little grove of trees and showed us a sack. My wife's step dad was reluctant to go there in the first place- he was weirded out by the whole nude beach thing but I figured that people tend to be more tolerant in a place like that. Not only were we able to score we scored dank! It was golden brown/coffee brown whith some crystals. He let me smell it and it smelled fresh and sweet, almost rich like tropical flowers and coffee. The sack was expensive and had the dubious distinction of being the only one that we didn’t pay for in $ (used euros). Not sure about weight but it was probably between an eighth and quarter oz. It came as a stem with small 1-2 inch buds with distance between the nodes. The rest of the bag was the buds. The taste of the bud was a little hard to explaine- it had a spicy taste to it and tasted like hibiscus, honey, maybe cantolope or molasses. The high was laid back but energetic and real stoney. I remember smoking it in a pipe a purchased in an outdoor market/bazarre behind the beach. High really went with the tropical island vibe and this stuff gave me a super case of the munchies- luckily I was on a cruise ship. It was prety stoney stuff. The sack lasted 2 prety heavy smokers ( my father-in-law and I) and 2 minor smokers (my wife and her mom) for 3 days. The high was mind expanding and multidemensional. At that beach I was the highest I had been in months. Went to Barbados but didn’t need to score and I seem to remember something about them having super strict drugs laws regarding canabis but we still smoked a couple times on the island and went snorkeling, ate well, and toured the island. Last stop was in the British Virgin Islands. I think it was in Tortola but can’t remember- which is strange because I am something of a geography nut especially concerning current and former island possessions of colonial powers. Anyway at this beach we went to on the other side of the island we aquired some bud quite easily from a local kid that was probably between 14-16 years old. Decent stuff, dark green buds. Had the ubiquitos taste of spice that other buds from the carribean we smoked shared. It smelled fresh, almost flowery or piney. The taste was also evokative of plums, licorice, and port wine. Before this trip I had learned the techniques of wine appreciation so was able to apply these principles to tasting gange, I wrote tasting notes somewhere where I need to dig them up. As far as landrace goes- I can’t say for sure whether or not these are landrace, and to which particular strain they belong but it would appear the St Martin bud was landrace (from jamaica originally?). The USVI bud was probably a hybrid by the looks of it, the BVI bud could have gone either way as could the one from Antigua- poor shity yielding Jamaican landrace? But all buds from there had a distinctive spicy taste in common.

Jamaica
Wish I had tried the landrace “lambsbread” and other great strains from Jamaica. Read an article in high times in the 80s that although there was a lot of schwag in the lowlands. Some buds of phenomenal quality were being grown in the highlands at that time in the Blue Mountains.

In the late 80s, used to get this bud that was indica, about 3 inches long were the whole bud was purple, even the flowers. I wonder if this was purple afghan? I would like to hear about purple panama- that’s intriguing, as are some of the other strains on the list.

Thai use to come tied to a stick- hense the term “thai stick”. This provided a mellow high. There were other types of thai as well but can’t rember the taste like thai step, but I rember 1 tasting like brown sugar or molases once, came across this taste in a bud that was supposedly grown in Bali as well- that was great strain too- brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup, and this distinctive taste other thai buds had.I remember it was something I found in the parking lot after frying hard on Acid during the dead show when it was over 100 degrees F Dominguez Hills spring 90- this help get me grounded and made me not so much like I had sunstroke anymore. Couldn’t say this was from Bali (guy said his friend just got back from Bali)- but the taste was radically different then anything else going around and tasted a lot like classic thai bud.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?p=7507932#post7507932

Post # 5

Last edited:
More on Terroir

I came across a post on another board that articulated more eloquately the importance of imparting information on terroir as it pertains to cannabis and the preservation of landrace strains for posterity, and above all purpetuating the body of knowledge related to cannabis culture, history, botany, and conoisseurship. By humanizing rather than demonizing this herb as do our adversaries we are better able ultimately to undermine their tactics and reduce harm. So in other words, the perception of an 82' Lafite and bottle of thunderbird (or 63' Warre vintage port if were talking fortified wines.) are two different things in the court of public opinion. Anyway, this is my opinion.

There's a dialog amongst cannabis connoisseurs about how the field of knowledge has been repressed by the prohibition, in more ways than just the scientific/medical applications. What I'm referring to is the recreational understanding of the herb. Now that the cultivation aspect of the underground grow-op activity has matured beyond the budding stage, into a viable, and sustainable cottage industry with genetically stable plant strains much like wine (ie. Chardonnay, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc etc...) there's a demand for information about the look, smell, taste, and effect of the finished product (bud). Naturally a price comparison would accompany this information and eventually an entire strain-rating-guide will be needed but first the dialog has to establish a nomenclature for explaining subtleties of the distinctive looks, smell, tastes and effects. We can thank MarijuanaReviews.com for advancing the required lexicon.

By referman in post about juicy fruit strain.

http://www.reefersmoke.com/pot/

Terroir as it pertains to cannabis appreciation is even more multidemensional than with wine. Where as with wine appreciation one talks about color, taste, mouth feel, ect... with cannabis you different proportions of cannabinoids other than THC which radically modifies the high, which are also highly terroir dependent. I tried to start a similar thread in OD about terroir and the production of opium and how the production of different alkaloids and other constituents modify the high and taste (the latter an important factor in opium enjoyment as anyone that has smoked the real thing might agree. Unfortuantely the object of the thread was misunderstood, answers usually dealt with cultivation specific answers and increase opium production, so the thread was closed for being "self serving". Were mostly all lucky to even come across the sensual delights of opium even once in our lives so connoiseurship with this fine product is a rare thing in this day so thats understandable.

Cannabis is an even more hardy and remarkable plant, in ,my opinion than the grape. It thrives in a much more diverse range of environments. As pimp lazy pointed out:

I once heard a female vineyard owner say, "Zees land eez parched and malnoureeshed. The taste comes from zee suffering of zee grapes." I'd say that there are minor changes in the soil which can change all the minute things that make a grape taste like it tastes. Sunlight, amount of UV-B, altitude, and moisture are more likely factors that would determine the potency of the marijuana.

With pinot noir, as an example, terroir plays a crucial role
the climate, in good years, has to be cool enough to produce the perfect balance of acidity, sugar, ect... It has been said that struggling of the plant improves the wine. With cannabis, we have a plant that thrives, depending on strain, in the tropics of South America, forest of N. CA, inland coastal valleys of Alaska, ect...Try growing grapes in the tropics and you often get a sweet moldy mess. What the above post of mexican sativa highlights is that even though mex is associated in many people's minds with dirtweed alot of genetics in today's chronic super strains come from mex landrace strains. A seed of dirt grown in northern CA, Holland, or the mountains of Baja might produce widely different product especially when it is poorly tended and compressed into a brick after it leaves the field in Baja. Also, when they said that 88-92' was a low point I know what they mean having lived in San Diego in the early 90s. In the mid to late 80s in Northern CA all we had was mostly CA Killer Green Bud or Thai bud as the lower cost alternative.=D The dirtweed, unless you were 12, only sold for a couple of weeks after the middle of Aug. Then we had a dry season- at that time there was less indoor growing than now. When I moved back to the Bay Area then came back to San Diego in 2004 there was less schwag and more kind. The dirt couldn't compete with the kind, even though kind cost alot more. God bless the capatalist system.

When I discussed Krypie in this post and the post about most potent buds ever I found another post by refer on the topic. It is in the above thread again in a post entitled "myrtle beach blunt."

Amongst my fondest memories from my summer 2009 tour are some amazing smoking sessions and some amazing weed. The Miami grass seemed like the same strain of Kryptonite that I scored last year and likely was, as the Florida grow-op has had such success with it that they've cloned the strain and kept it growing. Then in BC my timing was on and I scored a huge sack of freshly harvested, immaculately manicured, and perfectly cured, Purple Kush, which was as tasty and powerful as anything that I've ever smoked but by that point in my tour I'd been smoking for a few weeks and developed a tolerance, so I was able to still hold a conversation, unlike a few other people I shared the wicked bud with.

Here's a picture of the strain called Kryptonite
http://www.reefersmoke.com/2008/03/kryptonite.html
The stuff I remeber was grown in south FL in the everglades allegedly and was an attractive flourescent lime green. I do not remember it having orange calyxes but the taste...aaaahhh....lime and pine....psychedelic paralyzing high. The only thing I ever smoked that was stronger was the awe inspiring Matanuska Valley Thunderfuck which I started a thread about on BL:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=459909

Next I will post Motoco's post about Colombian Buds, another classic grow region.

For classic sativa and Indica terroirs, please people post stories about SE Asia (esp Thailand), Africa, the Himalayas, the Middle East, ect... or just your experience with classic strains. Thai Sticks, Juicy Fruit Thai, Chocolate Thai, Mint Chocolate Thai, Swazibud, Panama Red, Carribean Buds, Oaxacan Highlands, Kaui Electric ect...especially Panama Red. There was a thread started but that kind of degenerated into a debate of sativa vs indica vs ruderlais.

Discussion on landrace that kind of fizzled by Frosty Mc Failure:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=460830

Interesting with wine grapes and suffering producing better wine, the Morrocans seem to hold that view in Ketama regarding cannabis and kief or hash production.

Last edited:
Cannabis Conoisseurship

A San Francisco Chronicle article about cannabis conoisseurship:

Connoisseurs of Cannabis
Like fine wine, growing medicinal weed has become so specialized as to inspire tastings and a new vocabulary
Katherine Seligman

Sunday, April 22, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen DeAngelo bent and sniffed deeply over a clump of frizzy purple nuggets in a petri dish, one of eight sitting in the middle of a long refectory table. They were not labeled or arranged in any particular order, although to the experts assembled in DeAngelo's Oakland loft -- "cannabis is my calling," he says -- their identity was no mystery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I would describe this as grapey, candy-like, sweet, with a slight undertone of spice," said DeAngelo, a longtime activist and hemp promoter who is now chief executive officer of Harborside Health Center, a medical marijuana dispensary in Oakland. He was holding the tasting at home where he could properly and legally -- at least in the eyes of California, if not the federal government -- evaluate some samples. To prepare, he'd taken off his green tweed coat, loosened his tie and settled in a chair near his vaporizer, an apparatus that allows him to breathe vapor instead of smoke, because it's less harsh.

"It is grapey, but I get flowers," said Rick Pfrommer, the dispensary's purchasing agent, as he inhaled a strain called the Purps. "I would use the word pungent. It has a pungent funk undertone."

"It is grapey, with a hearty musty bottom," added Elan, the center's manager, who preferred not to use his last name despite the fact that he, like Pfrommer and DeAngelo, is a card-carrying medicinal user and dispensary member.

DeAngelo arranged the tasting to show how far marijuana has come since the 1970s when, as a common joke goes, there were two kinds of pot, good and bad. These days, especially in the years since California approved medical use, there are too many to count. Harborside offers about 40, each recommended for various ailments and conditions. Sophisticated growers, who can manipulate color and cannabinoids -- pot's active ingredients -- bestow their seeds and strains with exotic names. Some have taken "landrace" or indigenous breeds from Burma, India, Mexico or California and crossed them to create, said Elan, "these crazy strains." Center clients can swap reviews or seek information on the Internet at sites like weedtracker.com (for medicinal users) or newsstands about the burgeoning array of options.

There are glossy magazines and cannabis cups, including High Times magazine's long-standing annual event in Amsterdam where pot smoking is legal. Marijuana guru Jorge Cervantes, author of a "Medical Growers Bible" and probably the closest thing the weed world has to the wine world's Robert Parker, appears in an online High Times video where he talks about his contest judging "system." Seated at a table covered with a white cloth and a few dozen samples spread in a semi-circle, he demonstrates how to squeeze the buds and rate olfactory nuance.

"Some of the fragrances you should look for are sweet, spicy and musty," he says, dressed in a black jacket, a black beret covering his long black hair. "If it's sweet, what's it like? Is it like bubblegum? Is it like honey? ... Is it minty? What does that mean? Is it like a rose? Or a cherry?"

As the quality and variety of marijuana products in pot clubs have grown, so too has an emerging marijuana connoisseurship or, as some call it, "cannasseurship." "I guess," said DeAngelo, when asked about the term after trying several samples, "I'm a cannasaurus." In medical marijuana circles, the treatment potential of a certain strain, whether it produces a "body high" or a "head high" that dulls pain or stimulates appetite, treats pain, nausea, sleeplessness or other ailments, is paramount. But to a distinct and discerning subculture, there is another dimension.

And if there is a center in the United States for this breed of maven, it is California, particularly the Bay Area. In a region of wine and food buffs, where there is a constant quest for the best bread, cheese or olive oil, it's no wonder that marijuana, in its semi-legal status, has become a new frontier for expertise. There are medicinal consumers who covet designer strains and varietals -- such as the one grown and harvested only by women in a remote northern county -- or who want organic products and say they can taste what soil or fertilizer was used and want to know the lineage of what they consume, as well as the expected effects.

"In the Bay Area if you hand a joint to someone, they'll say, 'What kind is that?' "said DeAngelo. "In Wisconsin, they'll just say, 'Oh, thanks ...' It is a great time to be in the cannabis business."

As in any industry, say some insiders, some of this is hype and bluster. Dale Gieringer, California coordinator of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), says smoking various strains and being able to tell the difference is "a mystery to me."

"I've been to cannabis cups and I can look at them and smell them and judge on appearance, but when it comes to smoking it's impossible to differentiate [between types]," he said.

Cervantes, who now lives in Spain, says part of the publicity about new strains can come down to "money, money, money" in America. Consumers in Northern California, for example, are crazy about purple strains, he said. In general, they're not as high quality as green varieties, but someone has figured out that "purple sells."

"People try and be bigger and better than someone else and they make a lot of it up," he said in a phone interview. "Since it's not a controlled industry people can use a good story to make money."

And none of this makes any difference to the federal Drug Enforcement Administration, which doesn't recognize the state's medical marijuana law. Whether it's called White Widow, Sour Diesel or Bubble Berry, grown organically, hydroponically or on Aunt Martha's porch, it's illegal as long at it contains tetrahydrocannabinol, known as THC, the main active ingredient in marijuana. THC levels have soared since the 1970s as growers moved indoors and learned more botany, going from an average of 2 to 3 percent to as high as 20 percent, according to Greg Sullivan, special agent in charge of the San Francisco field division.

"It's a marketing thing, truly just marketing," he said of dope diversification. "We know they are different strains, like with wines, but we don't analyze that. ... Marijuana is marijuana. They've gotten very good at growing marijuana. It's become an art."

The botanist

In the introduction of his book "The Big Book of Buds," longtime Bay Area medicinal marijuana activist and writer Ed Rosenthal describes the history of cannabis, from its origination in the foothills of the Himalayas to making its way on caravan routes in Asia and the Middle East and then to Europe and America. There, he says, laws prohibiting marijuana cultivation are what pushed growers to become more skilled as they moved underground. The laws actually "inadvertently promoted a breeding program exceeded by no commercial plant," he says. California's medical marijuana law further pushed the pioneers, turning underground botanists into boutique producers who can market to licensed clubs.

"Marijuana in the last 20 years has undergone an incredible change, more than at any time in history," says Andrew, a landscaper, who only wanted to be known by his first name because he has a "side job" as a gardener for medicinal marijuana patients. "It is in its golden era now ... Marijuana does not look like it did when I was young."

K, another grower, who wants to be identified by his first initial because of security concerns, also has watched the transformation of the marijuana industry. In many ways, he embodies it. At 42, he is the co-owner of Trichome Technologies, a 10-year-old company that produces plants for medicinal clubs, and an award-winning grower who's been voted the best producer in the history of High Times. "I'm not boasting, just stating my credentials," he said when we first spoke.

When we met a few weeks later, he asked if I was surprised to see him, not in hippie or Rasta raiment, but in an ordinary pair of jeans, white tennis shoes and baseball cap. We talked at the Sea Breeze Market & Deli near the Berkeley Marina because he said he couldn't "at this time" show his growing operation, although he has not been shy about his business. A recent High Times spread showcases his high tech warehouse and research facility, with its custom light, exhaust, temperature and irrigation systems.

K traces his fascination with marijuana to his childhood in Napa Valley. "I'm familiar with the wine world and that's why the genetic makeup of things has always piqued my curiosity," he said. "I've always admired George Washington Carver and Luther Burbank."

He started cultivating on his own at 13, he said, when he ordered his first hydroponic kit, the Hydropot. It was not exactly a smashing success, but an endeavor which kept him out of the "perils and pitfalls that befall an average teenager." While his cohorts in middle school were out discovering drugs and alcohol and sex, he was hunkered down at home studying horticulture and botany on his own. Saying he had a green thumb would be an understatement. K couldn't even discard house plants. He still has a philodendron -- named Herman -- that someone scavenged from a funeral 20 years ago and gave him to take home.

He admits he "smoked my crop" in the early years, but only after school and homework. His parents, although not thrilled with his personal science project, respected the fact that he didn't let it interfere with school. He graduated, he said, at the top of his class.

After high school, he continued studying botany on his own, forgoing college to focus on home study of marijuana. "I got my education the hard way," he said. "No mentors, no professors."

He eventually started experimenting with aeroponics, suspending the plants in air instead of in soil. "It was magnificent," he said. "I loved the process. It requires someone who really likes playing with it." Ultimately, however, the system was too complicated.

In the mid-'80s, he continued growing quietly, never becoming a big distributor or seller, but producing "for information." Around him he watched as government surveillance pushed more growers underground and indoors. He was experimenting with variables -- soil, water, light and temperature -- to grow "better, simpler, more efficient." He went from using conventional soil to rocks ("the rock revolution") to rockwool, a substance that looks like cotton candy pressed into tubes and is less time consuming than rock to decontaminate. And he started collecting varieties only available by clone and not by seeds, until he had a dozen different plant clones and 250 seeds varieties. Today he grows all boutique varietals, he said, known for their nuances of color, potency, flavor, aroma and density of flower.

It is the aroma that most intrigues Rosenthal these days. He wants to isolate the odor molecules that produce fragrances in cannabis. These molecules, he said, can have "profound effects on whether it's an up high or a couch lock" and what the marijuana can be used to treat. Different odors in the herb can increase acuity or relaxation, much like aromatherapy, he said. He'd like to develop marijuana stripped of these odor components, then be able to add them back to create products targeted for specific uses.

K's company produces about 10 strains at any one time, but he said he is proudest of something called G13, a type "unique to us," and purple kryptonite ("kryptonite is proprietary too"). What spurs him on is not commercial success, he explained, but the excitement of learning. If he didn't have a crop to check on each morning, there would "be a hole in my soul," he said. As one of the first 300 people to get a medical marijuana card himself, he uses the herb for pain related to sports injuries in his shoulders and knees.

But he has too much to do to use marijuana all the time, he said, returning to how he contradicts the stereotype of the hippie pothead grower. He would rather work, pursue his interest in race cars or play with his English bulldog.

"I dream about being able to map the genomes of each and every variety of marijuana to find out why one is purple or has high THC," Rosenthal added. "To me, it's never been about wanting to make money."

The taste gurus

The viewing ("you have to look at it carefully and lovingly," said DeAngelo) and smelling over, the tasters were ready to begin the penultimate test, tasting. The buzz, of course, is the final quality to register.

"What do we try first?'' asked DeAngelo, surveying the petri dishes.

The group settled on something called Satori. DeAngelo put a pinch in a special grinder with tiny spikes and then loaded the grounds into a small chamber in his Stinel vaporizer, which he calls "the Cadillac of heat guns because of its digital temperature gauge." When he fires up the heat gun, the THC in the marijuana vaporizes, ending up in something that looks like a plastic vacuum cleaner bag. Users inhale the vapor by sucking on a mouthpiece attached to the bag.

"The first thing I look for is how the vapor feels in my lungs," said DeAngelo. "If it's really good, it will expand."

He inhaled and let out the air slowly. "Is it spicy or flat?" he said. "You're looking for something a little spicy. Then I gauge the amount of aftertaste. I think this is spicy, neither sweet nor pungent."

The others inhaled after him and concurred. Next they tried Sour Diesel.

"This is good," Pfrommer said. "Oh my. What a difference." Then he started to cough. "The flavor, it numbs your tongue and lips."

"It's not numbing, it's tingling," said DeAngelo. "I get more citrus notes out of this. With this particular Diesel I can taste the lineage from the citrusy parentage."

Next they sampled some hashish called Mr. Nice, which they inhaled off a hot coal, avoiding the use of a butane lighter.

"Top shelf," DeAngelo and Pfrommer said together.

"It has an incredible exotic taste that evokes oriental carpets and brass chandeliers," continued DeAngelo. Then, turning to his visitors, he added, "This is what we do. We sit around and smoke weed and talk about work."

Elan said he tries to help each patient -- the Harborside Health Center has 3,000 members and about 175 visits a day -- find the right product, either to inhale or eat. Pfrommer chooses the center's pot, arranged in three glass cases and marked to sell for about $35 to $60 for an eighth of an ounce, from a select group of small "vendors." As many as 40 a day, all center members with medicinal pot cards, come to show him their buds or cloned plants, but he buys from perhaps 10 percent of them, he said. He examines each specimen with a scope to look for resin, an indicator of strength and quality -- which under close inspection should look like a dusting of snow. He smells and palpates them to find the best. "The rest leave with advice on how to make their medicine better," he said. "The new generation of younger growers has a lot of energy. The older ones who used to make a living can't do it anymore. I explain how the market has changed, that they need a niche or a strain that people want or they should get another job."

DeAngelo said he sees Harborside, which already resembles a spa, with its high ceilings, turquoise walls, stainless steel cabinets and soft jazz, as a holistic health center. It offers yoga, hypnotherapy and medical qigong and he wants to add acupuncture. A marijuana activist since his teens when he participated in "smoke-ins" in Washington, D.C., DeAngelo said he dreamed of having a state-of-the-art dispensary. And now he has one.

The group eventually worked its way through five samples, then quit because everyone had to go back to work. They were not used to getting "medicated" during work hours, they said. Besides, they admitted, it was getting hard to evaluate the buzz. They were noticeably quieter as the tasting drew to a close. DeAngelo suggested a trip to a nearby Starbucks, hoping the caffeine would help them focus for the rest of the afternoon.

"I have another thought about the development of cannabis connoisseurship," he said as we were about to leave. "It's a classic story of American innovation. Marijuana has been around for thousands of years until it crossed our shores and we examined it and made it better and invented new ways of ingesting it. That's in the mainstream of American values."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/22/CMGK8OSSAA1.DTL#ixzz0RnCrepRb

Last edited:
Colombia

Now Moving alittle further south to the classic cannabis growing country of Colombia. Although cocaine, methaqualone, and more recently heroin trafiking, with there obscene profits have overtaken and diminidhed cannabis culture, this might tend to be advantageous in the long run as commercial becomes less marketable but the domestic scene for quality cannabis, in this country were small quantities of drugs had been decriminalized in the early 90 may actually benefit in the end, provided some of the classic strains, growing practices, and cannaculture servive political upheaval and changing times.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=36181

To repost the IC link this is Motaco's post #8. The legendary Sativas are legendary among old smokers I know. First read a glowing review of the local classic landrace strains by Ed Rosenthal in Hightimes in the 80s. Santa Marta Gold has been characterized by a friend as having a distinctly pleasant earthy taste. Here is the well written post, with some details edited out per BL rules.:\

COLOMBIAN SECTION

la mano negra colombian black

Primo colombian red rider collected while staying in colombia.

Colombian weed found it's way onto the american market at the beginning of the 70s and towards the end of the seventies it was the dominant herb on the market. Numerous different types from regular commercial to a cascade of reds, golds, greens, browns, and purples, but the classic Colombian Gold being the trademark followed by Panama Red. Referred to in it's day as "the smokable quaalude" it's heavier more narcotic effects made it very popular in it's day. Remember there was very little indica bud or hashish around in these days it was almost all sativas so the tranquilizing stone of Colombian was very exotic.

The earliest days Colombian weed were some of the best. Indians in the mountains who grew personal weed had some of the finest quality of the era. It was some of the very first sensimilla. The males were not removed, but the seeds were hand picked out of it for next years crop. They were allowed to fully ripen (hence all the yellow leaves of it's final appearance), and taken care of. When original Colombian Gold hit the market in the early 70's it was some of the finest weed most had smoked. The problem is very few smoked it. It was very hard to get more than a 1/2 ton at a time of weed this labor intense. And so what happened in Colombia is the same thing that happened in Thailand a decade earlier when soldiers found Thai stick. A small group of people grew amazing pot and it attracted large buyers. There simply was not enough weed for buyers this large and the growers switch from small intensely cultivated fields of fine genetics, and into large commercial operations based on money. Just as Thai sticks had been replaced with phony inferior commercial sticks, Colombian Gold would be replaced by massive shipments of "fools gold". A commercial plant that paled in comparison.

As Mexico's infrastructure grew it made the country much easier to control and eradicate marijuana. Large amounts of grass were still coming from Mexico but political pressure forced it into a shadow of it's former self. But by this time the demand for marijuana in American markets began to need an almost industrialized supply. The isolation of Colombia and lack of infrastructure allowed the safety needed to growers with massive plantations and the majority of marijuana sold in the US switched very quickly from Mexican to Colombian commercial. Busts got larger and larger every year, some exceeding twenty tons on one ship.

In '78 Jimmy Carter favored a decriminilization of marijuana, but after a scandal involving his drug policy adviser being seen snorting coke at a NORML meeting Carter could no longer afford to look soft on drugs. Marijuana was an easy target due to the high volumes of product needed to make any money. Tighter enforcement involving the Navy and AWAC (Airborne Warning and Control) systems put an end to high volume loads of smuggler planes and boats, reducing what it could supply to the market, and eventually making it more trouble than it was worth, forcing growers to look back to Mexico and increasingly to domestic supplies. Marijuana smuggling turned sour and Colombians turned to the more lucrative cocaine business, ending it's significance to US smokers for good. By the mid 80's very few shipments were coming from Colombia and the era of "C-bo" was officially over.

special thanks to RACO, not only for having the foresight to save this but also the heart to type it back into english for us. Thanks bro. I really mean it....

LINKS
alduous colombian
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=30830

chamans tropical grow thread
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.p...=south+america

potential in south america
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.p...=south+america

chamans smoke descriptions for some colombians

Colombian Red.

Origin very contraversial, but likes the dryer seasons and higher elevations. This plant starts off very fatt leafed and has tighter nodes which makes you think it's an indica in many ways or a hybird, as it even smells while young too, but will finish to be very if not 100% sativa.

The Reds will grow about 1 to 2 feet tall, sex, and flower only dobleling in size under 12hr conditions and tropical climate if that as too a Gold when starting can finish 3 or 4 times her size easy. the Reds will put out red colors on leaf stems, branches and main stalk too. Leafs are a darker green then the golds and the smell is strong, even with out rubbing or touching. When cutting jeje stand back even...It's a more pugnent, sweeter smell.

Leafs don't revert as much as the golds, but doo to a degree.

It can finish in half the time the Golds but realy do prefer drier climates since can get some mold on their flowers. Very heavy on the tric's as she looks sugar bathed indeed.

High isn't as tripy or energetic as the gold but sets in faster and hits realy hard, thought disorientation is easy...forgetting what you just did, where doing or wanted too do is too easy.

It's taste is awsome, some chocolate even but it's not easy too take in, the smallest hit for some can make me and friends cough. High doesn't climb after smoking but does last for a considrable amount of time and doesn't make you feel hungover after, few to many hits can put you out though as your body goes numb...not like the Golds where you can smoke more anytime and feel higher and alive agian almost make'n you get up and dance'n. Both will give a good luagh as you do the stupidest things...

Easy to clone and revege when young, likes water only when she needs it in comparison with Golds. Very easy to care for, with plenty of branches and great main cola the yields are rewarding.

Colombian Gold, Pure sativa.

Origin is uncertain, since so many stories have been made, but these due best in vallies and lower elevations, along rivers and in humid areas.

Grows very well when started in humid seasons, and under tropical conditions best. A plant that thrives on as much water, sun as she can get while young, resulting higher female ratios and growing vigorously with mold resistance, finishing in time for the dry season.

She can go into flower under 12hr day/nights around 2-3 feet tall but will continue to grow easily even in opposite phylo reaching 6-9feet tall with branches that can come from her lowest point that can be just as long as she is tall. In Containers along with water deprivation maybe a little string, she can be controlled.

Normally very long thin colas, but not always as some will fatten as they like too keep putting out fresh pistils when allowed and cared for, giving impressive long colas, coverring from there tips all the way too the main stalk. Color goes from a very light if not florescent light green to a very dark forest green on mature leafs. When trics appear, normally in later flower these plants sparkle in the sun covered in fine sugar that makes them look almost silver.

Grows in a cone shape, nodes are tight for such pure Sativas and get very woody stems, while still green can be easy to train, or bend.

Leafs appear from single blades then 3 digits 5, 7 and up to 9 digits are common. Very heavy serrations, even double serrated sometimes. When mature leafs will revert from 9 to 7, 6, 5, 3 and finally single blades again. They will then yellow out from the bottom up, from larger to smaller then falling while pistils go from white too pink in majority. In Colder nights the calyxes can turn a wonderful purple even blues.

Smell is very special, mostly only when rubbed or mature but is of a sweet, yet kind of sour diesel pine smell. With long dries and a good cure the buds turn a copper color, hence “Colombian Gold”.

The high is energetic, stimulating mind and body, it's a soaring rocket fuel awaking high that can make some go pale, feel a accelerated heart beat and numbing of the body and brain.

The taste and smoothness make it easy to take a nice long deep hit...but wait to you let it out, thick clouds of white smoke that can bring a few tears out cough'n. Long lasting high that sets in as your starting your joint, that just keeps climb'n take'n you higher and higher even long after you finished, make'n it hard to measure when to stop smoke'n jeje

Realy makes you happy, joyfull and glow as you wish everyone could feel as great as you are. Worth the wait indeed. Can draw for hrs, sit and stare at somthing for hrs...talk for hrs jeje wifes faovrite is you can have sex for hrs too ! friends have always said the same...jeje herbal viagra, some even have called it love potion.

Colombian Creepie

Colombian Creepie,

Origin, un known for sure, seeds came from comercial bricks also. Plants seemed very much like the Golds, but I noticeds that these would grow to a certian size and then start to tip over on there own, very week looking at first as it's branches don't stiff out seem to never stiffen actually, they bend and curve with the wieght but don't snap.

The Colas have a way of getting very fat as they just stack on more and more, if the plant isn't tied up she would almost look like a vine with tips pointing up searching for light when fully mature.

The high is very special, jejej but hard to calculate. See you smoke now, feel it, but doesn't realy kick in till later. Just creeps up on you...Great laughter, very energetic, even tripy like the Golden, except kinda seems to not want too stop climbing. Easy to want too smoke another right away since you don't feel so high jeje but you'll feel it later definitly. Great to smoke before a movie or work jeje as you'll be alert, social and waiting for a good laugh.

Creepy much like the gold can be hard to calculate when to harvest as they don't seem to want to finish, coka cola bottle fat types.
Who you are is a result of the conscience decisions you make. Actions define a person- not thoughts. So whatever you do don't get bored. This is absolutely the most exciting time ever to be alive. It's not over its just begun.
Some stuff from another post I wrote in the landrace strain thread about regarding Panama Red. An interesting aside is that cannabis culture that goes back many centuries. Moreover, this modern day country was part of Colombia until the US engineered their "indipendence/revolt from Colombia" obtaining sovereinty over the Panama Canal Zome in the process which, in a bizarre way, developed into a slice of American suburbia, 5 miles on each side of the canal, in the middle of the central american jungle. It was quite a surreal place until we fully gave it back in 99' (really withdrawl of the leave it to beaver lifestyle really occured through the 80s, though.) This valuable piece of real estate for terroir and commerce was endowed with a leave it to beaver lifestyle, except Mr. Cleaver was more likely to be smoking marijuana in his pipe rather than tobbacco. Aside from the multitude of American Citizens working there, many who lived there for several generatons, being born, living life, and dying there before the handover, there were many US service men stationed in the CZ. But it was not one big military base, it was a slice of US soil in real terms (leased in pupetuety) until carter made the mistake of handing it back. So this is one of the first places US servicemen came into contact with ganja in substantial numbers. This also has the distinction of probably being the first place to criminalize weed and then decriminalize it on US soil. I was going to dtart a thread on the topic, but why not post it now. I'll also revise my Jamaican thread to post more info from a post in another thread I made...will probably have to edit this tommorow. I up late and delerious.

Panama Red

Clasic strain that Rosenthal also mentioned in his essay. Well known because of references to this variety in the media. A thread was started on this several months ago. Some good posts but the thread unfortunately degenerated into arguments and debates off the topic. Several on the thread claimed that this was a landrace strain originaly from mexico. The primary growing region for this strain was the beautiful Pearl Islands in the Pacific, due west of the Panama Canal. Cannabis was also grown on a smaller scale in the canal zone itself near a place called the chiva-chiva trail near the pacific side. One of the first studies on cannabis use undertaken on US soil took place in the Panama Canal Zone and was commisioned by the governor of the canal zone or another US Government entity, and involved US service men stationed in the Canal Zone by military physicians. The study was conducted in 1925. Apparently cannabis smoking was first identified in 1916 among US soldiers in the Zone. Possibly the first US laws prohibiting marijuana use were enacted here. This study found that, "After an investigation extending from April to December, 1925, the Committee reached the following conclusion:

Quote:
There is no evidence that mariahuana as grown here is a "habit-forming" drug in the sense in which the term is applied to alcohol, opium, cocaine, etc., or that it has any appreciably deleterious influence on the individuals using it.

The Committee recommended "that no steps be taken by the Canal Zone authorities to prevent the sale or use of mariahuana, and that no special legislation be asked for."

This led to:
Quote:
The circular which forbade the possession of mariajuana was rescinded on January 29, 1926.

This is essentially the first place and time in the US were cannabis prohibition was repealed although it was reinstituted later in the Zone.

Another positive result of this study is that:

Quote:
In December, 1928, the law forbidding the possession and use of mariajuana in the Republic of Panama was repealed.

http://druglibrary.org/schaffer/Library/studies/panama/panama1.htm

Couldn't resist but this shows that Panama, once a part of Columbia had a cannabis culture that stretches back many years. Probably end up posting this landmark study in another thread.

Anyway my wifes aunt said she got to smoke this before. She couldn't remember the taste but she said that this strain was outstanding. She last smoked it in 1978. Does remember that the taste was distinctive. The color especially- was a dark red that she had never seen in any other strain. The thing that stands out for her is the high which was psychedelic to the point of hallucination, one of the stoneyest strains she ever smoked. Incidentally, apparently Columbian buds died out in the early 80s in Tuscon.

Last edited:
Global Harvest Report- California

The december 2009 issue of hightimes put out its 2009 global harvest report. I will start out with California, my home state, with an emphasis on outdoor crop and the 2009 vintage. Greenhouse farming has increased greatly to fill national demand.
This, this doesn't mean that Californians have moved away from what they do best. Many west coast growers have enjoyed their biggest harvests ever in 2009 raising tree-sized plants that grow well beyond the 3 month cycles of indoor gardens%). Adding to their success, CA growers are tapping into the plethora of excellent genotypes found up and down the coast [Kushes and the "purples" are one of the many strains that the terroir in parts of CA favors.]
There has also been a re-emergence of classic old-school strains that collectors have kept hidden (but alive!) for generations. These strains are resurfacing in both hybrid and, in some cases, their original form. Strains such as Goo, White Widow, Cali Mist have been most prevalent, especially in the northern parts of the state. Other landrace strains have popped up, most of which are being stabalized....Original Afghani and Burmese lineages are tops in this regard, and many have breeders excited about what's to come in 2010 and beyond- Nico Escondido

The old school strains I would like to see are Sanoma Coma, Mendacino Madness, Mendacino Purple Bud (88'- 1st time I ever saw a bud that was completely purple, amazing, unique high that was super stoney and uplifting at the same time. Sticky. Christmas Tree Bud- Probably an indica, big size bud with lots and lots of crystals- definite pine smell. Made you want to curl up by a fire. Western Marin ranch grown kind bud, Sausalito Super Sativa, Big Sur Zen Bud. Christmas tree bud is what my friends and I called it. It was available through the middle to end of december as far as the beginning of January. Through the 80s Humboldt County was the Napa Valley of California Connoisseur Cannabis cultivation. The area around a town called Garberville in particular provided the perfect terroir and was a center of inovation, in much the same way that another Northern California region, the "Silicon Valley" which was esentially comprised of the city of San Jose and its suburbs, was a center of inovation in computers, basically the technology your using to access this information. Like all industries, decentralization occurs but both places are still formidable locales in their respective fields. In the late 80s- Indicas were really prized on the Northern CA scene. As the scene matured, came greater sophistication and appreciation of old school strains. I remember getting an indica or mostly indica that a few of us went in on and brought with us to a church ski trip in tahoe- Squaw Valley, Heavenly, Mount Rose. I remember that this had a kind of piney smell too. The high was uplifting and energetic- this is why I am sometimes puzzled when I hear indica- couch lock, sativa- energetic. Smoked good, relaxing laid back tropical sativas too. The high was perfect for this snow boarding trip. "Rocky Mountain High" and all that- the clear headed, uplifting, mountainlike, for lack of a better term was a perfect match with my environment.%) Kush/ Himilayan Indicas thrive at high altitudes, maybe some strains were selected because they went with the mountain environment (high complemented this). Except for the conoisseur conect I had for a few years that was strain savy, most of the buds i got were either kind/KGB (killer green bud), thai, homegrown (probly mex), or hash. Indica and indo were synonymous (lame) and buddah thai or the buddah could either be commercial thai or dirtweed from the ghetto. Gangster/rappers liked to use this terminology. Had friends in highschool that prefered schwag- they would get it from their mexican cousins in the hood bacause kind bud got them too high and paranoid.8o What they couldn't get in shitty weed they made up with by getting fire crank, good coke, and crazy ass, catatonia producing lenios.

Keep tuned for reports on other areas- and feel free to share your own comments on the 09' vintage where you live. Next: British Columbia or Colorado

Also, it would appear that the terroir in Southern California south of Santa Barbara might not be as poorly suitable to cannabis cultivation as I had speculated. Apparently, a good number of classic CA strains originated there and thrived in their local environment. Also, got alot of info on the myth of the mythical haze strain and its origins from one of Motaco's posts in IC. Might post might not. Has extra stuff I havent seen elsewhere on the web- has been debated ad nauseum. I would imagine some people might be interested but a few might become violently ill unless their favorite strain of gange is around if they hear a single thing more by the whole debate.

Also- looking for info about thai. What strain is grown in which part of the country. Or any experience anyone has had with thais/ buds fromse asia.

Last edited:
British Colombia, Canada; Colorado, USA

Never been to Colorado but always respected that state, especially the town of Boulder that I had alot of friends move to, pass through, come from through the years. I wonder what are the regional centers of the outdoor growing scene and which strains thrive. Anyway, according to HT. The growing scene there seems to be dominated by indoor grow ops which isn't surprising. Typical strains floating around include banana kush, chem dog, AK-47, LA confidential, choco chunk, and grape ape. New strains on the scene include PTK (Peach tree Kush), and pink satin. Now to the question of terroir. crazy weather paterns this summer including tornados and hailstorms did nothing to spoil the 09' vintage in Colorado.-Big Croppa

Now on to our brothers and sisters, subjects of her majesty Queen Elizabeth II in those Provinces to the north .

Up in Canada, British Colombia specifically, the season started with the usual last show of bravado by winter in refusing to relinquish its domain, but, as always, the warm weather eventually prevailed. The funny thing about Canada, is that our vast geographical area and variety of climate zones pretty well guarantee that someone somewhere is enjoying is enjoying perfect conditions for growing our countries unofficial plant-cannabis [ note by spun: CA fits the description of variety of climate zones and their effect of good conditions somewhere better than Canada. Also, according to Cannabible 2004 was an especially prestigious year- in BC, that is]. According to this article, the conditions in 2009 were epic. Warm spring, which was perfect for planting, followed by an even warmer summer on Vancouver Island where the growers were especially blessed: a week of sunshine followed by a couple days of rain, then more sunshine followed by more rain, and so on. The sunlight increased as the summer wore on which was great for the crop but bad for the water table. The bottom line...2009 is an epic vintage for cannabis cultivation in BC
They might keep the best crop for themselves...and we get stuck with the left over beasters (they have always had a green thumb when it comes to cannabis cultivation- or would it be more appropriate to call it a pink thumb). But thats what we get for poisoning their socialist paradise with acid rain.

More discussion on modern CA super clones/strains in later posts. No time permiting and I can supplement post # 25 that has rather antiquated info and some stuff from personal experience not expert opinions.

Last edited:
Wow you are spun. I can't really contribute to this thread anything other than I heard that if you grow weed in a soil with alot of heavy metals and stuff it gets stuck in small compartments inside the stem or someshit like that. its impossible for them to get out since the vacuoles are extremely resilient. But its mostly not a problem if youre smoking the frostiest, at least for me it hasnt. ANd ive smoked 3-4lbs a month for the past 5 years now. Mainly in the form of extracts however, occasional blunty here and there. Ok peace im out.

Southern Hemisphere

Wow you are spun. I can't really contribute to this thread anything other than I heard that if you grow weed in a soil with alot of heavy metals and stuff it gets stuck in small compartments inside the stem or someshit like that.

I smoked heroin and other drugs on Al foil for over a decade and look at how good i turned out.8o

Union of South Africa
The Sothern Hemisphere has many great pot cultures such as Paraguay, Brazil, New Zealand, Malawi, Swaziland, Australia, New Caledonia, South Africa, to name a few. There outdoor grw season is different from the North so outdoor's in Oz and SA you tend to see crops. Were talking I believe like march, april, may, correct me if I'm wrong. No data 0n latest vintage. Most of the weed is produced is Lesotho and Swaziland, two independent countries. South Africa, is the home of many great Sativa Landrace strains including Durban Poison. Transkei would appear to be the epicenter for growing Dagga, kind of the Humboldt County with warmer, little more humid weather. The original strains came from Kerala, India, SA have a huge Indian expatriate/imigrant/ethnic community. Buds have been there a long time-Franco,Green House Seed Co/ HT A peculiarity, drug wise to this beautiful, diverse country is Mandrax (methaqualone/Qualludes)- few places that still have a seen for it especially in Western Cape). Methaqualone

Australia
Suffered from last years fire, especially the victorian countryside which I am guessing are a hotbed for cannabis- good wine is grown their and New South Wales. Quiz: Does anybody know what crop Tasmania is known for globally-from which a famous cooking spice is derived.easy answer, but trippy if you happen not to know. Another trippy fact. Where as Victoria sells bags by weight. Sydney bases the price on quality- $50.00 bag would yield different size depending on weed.

East Coast, Itally, Spain, Mexico

:(East Coast

Mostly indoor: sour diesel, chem dog, ect...

However, the classic strain strawberry cough is grown outside. An unsual abundance of rain made for a good year-Nico Escondido

Itally

The outdoor scene is centered in the south. Here a landrace strain similar in appearance to Orange bud called Calabria Rosso

Spain

Tolerant attitude. Thriving scene. Weather that I always equated wuth maybe Northern California in the Basque region. In adalucia one would expect southern california growing conditions:\

Mexico

Treasurechest of landrace strains. Indoor huge growops are sproating up:(
In the 70s in the Sierrra Madre Orientale great Landrace strains like Acapulco Gold, Morelos Black, Verde de Zihuateanejo, and Lima limon:) from the mountains of Oaxaca. The schwag these days (the vast majority is from Durango and Guadalajara (although Guadalajara green was a strain regarded in the back day.)

The lazy tropical Sativas used to grown late oct to nov. Now its Aug and sep. Harvest time is over by day of the dead. According to HT a strain originally landrace from thai came to mex and acclamaited over 4 years to the pacific mountains becoming energetic sativa snmall bushy plants. This is the sativa. my experience of sativas back in the 90s and few years ago were burn out bud that made you motivated and depreseted. Looked sativa or hybrid to me. Those dunb assholes down there need to bring back the classic strains or have their industry perish.

Hope you guys liked these posts. In the dec 09' hightimes for more in debth material. Hopefully this thread didn't boar anyone- Please add experiences, especially gaps of left about outdoor harvests, any other material about the interplay of land, water, genetics, sunlight, and quality cannabis. Especially like to hear some classic info on indicas since I got so much of motoco's posts on Sativas.

This is a great thread. Like you said, the fires took out quite a few crops in Victoria. We need to medical laws to help kickstart the culture. i always ask people about strains/what they get, and they just look blankly at me... its so sad for those of us who want to experience more then schwag!

its annoying when you mention strains and a dealer just says "its weed, man, whats a strain?"

^ I wouldn't buy from someone who said it like that. I do get "I don't know what the fuck it's called man, but it's fire headies. Name it yourself, I don't give a fuck" all the time.

Glad you like it sega 420. With the move to decriminalizing this fine herb there is an interesting fact kost in history. In the Early parts of this century many states and territories of the US made cannabis illegal. One such place was the Panama Canal Zone. After a couple years of it being illegal the local authorities decided the law was a waste of time and through out the anti pot law. tHIS IS DURING THE 1920'S way before Alaska decriminalized buds in 1975. One of the tests that crack me up to no end is that to test its toxicity they took a group of Canal Zone cops and had them smoke joints in front of the inquiry pannel's trained observers. Not only did the canal zone make it legal, the neighborhing republick of Panama followed the American Canal Zone's lead and repealed there laws. These days, the worst place in the US soil to be caught with a joint is the American Samoa. The cops there used to be lax but ice screwed up the scene. Anyway, my article on cannabis in the cannal zone is somwhere on bl.

With outdoor season in the Northern Hemi a few months away I figured I'd bump this thread so and legalize CA 2010.

Awesome thread Jspun. I will read it properly when I have more time.

I think back there somewhere you were talking about SE Asian weed. Both times I have visited Thailand the stuff on offer has been outdoor jungle grown sativa. Not particularly appealing to look at or smell with lots of leaf and seed compacted into bricks. Nice mellow up high though. I had heard that thai sativa's grow very tall but the locals that I spoke to about it said that they were usually only 5 or 6 foot tall...

With regard to the African stuff, they seem to like to call it by brand names but I am doubtful if what I got was actually the strain they called it. In SA the stuff I bought in the Transkei was referred to as Roibaard or Red Beard in africaans it had a very quick come on and quite strong trippy high. I took some back to Johannesburg and had an awesome day at the zoo watching the elephants get fed. Also in East Africa we were sold some that was called Malawi Gold it wasnt very fresh but still quite strong and an up high. Both of these locations looked as if they would be awesome for cultivation high summer rainfall, rich soils and plenty of warm warm sun. I read somewhere that there is a cannabanoid called THCV which is prevalent in cannabis from this region that makes it come on quicker/stronger???

I have definitely noticed differences in weed from different areas the outdoor weed from northern queensland compared to that from south western australia are different in appearance smell and effects, but Im sure it has as much to do with the varieties chosen as the terroir.

Last edited:
Just on the african weed thing. When I was in Amsterdam there was a strain on sale called Swazi Sativa. I dont know if it was just the setting I was in but it was way too trippy for my liking. Apparently the genetics came from Swaziland but it was heaps stronger than anything I smoked in southern africa.

Thanks for the kind words and contributing JSK. From what I've read Transkei is the epicenter for dagga growing. Alot in Swaziland and Lesoth apparently. The brand names- kind of sounds like what they do here in CA or in The Dam like white widow, trainwreck, ect,ect... Never been to South Africa but on my to do list. Good sativas. Durban poison is legendary, although never had it myself. I got a soft spot for classic sativas. There was a time when one could obtain magical strains from the Big Island of Hawaii, Kona and Puna districts in particular. The high and taste was so tropical and laid back. Maui too. From what I understand, Jamaican Lambsbread,ect... had similar magic qualities to the high that through natural selection had been bred to go with the vibe of the island environment. Good meaning people apparently brought seeds from holland and destryed some of the clasic pure strains. There was a time when coffee wasn't the only crop the blue mountains were known for.

When I was growing up in the 80s, about 84-85 the sought after kind bud was outdoor or indoor sativa, indica, or sativa/indica hybrids. This was the seedless "green bud" or "kind" were farmers in Humboldt, Mendacino, or Sonama, Marin counties were breeding. There were all kinds of then treats like big bud 8 inches long, purple bud, "christmas tree bud" around christmas, and a bunch of other strains that made their way into dutch seed catalogues. This was in the days of 30-35$ 1/8 ozs. Thai bud was considered the decent but second rate bud that one would smoke if kind wasn't around. That sold for $20-25 1/8th. What I would do to get a hold of some today.

There were different grades. Golden thai, Chcolate Thai that smelled like chocolate, buddah thai, mint chocolate thai. occasional thai sticks but that was a 70s thing more. This used to come through the bay area on freighter ships by the ton. I remember a huge ship bust in 87-88 and then no more thai bud. I would say that thai bud was one of the classic sativas. Juice fruit thai was another one I probably smoked but can't remeber it called as such. What were your experience with buds there. Did you try smoking Ya Ba. How about Cambodia, get a chance to make it over there. Sounds like there is a good scene there.

Had a good opium thread:

Opium Connoisuership

Some info about South Africa scene

Drugs in South Africa: A tale of 3 cities

Enjoy thread. Mexican use to be the bud that sucked. Apparently, there was a time in the 70s when it was of top quality, colombian too, especially Santa Marta Red/ Gold. My favorite all time curiosity is Panama red of the classics, supposedly grown in the former canal zone, first place in US to repeal cannabis prohibition (another good story) and the pearl mountains. I have a soft spot for tropical sativas. Matanuska Valley Thunderfuck from Alaska is probably the strongest buds I ever smoked, grown outdoors during the long days and short season of Alaska's Matanuska Valley. However, pure strains (landrace) have supposedly disapeared, but some genetic material survives.

Cheers!

Yep in the town I stayed in in the transkei there was a guy selling dagga out the front of the local store casual as you like and at the pub there was a kid with match boxes of fresh magic mushrooms also blantantly spruiking to any foreigners.

Um the thai weed I got both times was from a brick. It seemed like a sativa but comercially outdoor grown I was never privvy to any fresh home grown. It always had a very musty dank jungle aroma to it. Interestingly enough despite the repressive drug laws there in certain isolated places cannabis is openly sold and smoked.

Yep had the ya ba in Bangkok but didnt smoke it. It was a dose of meth that kept me up till dawn despite the fact that I was munching xanax like candy.