• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

The "Kava-Kava" MEGA THREAD!

Ds

Bluelight Crew
What is "Kava-Kava"?- "Piper methysticum" also known as "Kava-Kava". Kava-Kava is a member of the pepper family Piperaceae and has widely been used by South Pacific societies for more than three thousand years. In many of these societies, the term "kava" means bitter, sour or sharp. Piper methysticum means "intoxicating pepper" Kavalactones in the "Kava-Kava" is what produces the physiological effects.

How do I take Kava-Kava? First I want to say that "Kava-Kava" comes in all shapes and size's. You can buy the root alone, and crush it into a powder, and make a tea. You can find it in a liquid extract form, high concentration, and mixed with pure grain alcohol (83-93%!) You can find it in a capsule form, pre-made "tea-bags"(tazo tea's), and most head shops sell Kava-Kava in plastic containers mix'd with flavors,(such as koolaid flavors).

What are the effects of Kava-Kava?- The effects of drinking kava include slight tongue and lip numbing due to the contraction of blood vessels in these areas, milk talkative and euphoric behavior, calming, a sense of well-being, clear thinking and relaxed muscles. Sleep is restful and there are no after-effects the next day.

Is Kava-Kava Safe?-(I'll read what it saies on the side of my kava-kava bottle). CAUTION: FDA advises that a potential risk of rare, but severe, liver injury may be associated with kava. Ask a healthcare professional before use if you have, or have had, liver problems, frequently use of alcoholic beverages, or are taking any medication. Stop use and see a doctor if liver symptoms occur (unusual fatigue, abdominal pain, appetite loss, dark urine, pale stools, yellow eyes or skin). Not for use by persons under 18 years of age, or by pregnant or breastfeeding women. Do not take with alcoholic beverages. Excessive use may impair ability to drive, or operate machinery.

Is it legal? It is legal in the USA.
Other places please check to see the legal status of kava in your country!
*snip*

Where do I find Kava-Kava? Well since it is against bluelight rules for me to post exactly any websites that sell it. I can tell you that Kava can be found at organic food shops.

Please feel free to post any questions, concerns, or experinces with kava-kava!
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Which type would you recommend someone buy to try it out? The regular dried lief, the extracts, the powder? Also could you discuss what a GOOD price on all of these are so we can use it as a basis to not get ripped? I been meaning to try kava for a while :) Also I see that there are differnt types or different kava plant names... Any types that you recommend?

Forget the capsules, extracts etc, the ONLY way to take kava is by preparing a drink from the powdered root of the plant. Here in the UK, kava is not available for sale, you can however import it for personal use.

I buy mine from a grower in Hawaii...can't post the source here obviously ;) *snip*

^

Agreed. I get powdered root from Fiji. All those capsules and tinctures pale in comparison.

If your expecting an amazing high from kava you'll be dissapointed. It's a subtle, mellow relaxed feeling, best for chilling at home, reading a book, winding down from a long day.

Yeah I love Kava. Havne't done any in about a year, but u got me thinking about it again. Now I have to get some.

I highly reccommend purchasing your Kava online. While you could purchase some capsules at an organic store and take a lot, I really reccommend pure powder that is meant to be strained and drank.

I recommend that anybody buying capsules check the nutrition panel on the back first to compare the %kavalactones that they contain. It can vary pretty dramatically from company to company. All of the capsules that I've seen are not only expensive, but contain a pretty low percent of kavalactones-- usually about 30%, but I've found a few with more. There isn't anywhere near me that sells the actual roots, but the ones I've seen in online stores have significantly more kavalactones, sometimes as high as 85 or 90 percent.

I used to drink kava hot but was told that the traditional way is to drink it cold. If you really want to drink like the Fijians, use a cloth strainer and drink out of a hollowed out gourd with a group of friends.

Which type would you recommend someone buy to try it out? The regular dried lief, the extracts, the powder? Also could you discuss what a GOOD price on all of these are so we can use it as a basis to not get ripped? I been meaning to try kava for a while :) Also I see that there are differnt types or different kava plant names... Any types that you recommend?

I always use the liquid, it is sold in little glass bottles or vile with a dropper in it.
Go with the one that has the most Kavalactones in it. Just read the back side in the nutrients. It tastes really bad so be sure to mix it with a soda (It makes it kick in faster to!) I always mix mine with mtn dew. I use a shot glass or a small old medicine bottle, and make a nice "Kava Slammer".
If you get the good kava with lots of Kavalactones it will make your tongue go numb!
As for the capsules they make all sorts of liquid caps, and powder root caps. I
try to go with the liquid caps if I can find them, but the powder caps work just as good, (its pretty much the kava-kava root, but crushed into a powder.)
You can also find that kava-kava also comes in a tea box, with the kava already in a tea pouch. These arnt that bad, they have some cinnamon, and other herbs in it to make it taste better, and you don't need hot water!
Also check out youtube, and search for kava kava preparations. Some videos show you how to make the traditional tea.
Enjoy! :)

I always use the liquid, it is sold in little glass bottles or vile with a dropper in it.
Go with the one that has the most Kavalactones in it. Just read the back side in the nutrients. It tastes really bad so be sure to mix it with a soda (It makes it kick in faster to!) I always mix mine with mtn dew. I use a shot glass or a small old medicine bottle, and make a nice "Kava Slammer".
If you get the good kava with lots of Kavalactones it will make your tongue go numb!
As for the capsules they make all sorts of liquid caps, and powder root caps. I
try to go with the liquid caps if I can find them, but the powder caps work just as good, (its pretty much the kava-kava root, but crushed into a powder.)
You can also find that kava-kava also comes in a tea box, with the kava already in a tea pouch. These arnt that bad, they have some cinnamon, and other herbs in it to make it taste better, and you don't need hot water!
Also check out youtube, and search for kava kava preparations. Some videos show you how to make the traditional tea.
Enjoy! :)

If anyone really wants to get some kind of decent effect you should use powdered kava from a reliable source.

^Yeah that's true, buying it online from a good source is good if you plan on buying the root alone(or the root powder). I've made good friends with a guy that owns a organic food store, and he always orders the best.
Places like "Whole foods" sell all kinds of kava products, and it's normally expensive($15-$50 a vile or capsules). Just be safe when you order straight kava online, try buying a sealed bottle somewhere and try it before you go and buy kava online.
Also kava-kava is nothing like salvia! It's pretty much a herbal klonopin, and it doesn't show up on a drug test!
Don't be stupid and try to take an entire bottle to feel the effects, kava in really high doses can seriously harm your liver!
Be safe and know what your doing :)

i once ate like 20 capsules to get to a recreational level of klavecstones or whatever they're called and woke up the next day puking. i did experience mild levels of relaxation though.

i once ate like 20 capsules to get to a recreational level of klavecstones or whatever they're called and woke up the next day puking. i did experience mild levels of relaxation though.

That's really dangerous!! No one try to attempt this!

I bought some drink from the energy drink section of my local 7-11 that was called Novacaine. It had kava in it.

tasted SOO bad. i didn't even drink half the can and didn't get any numbness like it advertised. maybe i had to drink it all :(

If 7-11 is selling it, its probably not going to get you high.

The fresher the root is which your grinding up or have already ground up, the more of a pronounced effect the Kava will have.

To the person who pm'd me about kava, :\sorry I can't reply due to my Greenlighter status.

Its after 50 posts that one attains Bluelighter status & can then send pm's I think...soon as I reach that I'll reply with the info you requested;)

If 7-11 is selling it, its probably not going to get you high.

The fresher the root is which your grinding up or have already ground up, the more of a pronounced effect the Kava will have.

Oh i didn't expect to get high, i mostly just bought it for the wtf factor. kinda like i buoght that cocaine energy drink just because. had to show somebody haha.

Yes, kava tastes like shit, makes me gag if I'm dropping the drops right into my mouth. That's why i mix it with mtn.dew, or sprite. I try not to taste it, just drink it in one gulp. I have mixed kava powder and ground cinnamon together and brewed a better tasting product.

Kava is the nastiest substance I have ever tasted except for MDA. It tastes like a combination of pepper, dirt, and numbs your mouth like cocaine. Kava works quite well for anxiety and I have gotten a "drunk feeling" from it with higher doses. It's not as good as benzos in my opinion though for anxiety, but still works.

However, the shit you would find at your local health food store will probably not be worth a damn. If you plan on trying Kava then order freshly ground root powder. <snip>