• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Family Sues PA Jail Over Heroin Withdrawal Death

In NC...

Here in North Carolina (at least in my clinic) they will bring you your dose (and yes, it is your full maintnence dose) for the same price of going to the clinic ($7)... but still this situation is a fuckin travesty and i cant imagine dieing like this... i hope this guys family robs the state blind... and maybe this will make some changes at least in pennsylvania

When it comes to benzos. They'll give you barbituats to keep you from dieing. I know alot of people take Suboxone/methadone with a benzo. No one want's to go to jail!! At least some of us can understand where this guy might of been at and do somthing about it.

Here they give you nothing for benzo withdrawal. Hell your lucky to even get seroquel. The doc at the pen here doesent care if you live or die. Sadistic cunt.

He reminds me of dr.mengele.

Story sounds a little fishy to me.

How many people *die* of heroin withdrawal anyway?

I dunno . . . whenever an anti-drug story comes out you pick the hell out of it, but when a pro-drug (or anti-guv'mint) article comes out you all take it like it's God's word or something 8)

i was recently hospitalized for heroin withdrawls. I also have asthma which didn't help my situation. I went into respitory arrest, shit everywhere and was on life support for two days. Was not a fun time at all.

on top of that the nurses were total assholes, I mean, I know I do dope and all but you don't gotta be a dick. I was restrained to my bed, I had a catheter, which they TORE out of me and brought me to tears with, overall I felt like the care was very fucking piss poor.

i had also gotten a tooth pulled the day before so i was in that much more pain. my skin felt like it was made out of sand paper, everything hurt me, and they were drawing blood from me, and i swear purposely missing my veins. i had to get shots in my stomach that hurt like hell....and to top it off i couldn't leave no matter what, kind of being fucked and held against your own will. i just wanted to go back to work

Story sounds a little fishy to me.

How many people *die* of heroin withdrawal anyway?

I dunno . . . whenever an anti-drug story comes out you pick the hell out of it, but when a pro-drug (or anti-guv'mint) article comes out you all take it like it's God's word or something 8)

You obviously haven't taken the time to read any of the replies to this article or you would already know for the hundredth time it's not neccesarily the heroin withdrawal that kills you, it could be the malnutrition and dehydration that comes with it.

And what the hell do you expect people to say on this website? It's a DRUG harm reduction website, most people on here are either on drugs or have been on drugs so they are obviously going to have more sympathy for those in the same position they are/have been in.

I hope they get the prison to pay out their asses! That is just so fucked up that they could let that happen. Drug addicted prisoners should be tapered off atleast.

that's fucked up eargazm. mechanisms in society funnel lots of hatred for "abnormals" and "deviants" into as many malleable heads as possible. some people live off the hate, almost literally..

I've always wondered what happens to those addicted to Opiates or Benzo's in jail. I was already aware they wouldn't do shit but didnt know FOR SURE... this is a disgrace that our society is so ignorant to addictions.

dont confuse w/d from either of those medications with heroin withdrawal...There is different types of withdrawals that occurs with diff. drugs. Wat u experienced was not the same as heroin withdrawal....2 very different things, the symptoms you said dont even really describe heroin w/d its 10000 times worse than that so u cant even begin to imagine :(

I agree they are very different things , but i dont think you can say heroin wd is a 100 times worse than this or that ssri , i also have my doubts about this article , if the guy died from convulsions related to heavy benzo use its kinda obvious that ifd he was also a known smackhead people arent going to say he died from Medication withdrawal , shit he could have been hooked on huge amouts of oxy and he would still have been a heroin addict in the eyes of the outside world and even his family

ps here in the netherlands we addicts are getting spoilt in jail that is , you get your methadone every day , home delivery kinda. Still they can and will try to fuck you over with stuff like medication even if its your asthma meds.

just my 2 cents

Read the original article again- there is no mention at all of Benzodiazepines or convulsions. This young man died of untreated Heroin withdrawal sydrome- the immediate cause of death is believed to be malnutrition- as a result of untreated Heroin withdrawal.

If he were a Benzo addict, or Oxycodone addict, it would've been alleged as such in the lawsuit brought forward by the family of the victim. They would've had a better case if he were denied prescribed medications.

I disagree that spoiling is the word to use for giving addicts proper medical treatment while incarcerated.

Read what the United Nations has to say about human rights.

grain of salt

Read the original article again- there is no mention at all of Benzodiazepines or convulsions. This young man died of untreated Heroin withdrawal sydrome- the immediate cause of death is believed to be malnutrition- as a result of untreated Heroin withdrawal.

If he were a Benzo addict, or Oxycodone addict, it would've been alleged as such in the lawsuit brought forward by the family of the victim. They would've had a better case if he were denied prescribed medications.

I disagree that spoiling is the word to use for giving addicts proper medical treatment while incarcerated.

Read what the United Nations has to say about human rights.

All news artilcles must be read with a grain of salt. also his familmy my not have know he was an alcoholic, benzo or barb. addict.

For an otherwise healthy young person to die from complications of opiate WD is pretty unheard of, I understand the skepticism.

Not impossible, just damn unlikely.

alright well i've had a good enough chuckle over all these pointless arguments so I guess I'll step in.

Although not a good friend of mine, I do know the man in the article being that I live only about 15 minutes from the greensburg area in PA. He was only a heroin addict and he did in fact die of malnutrition brought on by heroin withdrawl. There is absolutely no excuse for things like this to happen. Jails are supposed to exist to keep society safer, to keep VIOLENT humans away from NON VIOLENT humans, not as an extermination tank for anyone deemed "undesirable" by the moral majority. I mean honestly, we have PRIVATE prisons now. People are making bank off other humans being thrown in cages, it doesn't get any sicker than this guys.

Private Prisions

Jails are supposed to exist to keep society safer, to keep VIOLENT humans away from NON VIOLENT humans, not as an extermination tank for anyone deemed "undesirable" by the moral majority. I mean honestly, we have PRIVATE prisons now. People are making bank off other humans being thrown in cages, it doesn't get any sicker than this guys.

We have had a private industry, part of the general prison industry. I have tried to make everyone I know aware of this problem. The private prison industry disgust me to no end.

I didn't know you can actually die from heroin withdrawals. I've gone threw it many many times and while you feel like your dieing and wish you were dead, I've always been told that it can't be fatal. You learn something new everyday.

you can definitely die from opioid withdrawal. Especially if its methadone. A ton of people have died in jail from methadone WD. Luckily the families sued and got a settlement.

How a guard can watch someone in severe WD and not do anything is sadistic and sociopathic in my opinion. Addiction is a medical problem, not a criminal one.

many locked up were on methaadone prior to so being so. Not my point

you can definitely die from opioid withdrawal. Especially if its methadone. A ton of people have died in jail from methadone WD. Luckily the families sued and got a settlement.

How a guard can watch someone in severe WD and not do anything is sadistic and sociopathic in my opinion. Addiction is a medical problem, not a criminal one.

I'd say that an addiction to a strong short-acting opioid is much more deadly. Also I have this feeling that w/d from, in general, fully synthetics (short acting) is more dangeripus.

I hope his family gets filthy rich from this.

BTW i was in jail in arkansas once and i knew i was going to have DT's so i told the nurse. she asked how much i drank and i told her about a liter a day. they gave me xanax for 1 week and tapered me off. point is, all the people at the jail had to do was have a little bit of compassion and they couldve saved the guys life. fuck them.

so what are the regulations/process. What steps does someone take when:

1.) They are hooked on a drug like heroin, and then go to jail, and start wd'ing?

2.) Someone is using methadone/suboxone and then goes to jail..?

3.) Someone is taking a non-narcotic drug like seroquel or celexa?

4.) Someone is taking a more mild narcotic than methadone, like Lorcet?

What is the process? Are you allowed to continue taking your medications in any circumstance... I know they have a Jailhouse nurse that comes to the door and stuff. But if you were on Lorcets and somas for a Back injury (couple years back) and your placed in jail would they continue to let you take the medicine a medical physician deemed appropriate for you BEFORE you went to jail...? Just wondering

I am enrolled in a Methadone Maintenance Treatment and get 120mg a day, which is actually more than I need to feel normal, for that I need 100mg a day so I save up 20mg each day as well. A couple of months ago I was arrested and after my arrest was sent straight to jail. The same day a doctor from the mental healthcare institution came by and asked me about the medication I take. I told them about the Methadone and the dosage, and at what clinic I'm enlisted. I also told here about the dextro-amphetamine I take daily for my ADD, and that I also take Rohypnol each night to sleep and am prescribed it, which wasn't actually true but I was allowed to grab some medicine from my home during my arrest to take with me to jail, and so I wisely grabbed some Roofies. The doctor prescribed me the Methadone at the dose I was prescribed before my arrest, as well as the dextro-amphetamine and Rohypnol. The doctor only inquired about my Methadone prescription and whether if that was true according to my Methadone clinic, but never bothered to ask my general practitioner about the dextro-amphetamine and Roofies ....

After staying 6 day's in jail, I was sent to prison for another two weeks, and the prison had it's own doctors as well as their own pharmacy. Once I arrived there, everything was already taken care of before I even went to see the prison doctor for the first time. However, the doctor there didn't want to prescribe me the Flunitrazepam anymore because I was already getting Methadone, I though that was insane, I just as well might have been a long term benzo dependent person ...

To reply to the four questions;
1# People who are addicted to Heroin can ask for an intake appointment with a mental /addiction healthcare professional when they arrive at the jail or prison, and they will see that doctor before the end of that same day, no matter which day of the week it is or. Based on that the doctor on call will prescribe Methadone to stabilize the inmate and prevent any withdrawl. The inmate will be kept on a maintenance dose for the duration of their stay, they are not forced to taper while in prison or jail.

2#People who were prescribed Methadone or Buprenorphine before entering prison or jail can ask for an intake appointment with a mental/addiction healthcare professional when they arrive at the jail or prison, and they will see that doctor before the end of that same day, no matter which day of the week it is or. Based on that the doctor on call will prescribe them their Methadone or Buprenorphine in the dose they were prescribed before entering the prison or jail, in the mean time contact will be sought with the doctor from the addiction clinic who treats the inmate to verify about the Methadone or Buprenorphine. The inmate will be kept on the same dose as prescbribed beforehand to be used as a maintenance dose for the duration of their stay, they are not forced to taper while in prison or jail.

3# People who were prescribed any other physically addictive or otherwise important medication before entering prison or jail can ask for an intake appointment with a mental or regular healthcare professional when they arrive at the jail or prison, and they will see that doctor before the end of that same day, no matter which day of the week it is or. Based on that the doctor on call will prescribe them their medication in the dose they were prescribed before entering the prison or jail, in the mean time contact will be sought with the doctor(s) who treated the inmate before entering prison or jail to verify about their medication. The inmate will be kept on the same dose as of their medication for the duration of their stay, unless for medical reasons it needs to be changed.

4#I don't know what lortab is, but if you mean with weaker opioids something like pentazocine or tramadol, the protocol and treatment will also depend on wether this/these opioid(s) were used illicitly or prescribed by a doctor instead. If taken illicitly, it's the same protocol as with #1 and if it's prescribed by a doctor, it's the same protocol as with #2.

This is all for jails and prison in the Netherlands, most certainly the best country in the world to be locked up if you had to choose, I can confirm that myself ...

Also regarding fatalities caused by opioid withdrawal, Methadone and most strong, short-acting semi-synthetic opioids can be fatal to withdraw from indirectly and when untreated, but withdrawal from Fentanyl and it's directive, especially when addicted to high doses or after long time use can actually be fatal due to direct causes, and it's by far the worst stuff to withdraw from.