• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

3-Fluoromethcathinone (3-FMC)

Is it me, or is anyone else noticing and becoming most uneasy at the increasing trend of unresearched (in terms of animal bioassays, Shulginesque human trials, or even in vitro checks for receptor affinities and neurotoxicity) 'research chemicals' hitting the market?

ebola

Uneasy? I think it's exciting...

Availability never hurt anybody. Retards will be retards, it doesn't matter what you give them to play with.

This is what happens when the old favourites get taken away/thin on the ground.

Governments need to realise its better off letting these well used chemicals through than blocking them, then having to chase every other RC that starts hurting people. There is one thing the government can't stop, and thats people wanting to get high.

What the government should do is fund research into these research chemicals to determine the pharmacology and the health risks for the public's sake. Then the public can make an educated decision with this publicly funded science.

At some point humanity is going to completely explore the pharmacophores of everything, and see what just about every possible substitution can do to change the biological effects. Instead of playing catch up, why doesn't America take the lead in this category of scientific progress?

I surely miss the "old favorites."

It seems like everybody now is having to turn to research chemicals, pharmaceuticals, or cacti and root bark extractions, and I'm not completely comfortable with any of those routes personally.

Thanks for responses - again seems to be like playing with fire with regards to 3-FMC, I guess there is no way of really knowing at this stage.

Ho-hum, maybe will try a little more but then I am not really being responsible to myself, definitely wouldn't cane it.

Some people have said potentially very cardiotoxic and others have said not at all.

Ashame because quality of illegal products (Namely coke & MDMA for me) has really dropped - infact, par a few batches of real crystal MDMA (the clear variety) I haven't seen any real MDMA in the UK this year.

I am surprised these vendors are getting away with this though, as I thought that clinical trials etc. were needed for any compound into the market (even OTC, supplements etc.), I guess the bath salts thing explains that.

I can see alot of potential and abuse for people fucking up here as the average person in the street will surely just buy this from a headshop and assume it is safe because it is 'legal'. As soon as I took said product containing 3-FMC I was like - what the fuck is this!

F&B - just a quick side note/question, know this isn't the MDPV thread but wondered if it is conclusive that MDPV is actually not that cardiotoxic?

Thanks,

xNx

I surely miss the "old favorites."

It seems like everybody now is having to turn to research chemicals, pharmaceuticals, or cacti and root bark extractions, and I'm not completely comfortable with any of those routes personally.

I don't know, I trust nature more than I trust most RC vendors

Would you describe the effects as disappointing or surprising?

F&B - just a quick side note/question, know this isn't the MDPV thread but wondered if it is conclusive that MDPV is actually not that cardiotoxic?

Well it had lowest acute toxicity of all the pyrovalerone analogues and doesn't have any serotonogic or local anaesthetic activity (the main two dodgy areas for cardiotoxicity).

This is what happens when the old favourites get taken away/thin on the ground.

Governments need to realise its better off letting these well used chemicals through than blocking them, then having to chase every other RC that starts hurting people. There is one thing the government can't stop, and thats people wanting to get high.

Governments WANT people getting all fucked up high and whatnot. Now that the effects of the known psychoactives have been researched by the human population they are made illegal so new things get tried by the human guinea pigs. FREE RESEARCH!

Then government's best friend (Big Pharma) can continue research into the most promising of those and sell it as a very expensive and profitable prescription. Xyrem anyone?

coolio (at some sort of 'West Coast party') said:
Uneasy? I think it's exciting...

Availability never hurt anybody. Retards will be retards, it doesn't matter what you give them to play with.

My hesitation is more with the lack of research than availability.

ebola

What the government should do is fund research into these research chemicals to determine the pharmacology and the health risks for the public's sake. Then the public can make an educated decision with this publicly funded science.

At some point humanity is going to completely explore the pharmacophores of everything, and see what just about every possible substitution can do to change the biological effects. Instead of playing catch up, why doesn't America take the lead in this category of scientific progress?

"The public" doesn't do drugs; a very small subset of the population does. Whether it is in the public's interest to invest all that money in safe drugs is another topic altogether.

Sorry, but I have to disagree here!
This idea of yours is very idealistic, but futile at the same time. Experience shows that:

a) ...people take dangerous and harmful drugs, despite the fact that they are atually informed about the risks involved. Cigarettes are among the widest used 'substances' worldwide, so is ethanol.

b) ...by far only a minority of people is educated enough to draw any useful conclusions out of your proposed studies. And even if some do, a) applies again.

Sad world, but this is the reality we're faced with. Think practical rather than utopian.

- Murphy

Last edited:
Imagine that one could purchase MDMA, cocaine, methamphetamine, and d-amphetamine freely from RC vendors. What would the effect be on the rate of use of mephedrone?

ebola

^What would be the rate of use of cocaine and meth then? Really strange point IMO...

I was trying to show (with lackluster rhetorical flourish) that the sole reason that people will ingest things things like mephedrone is the artificial lack of safer, legal alternatives.

ebola

I was having an argument with some guy on aim yesterday about thinking that methcathinone and cathinone are probably quite good although under-rated stimulants. He was trying to argue the case that there is no need for these chems to exist when amph and meth are possible.

However, it is still unclear to me how desirable some of these analogs are that have been appearing.

What do people think about the 4-amino analog of methcat? Im assuming it has never been made.

Before people make any reference to its toxicity also consider that many of the 'caine compounds contain an aromatic amine, as well as phenacetin. Perhaps thiomethyl might also be worth thinking about.

People need to remember that these are RC's that they are playing with. Of course there is the chance that some of these compounds may turn out to be dangerous. Even if somebody thinks they are being "sensible" will probably get others trying to argue that they are dumb. There just isnt a totally full-proof way of taking these chemicals that doesnt involve some element of risk.

Last edited:
What do people think about the 4-amino analog of methcat?

Probably a very bad idea - phenacetin is horribly toxic...

However the U.S. Food and Drug Administration ordered the withdrawal of drugs containing Phenacetin in November 1983, owing to its carcinogenic and kidney-damaging properties (Federal Register of October 5, 1983 (48 FR 45466)).

phenacetin was only in my head because i was reading about the history of paracetamol.

But seriously, when I see the beta keto group in these cathinone structures it is easy to imagine seeing a para amino group there like from seeing dimethocaine etc.

An amino group as in para amino benzoic acid is essential to life, but without a big polar group to facilitate excretion (like a carboxylic acid group), I'd stay well away from it