• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Family Sues PA Jail Over Heroin Withdrawal Death

you can definitely die from opioid withdrawal. Especially if its methadone. A ton of people have died in jail from methadone wd. Luckily the families sued and got a settlement.

How a guard can watch someone in severe wd and not do anything is sadistic and sociopathic in my opinion. Addiction is a medical problem, not a criminal one.

first thing "methadone" is not an opiate!!!

Eh. I thought he was just being pedantic, but the guy he quoted said opioid not opiate.

alright well i've had a good enough chuckle over all these pointless arguments so I guess I'll step in.

Although not a good friend of mine, I do know the man in the article being that I live only about 15 minutes from the greensburg area in PA. He was only a heroin addict and he did in fact die of malnutrition brought on by heroin withdrawl. There is absolutely no excuse for things like this to happen. Jails are supposed to exist to keep society safer, to keep VIOLENT humans away from NON VIOLENT humans, not as an extermination tank for anyone deemed "undesirable" by the moral majority. I mean honestly, we have PRIVATE prisons now. People are making bank off other humans being thrown in cages, it doesn't get any sicker than this guys.
Quess who else is makin' BANK on ALL JAILS and PRISONS even Federal; Ya Know the commissary ya order from O'KEEFE, ( if anyone has been in a jail with other than O'KEEFE as commissary, PLZ. write ) anyway Barbara Bush is CEO for O'KEEFE!!! True DAT!!!

It isn't an IDEA it's a FACT, Hitler invented to make bank off his soldiers, google it smartass??

First off, can you tell us your definition of an opiate? I would really like to know. I think most of the other posters here would too. After readin your post, it seems that you have no f'ing idea of wat an opiate is, so fill us in please. Just a hint tho--Heroin is an opiate and it was synthesized by Bayer pharms. Morphine is an opiate and was also synthesized by man. At first I thought maybe you were just nit picking on the difference between a opiate or opioid, but after readin that last post, i dont think you even know wat either one of them is.

Anyways, I think you are the one who needs to do some googling. If you had, you would know that the shit you are saying is ridiculous and nowhere near true.

The stuff you are talkin about is a common urban legend, and it been repeated over and over by people who are uneducated about the history of Methadone. Your post makes it painfully obvious that you are completely unaware of WTF you are talkin about. Hopefully you signed up for Bluelight becuz you wanted to learn more about drugs. Well, heres your chance to get schooled on methadone.

Anyways, onto the googling. This is the information you would find if you had googled it and read any research other than the dumbasses on sites like Yahoo Answers. Even simply reading the Wikipedia article woulda told you that you are wrong.

Hitler absolutely did NOT "invent" Methadone, and he didnt have nothing to do with its discovery. The scientists who discovered it were named Max Bockmuhl and Gustav Erhart and were not working under Hitlers direction, or to help him, and werent associated with him or his plans in no way. They started working on it in 1937 and 1938--before the war even started--and in 1939 it was complete. It was known then as Hoechst-10820 or Va-10820, and pretty much put on the back burner for a few years.

This was becuz the company that Bockmuhl and Erhart worked for, Hoechst, had pretty much no interest in exploring Compound 10820's potential at that time since they had also created Demerol (meperidine), which they thought was much more promising. And it was in much higher demand, so they focused all their attention on that until 1942.

But in the fall of 42 they decided to pay some attention to the forgotten compound 10820, and after doing some of their own tests they decided that they would distribute it, under the name of Amidon, to the German army to test it out. this trial had nothing at all to do with Hitler.

The amounts of the drug that were distributed were very small. Since Demerol was the main product of Hoechst, they hardly manufactured any methadone at all, and did not have much of a supply of it, since it was still a experimental drug. so the amounts that they gave to the military were nowhere near enough to dose an entire army, etc. It was a small scale test on a small group of soldiers, absolutely nothing even close to bein the entire military or nothing like that.

The tests found that it didnt perform well, caused too many "intolerable" side effects, and was ineffective for their needs, and was never used on any german troops again after that first brief test run. It died out as soon as it began and that was a wrap for Amidon/compound 10820's use on any german troops.

There is ZERO evidence that they ever gave it to the german troops in ANY significant amounts. it was a very small experiment that did not last long. there was no large scale use or testing of it on the troops, and it the use that there was, had nothing to do with Hitler or any kind of orders from him.

The reality of the situation is extremely far away from the (false) idea that Methadone was used to keep the entire German military doped up under Hitlers orders. And like I said--hitler most definately did not commission it, pay for it to be used, make ANY kind of money or profit off it, have any personal ties or relation to it, and for gods sake he certainly didnt INVENT it. The only fuckin thing in common between Hitler and Methadone is that they are from the same country at the same time period. Hardly a "coincidence." more like "two totally unrelated things that people constant try to tie together becuz they have heard a stupid urban legend and dont bother to do their own research."

last but not least, i dont even want to hear about how it was called "Dolophine" after Adolf Hitler.

Dolophine was never used as a trade name for Methadone until the 1950's, years after the war was over. It was trademarked by the US drug company Eli Lilly, and was never used anywhere except the us.

And the name comes from the Latin word for suffering, "dolor", and the "phine" part has 2 meanings--one from the "phine" ending of morphine, and the other one from the latin word for "end" or "finish"--"Fin." Thats where the name Dolophine came from--"end suffering/pain." Nothing to do with Hitler, especially since that name was never used in germany or nowhere but the US and it was after Hitler was dead and gone.

So.....Do you want to continue to enlighten us about Methadone and wat it "really" is?

You Can't Read?

First off, can you tell us your definition of an opiate? I would really like to know. I think most of the other posters here would too. After readin your post, it seems that you have no f'ing idea of wat an opiate is, so fill us in please. Just a hint tho--Heroin is an opiate and it was synthesized by Bayer pharms. Morphine is an opiate and was also synthesized by man. At first I thought maybe you were just nit picking on the difference between a opiate or opioid, but after readin that last post, i dont think you even know wat either one of them is.

Anyways, I think you are the one who needs to do some googling. If you had, you would know that the shit you are saying is ridiculous and nowhere near true.

The stuff you are talkin about is a common urban legend, and it been repeated over and over by people who are uneducated about the history of Methadone. Your post makes it painfully obvious that you are completely unaware of WTF you are talkin about. Hopefully you signed up for Bluelight becuz you wanted to learn more about drugs. Well, heres your chance to get schooled on methadone.

Anyways, onto the googling. This is the information you would find if you had googled it and read any research other than the dumbasses on sites like Yahoo Answers. Even simply reading the Wikipedia article woulda told you that you are wrong.

Hitler absolutely did NOT "invent" Methadone, and he didnt have nothing to do with its discovery. The scientists who discovered it were named Max Bockmuhl and Gustav Erhart and were not working under Hitlers direction, or to help him, and werent associated with him or his plans in no way. They started working on it in 1937 and 1938--before the war even started--and in 1939 it was complete. It was known then as Hoechst-10820 or Va-10820, and pretty much put on the back burner for a few years.

This was becuz the company that Bockmuhl and Erhart worked for, Hoechst, had pretty much no interest in exploring Compound 10820's potential at that time since they had also created Demerol (meperidine), which they thought was much more promising. And it was in much higher demand, so they focused all their attention on that until 1942.

But in the fall of 42 they decided to pay some attention to the forgotten compound 10820, and after doing some of their own tests they decided that they would distribute it, under the name of Amidon, to the German army to test it out. this trial had nothing at all to do with Hitler.

The amounts of the drug that were distributed were very small. Since Demerol was the main product of Hoechst, they hardly manufactured any methadone at all, and did not have much of a supply of it, since it was still a experimental drug. so the amounts that they gave to the military were nowhere near enough to dose an entire army, etc. It was a small scale test on a small group of soldiers, absolutely nothing even close to bein the entire military or nothing like that.

The tests found that it didnt perform well, caused too many "intolerable" side effects, and was ineffective for their needs, and was never used on any german troops again after that first brief test run. It died out as soon as it began and that was a wrap for Amidon/compound 10820's use on any german troops.

There is ZERO evidence that they ever gave it to the german troops in ANY significant amounts. it was a very small experiment that did not last long. there was no large scale use or testing of it on the troops, and it the use that there was, had nothing to do with Hitler or any kind of orders from him.

The reality of the situation is extremely far away from the (false) idea that Methadone was used to keep the entire German military doped up under Hitlers orders. And like I said--hitler most definately did not commission it, pay for it to be used, make ANY kind of money or profit off it, have any personal ties or relation to it, and for gods sake he certainly didnt INVENT it. The only fuckin thing in common between Hitler and Methadone is that they are from the same country at the same time period. Hardly a "coincidence." more like "two totally unrelated things that people constant try to tie together becuz they have heard a stupid urban legend and dont bother to do their own research."

last but not least, i dont even want to hear about how it was called "Dolophine" after Adolf Hitler.

Dolophine was never used as a trade name for Methadone until the 1950's, years after the war was over. It was trademarked by the US drug company Eli Lilly, and was never used anywhere except the us.

And the name comes from the Latin word for suffering, "dolor", and the "phine" part has 2 meanings--one from the "phine" ending of morphine, and the other one from the latin word for "end" or "finish"--"Fin." Thats where the name Dolophine came from--"end suffering/pain." Nothing to do with Hitler, especially since that name was never used in germany or nowhere but the US and it was after Hitler was dead and gone.

So.....Do you want to continue to enlighten us about Methadone and wat it "really" is?

Opiod, opiate they are the same, Lil one I tell ya after 31 years taking OPIATES, I was a test patrient for the MRI before the FDA approved at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. I was probably booting some good "H", as is was alot better in the '70's than today, when you were being pooped out, that's not a mistake POOPED OUT! Oxcycontin was an Cancer in patient drug only when it was developed. In other words you had to be in a hospital and had cancer to get it. I fortunately worked @ a hospital, the Pain Doc. prescribed it for me in 1990, but I had to go to the hospital pharmacy in the morning and get one pill for the day, the before I went home they would give me one for the night. Then in '95 it came on the shelves. Seems you are the only one with a difference of my posts here, maybe you can research it for yourself, if intellegent if enough??? Here I will make it easier for you, but ya gotta click da link, read carefully and COMPREHENSISELY, derived in Germany 1937.......etc.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methadone

Yes, Methadone came from germany. the drug company began developing it in 1937 and it was complete in 1939. Those things are true. Nobody is denying that.

But that dont mean that Hitler invented it, or had anything to do with creating it. You are makin up a connection out of thin air. Lots of shit was invented in germany between 1937 and 1939. if "It was invented when hitler was in power, in the country he ruled" is enough evidence to prove that Methadone was hitlers creation, then I guess every single other fuckin invention from germany at that time was ALSO hitlers creation, which is ridiculous.

you aint one to be talking about 'carefully reading" something. do yourself a favor, re-read the Wikipedia article on Methadone that you just posted. It says NOTHING ABOUT methadone bein created by/for hitler, and also explains that the popular myth that it was named after hitler, is also wrong. If you are so big on "research", maybe youll enjoy these links that all explain how methadone was not related to hitler in any way: (just a few to get you started)

http://www.atforum.com/faqs/myths.php
http://www.methadone.org/namadocuments/es03myths.html
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_Hitler_give_his_troops_methadone

Anyways, I aint sure why you gettin so upset about this that you need to try to insult me or my moms childbirth process, lol, but let me tell you this much....You may be so much older, but you sure as hell aint acting your age here.

Listen, i just want to know the answer to the question I been askin since the beginning. You said that methadone aint an opiate or opioid. If methadone aint an opiate/oid WTF is it? is it an amphetamine? A benzodiazepine? a barbiturate? A psychedelic?

You seem to think Wikipedia is a pretty trustworthy source since you quoted it before, so im wondering how you feel about their article for Methadone, the same one you used as a source in your post,where they say that "Methadone is an opioid."

I guess they must be wrong, but damn, sure fooled me. :|

When I was in the military I worked in a jail that housed afghan detainees. Those dudes were all addicted to opium and would wd real bad. We'd put em in a med seg cell till they stopped puking and craping themselves

if i was hitler i would make meth-amphetamine ha ha that keep the soldiers goin not done seems redickQ!

Uh...yes it is. Where on earth did you get the idea that it aint?

Technically methadone is an opioid but not an opiate. Methadone is synthetic, and opiate means an alkaloid found in the opium poppy or one of its semi-synthetic derivatives.

All opiates are opioids but not all opioids are opiates. For all practical purposes they work the same, as the action of methadone is similar to the action of opiates.